Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

His $2/day plan is prepaid, so no free phone. My $70 plan is on a 2 year contract, it also has a $5/month handset repayment for my lumia 930, so I pay $75 per month for $700 worth of calls (calls cost $99c per minute + 40c connection fee), unlimited texts and 1.5gb of data. (and I don't pay anything up front for the phone) There is definitely no such thing as unlimited data here. Even home internet connections have strict data caps - 5 years ago the norm was maybe 5-10gb; these days it's more like 50gb per month, but any three digit allowance costs a fortune.

I suppose it's somewhat different in the US due to the sheer size of the place. Most mobile tariffs in the UK do still have data caps and some home broadband tariffs have data caps, but the option is still there for unlimited, and a drat sight cheaper. You very much have my sympathies.

On a happier note, a friend introduced me to SleepWin, which seems like a perfectly good sleep app, so that's the last essential app I was missing on Windows Phone before I make the switch from iOS. I was planning on keeping my iPhone by the bed so I could use Sleep Cycle, but no more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
You guys, this Band is tits.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Did anyone else wake up this morning to find their Outlook.com account was no longer syncing their Twitter account to their phone, so the already-anemic WinPhone client doesn't work at all? Or is it just me?

ETA: Twitter is still showing up as a linked service on Outlook.com, but no sign of it on my phone whatsoever. Can't add it as an account, since its not an account type on WinPhone 8.1 :(

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Did anyone else wake up this morning to find their Outlook.com account was no longer syncing their Twitter account to their phone, so the already-anemic WinPhone client doesn't work at all? Or is it just me?

ETA: Twitter is still showing up as a linked service on Outlook.com, but no sign of it on my phone whatsoever. Can't add it as an account, since its not an account type on WinPhone 8.1 :(

Install the twitter client and it'll add itself back into the people hub. You never actually have to open the app specifically just to read tweets. It will reroute any tweets you click on into the app but they're tweets so you only need to do it if there's a link you want to click on. Also, it doesn't do notifications because suck.

~ app centric eco system: where the things you love are tied into a lovely app ~

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I already had the main official twitter client installed, it somehow broke hard overnight. The live tile was grayed out, wouldn't launch at all. Rebooting and a soft-reset didn't resolve the issue, but deleting the app and downloading it did.

Today's experience has made me miss Windows Phone v7.5 more than I already did.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

I already had the main official twitter client installed, it somehow broke hard overnight. The live tile was grayed out, wouldn't launch at all. Rebooting and a soft-reset didn't resolve the issue, but deleting the app and downloading it did.

It's good you got it working. Your concerns about losing functionality overnight are completely valid on this platform. That is something that does happen.

In other news, Tetra Lockscreen has been pulled. Jealous of BoA, Chase, MLB, etc Microsoft has taken to pulling its own first party apps. The functionality was something long promised, much hyped, and keynote demoed. So naturally it was an intern project and has now been scrapped.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't worry, I own four more android devices:
-Nexus 7 2013 with stock firmware (Android 5.0.2)
-Asus TF-201 with custom firmware (Cyanogenmod 10.2 = Android 4.3)
-Samsung Galaxy S AKA alarm clock with custom firmware (Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 = Android 4.3)
-Samsung Galaxy S4 with custom firmware (Google Edition 5.0.1)

They all share one common thing: stuff may break without warning. My N7 2013 needed once a factory reset after an official update because the accelerometer stopped working so you couldn't tilt the screen or play some games. My Galaxy S was garbage since release until I was brave to flash a custom rom because the community sadly fixes stuff faster than Samsung and Google. My Asus Transformer Prime (a 500€ tablet back in 2012) had a nvidia SoC (Tegra 3) and got its support abandoned. My Galaxy S4 seems to be the only device that had decent updates by Samsung and even better community made stuff but still had a factory issue with the sound chipset that made earphones to get hosed up sound thanks to Qualcomm(tm) that had to be fixed by Samsung (it's a Snapdragon 600 @ 1.9Ghz wich is still a drat powerful cpu).

My experience with WP 8.1, aside from an app breaking like yours, to the point that I had to reinstall it (only happened me once in 7 months) is been flawless and makes me wonder why this isn't more popular.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2015/04/01/microsoft-launches-ms-dos-mobile/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I know people who would use this unironically. Engineers are weird.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

More in this joke app than the rest of the first party apps combined. I wonder what % of polished first party group chat/group calendar/group photos app could have been constructed with the time it took to build that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

More in this joke app than the rest of the first party apps combined. I wonder what % of polished first party group chat/group calendar/group photos app could have been constructed with the time it took to build that.

Don't be that guy, being angry at WP is a fine pastime and all, but sitting back and appreciating a joke is good for your nerves too.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

I realize that there was probably a low opportunity cost for the joke app. But I'm not going to apologize for being mad over the forced suicide of a valuable, polished, first party experience. As long as people on the WP team think users don't mind when they pull this kind of thing, they'll keep thinking it's OK to do.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Can you use this to install Windows 3.1?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

loquacius posted:

I know people who would use this unironically. Engineers are weird.

I almost wish I had a Windows phone to play around with it.

I grew up with DOS...command line 4 lyfe.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Favorite DOS memories: Go!

I remember spending 3 hours banging my head trying to figure out how to get a goddamn mouse to work for this DOS game when I was like 8. gently caress it, lets try running "mouse" on DOS before the game.

I don't know if I've ever been more ecstatic in my life.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

I realize that there was probably a low opportunity cost for the joke app. But I'm not going to apologize for being mad over the forced suicide of a valuable, polished, first party experience. As long as people on the WP team think users don't mind when they pull this kind of thing, they'll keep thinking it's OK to do.

I'm not sure if this is a meta-joke or not. Because seriously, :psyduck:.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I had a small SD card in my phone with music on it, but then got a new sd card to fit more music. Now, when I use Xbox music the songs that were on the first SD card won't play, even though this is an entirely new card. I don't want to try to remember what songs were on the first card and manually delete them. Anyone have this problem before and come up with a solution?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ElGroucho posted:

I remember spending 3 hours banging my head trying to figure out how to get a goddamn mouse to work for this DOS game when I was like 8. gently caress it, lets try running "mouse" on DOS before the game.

I don't know if I've ever been more ecstatic in my life.

I played a game called Star Crusader installed in c:/sc. I went to install Sim City, but didn't want to install it in the folder sc2000, so I put it in c:/sc, breaking both games. I could never get Star Crusader to work right again, even with reinstalling.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Cortana can speak in the MS-DOS app, immersion ruined. :mad:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drat it, I completely forgot that is april fools, in spain is the 28th December when we do all the silly jokes. I was about to try DOS on my lumia because :spergin:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm not sure if this is a meta-joke or not. Because seriously, :psyduck:.
Eh, I don't know. Given how anemic the progress on the WP user interface has been, given the years it's been on the market, that joke app is a slap in the face.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Uthor posted:

Can you use this to install Windows 3.1?

yup

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Just got a music app called "modernmusic" and it rules, hard.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Guillermus posted:

drat it, I completely forgot that is april fools, in spain is the 28th December when we do all the silly jokes. I was about to try DOS on my lumia because :spergin:

I wish there was a dos ap, imagine all the odd badly optimized crap you could play with that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I wish there was a dos ap, imagine all the odd badly optimized crap you could play with that.

Get a qbasic app, run gorilla game :getin:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I don't know. Given how anemic the progress on the WP user interface has been, given the years it's been on the market, that joke app is a slap in the face.

I dunno, I've been slapped in the face and it feels pretty different.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Cortana can speak in the MS-DOS app, immersion ruined. :mad:

If you choose Sound Blaster. You don't remember Dr. Sbaitso?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

radiatinglines posted:

Just got a music app called "modernmusic" and it rules, hard.

nevermind, it randomly stops playing / wont play songs...

why can't I find a single app that works for this piece of poo poo?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

radiatinglines posted:

why can't I find a single app that works for this piece of poo poo?

Thread title please thanks in advance.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

So this iteration of XBong Music seems to work reasonably well. It does "sync" the one drive Music folder and things show up. I have Sprint so sometimes it plays, sometimes not. Its ability to buffer is interesting. Even on 3G it will play most of the time. Sometimes it barfs up and plays snippets of the track as though it has no buffer.

This morning I hopped in and hit play on tracks I heard yesterday on an album, and it kept saying it couldn't be played on my phone, until I closed the album and tried again.

This perfectly simulates my Android experience.

On the flip, pasting MP3s into onedrive is cake.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Partycat posted:

This perfectly simulates my Android experience.

Last time I used Android it was generally buggy as poo poo. Is this still the case? I ask because WP is still in two-strikes territory with me and nobody I know will ever let me live it down if I buy an iPhone.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

loquacius posted:

Last time I used Android it was generally buggy as poo poo. Is this still the case? I ask because WP is still in two-strikes territory with me and nobody I know will ever let me live it down if I buy an iPhone.

You could just get the phone you want and not worry about what other people think.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

loquacius posted:

I'm two weeks into my 2013 Moto X and loving it to be honest. Not buggy at all at the moment.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

I would have downloaded the gently caress out of this.

ElGroucho posted:

Too many to list. MEMMAKER, IRQ conflicts, booting DOS "high", configuration files, making boot disks, awesome installation programs and funny instruction manuals/ordering info when small groups of video game developers actually cared, etc. I still have a bunch of the commands memorized when I use DOSBox on every computer I use.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

loquacius posted:

I don't know if I would say buggy, but I lasted about four weeks with an LG G3 before I gave up. For all WP's faults, I couldn't forgive android for having an unusable piece of poo poo stock messaging app. Out of the box, brand new, the app was leggy as poo poo. The onscreen response was so far behind auto correct was placing jibberish on the screen. I found an app to replace it but that was only mildly better.

I sold it and came crawling back for more WP punishment.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wheezle posted:

You could just get the phone you want and not worry about what other people think.

Counterpoint: I don't particularly care what you think either :colbert:

Charles Martel posted:

I would have downloaded the gently caress out of this.

You can, it's a Marketplace app and it is fully functional :)

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't know if I would say buggy, but I lasted about four weeks with an LG G3 before I gave up. For all WP's faults, I couldn't forgive android for having an unusable piece of poo poo stock messaging app. Out of the box, brand new, the app was leggy as poo poo. The onscreen response was so far behind auto correct was placing jibberish on the screen. I found an app to replace it but that was only mildly better.

I sold it and came crawling back for more WP punishment.

See, I'd say something about how the WP first-party apps never give you any problems like that except the WP8 Music app is just barely past "usable" at this point having struggled there from "pile of poo poo"

I mean, honestly I use the Messaging app more often than I use the Music app (I mostly listen to music in the car and just tell Cortana what I want to hear) so one of those is more important to me than the other, but it's not a general-case thing anymore

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

loquacius posted:

Counterpoint: I don't particularly care what you think either :colbert:

You can, it's a Marketplace app and it is fully functional :)

See, I'd say something about how the WP first-party apps never give you any problems like that except the WP8 Music app is just barely past "usable" at this point having struggled there from "pile of poo poo"

I mean, honestly I use the Messaging app more often than I use the Music app (I mostly listen to music in the car and just tell Cortana what I want to hear) so one of those is more important to me than the other, but it's not a general-case thing anymore

If I used the Music app more I would complain, but honestly the stock experience on the LG G3 was more annoying than on WP.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

If I used the Music app more I would complain, but honestly the stock experience on the LG G3 was more annoying than on WP.

Yeah, the downside of Android is that the "stock" experience can be wildly different between phones, and using Samsung or LG's default apps can be even worse than WP. The upside is you can find Google or 3rd party alternatives, but that does take some amount of effort, and requires that you actually know that better apps exist and that you can fully replace what came stock on your phone with those better apps.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, the downside of Android is that the "stock" experience can be wildly different between phones, and using Samsung or LG's default apps can be even worse than WP. The upside is you can find Google or 3rd party alternatives, but that does take some amount of effort, and requires that you actually know that better apps exist and that you can fully replace what came stock on your phone with those better apps.

Although what's most galling about the music experience in WP is that is USED to be fantastic. When I switched from the OG IPhone to a Samsung focus way back in 2010, the music experience was one of the things I loved the most.

No there's no doubt in my mind that music on the iPhone is a better experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I looked it up - that actually seems like crazy good value compared to paying $70 for a gig and a half from telstra. That being said, telstra has always had the better network - do you get consistent 4G coverage and decent speeds on Optus? I have a friend on optus and he sometimes gets texts hours after I sent them, and he has to stand in his backyard to get reception, though that might just be his ancient phone.

I suppose you have to factor in the cost of buying a phone outright, but it might just be worth it.

so far so good in and around Melbourne

And yes you still have to buy a phone but I earn too much :shrug: and like a new phone every 9-12 month :(