Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

ruddiger posted:

There's a band called Tryptycon? Are they any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQsuagpSDtM
answer: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The new Ufommamut released yesterday. I was able to give it a proper listen last night. It obviously rules and you should buy it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

The new Ufommamut released yesterday. I was able to give it a proper listen last night. It obviously rules and you should buy it.

I've had the last song on repeat for a while now but the whole album is excellent. I was a little hesitant about them adding vocals but they fit really well.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ruddiger posted:

There's a band called Tryptycon? Are they any good?

Do you live under a rock or something?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
No I think he just hasn't heard of a metal band

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hihifellow posted:

I've had the last song on repeat for a while now but the whole album is excellent. I was a little hesitant about them adding vocals but they fit really well.

They had vocals on Eve !

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

hihifellow posted:

I felt the same way but the vocals in this one song I heard off this new album meshes so well with their sound that I was immensely happy with it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They had vocals on Eve !

Yeah I forgot, but I think the vocals mesh with the songs better on Ecate anyway

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2015/3/31/9l7z10mktt1x4ftsrkrk0v4owww8cv

Phone posting so hopefully that link doesn't screw up, but Decibel is streaming the new Minsk album, it's really good Neurosis worship.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They had vocals on Eve !

I think they have vocals on both ORO LPs, but they're pretty much inaudible. Actually, when someone mentioned how they thought it funny (or exciting, or something) that they have vocals this time around, I had to listen both OROs through to find that they indeed don't have prominent vocals on those records and I just hadn't noticed. As for what they've released before Eve, I haven't listened to those records all that much.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Crowbar are touring North America this summer.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

Frank Caskelot posted:

As for what they've released before Eve, I haven't listened to those records all that much.
They have vocals on pretty much everything they've ever released. And if you haven't checked out Snailking you need to remedy that immediately, it's pretty much my favourite thing they've done.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the first 4 albums are imo much better than these eve's or oro's. great grooves, riffs and SONGS instead of this long rear end arty fartsy stuff. not that i don't enjoy that stuff now and then, but i rarely if ever put a 50-minute song on unless it's dopesmoker.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
the cavern is really good

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I agree that Snailking is Ufomammut's best. They must think so too, because they've been reusing riffs from that album on pretty much all of the subsequent releases.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

nerve posted:

the cavern is really good

It's awesome. It and Lesbian's Forestelevision are, to me anyway, some pretty towering accomplishments.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Robophile posted:

They have vocals on pretty much everything they've ever released. And if you haven't checked out Snailking you need to remedy that immediately, it's pretty much my favourite thing they've done.

I've listened to it a couple of times while doing something else and then forgotten to give it a decent listen, since I don't have a physical copy of it. Shameful, I know. I'll remedy that sooner or later, unless I forget again.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New Ufomammut is good as heck.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've mentioned this before but there's a synth sound Ufomammut uses on Snail King that makes me physically uncomfortable. It's that gurgle-ly sound on Demontain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4f5l8OsFwg

I finally listened to the new Monolord track. Can't wait for the album, seems like they are getting better, not that they were no good before.

Also, Conan is touring the U.S.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Has the new Bell Witch song been posted in here yet? Because it's pretty rad.

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/four-phantoms

I love those John Carpenter-esque synths in the beginning.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've mentioned this before but there's a synth sound Ufomammut uses on Snail King that makes me physically uncomfortable. It's that gurgle-ly sound on Demontain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4f5l8OsFwg

I finally listened to the new Monolord track. Can't wait for the album, seems like they are getting better, not that they were no good before.

Also, Conan is touring the U.S.
Makes me think of the thick synths on Lucifer Song. It's such a basic, slow progression with a really aggressive tone and no subtlety but it works really well with the other elements they incorporate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuokANvtjCM

I got listening to Omega Massif again. That first LP is so good, I need to give their second one more of a chance.

Just a few days 'til Roadburn, holy poo poo!

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Check out Royal Thunder's new record if you like music, it's super good!

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Agreed. Also Marriages (feat. ppl from Red Sparrowes but very different stuff) and Blackout (reminds me of old Melvins),

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Check out Royal Thunder's new record if you like music, it's super good!

No way. I had no idea they had anything new.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

ChickenArise posted:

Agreed. Also Marriages (feat. ppl from Red Sparrowes but very different stuff) and Blackout (reminds me of old Melvins),

New Marriages? Hot drat I'm on it.

Seconding new Royal Thunder. Album of the year so far for me.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The new Minsk is really good. They're one of the few post-metal bands I can give a poo poo about that aren't Neurosis or Isis.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm off to see Electric Wizard. I might cry.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/goatsnake-reveal-brand-new-song-elevated-man-with-terrorizer/

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Huh, turns out I still like Goatsnake. Probably going to have to listen to this a few times through, and then purchase the new album or whatever. The horror...:negative:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
they're one of my favourites, i've got all of their albums and they're really great live. i saw em back when guy pinhas was still in the band, him & greg rogers are an amazing rhythm section. one of the tightest in heavy music.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 8, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yesss. I forgot they had a new album coming out, but I am extremely psyched to see them later this year.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm off to see Electric Wizard. I might cry.

All my internet jealousy is direct towards you and anyone else who was able to go. Around when tix went on sale I stupidly waited a day too long only to find it sold out and the resale prices around +$150.

At least I have the fantastic new Royal Thunder album to ease my anger. That build up on Time Machine :burger:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Xenochrist posted:

All my internet jealousy is direct towards you and anyone else who was able to go. Around when tix went on sale I stupidly waited a day too long only to find it sold out and the resale prices around +$150.

At least I have the fantastic new Royal Thunder album to ease my anger. That build up on Time Machine :burger:

I got in for free because the website I freelance for has connections to the venue :smug:
And I went with someone who found a ticket for under face value on Craigslist because the seller had his daughters coming to town. Dude had to miss At the Gates the night before too.

All in all it wasn't as great as I built up to be in my head for four months, but it was still really solid. Setlist is pretty great too (spoilers if you're weird and need to go in to shows blind):

Witchcult Today
Black Mass
Satanic Rites of Drugula
Dopethrone
Return Trip
Incense For the Damned
Time to Die
The Chosen Few
Funeralopolis

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I got in for free because the website I freelance for has connections to the venue :smug:
And I went with someone who found a ticket for under face value on Craigslist because the seller had his daughters coming to town. Dude had to miss At the Gates the night before too.

All in all it wasn't as great as I built up to be in my head for four months, but it was still really solid. Setlist is pretty great too (spoilers if you're weird and need to go in to shows blind):

Witchcult Today
Black Mass
Satanic Rites of Drugula
Dopethrone
Return Trip
Incense For the Damned
Time to Die
The Chosen Few
Funeralopolis

Hmm I'm a big idiot for not thinking about that, I'll keep my eyes on craigs for some dumb-dumb who can't go to the concert.

And that's a pretty good setlist IMO, still jelly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly the most surprising part for me is that they only played for 80 minutes and had no encore (although it's tough to come up with a better closer).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
That show was amazing and I'm pretty sure I almost died

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

That show was amazing and I'm pretty sure I almost died

I'm assuming you somehow made it into the crowd then. I was toward the back after waiting in and eventually giving up on the merch line. I also didn't get there until 8:30 because I came straight from work.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I got their wayyy earlier than expected since the Cubs game got canceled and traffic was way lighter. Was up on the barricade right in front of Jus for the first 4 or so songs, then I hung out in the middle for a while, then for the last few hung out in back by the beer bar on the left.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It always funny to me how much Peter Stahl from Goatsnake sounds like Ian Astbury from The Cult. I mean that in the best possible way.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Saw Thou perform Heathen in its entirety at Roadburn. gently caress me, what an intense experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ElectricWizard posted:

Saw Thou perform Heathen in its entirety at Roadburn. gently caress me, what an intense experience.

Well I'm jealous