Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Terry Glenn posted:

Keep the faith man, Knicks fans all need something to hold on to during these trying times.

Everybody says they want to play in NY but what they usually mean is they want to score 50 on the Knicks at MSG :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I don't think TV would let them but I have always thought it would be for the best.

I seriously have no idea how anyone with a job gets to Laker or Clipper games at tip.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Lockback posted:

Oh I get that storyline, I'm saying if you assert that Windhorst is throwing Blatt under the bus at the behest of the Lebron camp (because Windhorst is a Lebron puppet) then you also need to explain why the Lebron camp wants him going around saying Lebron went to Miami to take PEDs (which, like, someone couldn't drive them up to Cleveland?).

Windhorst couriers PEDs up from Florida for Lebron now, yes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why do people in California start and end their days so late? I hate working with people out there.

"Well, your 9am is my 11am, so that works. Except you don't get into the office until your 11am. And then you usually putz around and go to lunch. So you'd like to start at your 2pm, which is my 4pm. Great."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MourningView posted:

I seriously have no idea how anyone with a job gets to Laker or Clipper games at tip.

Leave work early?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Illinois Smith posted:

HEY

HEY CHRIS PAUL

HOW ARE YOUR loving ANKLES CHRIS PAUL

Wow, long 2? What kind of horrible shot selection is that. I thought he was supposed to be good?

Also throw my voice in with those that says new ESPN site sucks.

And I always hated Jordan as a kid and said he was a giant ballhog (mainly because my fav team was the Pistons, followed by the Lakers). Although when I got older I had come around and def liked him more (although Pippen was still my fav on the Bulls).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lockback posted:

Oh I get that storyline, I'm saying if you assert that Windhorst is throwing Blatt under the bus at the behest of the Lebron camp (because Windhorst is a Lebron puppet) then you also need to explain why the Lebron camp wants him going around saying Lebron went to Miami to take PEDs (which, like, someone couldn't drive them up to Cleveland?).

Maybe it's like the stories about how Albert Belle (another Cleveland athlete!) used to mess around with rumors that his bats were corked by always having them delivered in special cases and not letting anyone touch them. Trying to intimidate other people or something, idk.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I believe there should be a super championship after the championship that nobody has ever won, that way all the teams are ultimately losers and everyone stays humble.

I also believe Steve Kerr is a good coach and not a Scott Brooks Luckyman because of his decision to not play David Lee constantly

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I can kind of understand an argument that Kerr is being overrated as a coach, but I don't see how anyone could argue he's not at least a good coach so far.

Part of being a good coach is being consistent, so that part is still out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Portland's proposal for a new stadium was approved:

https://twitter.com/trailblazers/status/583289240546480128/photo/1

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a good April Fools but now I really want one with a blacktop floor.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

I can kind of understand an argument that Kerr is being overrated as a coach, but I don't see how anyone could argue he's not at least a good coach so far.

Part of being a good coach is being consistent, so that part is still out.

I think a lot of being a basketball coach is preparing for the game. The actual sport is up to muscle and cardio endurance and the athlete's twitch response. It usually means the winning team is the one that can make the game more routine, as in having a good muscle memory for shots and just generally knowing what to do as the situation presents itself. Because of this I think that a coach should be judged on how prepared the team is when they get on the court, ie their physical condition and general basketball intelligence, and then after that it's really just up to managing substitutions, calling time outs, calling the occasional play or two, shouting encouragement, and realizing good and bad matchups.

Kerr's team has the best record in a way harder conference. He's being discounted because the quality of the roster but he definitely has a hand in the quality.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

I kinda hate april fools but Basketball under the lights of a stadium like that would be the coolest loving thing.,

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Kerr isn't overrated, Gentry is underrated as his assistant who built this offense into the beautiful thing that it is now. Because unlike Jackson, Kerr doesn't go NO I'M THE HEAD COACH AND WE PLAY THE WAY I WANT TO AND gently caress THE PEOPLE I HIRED TO HELP ME WITH MY JOB CAUSE JESUS TOLD ME WE NEED MORE ISO PLAYS

Also Kerr has done a great job of managing a deep rotation and keeping all the role players ready / involved, spending his whole career as a role player probably helps a lot with that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

Why do people in California start and end their days so late?

It goes hand in hand with traffic. And possibly medicinal marijuana.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kerr has been good but it's hard to tell how much of their success is from him being Steve Kerr and how much is from him being Not Mark Jackson.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Terry Glenn posted:

Mmm, yeah, KD.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12596449/kevin-durant-says-love-stick-oklahoma-city-thunder-whole-career

Another funny quote from that Westbrook profile comes from Nick Collison:

"His [Westbrook's] give-a-gently caress level is very, very high."

I believe that. He's staying in OKC.

I'm not sold on Durant having to go to DC for the Wiz to have a future anymore. They have a young, talented back court and are a piece away from being a team to be taken seriously. It doesn't have to be Durant.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tonight's Dallas at OKC game should be very important to both teams. Monta Ellis and JJ Barea are both probable to play. I expect Adams to throw at least one dirty elbow and cause someone on the Mavs to get a tech.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

With Monroe sidelined by a right knee strain for the past eight games, the Pistons have gone 6-2, snapping a 10-game losing streak that put the final nail in their postseason aspirations. Both Jackson and third-year center Andre Drummond have thrived in that span, the former averaging 21.3 points on 50.4% shooting, 11.4 assists and 6.4 rebounds, while the latter is averaging 18.5 points on 56.5% shooting, 14.4 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. And their sublime performances sans Monroe appear to be no coincidence.

Heading into Tuesday night’s game against the Atlanta Hawks, in the 267 minutes this season in which Drummond and Jackson had shared the court sans Monroe, the Pistons averaged 122.1 points per 100 possessions while allowing opponents to score just 101.8 points per 100 possessions, according to NBAwowy.com. While that comes with a small-sample-size warning, that net rating of plus-20.3 would blow even the league-leading Golden State Warriors out of the water. In the 193 minutes in which all three had played alongside one another, meanwhile, the Pistons averaged 104.1 points per 100 possessions while allowing opponents to go off for 113.2 points per 100 possessions. That net rating of minus-9.1 would be the league’s third worst, according to NBA.com.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/03/31/is-greg-monroe-a-good-long-term-fit-with-the-detroit-pistons/

The Pistons blogs think Monroe is possibly the best power forward in the history of the NBA and I disagree with them!

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Kerr has been good but it's hard to tell how much of their success is from him being Steve Kerr and how much is from him being Not Mark Jackson.

Kerr is way better than people give him credit for but you're not wrong in that he's brought in great bench coaches and hasn't fired them in front of the whole team at practice. While being blackmailed by his mistress.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

The Glumslinger posted:

Honestly, the best thing they could do to improve the fans in the first quarter would be to move the start of the games to 8:00PM. Then people would actually have a better chance to get to Staples Center after work and be on time

Yeah but the more troubling thing is that the fan base is still weak compared to other teams. We lack die hard fans that show up and scream at opposing teams. The current fans are too nonchalant.

It'sIs been a couple years since I've been to a Clippers game but when I did go, it's always felt like there were way too many fans from opposing teams.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Dejan Bimble posted:

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/03/31/is-greg-monroe-a-good-long-term-fit-with-the-detroit-pistons/

The Pistons blogs think Monroe is possibly the best power forward in the history of the NBA and I disagree with them!

How do you feel about Reggie Jackson now? Just curious if your opinion has changed.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Right, but even if New York was producing a lot of good basketball players, that would only be expected. Given its large population and that there is going to be more facilities, coachers and trainers, and the fact that there is always places to practice, it would make sense for New York City to be producing 10-20% of the NBA's players. So even if 4 or 5 NBA All-Stars were from NYC, that would still only be at par.

There are 17 active players in the NBA that went to high school in NYC.

The best one is Kemba Walker.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

danucleus posted:

Yeah but the more troubling thing is that the fan base is still weak compared to other teams. We lack die hard fans that show up and scream at opposing teams. The current fans are too nonchalant.

It'sIs been a couple years since I've been to a Clippers game but when I did go, it's always felt like there were way too many fans from opposing teams.

That's to be expected of a team without a history of success and/or consistent popularity.

Never go to a game when the opposing team is the Lakers, Bulls, or Knicks. Those teams always seem to bring in the largest Away Team crowds.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

danucleus posted:

Clippers games that I've been too seem like mostly families and kids who wanted to watch basketball but didn't want to pay for Laker tickets, so that might be some of it. If they're good for a decent stretch you'll probably get more die hards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Clippers were horribly managed from a fan-engagement perspective under Sterling. I dunno if its better, but it usually takes years for new strategies to get people dedicated to start panning out.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
NBA Eugenics News featuring Russell Westbrook

quote:

He met his fiancée, Nina Earl, when she too played basketball at UCLA

It's a real shame Spencer Dinwiddie was hurt last night, he's looked really good. It's pretty painful to watch Thabo Sefolosha miss layups that 95% of the NBA could make. His hands are like Omer Asik or Tony Allen hands.

Terry Glenn posted:

How do you feel about Reggie Jackson now? Just curious if your opinion has changed.

He's looked a little bit better. He still can't defend anyone, although he's trying a bit harder which leads to posseessions where he jumps around like a little kid.

His shooting has improved a lot and he's been taking smarter shots. You could say his passing has improved but the 1 in 4 out offense just makes his job so much easier, there's almost always a shooter who's open.

He's still not a great finisher but he's had clearer driving lanes which has led to him converting more shots.

I've noticed that his freakishly long arms allow him to corral tipped away balls more than an average player, and to pass around double teams the way other humans wouldn't be able to.

I still don't like him, but he's probably the best pg they have a chance of signing this offseason, unless they somehow move up to the 2nd pick in the draft and get Mudiay. It's a real shame about Brandon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

That's to be expected of a team without a history of success and/or consistent popularity.

Never go to a game when the opposing team is the Lakers, Bulls, or Knicks. Those teams always seem to bring in the largest Away Team crowds.

Those teams and the Celtics. The absolute craziest I've ever heard the crowd cheer for a non-Maverick at the AAC was for Jeremy Lin during the middle of Linsanity. A lot of the fans were Asians in Mavs gear that cheered for both the Mavs and Lin. I really wish I could have gone to a game in MSG during Linsanity.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

BIZORT posted:

Curry has to be the most liked player in the league by fans at this point, right?

Not indicative of anything or whatever but I don't think I've ever heard someone say LeBron was their favorite player. Jordan was everyone's favorite when I was a kid

if you ask "most liked" instead of "most popular" and correctly remember that most fans are very apathetic over anyone who's not an all-star (and no lovely east coast all-stars either, sorry the entire hawks starting 5), i think it's plausible since no one really hates curry except for his dumb appearance while there are definitely people who think lebron and durant are overrated or cocky or w/e

who are we kidding, it's still kobe

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Those teams and the Celtics. The absolute craziest I've ever heard the crowd cheer for a non-Maverick at the AAC was for Jeremy Lin during the middle of Linsanity. A lot of the fans were Asians in Mavs gear that cheered for both the Mavs and Lin. I really wish I could have gone to a game in MSG during Linsanity.

I was debating on including the Celtics. I probably should have because the few times people have expressed going to games was because they were Celtics, Bulls, or Lakers fans. :v:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BREAKING!!!!

The Sacramento Kings are planning to sign Sim Bhullar to a 10-day contract this week, according to league sources, which would establish the 7-foot-5 center as the first player of Indian descent in league history.

In LeBron coaching the team news, Blatt has made a comment:
"We have sets that we know what we're going to use going in. You know, we have a package that we're going to use going in and at times, according to the flow of the game, somebody may call out a play. I don't think that's unusual."

Personally I want to claim that LeBron is the MVP, Coach of the Year, and GM of the Year, so I choose to believe LeBron calls all the plays and shoves Blatt out of huddles.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's doing the numbers weird and it's not good numbers to compare individual lineups to other team's whole team. There's plenty of 2-man-minus-one-guy combinations that're way better than team averages, y'know, half or more of the best team's average is going to be higher than the team's average.

The best 5 man lineup in the NBA has almost certainly been either Irving, Smith, James, Love and Mozgov who're +21.5 per 100p in 441 minutes or Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Green and Bogut who're +24.8 on 160 minutes together

The Piston's best five man lineup with significant minutes this season has maybe been KCP, Drummond, Monroe, Jennings and Singler

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Illinois Smith posted:

Kerr isn't overrated, Gentry is underrated as his assistant who built this offense into the beautiful thing that it is now. Because unlike Jackson, Kerr doesn't go NO I'M THE HEAD COACH AND WE PLAY THE WAY I WANT TO AND gently caress THE PEOPLE I HIRED TO HELP ME WITH MY JOB CAUSE JESUS TOLD ME WE NEED MORE ISO PLAYS

Also Kerr has done a great job of managing a deep rotation and keeping all the role players ready / involved, spending his whole career as a role player probably helps a lot with that.

I really believe Kerr succeeds and will continue to succeed because unlike Jackson he isn't totally full of himself. Kerr doesn't believe he is a "born leader", and I am more than happy to admit that I was totally wrong about him. The lesson, as always, is: gently caress Mark Jackson.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Paul Zuvella posted:

There are 17 active players in the NBA that went to high school in NYC.

The best one is Kemba Walker.

edit: I know I missed Team [State] chat, but I just thought this was really funny.

Who'd win???

Team NYC (8.4m population)

Kemba Walker
Ben Gordon
Lance Stephenson
Metta World Peace (currently in Italy, but we're desperate here)
Kyle O'Quinn

Team Iowa (3.1m population):
Kirk Hinrich
Kyle Korver
Doug McDermott
Harrison Barnes
Nick Collison

If we're excluding New Jersey, then NYC is only the five boroughs so no Long Island. I am not entirely positive there are five active NBA NYC players, let alone 17.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 1, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Who'd win???

Team NYC (8.4m population)

Kemba Walker
Ben Gordon
Lance Stephenson
Metta World Peace (currently in Italy, but we're desperate here)
Kyle O'Quinn

Team Iowa (3.1m population):
Kirk Hinrich
Kyle Korver
Doug McDermott
Harrison Barnes
Nick Collison

If we're excluding New Jersey, then NYC is only the five boroughs so no Long Island. I am not entirely positive there are five active NBA NYC players, let alone 17.

Team Louisiana (4.65 million) aka the Power Forward State

Elfrid Payton / Langston Galloway
Marcus Thornton / Elijah Millsap / Markel Brown
Danny Granger / Garrett Temple
Paul Millsap / Brandon Bass / Tyrus Thomas
Greg Monroe / Glenn Davis

I'm trying to imagine how this theoretical team would even play. It would be terrible defensively, but what about the offense?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Team Missouri (AKA the late lottery state)

Coach: Tyronn Lue

Alec Burks
Bradley Beal
Otto Porter
David Lee
Tyler Hansbrough

Sixth man: Tolliver

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Alaska's State Team:

Mario Chalmers.

(also Carlos Boozer went to High School there for a while I think he was a military kid but otherwise it's only Mario on a gigantic island by himself)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jack's Flow posted:

I really believe Kerr succeeds and will continue to succeed because unlike Jackson he isn't totally full of himself. Kerr doesn't believe he is a "born leader", and I am more than happy to admit that I was totally wrong about him. The lesson, as always, is: gently caress Mark Jackson.

This is the best lesson to learn over and over. It's just too bad NBA teams and ESPN can't seem to loving learn in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Alaska's State Team:

Mario Chalmers.

(also Carlos Boozer went to High School there for a while I think he was a military kid but otherwise it's only Mario on a gigantic island by himself)

I think this is what most of us have been using: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/high_schools.cgi

e: Hot Rod Williams is the only player from my home town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hot Rod "John" Williams

Kibner posted:

I think this is what most of us have been using: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/high_schools.cgi

e: Hotrod Williams is the only player from my home town.

Born In is still Mario's Island tho':
http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=AK

It must have been so lonely playing basketball by himself in the blizzard, his team of strong sled dogs cleaning the boards

• Locked thread