Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, why couldn't the rest of the series have been that fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

You know, I think I laughed more at that episode than the rest of Try. And it felt good, frankly it moved the series from a 7/10 in my head to an 8, just because it was so much fun to watch. Hopefully the OVAs are Build Fighters S1 side and Try side's points of view as they go up the world tournament.

It dropped a few points for me, because that ending looked very much like a flash-forward to the following year and starting over at the qualifiers.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It dropped a few points for me, because that ending looked very much like a flash-forward to the following year and starting over at the qualifiers.

I didn't like the ending bit because dammit I wanted to see Sei pop up and say "So, you're the Try Fighters..." then a giant "TO BE CONTINUED," but that was kinda a pipe dream. It didn't affect how I felt about the episode as a whole since frankly, Build Fighters Try ended last week, this was basically an OVA, a very fun OVA but it was largely inconsequential to the plot.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clearly the Try Fighters went to the international tournament and got stomped. :v:

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That ep was so much fun. I enjoyed the rest of the series, but I was still left thinking "why couldn't the rest of the series have been this good?" anyway. In my opinion the other best episodes in Try were the one starring Mirai and the one where Lady and Tatsuya sort out Fumina and Yuuma. Sticking so hard to tournament format really hurt the series.

I wish the series could have had more Lady vs Tatsuya fights. Aside from that, the way that outside battle they might as well share a single brain definitely helps them out with the co-ordination of their dramatic posing and sentence-finishing.

I'm hoping for a series 3. If not, I'm not sure where I'm going to get the Gundam robot fighting fix that I've suddenly decided I require. (G Gundam? Turn A Gundam? People seem to say those are the best. Already seen Gundam Wing.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you just want robots smacking the poo poo out of each other you can't go wrong with G. Definitely not Turn A though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Clearly the Try Fighters went to the international tournament and got stomped. :v:

Which kneecaps the last few episodes in hindsight all the worse with all the "Sei/Mejins will face you at the World Cup" talk.

On its own merits aside from that last little sour note in the credits though, it's a good fun Gunpla romp.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Why was the series not as fun as this episode? I don't even have words for it yet, I'm still processing everything ridiculous that happened. Especially anything Meijin related.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You finally got it buddy. You finally got it. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I like to think that Ramba Ral has an R35 custom of every Zeon kit :allears:.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, why couldn't the rest of the series have been that fun?

I think the staff either spent a shitload of time on this one episode and made a rushjob of the rest of the series to compensate, or cut corners with the tournament arc so they could get as much crafting time as they could with this. Either way, I'm sure time was the crux of everything about Try.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Level Slide posted:

I think the staff either spent a shitload of time on this one episode and made a rushjob of the rest of the series to compensate, or cut corners with the tournament arc so they could get as much crafting time as they could with this. Either way, I'm sure time was the crux of everything about Try.

I really doubt this, because there's some pretty blatant cheap animation in this episode.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Neo Zeong R35 :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really doubt this, because there's some pretty blatant cheap animation in this episode.

Yeah, this was a fun episode but it looks kind of butt in a lot of places.

That one shot of Fumina, Yuuma and Ral walking had some of the most off-model animation I've ever seen.

Even most of the robot animation was still-framed.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Agreeing with all the "That was actually fun" comments, season needed more of this. The actual Domon surprise at the end wasn't much of a surprise but oh well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this was a fun episode but it looks kind of butt.

That one shot of Fumina, Yuuma and Ral walking had some of the most off-model animation I've ever seen.

Honestly I think this one got away with having actual fun in its writing because it was the last episode and there weren't any story beats to handhold to death from on high, aside from Sekai showing up with his new gunpla.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It looks like instead of S3, we're getting two OVAs, one for each season.

I read this backwards and now i'm sad.

Then again a couple of OVAs might actually be a better finale since they can throw a ridiculous budget into it and don't have to fight with a lot of the filler crap. I do hope they return full force to Build Fighters one day, because if this finale has taught me anything its that the first season wasn't a one off bit of magic, they can still hit that high point when they try.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

nuru posted:

Why was the series not as fun as this episode? I don't even have words for it yet, I'm still processing everything ridiculous that happened. Especially anything Meijin related.
That moment where the whole room changed into battle stations was where I was legit jealous we don't live in a world where Gunpla Battle is real.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Neo Zeong R35 :allears:

Gyan R35. The Sazaki family instantly worships Ral.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Best Cameo was the Mock GOD Gundam. The burning passion of a million mook units cries out for him to defeat Gundam.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Sleggar why are you driving with your eyes closed :stare:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
WOUNDWORT WOUNDWORT HOLY poo poo WOUNDWORT

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Late to the party but episode seemed like it had all the fun that was missing from the rest of the season. More of that, please.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is truly the ending that Gundam Build Fighters Tryon-3 deserves. Just...not Gundam Build Fighters Try. This episode was far better than most of the series, and honestly I'm sad that we didn't get more of this.

That said, it also felt like the entire series. I cared and enjoyed a lot when Sekai wasn't around and it was Yuuma and Minato's time in the spotlight with their Gunpla competition, adding Meijin's extreme ham to it. The whole thing with Gyanko, Shimon and their little brothers was really cute too. And then the fight and it's just wonderful...and Sekai appears and I immediatly stop caring. OH HEY SUPER COOL NEW GUNPLA AND EVERYONE CRUSHES ON ME WOW. gently caress you, Sekai.

AND THEN MEIJIN VS RAL and it starts being insanely awesome again. And we even get a Yuuma/Mirai moment, something that I honestly thought the writers had forgotten about entirely. And, going back to how this series usually is, a completely forced team moment.

That said, I don't think Build Fighters Try was bad. It was just not as good as it should have been, not as good as its predecessor, and definitely suffered from a horrible main character and underdeveloped rivals. At least I can remember Yuuma and Fumina as cool characters. I'm looking forward to the OVAs.

Oh and Domon was completely underused. What a waste.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Meijin that was a legitimately horrible thing to do when you were announcing the winner of the cup. loving hell man.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Look reading numbers is hard when you have shades on all the time, give him a break.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Meijin Kawaguchi knew exactly what he was doing. He knew Sakai's Gunpla as soon as Sakai stormed up to whine about it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dom R35 made me smile as well. :unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will gladly shank a motherfucker in a dark alley in order to get a Nightingale R35 kit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I love that the trophy for the Meijin Cup is a Haro with Meijin shades on.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Oh poo poo guys

We're getting another Acgguy color variant!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is it me, or did they really regress Sakai's character for that? He got into the team spirit and showed Yuuma respect and admired Fuumina, which makes sense given his deal and the inventiveness behind the (Star) Winning. Now he's an entitled bitch again, plus they made him a creep, so he could lose to Yumma's Zeta with Destiny bits. He didn't even start with a (sort of) non-Gundam this time.

Guess it's okay that Gyanko's happy, if not with Sekai, and who gives a poo poo about him? His new Gunpla is pretty cool though, even if it doesn't represent any advancement on his part. Sasaki III making frenemies with boxer-dudes plot-cancer brother was nice.

What's Karima even supposed to have done wrong? He build a bitching MA, I guess from scratch, what is he have supposed to have done to deserve the criticism from creepy hand-holding triplets? Guy seems to get a bum deal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Oh no, you see Shia totally taught Sekai how to be a world-class Gunpla builder in between episodes. He calls that "his" Gundam, not "the Gundam Shia built for me." He's now perfect in every way. :geno:

Apart from the creepy bits that made me hate Sakai, this episode was probably the most fun of the season.

"Those aren't in the tech specs!" is actually a conversation I've participated in about the Rafflesia. :allears:

The Rafflesia makes me wonder if you could deploy a scratch-build White Base as a mobile armor with six mobile suit "bits" the other members of your team could launch in and control directly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 1, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it me, or did they really regress Sakai's character for that? He got into the team spirit and showed Yuuma respect and admired Fuumina, which makes sense given his deal and the inventiveness behind the (Star) Winning. Now he's an entitled bitch again, plus they made him a creep, so he could lose to Yumma's Zeta with Destiny bits. He didn't even start with a (sort of) non-Gundam this time.

Guess it's okay that Gyanko's happy, if not with Sekai, and who gives a poo poo about him? His new Gunpla is pretty cool though, even if it doesn't represent any advancement on his part. Sasaki III making frenemies with boxer-dudes plot-cancer brother was nice.

What's Karima even supposed to have done wrong? He build a bitching MA, I guess from scratch, what is he have supposed to have done to deserve the criticism from creepy hand-holding triplets? Guy seems to get a bum deal.

Gyanko deserves better than Sekai anyway :colbert:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BizarroAzrael posted:

Minato is and always has been a huge goon. It's shown repeatedly throughout the series that he has no real idea how to interact with people without gunpla as a framing device; this is why he has a huge fixation on competing with Yuuma in gunpla, why his first reaction when he meets Fumina at nationals is to gush about his awesome gunpla, and why the way he wants to pay back his new team in the tournament is to build them a super awesome gunpla so they can win everything gunpla, forever. I guess you could call it "creepy", but him building what amounts to an idol to Fumina for his ultimate work is his goony-rear end way of expressing his crush on Fumina, just like him relentlessly stalking Yuuma to compete with him in gunpla stuff is his way of expressing his desire to be friends. I didn't find it creepy at all.

Kei's model had a "disqualified" sign on it and the triplets comment on how it doesn't fit inside a display case, meaning Kei is a moron for not even reading tournament rules.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 1, 2015

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assumed that what the triplets meant was there was a size limit for contest entries, and the Rafflesia was way over it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does anyone have the tracklist (preferably not in Japanese) for both OSTs, and has anyone made a list of which track shows up where in which episode?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 2, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Does anyone have the tracklist (preferably not in Japanese) for the second OST, and has anyone made a list of which track shows up where in which episode?

OST 1 has had a translated track list for a while, but OST2 has nothing yet.

I can make one really fast I guess. Dunno if all the names are right.

1. The Summer Gundaba has begun.
2. The Trigger of your Defeat
3. Shin Jigen Haoh Ryuu
4. That sharp feeling when your paint dried flakily.
5. "I'm sorry everyone, I don't know how many times this is..."
6. "If I like it, I can't just forget it..."
7. Roots of Happiness -GrUtMix
8. Naniwa's Actively Strongest Combination
9. Chining Gundam (I think it's a pun of Chinese + Shining? It's Junya's theme.)
10. Fight Until You're Just Skin and Bones
11. Keep an Eye on that Gundam of Gundams. (??? It's literally Mezase Gundam The Gundam)
12. Fight. For the God you Believe In.
13. Welcome to the Soldier's Paradise
14. Gandaba Colosseum
15. Yajima Stadium
16. "I won't let you apologize!"
17. Unintentional Shots are Normal on a Battlefield
18. "My Favorite Steed is Ferocious" (it's a quote from Lucas, don't remember exactly what it is)
19. ??? (I can't read this at all. Something about a left hand and stiffness maybe?)
20. "Let me give you one warning... Dying hurts."
21. Buppigan
22. I Hope There'll be a Sequel
23. Roots of Happiness (the insert song in 23)
24. Cerulean (TV Size)
25. Amazing the World (TV Size)
26. Just Fly Away (TV Size)
27. Lost People Don't Need a Compass (TV Size)

The downside of Build Fighter's funny track names is that translating them is kind of hard.

Hell if I can tell you when each shows up though. I track cameos, not songs. But I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say Clear and Serene showed up a lot.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

BlitzBlast posted:

Hell if I can tell you when each shows up though. I track cameos, not songs. But I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say Clear and Serene showed up a lot.

Clear and Serene was absolutely another dead giveaway. I'm sad that Domon didn't get a speaking part, but they did keep G Gundam fans hopelessly glued to the edge of their seats until the last second with all the callouts.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Kanos posted:

Minato is and always has been a huge goon. It's shown repeatedly throughout the series that he has no real idea how to interact with people without gunpla as a framing device; this is why he has a huge fixation on competing with Yuuma in gunpla, why his first reaction when he meets Fumina at nationals is to gush about his awesome gunpla, and why the way he wants to pay back his new team in the tournament is to build them a super awesome gunpla so they can win everything gunpla, forever. I guess you could call it "creepy", but him building what amounts to an idol to Fumina for his ultimate work is his goony-rear end way of expressing his crush on Fumina, just like him relentlessly stalking Yuuma to compete with him in gunpla stuff is his way of expressing his desire to be friends. I didn't find it creepy at all.

Kei's model had a "disqualified" sign on it and the triplets comment on how it doesn't fit inside a display case, meaning Kei is a moron for not even reading tournament rules.

Honestly the Sakai thing was probably an extension of that one dream thing he had a while back when he said he'd work on Fumina's polycaps when he was intro'd. I guess he did mean it literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought Domon's cameo in BF was better than his cameo in BFT TBH.

• Locked thread