Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

My advice to you as a new player is that the difficulty ratings on the expansions are exactly like the points on whose line is it anyway: entirely made up and arbitrary. I have occasionally breezed through 7's and been utterly annihilated again and again on a couple of 4's.

Specifically, the second quest in the base game is going to beat the ever loving poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Strongly recommend reading this article if you're new to the LotR LCG: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

It has better difficulty ratings, gives you a preview of what the scenario is like and the type of player cards, and is generally just awesome.

If you end up sleeving your cards, I highly recommend printing some proxies of a few cards to get complete sets of Steward of Gondor, Unexpected Courage, Test of Will, Gandalf, etc

For the second mission in the core set:
forest snares, making gimli into a troll killing hulk, sneak attacking gandalf for some direct damage, starting with a lower threat .. some combination of these things works pretty well.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you end up sleeving your cards, I highly recommend printing some proxies of a few cards to get complete sets of Steward of Gondor, Unexpected Courage, Test of Will, Gandalf, etc

Yeah I've been using clear sleeves (if that matters) although I'm not sure how to go about printing stuff up. I do really want to get to 3 copies of each card, but buying another core with its redundant components for a few cards is pretty unappealing. On top of that, I think there's at least some cards where you only get one copy, so you'd need to buy two extra cores to be complete. Pretty annoying part of these FFG games if you ask me.

I wish they'd do a "complete your core" print on demand thing or something like that.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mr. Met posted:

I wish they'd do a "complete your core" print on demand thing or something like that.

Now that would be awesome!

But since its a co-op game and not competitive I just use really shittily proxied ones.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Met posted:

Yeah I've been using clear sleeves (if that matters) although I'm not sure how to go about printing stuff up. I do really want to get to 3 copies of each card, but buying another core with its redundant components for a few cards is pretty unappealing. On top of that, I think there's at least some cards where you only get one copy, so you'd need to buy two extra cores to be complete. Pretty annoying part of these FFG games if you ask me.

It's pretty easy. Just google search the name of the card and find the highest resolution. Resize that to 2.5x3.5 (i did it in Preview.app on a Mac) and print at the highest quality, 100% scale. If you have sleeves with opaque backs, slip it in front of any old card. if you have sleeves with clear backs, you'll have to slip it in front of a real LotR card, and then it gets a little trickier because you'll probably still be able to see edges of the paper from behind.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I just accept that card availability of stronger cards is part of the difficulty :colbert:

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Got revenge on the first scenario last night, again using the default leadership cards. I had to sacrifice Gloin blocking Ungoliant's Spawn on the final turn, though. I think things would have gone a lot smoother if I had drawn Celebrian's Stone, Steward of Gondor, and especially Faramir early in the game. I really couldn't get any questing progress without those cards, but it was a cakewalk once Faramir started buffing everyone.

Think I'll experiment building some dual sphere decks and try them out on the first scenario again before moving onto the Hill Trolls.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Looking at getting into conquest from a netrunner background. Any particular cards that Are the Jackson Howards of this game?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Void Pirate, Rogue Trader, Promotion

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Void Pirate, Rogue Trader, Promotion

I should thank you for the Dark Eldar deck you posted some pages back. I took 2nd in our Store Championships over here in Taiwan with it. Had a bad mulligan in the champ round against space marines and drew seemingly every expensive card in my deck while he drew a bunch of cheap ones and was able to dominate the command struggle. While being able to give up the first two planets without long term consequence.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
You're welcome (: It's a fun deck to play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

You're welcome (: It's a fun deck to play.

Yeah I got hosed one game by space marines "destroy all non-uniques at a non-first planet", but still came back from that. The deck was incredibly frustrating to play against and the amount of hand disruption was fantastic.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Looking at getting into conquest from a netrunner background. Any particular cards that Are the Jackson Howards of this game?

Void Pirate and Promotion are near-autoincludes, with Rogue Trader a little bit behind. Other than that most decks end up looking pretty different, and there are far fewer universal splashes than in Netrunner thanks to the nature of the ally system and the small number of neutral cards.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 21, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
If you're Eldar or Eldar adjacent you put in 3 Survivalists though and everybody else wishes they could put 3 Survivalists in.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Local player was selling off all his Conquest, so I now have all the things, including three core sets. So uh, jumping in with both feet I guess.

Time to make a deck for a tournament next week I guess

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

MisterShine posted:

Local player was selling off all his Conquest, so I now have all the things, including three core sets. So uh, jumping in with both feet I guess.

Time to make a deck for a tournament next week I guess

Don't be discouraged by your newness! I met a friend one day before our local store championships to teach him the game and built a deck for him. He took 2nd the next day! As long as you have experience with other card games and someone to walk you through the rules/common interactions/matchups it's not a hard game.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

That was the plan. They'll be so busy trying to figure out if Im an idiot or a tactical genius Ill eat all the planets or whatever my goal is.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
HOLY CRAP.
LOTR guys, looks like Lost Realm is finally in the "shipping" phase.
*it's happening*

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

HOLY CRAP.
LOTR guys, looks like Lost Realm is finally in the "shipping" phase.
*it's happening*

poo poo i preordered it with treason of saruman for some reason. poo poo

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

poo poo i preordered it with treason of saruman for some reason. poo poo

Where as I am saying "crap, CSI is OOS on most stuff I want!"
I'll probably just amazon prime it then.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I've already played with a few proxies. Hero Legolas is pretty sweet, and the tactics enemy attachment that lowers your threat by the foe's threat level when you defeat it is super good.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Full spoilers for the next Conquest pack, translations are not perfect: http://www.40kconquestmadrid.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/spoiler-completo-la-amenaza-exterior.html#more

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Oh man, this looks like fun stuff. If I get a hold of this before this weekend, I may run my Space Marines deck instead of Astra Militarum. Might be fun to finally mess around with Coteaz, too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I am a native Spanish speaker in case you have any particular doubts :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Good lord, Shadow Field. That thing basically nullifies about 75% of most decks.

I'm glad that Chaos is getting more "big unit" support. I'd really like to see Elites becoming more viable in general, but that could just be the Timmy in me speaking. I'm still waiting for Tau to get some more/better units. I feel as if Fire Caste Grenadiers needs at least 1 command icon or 1 more HP to be viable, otherwise, eh.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm running a Throne of Vainglory Chaos big units deck that has inexplicably won every match I've played with it so far. I have no idea why it works, but somehow it does (I'm sure the fact that Throne of Vainglory is ridiculously good at stalling during the deploy phase helps).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Good lord, Shadow Field. That thing basically nullifies about 75% of most decks.

I'm glad that Chaos is getting more "big unit" support. I'd really like to see Elites becoming more viable in general, but that could just be the Timmy in me speaking. I'm still waiting for Tau to get some more/better units. I feel as if Fire Caste Grenadiers needs at least 1 command icon or 1 more HP to be viable, otherwise, eh.

Remember Shadow Field won't protect against tokens, Warlords, and non-unit damage.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay I don't think I have ever played one of these. Please recommend one to try to me. I don't know poo poo about Game of Thrones

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Lotr or 40k conquest. Best 2 imo

*only played those 2

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Okay I don't think I have ever played one of these. Please recommend one to try to me. I don't know poo poo about Game of Thrones

LOTR is the only co-op one, so if you'd like to play alongside your friends rather than against them that's the one to go for. Netrunner is generally considered the best vs LCG, but there's a pretty steep investment before you're competitive (not really an issue if you're only going to play with friends). Haven't played much of that one though, didn't really interest me. Warhammer Conquest is pretty great and is a young game that hasn't even gone through its first cycle. It's personally my favorite. Game of Thrones is getting rebooted so wait for 2nd edition if you want to get in that one I guess.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
LOTR it is! Thanks goons!

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Are there any Deckbuilding ratios or conventions to follow as a general rule in Conquest? Like "1 of any Unique Character" or "Never take the exhaust to reduce cost Supports" or "2 silver hammers to every event/support"?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

MisterShine posted:

Are there any Deckbuilding ratios or conventions to follow as a general rule in Conquest? Like "1 of any Unique Character" or "Never take the exhaust to reduce cost Supports" or "2 silver hammers to every event/support"?

3x Promotion (or 3x Recon Drone if you're Tau) is more or less autoinclude.

Typically aim for about 9 one-for-ones (one cost one command units) and as many two-for-twos (two cost two command units) as you can.

Cost reducer supports are usually bad; I recommend playing 0-1 copies.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

Cost reducer supports are usually bad; I recommend playing 0-1 copies.

Tau's Ambush Platform is an exception, since it's a cost reducer that occasionally acts as a trick enabler and is super fun with various assassination strategies.

I personally want to be able to consistently draw 2-3 1 cost/1 command point cards in the opening 7 card hand. You might also want to make sure that there is at least 1 consistent "combat capable" unit too, in case it is really important to get the 1st planet on T1.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
:siren: It's happening! :siren:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/206791

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Tau's Ambush Platform is an exception, since it's a cost reducer that occasionally acts as a trick enabler and is super fun with various assassination strategies.

I personally want to be able to consistently draw 2-3 1 cost/1 command point cards in the opening 7 card hand. You might also want to make sure that there is at least 1 consistent "combat capable" unit too, in case it is really important to get the 1st planet on T1.

Oh yeah, totally. Ambush Platform is a great card - not only is it a better reducer (not limited, works on every attachment), it enables a lot of great tricks. The cost reducers I'm talking about are the unique ones that each faction has (Fortress-Monastery, Corsair Trading Port, etc.), which generally don't make the cut.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

Oh yeah, totally. Ambush Platform is a great card - not only is it a better reducer (not limited, works on every attachment), it enables a lot of great tricks. The cost reducers I'm talking about are the unique ones that each faction has (Fortress-Monastery, Corsair Trading Port, etc.), which generally don't make the cut.

Yeah, those are all total trash. My favorite scenario was when my friend used his one to reduce the cost of one unit, and then never drew another unit the rest of the game. He almost wiped me because he Warpstormed me twice at a planet that I had overloaded because I thought it was the game winning planet, but, well, you really can't recover from no units.

Also then I just put a Rune Encrusted Armor on a Boss Gob, so that owned.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

They're better then you think. Unlike Prometheum Mine they pay for themselves on the turn you play them and stalling is really useful. If you're getting into situations where you literally can't use it for a turn you're probably going to lose the game anyways.

I wouldn't play them in decks that need tighter draws, like Dark Eldar Tempo, but I would definitely play 1-2 in the slower Space Marine Midrange/Eldar Control decks.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Put 1 in every deck unless you're extremely heavy on the faction mixing. At worst it saves you no money (and doesn't cost you anything - it breaks even on the turn you play it if you have even 1 unit of that faction to play as well) and stalls for one turn. At best it saves you tons of money and stalls for one turn. Probably it's going to save you a little money and stall for one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Put 1 in every deck unless you're extremely heavy on the faction mixing. At worst it saves you no money (and doesn't cost you anything - it breaks even on the turn you play it if you have even 1 unit of that faction to play as well) and stalls for one turn. At best it saves you tons of money and stalls for one turn. Probably it's going to save you a little money and stall for one turn.

At worst it's a card that could have been something to help you win. Opportunity cost of the card is a big deal in card games.

Edit: Wait, you're the guy who ranted on and on about how "Search X cards and place the rest on the bottom" was a terrible mechanic.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 2, 2015