Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Someone posted this Extended Building Information mod the other day:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=

I'd be all over it but it seems to have a built in randomized name generator function built in that I won't be able to disable. Does anyone know if it will play nicely with the Randomized Building Names mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413792924 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Xtanstic posted:

Someone posted this Extended Building Information mod the other day:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=414469593&searchtext=

I'd be all over it but it seems to have a built in randomized name generator function built in that I won't be able to disable. Does anyone know if it will play nicely with the Randomized Building Names mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413792924 ?

Nope, they aren't compatible, and the author of the Extended building Info mod probably won't release an Extended Building Info mod without strapping it with a bunch of pointless knick knacks that further waste real estate with the already busy mod. His source code is available, though, so maybe someone can just steal it and cut out the random names and stupid descriptions?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

This is me and why I have never had a city with more than 30k people. I get jealous of everyones ability to make these cool functional cities while mine look like randomly placed crap. :(

Im starting to think part of it is because where I live is very poorly designed so its all I know.

Embrace it. It's more realistic anyway to have city planning always be a year or two behind actual, pressing, painfully obvious need. Anyone can play a city planer with dictatorial powers. Playing the guy who has to try and make the city work while trying to avoid pissing off the mayor's constituents is much more fun.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Agreed. I live in Boston and the layout here is basically a cluster gently caress because when the city was founded something like 75% of the landmass didn't exist

it has destroyed my ability to make a grid city. i am just like "gently caress it, i'll drag this road over here."

need to make a mod that puts random streets in construction mode so people have to find detours. Also it requires a police car to just sit there, so you have to up your police budget by a bunch.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Nope, they aren't compatible, and the author of the Extended building Info mod probably won't release an Extended Building Info mod without strapping it with a bunch of pointless knick knacks that further waste real estate with the already busy mod. His source code is available, though, so maybe someone can just steal it and cut out the random names and stupid descriptions?

Urgh so it begins the modding drama

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xtanstic posted:

Urgh so it begins the modding drama

Mod feature creep is a constant with any moddable video game, unfortunately. "I already have my code base so why make a whole new separate mod from scratch when I could just add on to this one?" is the bog standard attitude for most modders which sucks because their initially cool one-note mods end up bloated and buggy and poo poo for all their effort.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My outgoing train line is getting bogged down by cargo trains and I have no idea how to fix it. There's a line of cargo trains as far as I can see outside city limits.

I thankfully have a completely isolated passenger rail system so it's not affected.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CJacobs posted:

Mod feature creep is a constant with any moddable video game, unfortunately. "I already have my code base so why make a whole new separate mod from scratch when I could just add on to this one?" is the bog standard attitude for most modders which sucks because their initially cool one-note mods end up bloated and buggy and poo poo for all their effort.

The worst thing about the workshop is that mods automatically update, so you can't even go download the original version of the building info mod, and it updates your version without your consent. Which is sort of scary, considering that some butthurt modder could go ahead and gently caress over a ton of people's computers if they throw a tantrum.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Antti posted:

My outgoing train line is getting bogged down by cargo trains and I have no idea how to fix it.

Bulldoze all of your cargo stations. Then build them again.

Actually bulldozing them is the important part, that will remove the trains going to/from each station, and in the process will hopefully clear whatever was causing the backup.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I got this building info mod and it's great but half the real-estate is a huge blub of tiny barely readable fluff text. I wish someone would delete that fluff text and make the actual important info bigger :(
Modders are weird.

Also can you not get monuments/landmarks when you play with everything unlocked?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 1, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

nielsm posted:

Actually bulldozing them is the important part, that will remove the trains going to/from each station, and in the process will hopefully clear whatever was causing the backup.

Thanks, this worked! Hope it won't come back. It was probably a one-off from when I separated the rail systems in the first place.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Antti posted:

Thanks, this worked! Hope it won't come back. It was probably a one-off from when I separated the rail systems in the first place.

One thing you should do is make your intersections larger. Each of the connecting strips of rail should be larger than a single train in order to help prevent congestion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

I keep having this problem. Freight traffic is light, but every time more than a couple trains go off the map I get a line stuck :(

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

I found chirper to be annoying at first, but the ticker mod really makes it usable/helpful. Why they didn't do it this way, I don't know, but I expect CO to steal that idea in short order.

What a great #mod! I would think I'm #dreaming if I didn't know otherwise.

I like the idea of chirper as an advisor replacement but so far it just doesn't seem very useful. If your cims complained about stuff like a lovely bus line or poor service coverage in their neighborhood (and you could click on a tweet to see its location), they would probably be handy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm in a German suburb for the first time and now I finally understand why all those top-tier low density residential buildings get solar panels up the rear end. Goddamn, it isn't even that sunny here. Are tax writeoffs involved in all this or something? Some American houses have solar panels, but man, I really want to see per capita use comparisons.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
That Hadron Collider is -crazy- good. Land value skyrocketed, my city went from 40% highly educated to 85% in about 3 minutes, and I've got entire blocks of offices at level 3 in places I don't think I had any level 3s at all before.

Finally starting to think about adding rails, now that industrial abandonment is getting to be moderate and my roads are pretty much unfixable. No commercial complaints yet.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm in a German suburb for the first time and now I finally understand why all those top-tier low density residential buildings get solar panels up the rear end. Goddamn, it isn't even that sunny here. Are tax writeoffs involved in all this or something? Some American houses have solar panels, but man, I really want to see per capita use comparisons.

Yes, there are massive subsidies for solar in Germany. The power situation there is very complicated at the moment.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The worst thing about the workshop is that mods automatically update, so you can't even go download the original version of the building info mod, and it updates your version without your consent. Which is sort of scary, considering that some butthurt modder could go ahead and gently caress over a ton of people's computers if they throw a tantrum.

I was using a power station someone decided to remove from the workshop so next time I loaded my game I had to figure out why the whole city was blacking out suddenly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ofaloaf posted:

Check the energy thread in D&D, there's basically massive massive subsidies and policies that have resulted in skyrocketing energy costs, a rapid expansion of coal mining, and the de-mothballing of a bunch of coal and fossil fuel burning plants. The whole thing's been a huge hand-out to well connected "green" energy companies and anti-nuclear hysteria. A whole lot of bad math and bad science created a really really bad energy policy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

very complicated at the moment.

Sounds like paradise for a german.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

crabrock posted:

it has destroyed my ability to make a grid city. i am just like "gently caress it, i'll drag this road over here."

need to make a mod that puts random streets in construction mode so people have to find detours. Also it requires a police car to just sit there, so you have to up your police budget by a bunch.

I need a mod that makes Storrow Drive and makes it so trucks hit it and cause traffic jams

Also, what mod is it that auto-deletes all abandoned buildings? A bunch of my industrial buildings abandon all at once even though there's no demand for any sectors.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This is really cool.

What renderer did you use to get that? I honestly can't find an OSM viewer/whatever that isn't a bunch of opensource wankery.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I think my city has been killed by garbage piling up. I have an incinerator but really need two more for parity so I'm papering over the cracks with landfill. Even with half of my landfills empty and most of the city free of traffic problems, every single house has the 'garbage piled up' alert. How?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

I think my city has been killed by garbage piling up. I have an incinerator but really need two more for parity so I'm papering over the cracks with landfill. Even with half of my landfills empty and most of the city free of traffic problems, every single house has the 'garbage piled up' alert. How?

On this note I just unlocked incinerators. Is the best method to just build a bunch then empty my landfills into them and delete them?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baronjutter posted:

Check the energy thread in D&D, there's basically massive massive subsidies and policies that have resulted in skyrocketing energy costs, a rapid expansion of coal mining, and the de-mothballing of a bunch of coal and fossil fuel burning plants. The whole thing's been a huge hand-out to well connected "green" energy companies and anti-nuclear hysteria. A whole lot of bad math and bad science created a really really bad energy policy.

Isn't Germany vehemently anti-nuclear power? I mean, to the point that the average German makes the average American sound like a pro-nuke zealot in comparison?

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Also can you not get monuments/landmarks when you play with everything unlocked?

With the milestones unlocked mod? You should be able to plop down unique buildings, and eventually the big monuments.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Crisis averted on my garbage issue, I took out a loan, plonked down 3 more incinerators, cut services and raised taxes to cover and my city turned green in a massive hurry, just sorting it out and returning to normal now. That was a scary half hour.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Enos Shenk posted:

What renderer did you use to get that? I honestly can't find an OSM viewer/whatever that isn't a bunch of opensource wankery.

It's one of the renderers that comes with the program the author recommended.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

Isn't Germany vehemently anti-nuclear power? I mean, to the point that the average German makes the average American sound like a pro-nuke zealot in comparison?

They were going to build a bunch of nuclear reactors until Fukushima happened and then the government scrapped the project with a big 'lol gently caress no.'

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Moridin920 posted:

They were going to build a bunch of nuclear reactors until Fukushima happened and then the government scrapped the project with a big 'lol gently caress no.'

Which is hilarious because Germany is just as geologically unstable as Japan. :rolleyes:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also modern 21st century Nuclear power plant design and general architecture vs 1960s versions. :v: Whatever, Nukes are bad! M'Kay?

It'd be awesome if this game modeled NIMBY. "Sorry Mayor, we know this highway baypass through downtown would relieve crushing gridlock in the streets, but MY LAND VALUES!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Noise Pollution effectively acts as NIMBY in a lot of cases.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alkydere posted:

Which is hilarious because Germany is just as geologically unstable as Japan. :rolleyes:

Yeah it would have helped them out a lot but oh well scary atoms radiation scary.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also modern 21st century Nuclear power plant design and general architecture vs 1960s versions. :v: Whatever, Nukes are bad! M'Kay?

My favorite take on it was Anno 2070 where the Tycoons' options for power were coal or nuclear. Only if the Tycoons went nuclear you'd get a notification every five to ten minutes that "an incident occurred" just to freak you out (because they can go off). Oh, and the Tycoon citizens will every so often put up a petition saying "Tear down the nuclear plants or we'll stop paying taxes for two hours of gametime!" so the Tycoon is basically limited to making only polluting coal power plants.

The funniest part was that neither the Tech nor Eco factions would even blink to sharing an island with a nuclear reactor. Only the Tycoons objected to their own power plant.

MikeJF posted:

Noise Pollution effectively acts as NIMBY in a lot of cases.

Yeah, you can treat noise pollution as a light NIMBY effect, whereas actual ground pollution is a heavy NIMBY. No one gives a gently caress about water pollution though. :v:

I've been using a mod that gives me recycling centers. They're basically inceneration plants with half the garbage removal capacity, no power production, twice the area and cost twice as much. But they only produce noise pollution, no ground pollution, so I can place them in residential/commercial zones no problem.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 2, 2015

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've found that 11-12% taxes are about the maximum for no complaints ever. I've got about 16k people and bring in just over 12k in revenue each cycle

Also I managed to put a dam in without flooding everything on my first try.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Alkydere posted:

Yes. The catastrophe in Fukushima in 2011 helped to bring it back into peoples minds that they already wanted to get out of nuclear energy back when Chernobyl happened in 1986. People were already fairly opposed to nuclear energy before 2011, but according to official numbers the support for nuclear energy dwindled from 34 to 26 percent. It isn't just people being panicky and blowing the dangers out of proportion though, as it culturally just never had much acceptance to begin with. I assume some of the dislike for everything nuclear just culturally integrated itself during the cold war when the discussion of whether germany should have nuclear plants at all caused a lot of contention, although I haven't really studied the issue close enough outside of having read a few critical texts from the fifties and sixties.

Another neat anecdote: The south-western federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg had federal elections in 2011 and had always been a stronghold for the conservative CDU, which has a more moderate attitude towards nuclear power and has been incumbent since 1953. They lost the elections to the green party, which nationwide always used to register at about 5 to 10%.

And maybe I just watched too many episodes of Captain Planet in the nineties, but I don't even have it in my heart to use coal or oil plants in this game as opposed to just relying on solar or wind power. At least solar and wind power is somewhat efficient and can work out in the dreamy world of video games.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 2, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm not sure how this happened.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Elman posted:

I'm not sure how this happened.

Does anyone else see a cock'n'balls in this road layout? I can't unsee it now. :stonk:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Thel posted:

Does anyone else see a cock'n'balls in this road layout? I can't unsee it now. :stonk:
There must be something extremely wrong with the cock(s) you're familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Is the 'Reset Unique Building Unlock' button in the options menu bugged? I downloaded the Los Santos map early on just as a way to see how my computer would handle a larger city before I got too into the game, which unlocked everything. I'd love to reset that and unlock them myself but that button doesn't seem to work for me. Or am I misunderstanding what it does?