Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gyges posted:

I don't think Cromwell was that big an rear end.

Cromwell was indeed a big enough of an rear end to ban Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz has raised $4,000,000 in the last eight days.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

If a candidate raises money but drops out later in the race, where does that remaining money go?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If a candidate raises money but drops out later in the race, where does that remaining money go?

They can hold onto it indefinitely (Evan Bayh still has a ~$10m campaign fund), donate it to a non-profit (Tom Harkin spent his to create the Tom Harkin Institute), hire a bunch of their friends and family and use it to pay them salaries (Jim Webb did this), or give it to the RNC/DNC as a contribution.

In Cruz's case it will almost certainly get rolled into a Ted Cruz 2018 Senate campaign fund.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

They can hold onto it indefinitely (Evan Bayh still has a ~$10m campaign fund), donate it to a non-profit (Tom Harkin spent his to create the Tom Harkin Institute), hire a bunch of their friends and family and use it to pay them salaries (Jim Webb did this), or give it to the RNC/DNC as a contribution.

In Cruz's case it will almost certainly get rolled into a Ted Cruz 2018 Senate campaign fund.
What's to stop you from hiring your mom for $10 million then her buying you a yacht?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

New non profit idea: National Assoc. for the Advancement of Ted Cruz

CEO and some employee: Ted Cruz

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Josh Lyman posted:

What's to stop you from hiring your mom for $10 million then her buying you a yacht?

AFAIK, nothing. The FEC rules limit the amount of donations, not disbursements, though you do need to itemize and report all campaign fund expenditures, which is how we found out about Jim Webb hiring his family with his leftover Senate campaign cash and Ron Paul's affinity for McDonalds, Subway, and The Dollar Tree. It should be noted that the latter is a tree made of filthy fiat money which will be totally worthless due to the impending hyperinflation triggered by the Bilderbergers at the Federal Reserve.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I need to write a book and run for President, what a great scam.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sir Tonk posted:

Almost all campaigns end up in debt. They are incredibly costly to run.

Cruz's probably will as well, but of all the candidates he's the best positioned to use that cash sparingly. He's going to get a ton of earned media because he's a giant rear end in a top hat and the news will cover whatever he says, wherever he says it as long as he keeps being a giant rear end in a top hat, which doesn't seem like it will be a problem for him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sir Tonk posted:

You too could be living it up shopping at Dollar Tree.

This could be you!

This could be your recently condemned campaign office!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Hahaha was that a Paul office or is it a pic from stockman's combination campaign HQ/storage locker?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There's a pretty good article on salon that dissects the medias obsession with the mythical Elizabeth Warren campaign

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/01/americas_elizabeth_warren_denial_why_everyone_still_pretends_shes_running_for_president/

Like many goons, I'd love to see her primary just to hear the debates, but maybe it's time to take her off the polls.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Full Battle Rattle posted:

maybe it's time to take her off the polls.

I'll #slatepitch this: keep Warren in the polls!

Polls of the Democratic primary have been incredibly clear: Hillary Clinton is going to be the nominee. However, there is a minority of the party that would prefer a leftist challenge to Hillary. Keeping Warren in the polls provides an effective measure of the size and influence of that minority. Currently, it appears to be somewhere between 10-15% of Democratic primary voters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

All aboard Freedom Cruz

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hahaha was that a Paul office or is it a pic from stockman's combination campaign HQ/storage locker?

That's Stockman's campaign HQ.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That is by far the most flattering picture of Stockman's campaign HQ, it looked like a hoarder's meth lab.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

AFAIK, nothing. The FEC rules limit the amount of donations, not disbursements, though you do need to itemize and report all campaign fund expenditures, which is how we found out about Jim Webb hiring his family with his leftover Senate campaign cash and Ron Paul's affinity for McDonalds, Subway, and The Dollar Tree. It should be noted that the latter is a tree made of filthy fiat money which will be totally worthless due to the impending hyperinflation triggered by the Bilderbergers at the Federal Reserve.

Doesn't the FEC have the requirement that you can't hire family members for above-average wage with campaign funds?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

All aboard Freedom Cruz

http://www.conservativecruises.com/

So, who wants to be stuck on a boat with Michele Bachmann or Bill Kristol?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 2, 2015

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

^^god that sounds like such a funtastic way to spend spring break

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Cromwell was indeed a big enough of an rear end to ban Christmas.

And Bill O'Reilly fancies himself a veteran of The War on Christmas. Wonder if he's aware of this. Thanks for sharing, while I knew Cromwell was an evil fella, I still learned some interesting stuff today between this and that Dan Burton rear end in a top hat.

edit: :laffo: at Jim Geraghty

root beer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 2, 2015

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Sir Tonk posted:

all I can think of is The Ship mod for Half Life

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

I love how Buckley started the whole cruise thing and then became a pariah at his own cruises because he kept talking about how stupidly Bush was running the wars.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sir Tonk posted:

I am curious how paranoid they all are that anybody might be some kind of leftist plant, just waiting to catch them on tape baying for blood, or lead them on some SAE chants. Don't trust anybody under 70!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I would really like for the Kristol Kruise to end up sharing a ship with the Kid Rock cruise.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Matt Taibbi needs to go on that cruise (incognito probably) and write a long form article about his experience.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OctoberBlues posted:

Matt Taibbi needs to go on that cruise (incognito probably) and write a long form article about his experience.
P.J. O'Rourke did one of those in the 1980s. Except it was a cruise advertised in The Nation, and it was on a Soviet cruise ship traveling down the Volga River.

It's pretty funny.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Slo-Tek posted:

I am curious how paranoid they all are that anybody might be some kind of leftist plant, just waiting to catch them on tape baying for blood, or lead them on some SAE chants. Don't trust anybody under 70!

Ah-hem. http://nymag.com/news/features/republican-caribbean-cruise-2012-12/

quote:

Onstage were Reed, now in lime-green pants embroidered with pink swordfish and navy polo shirt with white piping on the collar; and Scott Rasmussen, the pollster who consistently overrated Romney’s chances of winning the election. Rasmussen blasted the assembled Republicans with one crushing statistic after another. The exit poll data, he said, “create a negative brand image of the Republican Party as a party that only cares about white people.”

The audience murmured unhappily.

“And that image is hurting among the youth,” he continued. “It is hurting across the culture. It is something that has to be addressed across the party. It has to be addressed. You can’t just wish it away.”

Reed expanded on the theme. “You can’t run and win a national election in an electorate that is becoming decreasingly white and increasingly minority and lose 80 percent of the minority vote,” he said. “That math just doesn’t add up.”

Rasmussen offered some friendly advice about approaching minorities. “You show them that you really care, you talk to them as grown-ups on a range of issues, you get them involved,” he suggested, “and you accept the fact that it’s a long-term investment. And you accept that you can learn as much from them as you can teach them.”

This was harsh medicine to reluctant patients, and afterward some of them made their discomfort known. “That depressed me!” one woman said. To my right, a man snapped, “That’s bullshit!”

The man was Bing West, former assistant secretary of Defense under Ronald Reagan, a former Marine and a National Review contributor.

West, mocking Rasmussen, said: “If you stupid Republicans weren’t so goddamn bigoted you would have won the election!”

His wife, Betsy, who bears a resemblance to Nancy Reagan, patted him on the back and apologized on his behalf, saying, “I don’t know why he said that. He’s usually not like that.”

Six more pages of gold. I think there might have been a similar article back around the 2008 election.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

This could be you!

This could be your recently condemned campaign office!

Hey look it's literally the kool aid they drank.

Why is the bottom full of pictures of beards.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 2, 2015

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Sharkie posted:

Why is the bottom full of pictures of beards.

:iceburn:

I don't think Hillary needs a progressive challenger, because it seems to be easier to win a general election coming from the left/right wing and moving center.

The last 20 years of elections point to the trend -

1996 - Bob Dole ran to the center of Pat Buchanan and lost

2000 - Al Gore ran to the center of Bill Bradley and lost
George W ran to the right of John McCain and won

2004 - John Kerry ran to the center of Howard Dean and a few others and lost

2008 - Barack Obama ran to the left of Hillary and won
McCain ran to the center of Romney and Huckabee and lost

2012 - Mitt Romney ran to the center of the clown car extravaganza and lost.

If Hillary has to face a challenger from the left, I think it'll make it hard to change gears and work to the center. Let her face Jim Webb and Brian Schweitzer and then win the general.

Or this could be a crackpot theory based on correlation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So correct me if I'm wrong on my gut impression here, but the Democrats don't really have Barack Obama riding into the national consciousness on a magical unicorn this time so I have to assume everyone on the Democratic side has to know Hillary's getting the nomination. Like, I'm sure some of them will be poking around, keeping a campaign machine together on the down-low in case something unexpected happens, a few might be stubborn enough for a Quixotic run or try that "challenge from the left" thing, and of course Biden will be gnashing his teeth that he'd have a perfectly legitimate shot at the nomination if not for Hillary, but I can't imagine there's really any serious competition forming.

If Biden decides spending a whole lot of money just to get humiliated one last time before retirement isn't for him then there'll probably hardly even be a Democratic primary. One crushing Iowa from Hillary to confirm that nobody's spoiling her last shot and she's not about to trip over her own two feet and that'll be it, all eyes on the Republican clown car. It's actually a pretty interesting contrast that the Democrats don't have the same field of weirdo grifters in their Presidential stable.

I do have to wonder what Biden's thinking right now. If he doesn't run the Primary he can pretty much retire on a solid legacy, albeit with the "America's weird old uncle" overtones from the Vice Presidency. If he tries to mount a serious contest in the Primary though I could see Hillary doing a number on him, he's got more than a few weak spots and it'd be a rough way to go out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm wonder why doesn't Al Qaeda do suicide boat attacks any more?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, you aren't familiar with Dan Burton? Let me play the highlight reel for you

That's his "Controversies" list. His "stupid poo poo that fell out of his mouth" list is much much longer

How did this guy stay in office, when his own seem to consider him a nutcase? Do the GoP accept anyone as long as they vote as far to the right as possible?

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 2, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Can we let Kristol steer the cruise ship? His sense of direction is flawless, after all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump surges in new Suffolk University NH primary poll.

Bush: 19
Walker: 14
Paul: 7
Trump: 6
Cruz: 5
Christie: 5
Rubio: 3
Huckabee: 3
Carson: 3

Ten other candidates received less than 2 percent, and 24 percent were undecided.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rincewinds posted:

How did this guy stay in office, when his own seem to consider him a nutcase? Do the GoP accept anyone as long as they vote as far to the right as possible?

Very red district and no one wanted to challenge him in the primary. Running against an incumbent for House isn't very rewarding.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You do you, Teddy.

quote:

"Religious liberty is not some fringe view," Cruz, currently the only declared candidate for president, said to about 300 people in Sioux City, the first stop on a two-day tour. "Sadly, a whole lot of Republicans are terrified of this issue."

Cruz had strong words for business leaders who haven't defended religious freedom laws like the one in Indiana, which has sparked a firestorm of debate.

"The Fortune 500 is running shamelessly to endorse the radical gay marriage agenda over religious liberty to say: 'We will persecute a Christian pastor, a Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi,' " he said. "Any person of faith is subject to persecution if they dare disagree, if their religious faith parts way from their political commitment to gay marriage."

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

a Christian pastor, a Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi

That's what you get when you've been raised by an evangelical preacher.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Was this because of IN/RFRA?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

It was mostly because he announced he was running for president I expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

ufarn posted:

It's because of an old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

• Locked thread