Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
HHC - Duh
A, B, C - rifle companies
D - Heavy weapons / AT (M2/Mk19/TOW)
E - Logistics

As an FSO I was technically part of HHC along with my fisters but we reported/lived/slept/farted with our line company. I developed a bad attitude towards HHC authority and everyone let me get away with it. This did not serve me well, down the road, as a squadron S2.

This is the same for both infantry battalions in light and air assault (lol) BCTs. I can't speak for airborne or heavy obviously.
E co is technically part of the BSB. Across all BCTs, E and F support respective infantry battalions, G goes to the artillery battalion. This was one of the shittier parts of BCT task org. The support companies effectively had 2 parent units, one for promotion/professional development/mentoring, and one that made their lives hell every time support wasn't delivered flawlessly.

I forget which supports the cav troop. Who cares.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

E was part of the BSB for us as well, and I think it's where the engineer attachments went too. HHC/HHT hate is a universal thing in line companies. Then you get up there after company time and find that you don't have a real job anymore.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Airborne infantry battalions are setup exactly like light infantry, they're just dumb enough to exit "perfectly good" aircraft.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

BaconAndBullets posted:

Airborne infantry battalions are setup exactly like light infantry, they're just dumb enough to exit "perfectly good" aircraft.

At least they don't redesignate themselves air assault and jerk off to black & white memories of having once had that role

BAND OF BROTHERS
-every change of commander speech in the 101st ever

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zeris posted:

At least they don't redesignate themselves air assault and jerk off to black & white memories of having once had that role

BAND OF BROTHERS
-every change of commander speech in the 101st ever

hey buddy, when we were in afghanland we boarded a chinook and it took off and landed and we walked off that chinook and we called it an air assault mission

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole posted:

hey buddy, when we were in afghanland we boarded a chinook and it took off and landed and we walked off that chinook and we called it an air assault mission

Must be nice to have a combat star on your air assault bad...ohhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Must be nice to have a combat star on your air assault bad...ohhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

:rolleyes: I can't believe I am responding to this with a serious reply but approximately zero GWOT combat drops had any merit beyond the extra rectal star-shaped scarring inside some GO who pinned his badge to the tip of his All American buttplug

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Cole posted:

Yeah, but did you drive a Gator off the back of that Chinook? :smug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A mortar landed 6000 miles away from me, do I get a CAB?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Yeah, but did you drive a Gator off the back of that Chinook? :smug:

But did you watch your buddy's Apache guntape footage of the gator lose traction and fall down the mountain

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Zeris posted:

But did you watch your buddy's Apache guntape footage of the gator lose traction and fall down the mountain
:stare:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Fart

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Zeris posted:

Everyone bailed and got to fly home on the shithook so it was funny :)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

:rolleyes: I can't believe I am responding to this with a serious reply but approximately zero GWOT combat drops had any merit beyond the extra rectal star-shaped scarring inside some GO who pinned his badge to the tip of his All American buttplug

sometimes you just have a bad day tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yvt70OOAw0

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
And that's why I don't ever want to fly a 47

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

poo poo, I never realized you could see that video. I remember my brother telling me his buddy was one of the crew on that bird. What a lovely way to go.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pesticide20 posted:

poo poo, I never realized you could see that video. I remember my brother telling me his buddy was one of the crew on that bird. What a lovely way to go.

Yeah, my sister in law works with the sister in law of one of the pilots. They had a kid just to name after him. It was a girl so she got it as a middle name

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

rip Bart

gettin belly rubs in heaven

o7

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

That video is not from the Wardak shootdown.

I took a few joyrides & collection trips up and down the Konar, Pech, etc. and while it was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen (ground and air), the surface to air poo poo was always on my mind.

I felt worst for the canadian cargo helicopter dudes, because I'd give them what basic intel I could and basically apologize for the subtextual message that if any Talibans put their minds towards shooting down em down, they were gonna do it.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

White Chocolate posted:

That is truth right there. And there is no money to fix it either, is there.

Well no, but mainly because there isn't enough money to make drill into 6 UTAs a month average instead of 4 - by which, I mean enough money to replace the 75% of the reserves that would loving quit. It's a matter of there not being enough time to fix it no matter how much money there is.

As it is, I do enough free work for the Army. I have a weekly "readiness teleconference" on Tuesdays I have to be on - for loving free - if I had another day of drill every month, even with pay, that might just push it over the edge to "the retirement is not worth it any more."

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Zeris posted:

I felt worst for the canadian cargo helicopter dudes, because I'd give them what basic intel I could and basically apologize for the subtextual message that if any Talibans put their minds towards shooting down em down, they were gonna do it.

One of our guys was going to BAF or whatever in one of those Canadian choppers, they picked up some more people and then I guess got lit up. Some goat herder got lucky and hit one of the passengers in the rear end. Everyone else on the bird stuffed this dudes backup rear end in a top hat with everything in the IFAK/ILSK whatever and they made an emergency landing at a French base and everyone is fine now but just kind of a funny story.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Secdef visits drum to announce1250 from 1st bct headed to Iraq

Secdef has a way with words:

quote:

"Some of you are recently back from Afghanistan. Some of you are off again to Afghanistan," Carter said. "And some of you — and this is important — will be going to Iraq, to train, advise and assist the Iraqi security forces so that they can be the force that sustains the defeat of ISIL after ISIL is defeated, which it will be. But in order to sustain that defeat, we need a force on the ground, and that's what you'll be helping to create."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'll bet he just charmed the pants right off the lot of 'em.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kiryen posted:

Well no, but mainly because there isn't enough money to make drill into 6 UTAs a month average instead of 4 - by which, I mean enough money to replace the 75% of the reserves that would loving quit. It's a matter of there not being enough time to fix it no matter how much money there is.

As it is, I do enough free work for the Army. I have a weekly "readiness teleconference" on Tuesdays I have to be on - for loving free - if I had another day of drill every month, even with pay, that might just push it over the edge to "the retirement is not worth it any more."

My non-drill workload has plummeted since I've moved out of a line unit to become non-primary staff at the brigade level. Any day spent in drilling status is better than being on active duty, but with that being said, it's to the point where my time is worth far more than the money I make on drill weekend. I see very little value in continuing my reserve career after my service obligation provided my civilian company finds a long-term project to hold my SCI.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

My non-drill workload has plummeted since I've moved out of a line unit to become non-primary staff at the brigade level. Any day spent in drilling status is better than being on active duty, but with that being said, it's to the point where my time is worth far more than the money I make on drill weekend. I see very little value in continuing my reserve career after my service obligation provided my civilian company finds a long-term project to hold my SCI.

I have a little over a year left as Battalion XO and then I plan to move to some training unit that goes around OCing and doing exercises for other units and getting a break from this poo poo. After being an HHC commander and now XO I've had more than enough ov being "involved" all the time. My latest hobby is refereeing between captains that cannot get along with each other.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Kiryen posted:

I have a little over a year left as Battalion XO and then I plan to move to some training unit that goes around OCing and doing exercises for other units and getting a break from this poo poo. After being an HHC commander and now XO I've had more than enough ov being "involved" all the time. My latest hobby is refereeing between captains that cannot get along with each other.
My latest hobby is refereeing between captains that cannot get along with each other.

New thread title.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This will be the Army thread from here on out. No need to close and start a new one tomorrow :)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
We're doing megathreads now? The mods are dead, long live the mods

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
someone complained about having to rebookmark the thread

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
having to rebookmark the thread every month is like having to rebookmark the dick in your rear end when you reenlist

it's triggering

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Isn't the army all about creating extra work for no reason which only adds to the clutter and makes it harder to keep track of things?

I thought we were just doing what we were supposed to do!

vvv :golfclap:

Aranan fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Aranan posted:

Isn't the army all about creating extra work for no reason which only adds to the clutter and makes it harder to keep track of things?

I thought we were just doing what we were supposed to do!

This satisfies the other Army requirement: to have antiquated poo poo on your property book long after it's ceased to be useful or maintained.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Knew about this poo poo right after the CG (Townsend) got back from Afghanistan and his loving bumper plates started showing up well after hours at our battalion, before we even went on block leave before JRTC. It started being eye-roll worthy after the first couple times we heard something along the lines of, "WE MIGHT BE GOING SOMEWHERE GUYS, WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE, AND IT'S NOT AFGHANISTAN LOL!"

Thank gently caress I was in the back forty supervising retards blowing poo poo up when SecDef came through.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
e;

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/careers/army/2015/04/01/army-tatoo-policy-change/70783186/

A surge is a-comin'
Unless it's april fools.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
It is easy to solve. If you can't see it in class A, not offensive, it is a go. Done.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Odierno said he and other Army leaders have listened to soldiers.

April fools!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I really thought that's what this was gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
wow come on N4I you didn't even let it stay up for the day where's your sense of humor

it's ok, the intel was extracted...

wait a minute i clicked on this thread on april 1 2 22.22%
i'm way too high to care 0 0%
??? 1 11.11%
*mulatto butts ringtone plays awkwardly in formation* 6 66.67%
Total: 9 votes

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 2, 2015

• Locked thread