Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The whole game is terrible. I'm fairly certain you can buy it for like $5 on ebay too. In which case, it'd make more sense to sell Tropical Freeze for $20 and then use that money t buy Yoshi's Island and then a gun for when you finish playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YNI was made by the same people that made Blinx the Time Sweeper.

Redeem an expensive game and sell it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I bought Yoshi's New Island and it was literally the only purchase for a Nintendo system I have regretted in like the past three or four years. Not worth it at ALL. Bad, bad game.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

To offer a dissenting opinion, I picked it up when it came out and it wasn't a great game (and not nearly as good as the original), but I didn't think it was terrible or a waste of time. I found it more fun/engaging than NSMB1/2.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's a good price to buy the Oracle games from CN? They're $6 at retail, but I'm trying to get both and while $12 is nothing, if I can save money and get a large fries too, I'll do that

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

My reward has already been redeemed? Godammit Club Nintendo you didn't even give me the code!

It says that for me to on whenever I'm able to get in. I wouldn't worry, it's 99 percent likely the network totally making GBS threads itself that is causing it.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Amazing double post action. Guess the forums aren't much better than Club Nintendo today. :v:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

It says that for me to on whenever I'm able to get in. I wouldn't worry, it's 99 percent likely the network totally making GBS threads itself that is causing it.

It is; it was saying that to me earlier, but I was finally able to get in and redeem Mario Golf. Been wanting it for a while, so it was really swell of Nintendo to put it up for free.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ultigonio posted:

Okay, that's pretty convincing. On the other hand, it looks like the original version is the one the one they're offering for Platinum - is Deluxe significantly better that I should just grab that and use the plat reward for something else, maybe?

The Deluxe retail game is in bargain bins all over the place, you could buy it for less than $10.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I've never played Animal Crossing and I'm unsure whether or not I'd get into it. Someone sell me on it.

For reference, the closest thing to a fake life simulator I ever really dug into was Harvest Moon for the GameBoy way back when. I fed those cows and chickens like my life depended on it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've never played Animal Crossing and I'm unsure whether or not I'd get into it. Someone sell me on it.

For reference, the closest thing to a fake life simulator I ever really dug into was Harvest Moon for the GameBoy way back when. I fed those cows and chickens like my life depended on it.

If you loved Harvest Moon and didn't get bored, you will probably cream your pants at Animal Crossing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I guess it's a choice between Tropical Freeze and Animal Crossing for me.

drat, I can't get this Nintendo Direct to load, everyone on the sidebar is talking about what's going on in it but the video itself just isn't starting.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Any fool that does not own Mario Golf: World Tour already and does not claim it as their reward is subhuman scum just so you're all aware.

edit: animal crossing is also acceptable

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So for anyone that missed it, the new Nintendo Direct confirmed N64 and DS titles for the Wii U eShop. You can also rebuy any N64 games you transferred to the Wii U's Wii Mode for 2 bucks instead of paying the full price. Also DK64 is getting ported for pretty much the first time ever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Augus posted:

So for anyone that missed it, the new Nintendo Direct confirmed N64 and DS titles for the Wii U eShop. You can also rebuy any N64 games you transferred to the Wii U's Wii Mode for 2 bucks instead of paying the full price. Also DK64 is getting ported for pretty much the first time ever
That's interesting because it once again shoots holes in people's theories about the whole DK/Rare copyright situation. Wonder if Diddy Kong Racing will show up.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's interesting because it once again shoots holes in people's theories about the whole DK/Rare copyright situation. Wonder if Diddy Kong Racing will show up.

Probably not since that's an especially weird case since it has Banjo and Conker, but we'll probably see the DS remake that didn't look any good.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I can't believe I might buy DK64 just to see if that game feels like it's slowly crumbling apart in the VC as well.

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
I played NES Remix for the 3DS for about 10 minutes at a demo and figured it was frustrating trash, especially compared to the way better implementation of retro mini-games in WarioWare Inc.

NSMB2 seems to get pretty ho-hum reviews and Super Mario Land 3DS is lots of fun, but way short.

Yoshi games are kind of awful as a whole, and I think I own the other platinum rewards. Guess it's time to join the duffing brigades of Mario Golfers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do not even ask posted:

I can't believe I might buy DK64 just to see if that game feels like it's slowly crumbling apart in the VC as well.

I'm actually pretty psyched about it, since I never played it back in the day, and it's been so long since I've played a collectathon platformer it's going to feel downright novel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
eShop-related news from the Direct:

-N64 and DS games for Wii U VC! N64 prices will range from $9.99 to $12.99 ($1.99 upgrade from Wii VC), DS games will range from $6.99 to $9.99. N64 games support rumble; DS games have various dual-screen configs for TV/gamepad or single-screen. Here's a preliminary release schedule::

NA:
Today: Mario 64 (N64, $9.99), Yoshi's Island DS (DS, $9.99)
April 9: Yoshi Touch & Go (DS), WarioWare Touched! (DS)
April 16: Donkey Kong 64 (N64)
April 23: Mario Kart DS (DS)
April 30: Paper Mario (N64)

PAL:
Today: Mario 64 (N64), Donkey Kong 64 (N64), Mario Kart DS (DS), Warioware Touched (DS) - buy three, get the 4th free! Ends April 16.
"May": Paper Mario (N64), Yoshi's Island DS (DS)

-PAL-land confirmed a couple more Wii classic downloads: Sin & Punishment 2 (April 16), Pandora's Tower (April 30). Both games will be 25% off for the first week.

-"Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Hits" coming to Wii U this spring. Unlock 3-minute "highlights" of classic NES/SNES games by tapping Amiibo. The game tied to each individual Amiibo is random, but you get multiple "highlights" by repeatedly tapping that same Amiibo. Free to download.

-Two new Streetpass games: Ultimate Angler/Streetpass Fishing (developed by Prope), Battleground Z/Streetpass Zombies (developed by Good-Feel), out April 16. There's also a "premium" update for the plaza that lets you save Miis as VIPs, adds birthdays and some other unspecified crap. The new games are $4.99 each or $7.99 as a bundle; the premium update is $4.99.

-Codename STEAM (3DS) is getting a patch to speed up enemy turns! 2x speed on 3DS, 3x speed on New 3DS.

-Boxboy (3DS), a HAL-developed puzzle-platformer, out in NA on April 2, midnight tonight in PAL-land

-Pokemon Rumble World (3DS), a f2p Rumble game, launches on April 8.

-Gunvolt is finally out in PAL-land on April 2. Buy before July 9 to get mighty Gunvolt for free.

-Attack on Titan (3DS), published by Atlus, eShop-exclusive, out this May in NA/PAL-land. Two episodes of the anime are free on the eShop until the end of June.

-Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition will be getting a free demo on April 30.

-Don't Starve (Wii U) will include two copies of the game so you can share with a friend! Out May in NA.

-Mutant Mudds Super Challenge (Wii U/3DS) will have cross-buy and a loyalty discounts for owners of the original Mutant Mudds. Out in June in NA.

-Smash DLC! Mewtwo, out April 23 (or April 15 for Club Nintendo people), $4 for one system or $5 for both. Lucas, out "June" 1.0.6 system update on April 15 will include balance changes, lots of promised features and the option to purchase additional Mii costumes.

-Mario Kart 8 DLC #2 has been moved forward to April 23! There'll also be a free system update that adds a new 200cc class and additional Amiibo costumes for your Mii (Mega Man, Sonic, Pacman and more).

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 2, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Do not even ask posted:

I wonder if the terrible draw distance will carry over?
Then again the sniper scope basically used the draw distance as a game mechanic so probably

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i can't believe people are so desperate for collectathons that they're even starting to look back fondly on loving dk64

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

i can't believe people are so desperate for collectathons that they're even starting to look back fondly on loving dk64

I've never played it! I'm not sure I'll actually be able to stand the thing, but it'll be a fun reminder of what platformer game design had turned into at that time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From the JP Direct: Nintendo is localising indie games for the Japanese market, including Little Inferno and The Swapper.

They got DK64 today, too. Share the pain!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I've never played it! I'm not sure I'll actually be able to stand the thing, but it'll be a fun reminder of what platformer game design had turned into at that time.

allow me to spoil it for you: it turned into a loving garbage heap

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you don't try for 100% it's a pretty fun game with some really chill atmosphere.
Beaver Bother can go gently caress itself though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought DK64 was the best when I was a kid but I replayed it a couple of years ago and it doesn't hold up very well at all

You should buy DKC2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo didn't dub DK Rap into Japanese, this is unforgivable.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

What's boxboy going to run price-wise? I am a little disappointed its not crazy beautiful but I trust HAL lab to make it really loving fun

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i will give dk64 this: it's not as bad as banjo-tooie. i'm really glad there's no chance of that showing up on the virtual console

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh, Banana

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

i will give dk64 this: it's not as bad as banjo-tooie. i'm really glad there's no chance of that showing up on the virtual console

I think you're being unfair to Banjo, boring as it is.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think you're being unfair to Banjo, boring as it is.

it has less arbitrary garbage to pick up, sure, but it's wayyyyyyy less fun about picking up the arbitrary garbage it does have.

banjo-kazooie is like the only non-mario collectathon that was and still is actually good

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm getting the "Your reward has already been redeemed" even though I haven't redeemed anything thing some other people are reporting. I hope it's just a display bug, getting hosed out of my Platinum reward would suck.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm getting the "Your reward has already been redeemed" even though I haven't redeemed anything thing some other people are reporting. I hope it's just a display bug, getting hosed out of my Platinum reward would suck.

It's just a display bug because the Club Nintendo server is currently in the process of making GBS threads itself

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

it has less arbitrary garbage to pick up, sure, but it's wayyyyyyy less fun about picking up the arbitrary garbage it does have.

banjo-kazooie is like the only non-mario collectathon that was and still is actually good

I am never going to replay those games so I'll take your word for it.

I can't wait for the 3D collectathon amateur unity garbage renaissance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I am never going to replay those games so I'll take your word for it.

I can't wait for the 3D collectathon amateur unity garbage renaissance.

This but unironically. It will produce at least one good 3d exploration platformer and it will all have been worth it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Amppelix posted:

This but unironically. It will produce at least one good 3d exploration platformer and it will all have been worth it.

Some ex-Rare guys are working on right now and I guess Yacht Club will probably end up making Shovel Knight 64 but everything else will be terrible, I guarantee it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Suspicious Cook posted:

The reason I play Harvest Moon to this day is because someone told me, "Oh, you like Animal Crossing? Here play this!" and handed me a copy of Magical Melody on GameCube. Animal Crossing is basically Harvest Moon's slightly more laid-back, animal themed cousin, and while there's no real goal beyond filling up your museum/catching all the bugs and fish/making your town and house look nice/some other arbitrary goal you set for yourself, it can get to be incredibly engrossing. If you were into feeding those cows and chickens it's possible you will become attached to some of your villagers (and despise others and want them to move the gently caress out of town) because they really do have a lot of personality and charm, but they require a decent amount of attention. You could probably get by playing every other day but skip more than that and you risk your favorite animal leaving forever without letting you know. (If you talk to them every day you can generally talk them out of leaving if that idea gets into their head.) Anyway it's fun to do little errands for them and become their friend. :3:

Edit:

Hey! Hey! DK64 was adequate! I rented it from Blockbuster when I was like 11 and it was not a weekend wasted or anything!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

epsilon posted:

What's boxboy going to run price-wise? I am a little disappointed its not crazy beautiful but I trust HAL lab to make it really loving fun
It's $6.50 Australian, so i'd imagine $3/4 in the UK or US.

It's pretty fun for pocket change.