Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You should never specify VARCHAR without also specifying a length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Simpleboo posted:

Anyone have experience creating and configuring a squid installation? Boss wants me to get one sorted and its frustrating me. Source code compiled for LDAP integration won't work and my googlefu is failing me.

What OS are you using that means you need to compile from source?

Anyway, here's a configuration guide for centos, but the config should be basically the same. you may need to substitute the correct path for "/usr/lib/squid/squid_ldap_auth"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This time, during a major software revision update for a financial system we use, the vendor decided to include a client-side SDB with the package that forced the application to run both in Windows XP compatibility mode and as an Admin.
well this seems crazy

This was not documented anywhere and the vendor did not have a clue about any of it, even their development team. Queue me having to fix their goddamned mess and find this hidden SDB that doesn't appear in the products list, doesn't appear in Add/Remove Programs (not sure how they managed this), and is only referenced in a single line in the registry that I had to dig through and find manually. They included this for "compatibility enhancement" among their customers, I came to find out, which roughly translates to "our product has a codebase dating back to 1978 and everyone that would know how to modernize it died years ago."
Heh exaggerating for effect I get it, surely the codebase doesn't actually date from 1978

So I fix this overnight and get on the phone with the vendor the next day to "continue troubleshooting." They couldn't make any headway after 5 hours of effort during business the previous day, where they clearly demonstrated to me that they had no understanding of what "escalation of privilege" means, so I happily explained that I fixed the problem for them by automatically uninstalling the SDB across our environment via an SCCM task sequence.
Wow these guys don't seem to be very competent

The second the SDB goes away, like magic, non-admins are able to use the software. Lots of stuttering ensued, including one of their "top developers" explaining to me that they had never seen an environment where everyone was not an Administrator on their machine, followed by a soliloquy about how most enterprises were moving in the direction of an "All Admin" model for desktop usage.

:stare::catstare::psyduck: :gonk:

I would understand if this was a startup vendor, but no, this was FiServ.

OHHHHHH never mind it's all clear to me now. You really should have started your post with that. FiServ is the drooling retard of the financial services world and you have my sympathies for having to deal with anything they put out.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

meanieface posted:

If anyone here works with me, I'm officially outed:
SELECT @OutString = CONVERT(varchar, @String) Collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1253_CI_AI

^^Love from regular SQL, turn your ñ into an n, etc.

Will this strip non-printable ANSI codes as well? Because if so, holy poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Day 1 and the new company I am working for is trying to gently caress me around on expense reports. If they don't have their poo poo together by Friday I am driving back home and telling them thanks but no thanks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
User wants a Surface Pro 3 because it's more portable somehow than the laptop she already has. Other departments seem to get by just fine using laptops when portability is needed. I'm sure she'll need to hang on to the laptop anyway.

Apparently this whim is an urgent request and was asked to be done in a couple hours.... user also asked if we could order the sweet keyboard that goes with it. Sure, I guess our office looks like a Best Buy or something.

Never mind the tablets were allocated to another department who paid for them out of grant money in the first place. But It's ok, IT will buy them another one on the side...except layoffs are happening soon and bankruptcy could follow because the firm is legitimately in financial trouble and the only reason we have SP3s at all is because of the grant money that department got and oh my God why the gently caress is this urgent let alone happening at all? I'm going to laugh if the backfill purchase gets denied.

I think what happened is that we didn't hide the SP3s and someone walked by and decided they wanted one and that's :siren: IT'S AFFECTING PRODUCTION :siren: and my site lead doesn't ever want to say no or push back or remind them it's not ours to give away. That or he ran his mouth in meeting and made promises to impress people or something, I don't know.

Despite it being super duper urgent, half the team is gone tomorrow for PTO and offsite (see earlier post) and another may be out sick too, leaving me the only guy on site. If I'm alone, I will push this nonsense to the side and I will be upfront as to why. This week has been "Abuse of the word urgent" week and I'm frankly out of fucks to give.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Despite it being super duper urgent, half the team is gone tomorrow for PTO and offsite (see earlier post) and another may be out sick too, leaving me the only guy on site. If I'm alone, I will push this nonsense to the side and I will be upfront as to why. This week has been "Abuse of the word urgent" week and I'm frankly out of fucks to give.

When I worked at Oracle, every email I received from March 1st through May 31st was marked urgent. The only way I could tell anymore was when I got phone calls within 5 minutes of an email being sent.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I think our company has hit a point where its like we are expected to fail on a project, but somehow we don't, so the next one is even worse. Maybe if things get bad enough a bunch of us will quit or something, then we can hire more vendors to do our work for more money. I don't know.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
MDT 2012. MDT 2012 is pissing me off to no end this week because of its random deployment failures.

One production deployment share, two task sequences, a handful of selection conditions on certain items to make sure only this vendor's laptops get their special mousepad software, and a few hundred identical-in-every-way-shape-and-form laptops to be kitted.

The deployment will fail on 20% of them, mostly in the same stage (but at different steps), and giving the oh-so-helpful error message "The action blahblah failed to execute. Error: Incorrect function (0x00000001)."

Thanks for nearly giving me an ulcer, you awkward, flimsy piece of poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ratbert90 posted:

Day 1 and the new company I am working for is trying to gently caress me around on expense reports. If they don't have their poo poo together by Friday I am driving back home and telling them thanks but no thanks.

The one you just relocated from MI to CA for? Oh no :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weatherman posted:

MDT 2012. MDT 2012 is pissing me off to no end this week because of its random deployment failures.

One production deployment share, two task sequences, a handful of selection conditions on certain items to make sure only this vendor's laptops get their special mousepad software, and a few hundred identical-in-every-way-shape-and-form laptops to be kitted.

The deployment will fail on 20% of them, mostly in the same stage (but at different steps), and giving the oh-so-helpful error message "The action blahblah failed to execute. Error: Incorrect function (0x00000001)."

Thanks for nearly giving me an ulcer, you awkward, flimsy piece of poo poo.

MDT is one of my favorite pieces of software and least in the same package. For being free, its super loving powerful. The catch is that it has a lot of quirks.

How are you installing the mousepad software? If you are using application section, using a script, or both?

You should probably update to 2013 as well.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Agrikk posted:

Will this strip non-printable ANSI codes as well? Because if so, holy poo poo.

I used this then regex to strip a lot of fun things in t-sql--just had to have it all in a function, then SET @variable = cutefn(@variable)

Of course, I'm a cowboy who uses varchar without varchar(##) in my variables so ymmv.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

MDT is one of my favorite pieces of software and least in the same package. For being free, its super loving powerful. The catch is that it has a lot of quirks.

100% agreed. Between this and SCCM my job is made a lot easier.

On the topic of Surface Pro 3s: somehow we're aggressively pushing these out to users, advertising them as complete laptop/desktop replacements. Getting these things to function with multiple monitors is a clumsy awkward thing involving Startech adapters that have really lovely USB-to-VGA adapters, and imaging them with Bitlocker has been a tremendous chore to get working correctly. There have been several tickets that our deskside team has had to deal with already for the dumbest poo poo imaginable. The best part is that the company is now deciding to crush the ISR + VDI plans I've been pushing for 2 years now to make this happen, and today I got the final order to take down the VMWare View environment for good. :(

Its a sad day for progress.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 2, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The one you just relocated from MI to CA for? Oh no :(

Boise to CA, but yeah :(

My coworker is a great guy and is smart, but the company itself seems to be a bit disorganized and wants to put all of the expense upfront on the employees.

Things they wanted me to do and I told them no way:

Buy a brand new macbook pro and expense it to them which would then be paid out at the end of the month.
Start two weeks early and skip my vacation (I pushed back and told them no way, as this was my first vacation in over a decade.)

I did start two weeks early, but after the first week went on my vacation, and this is where the expense fuckary comes in.

I SHOULD have told them I was needed to expense the first trip from Boise to SD, but I was stupid and didn't. That trip cost around 500$ in gas/lodging/food. I want at least 300$ of it back, as the other 200$ was non-business related. I talked to my boss about it and he agreed; I submitted the expense report with copies of the receipts and now they are trying to say that they will get it to me at the end of the month, when I submitted it a week ago, and I have very VERY little money in the bank account and no food in my families fridge (power company hosed up and turned our power off in the middle of my vacation, so food rotted for 5 days.)

I really hope they don't gently caress me over on the expense, because I like my coworker, but I have spent too long being pulled around by promises before.

On the plus side, the MI job is still open and the guy really REALLY wants me, but it's still in June. :v:

tldr: I am bad at finances and picking companies.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Bitlocker has been a tremendous chore to get working correctly.

Do you have SA on your VL? If so, get MBAM.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo not pissing me off: That mess I considered resigning over is being fixed. Honestly, if it wasn't handled as well as it was, I probably would have walked over it.

poo poo pissing me off: Our escalation engineer just gave notice today, which means there's going to be a vacancy and all escalations will have to go through triage before an actual engineer looks at it. It's going to be a cluster gently caress.

The perfect solution for me has always been 2 days working from home and 3 days working from work.

WFH Monday and Fridays, be in the office Tue - Thurs. That's the formula I've found works very well. However, if someone schedules a 9AM meeting, I normally dial in from home and then go in to the office after that.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

When I worked at Oracle, every email I received from March 1st through May 31st was marked urgent. The only way I could tell anymore was when I got phone calls within 5 minutes of an email being sent.

I will decide what's high importance, thanks:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 2, 2015

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Ali Aces posted:

we have 2 PMs that send EVERYTHING as high importance bc :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ali Aces posted:

Your rule it's broken, set it to mark as medium importance instead of just moving it to the trash.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo not pissing me off: my vacation

About the wfh stuff, I have 2 days that I can work from home each week, but my boss and I have a mutual understanding that I'll float my wfh days for whenever I need them. Usually when I'm expecting a package to be delivered or something.

That and Christmas. Best time to wfh since nothing is happening.

I guess I just like going into the office v:shobon:v

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ali Aces posted:

That's brilliant, looove it.

Similar: anyone who requests a read receipt, I always click don't send receipt. All emails are equally important, and all of them were read.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Just got my first do the needful email!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

Welcome to the big boys club. Your membership T-shirt is in the mail

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do you have SA on your VL? If so, get MBAM.

That's a work in progress, but my issue is specifically with BL functioning on the Surfaces. It's an issue with the 8.1 image my predecessor created and WinRE.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Migishu posted:

Welcome to the big boys club. Your membership T-shirt is in the mail

All my users are super nice but English as a second language guys. They send super rude emails because they don't get the nuance. I read them and laugh and send them how to correct it for politeness.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

All my users are super nice but English as a second language guys. They send super rude emails because they don't get the nuance. I read them and laugh and send them how to correct it for politeness.

They laugh at your reply and send more rude emails.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

TeMpLaR posted:

Let us know when you also get your first "and revert" email as well.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
gently caress you recruiters! Get your goddamn acts together - I don't need 3 of you from the same loving company calling me about this "great position we're looking to fill" (which just happens to be the same position). And no, a helpdesk position is not a great opportunity for me. For gently caress's sake! How hard is it to look at the latest entry on my recently posted resume and see "Network Administrator" as my current position, which was after my stint as an "Associate Systems Administrator"? Would it kill you to spend 30 loving seconds to read the position responsibilities and perhaps throw in some reading comprehension to figure out that a $14/hr job resetting some assclown's password over the phone is just a tad bit underwhelming? And don't act surprised or offended when I start laughing at you.

And if one more of these chucklefucks asks me for a pay range before even describing the position to me, let alone give me a listing of the responsibilities, I will somehow develop the power to reach through the phone lines and rip their loving spleen out.

I understand we should help out our less intelligent people and provide them a way to be contributing members of society, but maybe something like toilet cleaning would be more appropriate for them rather than technical recruiting. Apologies to anyone in this thread who is either retarded or a recruiter (or both) - I still love you guys.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love you and I love that post.

An alternative, when asked for a salary range before being told the job responsibilities, is to name an astronomical number. This isn't a lie, strictly speaking - it really is going to take $150,000 or $100/hour for me to blindly accept whatever position you had in mind.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's not really an astronomical number for contract work at all, though.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ali Aces posted:

This rules

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Similar: anyone who requests a read receipt, I always click don't send receipt. All emails are equally important, and all of them were read.

I feel the same way, which is why it pisses me off so goddamned much that reading an email on iOS auto-sends a read receipt. Without so much as notifying you that one was requested.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's not really an astronomical number for contract work at all, though.
It's a lot higher than any recruiter who asks about salary range before discussing the position wants to hear though!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's brilliant, looove it.

Similar-similar: there's an option in outlook to auto-reject read receipts. I don't even have to click!

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ali Aces posted:

Is the domain name in one of those "Backup Alert" rules incorrect?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Daylen Drazzi posted:

gently caress you recruiters! Get your goddamn acts together - I don't need 3 of you from the same loving company calling me about this "great position we're looking to fill" (which just happens to be the same position). And no, a helpdesk position is not a great opportunity for me. For gently caress's sake! How hard is it to look at the latest entry on my recently posted resume and see "Network Administrator" as my current position, which was after my stint as an "Associate Systems Administrator"? Would it kill you to spend 30 loving seconds to read the position responsibilities and perhaps throw in some reading comprehension to figure out that a $14/hr job resetting some assclown's password over the phone is just a tad bit underwhelming? And don't act surprised or offended when I start laughing at you.

And if one more of these chucklefucks asks me for a pay range before even describing the position to me, let alone give me a listing of the responsibilities, I will somehow develop the power to reach through the phone lines and rip their loving spleen out.

I understand we should help out our less intelligent people and provide them a way to be contributing members of society, but maybe something like toilet cleaning would be more appropriate for them rather than technical recruiting. Apologies to anyone in this thread who is either retarded or a recruiter (or both) - I still love you guys.

You're a name on a mail merge that was added because of some keyword on your resume or experience on LinkedIn.

Yes, it WOULD kill them, because they're not going to read individual resumes to pre-screen offers for some lovely help desk position. The costs to do so would outstrip how much they'd make for placement. It costs them exactly zero to send that extra email to that extra address, and if it enrages you, THEY DON'T CARE because they know that you're not exactly choosing your next position based on their own personal reputation.

I totally get being upset at recruiters, but the more cathartic thing is to either gently caress with them directly or just hit "report spam" and go on with your life. My ventricular cackles were warmed when one particularly egregious recruiter ended up on the "just send to spam automatically" list.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

NFX posted:

Is the domain name in one of those "Backup Alert" rules incorrect?

Actually it's the person who set up the system who did it wrong, the rule is just based off one of its emails, but yes and I hadn't even noticed. Thanks!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Volmarias posted:

You're a name on a mail merge that was added because of some keyword on your resume or experience on LinkedIn.

Yes, it WOULD kill them, because they're not going to read individual resumes to pre-screen offers for some lovely help desk position. The costs to do so would outstrip how much they'd make for placement. It costs them exactly zero to send that extra email to that extra address, and if it enrages you, THEY DON'T CARE because they know that you're not exactly choosing your next position based on their own personal reputation.

I totally get being upset at recruiters, but the more cathartic thing is to either gently caress with them directly or just hit "report spam" and go on with your life. My ventricular cackles were warmed when one particularly egregious recruiter ended up on the "just send to spam automatically" list.

It wasn't email - it was on the phone. When I asked the third caller if he was the same Andrew who'd called me a couple hours earlier I think his mind shut down for a second until he could blurt out "no". I confirmed it was the same company and told him the names of the other two recruiters from his company who had called, after which he said "let me check a couple things out and get back with you." I haven't heard back from him, nor have I received any emails.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Recruiters can be really lovely. Out of college I had one call me up and try to get me to move to another state for a part time helpdesk job.

On the other hand I got my current job from a recruiter that started out asking some technical questions to verify my poo poo. They helped me work things out, gave me the names of the people who would be interviewing me early enough that I could memorize them, and talked me through what to expect.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Daylen Drazzi posted:

It wasn't email - it was on the phone. When I asked the third caller if he was the same Andrew who'd called me a couple hours earlier I think his mind shut down for a second until he could blurt out "no". I confirmed it was the same company and told him the names of the other two recruiters from his company who had called, after which he said "let me check a couple things out and get back with you." I haven't heard back from him, nor have I received any emails.

... ok, I got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Daylen Drazzi posted:

after which he said "let me check a couple things out and get back with you."

Appropriate response: "Please don't"