Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
If I'm understanding Haunted Woods correctly, it can cause some hosed up situations, like where you are planning some megaturn and draw a million cards, but forget about Haunted Woods and buy a card from Black Market and have to put your whole hand back in your deck.

Just generally you'll have to be really conscious about the order of playing or not playing treasures from your hand, which a lot of new players probably don't even realize isn't just showing all your money and buying cards. If you don't need that Gold to buy something you can just put it back on your deck.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Elysium posted:

If I'm understanding Haunted Woods correctly, it can cause some hosed up situations, like where you are planning some megaturn and draw a million cards, but forget about Haunted Woods and buy a card from Black Market and have to put your whole hand back in your deck.

So after the megaturn, if you use everything, it would just be all your victory cards on top of your deck. Which makes it pretty brutal, but possibly helpful if you have leftover terminal cards.

Are there other Attack-Duration cards from earlier expansions? The on-buy ones probably mean that you have to choose between playing your moat for the +2 cards and preventing the attack.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
You play all of the treasures you're going to before you start buying cards. Caring about which treasures get played or not and in what order is nothing new, see Bank and Grand Market.

The black market interaction is weird, but it's a weird card and once you understand the interaction you can reduce the effect to nothing in every possible case.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

esquilax posted:

So after the megaturn, if you use everything, it would just be all your victory cards on top of your deck.

It would be any action cards you didn't play yet and any money you didn't put in play when you played black market (if you chose to only play what you needed). This is an extremely edge case scenario but still interesting.

quote:

You play all of the treasures you're going to before you start buying cards. Caring about which treasures get played or not and in what order is nothing new, see Bank and Grand Market.

Right, but it's much easier to forget that someone has Haunted Woods out than to not remember to play your Bank last, and people are going to have to be more vigilant/anal about people playing/not playing treasures "showing" vs playing, etc.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 1, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My Hansa Teutonica order got delayed :(

e: ugh those new Dominion cards look incredible. Must have steely resolve to not skip ahead in expansions.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

esquilax posted:

Are there other Attack-Duration cards from earlier expansions? The on-buy ones probably mean that you have to choose between playing your moat for the +2 cards and preventing the attack.

There are not. But from the preview article on DominionStrategy:

quote:

Moat must be revealed (or Lighthouse be in play) when Haunted Woods is played to block the attack effect.

One can assume the same is true about Swamp Hag.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

T-Bone posted:

e: ugh those new Dominion cards look incredible. Must have steely resolve to not skip ahead in expansions.

I am in the same boat. Every new preview makes me waffle on if my next purchase will be Prosperity or Adventures...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Swamp Hag seems really interesting. I can see one counter being the fact that you could empty the Curse pile with enough buys, and push the game to end if you had an advantage (and could stand the curses). With trash-on-gain cards, you would just toss all of the Curses into the trash and effectively have a way to trigger end-game. If you had the cash you could do the same thing with Estates, trash the Curses that come in and keep the points, and edge yourself into victory. So it definitely seems like you want to keep an eye on piles if you play it late-game.

I don't remember the preview text mentioning this: can you KC a Hireling, and if so, then does that also remove the KC from your deck?

And Amulet takes one of my favorite (more for utility than raw power) cards, Steward, and modifies it into a duration. I know that they playtest, but 3 seems almost too low for something that seems that useful (then again, Chapel is 2, and it's Chapel). I can see Amulet becoming my first 3-buy in many games.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm just happy I'll have an excuse to make people play Dominion again :getin:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Didn't they already announce it though?

The expansion has been unofficially-officially confirmed by designer posts on BGG/podcast interviews for a while, so... yeah.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I got Dominion to the table last night just because I was excited about spoilers.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

sector_corrector posted:

I don't remember the preview text mentioning this: can you KC a Hireling, and if so, then does that also remove the KC from your deck?
I assume it will work the same way as Goons, you can KC it all you want but since there's only one physical card in play you'll only ever get one extra draw. I don't see why it would remove KC, you don't have to trash it when you use it on a card that self trashes.

e: nevermind, I went and looked up the rules for duration cards + KC and now I see where you're coming from. Incidentally I've been playing that wrong.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

misguided rage posted:

I assume it will work the same way as Goons, you can KC it all you want but since there's only one physical card in play you'll only ever get one extra draw. I don't see why it would remove KC, you don't have to trash it when you use it on a card that self trashes.

The text on hireling doesn't say that it has to be in play for the +1 Card effect, it just says that it grants you the effect "for the rest of the game". The part about staying in play is mechanically unconnected to the +1 Card. In short that means you can use KC to get +3.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jivjov posted:

I am in the same boat. Every new preview makes me waffle on if my next purchase will be Prosperity or Adventures...

Yeah, but if they were previewing Prosperity cards you'd be excited for that, too. Prosperity is awesome. In fact, it might be my favourite.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, but if they were previewing Prosperity cards you'd be excited for that, too. Prosperity is awesome. In fact, it might be my favourite.

Yep my second favorite after Dark Ages.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

My favorite is easily Alchemy, followed by Dark Ages, Followed by Prosperity.

Alchemy is so busted, but it appeals to the dork in me that just wants to chain actions all day long.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rutibex posted:

The text on hireling doesn't say that it has to be in play for the +1 Card effect, it just says that it grants you the effect "for the rest of the game". The part about staying in play is mechanically unconnected to the +1 Card. In short that means you can use KC to get +3.

I'm inclined to agree, and that's insane. Although, you have to have $7, $5, and get those to collide. At which point the game is probably pretty close to being over.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've got a major birthday coming up so I'm looking for my next major pick-up. I've narrowed it down to Kemet and Terra Mystica. I'll be picking the other up eventually, but I'd be grateful for some views on which one to grab now. My friends are happy to play whatever, so I've really got no idea which to grab as I'm pretty excited about the both of them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Really, is setting it up really worth the kings courted hireling versus just buying two or three

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StashAugustine posted:

Really, is setting it up really worth the kings courted hireling versus just buying two or three

By the time you've got either combination in play, the game is probably over.

These preview cards all look pretty interesting, and I think they have some great interactions, but none of them are super-broken so far.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Donald X's thoughts on buying order of the expansions from ~3 years ago:

quote:

Tables asks: “Suppose a new player just got the base game for Christmas, but wants to get an expansion immediately because they love the game. Which expansions would you recommend?”

I specifically made Intrigue to be the first expansion, and saved Prosperity for 3rd (4th because Alchemy got pushed ahead) so that you had time to get used to not having Colony before getting it. And then the sets get more complex later. So you might think I would just say, go in order, shifting Alchemy to last. However! I feel like I got better at making sets as of Seaside; the main set and Intrigue both have a greater number of uh weak / narrow cards. So I would say, get Seaside.

http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/12/21/interview-with-donald-x-vaccarino-part-ii-dominion/

I kind of interpret this as, if you're only going to buy one expansion maybe get the best later one, maybe Prosperity, or Hinterlands, I don't know. But if you're getting them all one by one, get them in order so the older expansions aren't overshadowed and you gradually introduce the complexity.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective just arrived at CSI.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Dominion rules question: Moat specifically works only on attacks, so you cannot Moat away the card passing of Masquerade, correct?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Dominion rules question: Moat specifically works only on attacks, so you cannot Moat away the card passing of Masquerade, correct?

Correct. It's one of this thing that makes Masq. a really effective and tricky card.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thespaceinvader posted:

By the time you've got either combination in play, the game is probably over.

These preview cards all look pretty interesting, and I think they have some great interactions, but none of them are super-broken so far.

I can see it happening in Colony games, or games with really effective trashing and upgrading where you can hit 7 relatively early, but yeah, it's definitely an edge case.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Correct. Similarly, you cannot moat to prevent the reveal and discard of Tribute.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

I've got a major birthday coming up so I'm looking for my next major pick-up. I've narrowed it down to Kemet and Terra Mystica. I'll be picking the other up eventually, but I'd be grateful for some views on which one to grab now. My friends are happy to play whatever, so I've really got no idea which to grab as I'm pretty excited about the both of them.

They are two extremely different games, so you'll need to decide. There's no way to actually 'compare' them, since one is a pvp battle game, and the other is a Euro strategy game.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I guess the decision would be based on whether you feel more like a PvP battle game or a chunky Euro builder game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

admanb posted:

I guess the decision would be based on whether you feel more like a PvP battle game or a chunky Euro builder game.

Also whether you feel like a game that takes less than two hours or one that takes more than three. Depending on when and where you play, this can be a big factor in how often you get to play it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think it is also worth noting that Terra Mystica is 5lb, making it $11.10/lb. Kemet is 4.5lb, making it $10.88/lb, the better deal over all.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
mm

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

I think it is also worth noting that Terra Mystica is 5lb, making it $11.10/lb. Kemet is 4.5lb, making it $10.88/lb, the better deal over all.

When we talk about weight, that's not what we mean.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Intrigue is my favorite Dominion expansion, I guess because I'm a boring person. I enjoy the simplicity of it compared to how crazy some of the later sets get. I almost always play kingdoms with at least 50% base or Intrigue cards.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The first Roll for the Galaxy expansion, Ambition, will be released this fall.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Awesome, but not unexpected news hehe.

EBag
May 18, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Not too surprising but will be very nice, my only complaint about the game is it doesn't have as many tiles as I'd like. Curious to see what new dice they will add, hopefully they reign in some of the gimmicks they tried with Race and can come up with something fun.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I played the last recommended Kingdom (Village Square) in the Dominion base set. Festival/Cellar/Library is an insane combo, I ended up getting to the point where I was refreshing my entire deck every two turns (probably could have done it per turn if there had been a good way to gut my coppers and/or I sprung for another Library) even as the green cards started piling up. Ended up taking that session convincingly. This game is seriously fun as hell.

...yes I did already buy the Intrigue expansion and am waiting for it to arrive, why do you ask? :ninja:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

Intrigue is my favorite Dominion expansion, I guess because I'm a boring person. I enjoy the simplicity of it compared to how crazy some of the later sets get. I almost always play kingdoms with at least 50% base or Intrigue cards.

This is why Hinterlands is still my favorite set. It is as polished as the later sets but still simple and the "on gain" mechanic isn't as crazy while still being a super versatile idea. Also it has a ton of cool interactive stuff. It makes sense because at one point it was going to be a standalone

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I get that it's apples and oranges, I'm just just asking for a quick subjective view on whether people prefer the world's best apple or the world's best orange.

Rutibex posted:

See, Rutibex isn't afraid to voice an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'll say this, I've played Kemet like six times by now and I could easily see myself playing it five times that much and not getting tired of it anytime soon. This last game I played was the first time anyone bought any of the power tiles that give you bonus actions on your turn and it opened up whole new strategies while I've got a brand new plan in mind for the next game that I want to try out that's completely unrelated. It's a legit good game and there's an expansion coming out that looks like it'll be pretty sweet too, it gets my recommendation.