Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

After that, the ability to catch pucks. And I don't mean the tape to tape passes, I mean the trashy panic passes that dominate low level play. Floaty pucks, pucks six feet in front or behind you, pucks in your feet, pucks at waist level.. corral those pucks and you can be a hero on the ice.

Soooo many missed opportunities on my end because I am complete poo poo at capturing pucks at weird angles.

This is p much what I've been working on in stick'n'puck thanks to whatever rando guys in there want to give and receive passes as I get ready for ALtP next week. :toot:

I'm still a loving mess out there as soon as I throw on pads and have that 15 ton wooden stick at the end of my arms. :v: (it's so fun though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How much of a difference is skating in regular clothing vs. skating in full pads? Right now I go to my local rink's public skating and just wear jeans, shirt/sweatshirt, and then a helmet and hockey gloves. Will skating in full pads be an easy adjustment? Anything I should be aware of? Or does it really not make any difference at all? Regular pads, not goalie pads.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

How much of a difference is skating in regular clothing vs. skating in full pads? Right now I go to my local rink's public skating and just wear jeans, shirt/sweatshirt, and then a helmet and hockey gloves. Will skating in full pads be an easy adjustment? Anything I should be aware of? Or does it really not make any difference at all? Regular pads, not goalie pads.

You WILL feel weird and immobile for several skates, but you'll get used to it. Once you get full pads, just buy the most mobile / lightest / best fitting equipment you can and you should be golden.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

zinc68 posted:

You WILL feel weird and immobile for several skates, but you'll get used to it. Once you get full pads, just buy the most mobile / lightest / best fitting equipment you can and you should be golden.

Sounds good. What brands of pads are good ones? Gonna buy some now and go for a few skates in them before I get on the ice on a team. Thanks for the info!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I am lucky enough to be learning along with 2 other friends so we try to make it out to stick time together which is a huge help. We definitely spend a lot more time passing than shooting on net but I've certainly noticed how hard of a skill it is to develop.

I've learned everything up until this point with a wooden stick. It's a great stick, aside from the fact that it's wooden and fairly easily outclassed in every way by others. I just bought a cheap composite from Hockey Tron, mostly to try a different blade pattern, but after using it once I was really not a fan of the lie and am not sure what to do. I am tall (6'2 off skates) so I did not cut the stick at all yet because I like the length but it will definitely need to get trimmed down in order to get the blade laying flat. My worries though are that I may not be able to get a proper lie without making it too short altogether. Any tips for this?

Blade lie isn't something I've really seen listed for sticks, nor is it an even option to change as far as I've seen. Is it easy enough to fix by adjusting stick length or do I need to physically try each stick type and develop a blacklist of brands that don't work for me?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Sounds good. What brands of pads are good ones? Gonna buy some now and go for a few skates in them before I get on the ice on a team. Thanks for the info!

Any of them are good really. Best bet is to try them on and buy what fits you the best. Also do not by the super high end gear, they are mostly made for full contact leagues. Low-end gear from CCM, Bauer, Warrior or Easton will all be great stuff. And for pants, I ( and several others on here ) swear by a girdle & shell combo. They are lighter, are more custom fitting, and WAY more mobile than any single piece pant.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kvlt! posted:

It's.... :airquote:weird:airquote: at first. Different, maybe? Yeah, "different". It feels a little clunky for a second when you're standing/walking around but once you get down and skating it's not bad at all. Plus, (at least in my old-man's case) falling down pretty much becomes a non issue. Losing an edge or loving up and plopping = no big deal with all that kit on. In fact, now even during free skate I'll throw my shins on under my pants and pretty much never worry about losing an edge and going to my knee(s), which had become painful and super sensitive/banged up for a couple weeks from going padless.

As for the gear: like the other dudes above said - make sure it fits/is comfortable. You can find some good junk for relatively cheap. I got my one.6 shins for like $25. They're a little bulky but they fit and stay in place and, for $25, I couldn't pass that up. Dunno how bad all the kit is over in :britain: though.

zinc68 posted:

And for pants, I ( and several others on here ) swear by a girdle & shell combo. They are lighter, are more custom fitting, and WAY more mobile than any single piece pant.
Huh, dang, now I wish I would have tried some of these on before getting My First Pants the other week.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Girdles are amazing, but they seem to harder to find year after year. I got my current girdle at a Total Hockey a few years back, a Bauer model, and I think it was the only non-referee one they had.

I'm probably going to use it until it falls apart, like my last one did.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Inazuma posted:

Out of interest, which rink is it you play out of? I've just started learning to skate at the tender age of 31, mainly at public sessions at Murrayfield and will probably head up to a hockey for all session in Dundee after the summer before I start looking at rec hockey. The 11pm training sessions scare me though.

Ah! I know the Dundee rink very well, but my local rink is Solihull down in the Midlands. Sounds like you've got the right plan, get on a learn to skate course up there - although it'll be figure skating based, they'll teach you all about edge work and control and get you on the right path. When you're ready to look at gear, get yourself on Ice Hockey Selling or Buying and Ice Hockey Kit FOR SALE/WANTED as you can get some good stuff on there which will work out a lot cheaper than getting it from somewhere like Puckstop which charges a fortune.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Teeter posted:

I've learned everything up until this point with a wooden stick. It's a great stick, aside from the fact that it's wooden and fairly easily outclassed in every way by others. I just bought a cheap composite from Hockey Tron, mostly to try a different blade pattern, but after using it once I was really not a fan of the lie and am not sure what to do. I am tall (6'2 off skates) so I did not cut the stick at all yet because I like the length but it will definitely need to get trimmed down in order to get the blade laying flat. My worries though are that I may not be able to get a proper lie without making it too short altogether. Any tips for this?

Blade lie isn't something I've really seen listed for sticks, nor is it an even option to change as far as I've seen. Is it easy enough to fix by adjusting stick length or do I need to physically try each stick type and develop a blacklist of brands that don't work for me?
http://www.hockeygiant.com/player-stick-blade-pattern-charts.html

This link breaks down lies and patterns of most of the major brands and such. Keep in mind though that flex and lie ratings are relative to each manufacturer (for example, Lie 6 for Easton might slightly differ from Lie 6 for Bauer).

As far as how long or short your stick should be and lie angle, it's all quite subjective, but maybe we can narrow things down. What stick are you currently using? What issues are you having with it on the ice? How different is the blade pattern compared your old stick?

The best advice right now I can give without knowing much else is if you're going to cut it, only do a little at a time, like 1/4" or 1cm pieces. They also do sell wooden and composite plugs you can glue into the butt end to the stick to lengthen it if needed. And don't feel like you have to cut it, especially if you're comfortable and can work with it. Don't worry so much about your blade lying flat to your side if you can still take and receive the puck with relative ease.

edit: I found this video that seems pretty good in explaining how you should cut a stick based upon how you play and other factors. Bear in mind though that at the end of the day it's really all subjective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bbtr8qhMHY

shyduck fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 2, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

To me, the biggest difference was shin guards because I had spent so much time learning to do crossovers without pads. Second to that is playing with a cage, as that affected my peripheral vision a bit and was a little disorienting. Overall it's fairly minor and you get used to it after a few ice sessions. The tradeoff in feeling invincible during minor falls more than makes up for it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/player-stick-blade-pattern-charts.html

This link breaks down lies and patterns of most of the major brands and such. Keep in mind though that flex and lie ratings are relative to each manufacturer (for example, Lie 6 for Easton might slightly differ from Lie 6 for Bauer).

As far as how long or short your stick should be and lie angle, it's all quite subjective, but maybe we can narrow things down. What stick are you currently using? What issues are you having with it on the ice? How different is the blade pattern compared your old stick?

The best advice right now I can give without knowing much else is if you're going to cut it, only do a little at a time, like 1/4" or 1cm pieces. They also do sell wooden and composite plugs you can glue into the butt end to the stick to lengthen it if needed. And don't feel like you have to cut it, especially if you're comfortable and can work with it. Don't worry so much about your blade lying flat to your side if you can still take and receive the puck with relative ease.

Sticks are Sher-Wood 5030 PP09 and a Tron C6 with P88 curve. Both are super cheap so I'm not invested in either and if nothing else it's nice to experience the variance between sticks.

I like the extended reach that the Tron has but the toe lifts off the ice a bit which was difficult to adjust to. It gave me the feeling that something wasn't right but I think I'm just a baby about it, with the issue compounded by me being kinda bad. So far I have had more trouble receiving passes but I'll use it a few more times and see if I get used to it (or just get better in general). On the plus side, this stick feels effortless to shoot compared to the wooden one. I can pick out corners much more easily and I need to exert a lot less power to get an equivalent shot as the 5030. If anything my problem now is shooting too high and I definitely need to rein it in.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have any tips for skating on rough/unshaved ice? I generally get to the rink later in the day and the ice is all cut up or on ponds/lakes.

Also just wanted to say this thread rocks. Everyone has been wicked kind and helpful, so thank you all!

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
For those of you that are looking at first timer gear, there are two differences between low and high end gear besides increased protection- breathability is much better in the good stuff vs low end ( in the case of bauer stuff you will see more sections of vent armor instead of just padding) and fit/adjustability- the good stuff can be tweaked to fit better in some lines. My shins, for example can be widened or tightened by unsticking some velcro and readjusting the way the calf flaps sit inside the pads. Once you get them right, they will never be adjusted again, but its nice to be able to dial in the fit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yea just concentrate on making sure everything fits correctly and protects the areas it is designed to protect. You kind of 'know' when something fits, but you might have to test it out to make sure impacts are dispersed correctly.

Having equipment on will affect your balance and ability to skate. The flip side is it will make you more confident in taking chances on maneuvers that you're not good at- because if you fall it won't hurt.

However, the biggie with balance is having a stick in your hands.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Kvlt! posted:

Does anyone have any tips for skating on rough/unshaved ice? I generally get to the rink later in the day and the ice is all cut up or on ponds/lakes.

Also just wanted to say this thread rocks. Everyone has been wicked kind and helpful, so thank you all!

As far as I'm concerned, skating on rough ice isn't any different technique wise than skating on good ice.

Skating on lakes and ponds owns, but the absolute best here where I live is to find frozen marshes in September/October before the first snow and skate on those

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Like a third of my falls these days are from trying to do something on a patch of ice that got torn to poo poo by teams practicing tight turns around a cone.

Veteran skaters don't seem to have any issue with it so it's probably just a question of experience. But when I feel a rut I get super wobbly.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

xzzy posted:

Like a third of my falls these days are from trying to do something on a patch of ice that got torn to poo poo by teams practicing tight turns around a cone.

Veteran skaters don't seem to have any issue with it so it's probably just a question of experience. But when I feel a rut I get super wobbly.

I'm the same way. If my skate goes over a patch of rough ice I get off-balance or take a fall. I think you're right, it must be an experience thing because the more experienced skaters at my rink seem to have no problem with it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hockey isn't played on ice mirrors, y'all. Anyone who complains about ice quality in an indoor rink should go to a pond hockey tournament and see what poo poo can look like.

the biggest difference in torn up ice imo is just how the puck moves and the amount of bullshit that can happen to cause pucks to jump over sticks, etc.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
As someone skating since I was 5, when I fall it basically only ever happens when I hit a patch of chewed up ice on the side of the blade (usually when I'm stopping) that's enough to actually catch the blade and stop it suddenly. Bumpy ice doesn't really even register, tbh.

When I do fall down it's really sudden, thoguh

e: so basically I guess I'm saying keep at it, you'll improve your sense of balance over time

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's kinda like driving on bad roads, just gotta be a bit more prepared to be thrown off course. Fresh ice is so much nicer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I think its ankle strength. As you play more, your ankles will become much stronger and more stable. Take a look at any new skater when they try to simply glide forward and their ankles will wobble and skates will probably bounce around depending on the ice. The ice is dictating how the skates are moving because the ankles are too weak to overpower the bumps and ruts. A skater with stronger legs and ankles will be able to compensate for the inconsistencies in the ice and be more stable on their feet limiting foot wobbles.

When you go to turn or stop on worn ice, you might bounce around with weak ankles and the angle of your skates might change throughout the corse of the stop/turn causing the bite of your skates to be inconsistent. With stronger ankles, your feet are likely to hold that angle much easier and maintain a more consistent bite.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
The photographer I had shoot our last playoff game got the photos back to me today.

I like this one because for once I'm carrying the puck without staring at it!

Needs more green though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You need green gloves.

The jersey is pretty good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

bgreman posted:

The photographer I had shoot our last playoff game got the photos back to me today.

I like this one because for once I'm carrying the puck without staring at it!

Needs more green though.

Not only is that a badass pic, that's a hilarious jersey!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Needs green laces

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You need green gloves.

The jersey is pretty good.

Green laces. I mean, I assume they make colors other than pink, even if I haven't seen them in the wild.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You have green ice, what more could you want?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Green contact lenses.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to try to get some green laces. The green tape I have is ultra lovely. It's really thin and that tape job lasted one game before it started coming off near the toe.

As for the jersey, my fiance designed it. We get mad compliments about it all the time.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Gotta hit that stride.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

Gotta hit that stride.

Flow and MLX's? True beauty.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
dat tongue flop. :v: But seriously though, Those Jerseys :swoon:

Oh yeah, also I bashed my face off the ice in free skate last night. No helmet, no grill, freshly shaved ice. I'm still not sure how I did it and how my glasses survived but hey I got a sweet split brow and a black eye for my troubles. Methinks I'll be rocking the helmet for p. much everything from now on. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Post a pic of your face

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sellouts posted:

Post a pic of your face

Gonna second this. Who looks worse, you or that Red Wings player that took a skate to the face the other day?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
You want freshly smashed or day-after-colorfulness? :v:

Kvlt! posted:

Gonna second this. Who looks worse, you or that Red Wings player that took a skate to the face the other day?

definitely Drew Miller. Mine's just a wee lil boo boo

Last night:

Just now:

Pretty sure it's my glasses that cut me.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
yee-ouch!
free skate, gets ya every time

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

You want freshly smashed or day-after-colorfulness? :v:

definitely Drew Miller. Mine's just a wee lil boo boo

Last night:

Just now:

Pretty sure it's my glasses that cut me.

drat dude that's still looking pretty banged up!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:lol: Our regular season team, having last played a game in mid-Feb when we got eliminated, signed up for a weekend tourny.

We got goomba-stomped tonight by what will be the breakaway #1 team in our 4-team tourny division. People were making lovely passes, being super lazy, no backcheck. Just awful. We only managed to lose 5-0 and, with 5 D, the only time I was on the ice for a goal was when my partner turned it over in the far corner and I tried to cover the sudden 2-on-1 and the guy with the puck just ripped it far post over the pad.

Oddly enough, I am super pumped right now. Organized hockey is way more fun than drop-in, by miles, even when we get stomped. A;so we have 2 games on Saturday and we're maybe going to score a goal, possibly win a game, and just get shitfaced.

I love you, hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm getting up at 6:30 tomorrow to go to drop-in hockey, what the hell is becoming of me?