Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nate RFB posted:

So he factions that were at play here...

Akane's father planned to have those three killed anyway because of various reasons, and figured he might as well use it as leverage in his negotiations with a rival group. To this end he hired Sloan/Varona through those two big shots (the guy with the cane/scars and the other guy with the scars). Shizuo showing up was unexpected and someone else's machinations. And Akane getting kidnapped was also obviously not part of this plan. Varona was spared because the yakuza were approached by Egor who promised them they'd give the group preferential treatment in buying guns as payment.

The kidnapping and basically everything Varona/Sloan did for shits and giggles was because of Yadogiri Jinnai, whose plan we don't know yet. He is also somehow involved with Ruri, I think? Presumably he's the actual one who roped in Shizuo. I guess I'm still not clear on whose plan that was if it wasn't Izaya's. Actually not sure what Izaya was really doing this arc at all besides getting the gently caress out of dodge early.

No real confusion with the gang war at least, I think that was pretty clear cut by the end.

To be exact Akane's father had hired Sloan to kill the three guys that Shizuo was blamed for killing. Akane's father did not want it to get out that he put the hit on the 3 guys right away so he let Shizuo take the fall for a bit. Sloan and Varona kidnapped his daughter on Yadogiri Jinnai's orders which is why he sent the Top Brass of his Yakuza to take them out. Varona's father made a deal with the Yakuza to spare her despite her crimes against both the Russion Mob and Yakuza and Egor was the one relaying the deal.

Varona and Sloan attacked Akane on orders from Yadogiri. (He knew that Celty was hired on as a bodyguard and Varona wanted to take her out for fun.) Yadogiri before going into hiding from the Yakuza for stuff we don't know he did used to be Ruri's manager who apparently made her do some bad stuff or something. Varona's job to take on Anri was by a different client. (Presumably Izaya as he like the only other person that would do that.) Yadogiri had nothing to do with Shizuo, Izaya framed Shizuo for the murder and tried to get Akane to kill him. As a result of Shizuo getting involved with Akane and the Yakuza, Varona and Sloan's kidnapping failed. As retribution for messing up his plan by getting Shizuo involved Yadogiri had Izaya stabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ah, the climax of Volume six. One of my favourite part's of the entire series. A very entertaining and incredibly confusing clusterfuck of 3 different plans and a bunch of individual moving parts. It's great.

I was actually pretty worried that they wouldn't be able to do the pen stabbing scene well, focusing more on the immediately shocking stuff (with the stabbing itself) rather than what was actually important. But due to Aoba's reactions they made it pretty clear that the actual kind of messed up part about the whole scene was Mikado's sudden, absolutely sincere switch to "Thank goodness. I'm so happy that we can work together. :)"

My favourite scene was Mikado's conversation with Chikage though because I think it has a bit more impact in the anime, since the first season added stuff that showed the Dollars as a more positive force than in the novels. It's pretty great because it brings up the important point that the Dollars is a pretty messed up and kind of really bad idea, and this information causes Mikado to freak out.

Also, Masaomi continues to be the most useless character because immediately after his girlfriend finally gets him to go and confront his problems he runs away again because he's too scared to talk to his best friend now that he's crying. Keep at it guy.

So how long does anyone think this thread should stay up for? Because I don't see there being much discussion in here during the three months before Season 2 of Season 2 starts. Or should it just be left open anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just leave it open, if no one has anything to say it'll just die off

unless people just start going full hog with discussing ln stuff then maybe close it, i dunno

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The thing I got from this episode is that they serve shark and shark fin soup at Russian Sushi.

Simon, no :smith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pandaK posted:

The thing I got from this episode is that they serve shark and shark fin soup at Russian Sushi.

Don't worry it's Loan Shark.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't worry it's Loan Shark.

Hey now, Tom is an upstanding fellow

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

July my rear end! :mad:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

YEAH I GAVE IT ALL AWAY, THE HARD ROCK BAND

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Shizuo kicking the vehicle was some next level poo poo.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If i could somehow wish it into existence, i'd have this show animated by the team that did Yozakura Quartet. That show definitely had the much better 'absurdly overpowered people doing awesome things' quality of animation.

But, why whine about something impossible (and also silly). Let's remember some of the good times.

I hope we can all get along until the new episodes start up in July.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

If i could somehow wish it into existence, i'd have this show animated by the team that did Yozakura Quartet. That show definitely had the much better 'absurdly overpowered people doing awesome things' quality of animation.

Well, there's an idea... but I think this show had a good enough style of its own that I wouldn't really want that to happen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be exact Akane's father had hired Sloan to kill the three guys that Shizuo was blamed for killing. Akane's father did not want it to get out that he put the hit on the 3 guys right away so he let Shizuo take the fall for a bit. Sloan and Varona kidnapped his daughter on Yadogiri Jinnai's orders which is why he sent the Top Brass of his Yakuza to take them out. Varona's father made a deal with the Yakuza to spare her despite her crimes against both the Russion Mob and Yakuza and Egor was the one relaying the deal.

Varona and Sloan attacked Akane on orders from Yadogiri. (He knew that Celty was hired on as a bodyguard and Varona wanted to take her out for fun.) Yadogiri before going into hiding from the Yakuza for stuff we don't know he did used to be Ruri's manager who apparently made her do some bad stuff or something. Varona's job to take on Anri was by a different client. (Presumably Izaya as he like the only other person that would do that.) Yadogiri had nothing to do with Shizuo, Izaya framed Shizuo for the murder and tried to get Akane to kill him. As a result of Shizuo getting involved with Akane and the Yakuza, Varona and Sloan's kidnapping failed. As retribution for messing up his plan by getting Shizuo involved Yadogiri had Izaya stabbed.

In the previous episode Shiki made the mental connection to Hollywood/Ruri when he was talking with Shinra about Shizuo not being the killer; what was the point of that connection if the person who killed them was Sloan? Was it to suggest that the previous murders were actually contracts to Sloan/Varona instead of Ruri?

If this somehow requires bringing up later spoilers obviously I'd prefer to not know about it just yet, just trying to make sure all of the pieces make sense. I'm also a little confused as to why Izaya manipulated Akane using a proxy acting like him (the guy had brown hair and we never saw his face) unless he wanted to make it such that Akane could not identify him afterwards or something. Maybe it was just for shits and giggles, which wouldn't surprise me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

In the previous episode Shiki made the mental connection to Hollywood/Ruri when he was talking with Shinra about Shizuo not being the killer; what was the point of that connection if the person who killed them was Sloan? Was it to suggest that the previous murders were actually contracts to Sloan/Varona instead of Ruri?

If this somehow requires bringing up later spoilers obviously I'd prefer to not know about it just yet, just trying to make sure all of the pieces make sense. I'm also a little confused as to why Izaya manipulated Akane using a proxy acting like him (the guy had brown hair and we never saw his face) unless he wanted to make it such that Akane could not identify him afterwards or something. Maybe it was just for shits and giggles, which wouldn't surprise me.

Hmm, I forgot about that bit. That does seem odd. Ruri had very little to do with anything throughout the main conflict of this first cour, so why even make her exists? If she's gonna be important in the second half, why not introduce her there?

I feel like there's something we're missing, but I just can't see it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Hmm, I forgot about that bit. That does seem odd. Ruri had very little to do with anything throughout the main conflict of this first cour, so why even make her exists? If she's gonna be important in the second half, why not introduce her there?

I feel like there's something we're missing, but I just can't see it.

I would guess that she'll be targeted out of mistaken identity if not everyone's been briefed on Slon's activities. That brings in Shizuo's brother, and therefore Shizuo himself, and therefore...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

She's having the time of her life.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The pen scene was a stunner, awesome!

On the other hand I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that scene with Sonohara that was just strange; I just don't understand.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

anime girls feel up other big boobed anime girls because they can. what else is there to understand?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that scene with Sonohara that was just strange; I just don't understand.

I think it goes back to the whole "Sexual harassment is hilarious!" thing that is apparently a thing in Japan.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about that scene with Sonohara

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nate RFB posted:

Shiki I believe just thought Shizuo was the only one who could have killed the men so brutally with his bare hands. He then thought of Hollywood when re realized their was another barehanded murderer. It was probably to keep us guessing what the deal with the murders was.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I guess that's why they call it TITTYllation and whatnot! :pervert:

Seriously, though: I can't wait for July to arrive. Just like the opening advertised, poo poo's gone out of control, and I wouldn't want it any other way. :allears:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shiki I believe just thought Shizuo was the only one who could have killed the men so brutally with his bare hands. He then thought of Hollywood when re realized their was another barehanded murderer. It was probably to keep us guessing what the deal with the murders was.

That's what I like so much about this story: Very few of the "main players" have the complete facts. Hell, that's the whole reason Kida had to hightail it at the end of his Story Arc, not to mention how a good chunk of people think it's Shizuo the one fully responsible for the Slasher attacks coming to an end. Misinformation as plot device is often done really shoddily in some media, but when done well, goddamn does it knock it out of the park.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah I'm (sadly) used to random anime girl-on-girl tit gropes but it seemed weird that Anri appeared to find it hilarious.

I am really looking forward to more development for Hollywood/Ruri because she seemed like a potentially cool character but nothing much has happened yet.

Why did this have to have a break when poo poo is just getting exciting? :(

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah I'm (sadly) used to random anime girl-on-girl tit gropes but it seemed weird that Anri appeared to find it hilarious.

I assume she's just ticklish.

Considering who Anri is, though, Erika was really playing with fire there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume she's just ticklish.

Considering who Anri is, though, Erika was really playing with fire there.

No, that was Walker :v:

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Poor Gollum (Kazamoto) got left out of the Yakuza/Russian scene.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

pandaK posted:

Eh, if they're serving shark along side shark fin then that means it's fishing rather than finning.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Next season I hope Namie hires Tom to deliver a get well soon card.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Largepotato posted:

Next season I hope Namie hires Tom to deliver a get well soon card.

Haha. Like Namie would care enough to get Izaya a card. He has no friends for him to have hotpots with and he has no friends visit him at the hospital.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Haha. Like Namie would care enough to get Izaya a card. He has no friends for him to have hotpots with and he has no friends visit him at the hospital.

I'm sure Shizuo would gladly pay him a visit. :v:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I elect to imagine Shizuo maintaining a bedside vigil, possibly to the point of growing a beard, whereupon the first time Izaya manages to open his eyes and speak he then punches him in the face and leaves nonchalantly to the hospital staff's amazement.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I elect to imagine Shizuo maintaining a bedside vigil, possibly to the point of growing a beard, whereupon the first time Izaya manages to open his eyes and speak he then punches him in the face and leaves nonchalantly to the hospital staff's amazement.

"If that's all you were going to do, why didn't you just do it weeks ago?!"

"He had to know it was me."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I'm sure Shizuo would gladly pay him a visit. :v:

Shizuo wouldn't give a gently caress. Izaya may be obsessed with Shizuo but the feeling is probably not mutual, since when Izaya's not around Shizuo just continues on with his life only trying to murder the poo poo out of Izaya when provoked or when Izaya enters his field of vision, which is pretty much a provocation. Unlike izaya who in his off-time creates complicated plans to kill Shizuo or ruin his life.

Not even Izaya's archnemesis would give a crap about him being in hospital besides an affirmation that he totally deserved it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

RabidWeasel posted:

It reminds me of some theater friends I used to have in high school. One girl with a large chest got groped a lot by her friends because she was super ticklish in that area. Having seen it in real life make Erika come off as as slightly less of a creep... until she moved down to the crotch. I got nothing there.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not even Izaya's archnemesis would give a crap about him being in hospital besides an affirmation that he totally deserved it.
drat man you're actually making me feel sad for Izaya.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shizuo wouldn't give a gently caress. Izaya may be obsessed with Shizuo but the feeling is probably not mutual, since when Izaya's not around Shizuo just continues on with his life only trying to murder the poo poo out of Izaya when provoked or when Izaya enters his field of vision, which is pretty much a provocation. Unlike izaya who in his off-time creates complicated plans to kill Shizuo or ruin his life.

But for Izaya, that's just a casual hobby. Shizuo hasn't gotten him back for setting him up as the murderer so he has plenty of motivation to want to beat the crap out of him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

But for Izaya, that's just a casual hobby. Shizuo hasn't gotten him back for setting him up as the murderer so he has plenty of motivation to want to beat the crap out of him.

Eh, Shizuo's actually a pretty chill dude once he gets a moment to calm down. After saving Akane he seemingly just went back to doing his job and has put Izaya out of his mind. Shizuo knew exactly where Izaya's headquarters were but only actually went there after Izaya got a little girl to try and kill him even though he's had a grudge with the dude for years. Shizuo's probably pretty content to just ignore the guy's existence, Izaya usually just doesn't give him much of a chance to. :v:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

the Aozaki and Akabayashi scene with Slon and Vorona was great. i always liked the yakuza guys

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this was a good first 12 episodes and i really liked the adaptation and i hope they keep it up. the introduction of the yakuza was great. when they were introduced in the books i was like man these dudes are the real deal, the dollars, blue squares, and yellow scarves are really just small time compared to these guys, and they hammered that point home in the show. there is lots more good stuff that is gonna happen and everyone should be hyped for july.

is there one more episode that is going to be released in theaters in japan between now and july? do we know anything about that or is it still to early

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It was a good season, but I felt the pacing towards the end suffered a lot. From Mikado getting pulled to the abandoned warehouse by Aoba to the fight by the field it felt like barely anything happened and that was something like 3 or 4 episodes.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just watched the final two episodes back-to-back.

Holy poo poo :stare:

I had been spoiled on a thing that went down in the final episode (the pen scene), but I didn't know any details, and it's actually more creepy than I thought it would be.

Also the scene with Sloan, Varona and the Yakuza guys was pretty brutal, I didn't expect they would show a dude GETTING KNEECAPPED IN BOTH KNEES in one of my japanese animes.

I'll definitely be watching part two come this July.

As a final thought: Shizuo throwing poo poo around and kicking people's asses because they've annoyed him will never not be funny. "Whose bike is this?" "Uh, that's mine." "Ah, alright, I thought it was these guys', but since it's not using it as a weapon against them would be rude." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Mikl posted:

Just watched the final two episodes back-to-back.

Holy poo poo :stare:

I had been spoiled on a thing that went down in the final episode (the pen scene), but I didn't know any details, and it's actually more creepy than I thought it would be.

Also the scene with Sloan, Varona and the Yakuza guys was pretty brutal, I didn't expect they would show a dude GETTING KNEECAPPED IN BOTH KNEES in one of my japanese animes.

I'll definitely be watching part two come this July.

As a final thought: Shizuo throwing poo poo around and kicking people's asses because they've annoyed him will never not be funny. "Whose bike is this?" "Uh, that's mine." "Ah, alright, I thought it was these guys', but since it's not using it as a weapon against them would be rude." :allears:

It certainly was a bloody brutal episode.

• Locked thread