Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've got a Stebel Nautilus kicking around somewhere. When I find it, that sumbitch is going on my Jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I really want to install an air compressor truck horn set in my car but I'm wondering if it would actually work to surprise assholes away from me. They're illegal to use in non-emergency situations; that's the case for every car horn IIRC but some states are more lax about excessive horn-use enforcement than others. The problem is that many people don't seem to hear regular car horns, or they don't register it because they're too distracted.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 31, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I recently found my set of bro truck air horns I got for one of my jeeps many years ago. They were embarrassingly chrome-y and I never got around to installing them.

Gonna find a spot to put them under the hood on the Justy. Beep beep, motherfuckers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have one of these in my beetle. Still have the stock horn, too, but this has saved my bacon at least once.

http://www.kanoycommunications.com/sho-me-30-0200-slim-speaker/

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I really want to install an air compressor truck horn set in my car but I'm wondering if it would actually work to surprise assholes away from me. They're illegal to use in non-emergency situations; that's the case for every car horn IIRC but some states are more lax about excessive horn-use enforcement than others. The problem is that many people don't seem to hear regular car horns, or they don't register it because they're too distracted.

I've got a wolo bad boy you can have for 20 bucks plus shipping if you want it. I personally did not like it.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

nitrogen posted:

I've got a wolo bad boy you can have for 20 bucks plus shipping if you want it. I personally did not like it.

Why didn't you like it?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Just today, a Volvo XC70 driven by somebody talking on their cell phone while not signaling any lane changes.

Back window? Sticker that says "Don't Be A Dick"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's a message to other people, duh.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

It's like seeing people with the Baby On Board signs driver really recklessly and aggressively even though they expect other motorists around them to drive carefully.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pixelated Dragon posted:

It's like seeing people with the Baby On Board signs driver really recklessly and aggressively even though they expect other motorists around them to drive carefully.

Those might as well read "I'm a self-important rear end in a top hat, please do as I say and not as I do."

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Why didn't you like it?

I needed to rewire from the battery with a relay, and it wasn't worth it for me. I originally bought it to replace a horn on a motorcycle, but the horn was actually fine, the wiring was rotted.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
This morning I was minding my business on the way to a customer's house crusing at 40 in a 35 (flow of traffic) when someone cut out in front of me from a stop sign, slammed their brakes mid turn forcing me to do the same, then immediately pulled over and cut off the driver behind me to follow me. I ended up being late because this driver then proceeded to follow me through 3 unsignaled left turns, 5 unsignaled rights, and 3 illegal u-turns before I finally got them to drive around a corner allowing me to sneak down the customer's long gated driveway with cameras. I have no idea what I did to set them off (my exhaust is kind of loud, maybe?) but it sure must have been something because I could see the street they were following me on from where I was working, and the driver kept driving back and forth on that street for another hour. gently caress, people are mental.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Fo3 posted:

Maybe that has something to do with all the cars driving at night with lights off? They're normally new, smaller cars that teens would have bought for them in this area and they probably have their face in a phone anyway.
Where I'm living now is a very cheap house in the state's most affluent area, and I've never seen so many cars at night with lights off in my life!
It didn't happen before the rise of smart phones and social media, and doesn't happen so much in poorer areas where kids have to buy their own first piece of crap car I reckon.

Every time I go out on the road at night these days I'm only on the road for 5min at a time just to get to the local shop, and without fail I see a car with no lights on. Every single night. So I wonder how many per night drive without lights on in this area.

I went for a short drive this evening. Only had to get to the end of my street to see a silver car driving down the highway across me without lights on. It was 8pm at night, I was in my car less than 30sec. gently caress this area.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Mandating that cars with permanently illuminated dashboards have automatic lights would fix the issue and cost the manufacturers next to nothing. Ideally, the car would default to "Auto" whenever it was started, preventing people from shutting the lights off one day and leaving them like that.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Maybe it's just where I live (lovely drivers ground zero) but I see at least one or two black cars a night without headlights, or with just DRL's. It's never teenagers though, rather the foreign Microsoft work contract people. At least they kind of have an excuse, since most of them are in their 30's to 50's and have never driven a car in their lives.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 1, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

nitrogen posted:

I needed to rewire from the battery with a relay, and it wasn't worth it for me. I originally bought it to replace a horn on a motorcycle, but the horn was actually fine, the wiring was rotted.

I'll ask my husband. I'll probably get it for him. I know he really wants a set of train horns for his VW but those are super illegal in almost all if not absolutely all states.

Something like a truck horn will get someone's attention without waking up the entire neighborhood within two miles and probably netting him a ticket.

Unfortunately, a couple times on the highway the stock horn hasn't been loud enough because some other driver was [on the phone/playing really loud music/daydreaming/whatever].

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not sure if you can see from this image but the silver people carrier's front wheel is pointing about 30' into my lane, whilst driving straight. It was shrieking like a banshee as well for some reason...

Oh right. On his phone as well,? Great. I called the police but there are a dozen exits he could have come off in the next 5 miles.

Should this be in the mechanical failures thread?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sanchez posted:

Mandating that cars with permanently illuminated dashboards have automatic lights would fix the issue and cost the manufacturers next to nothing.

Except now they can't put $5 worth of wiring and sensors into a car, add a few lines of code to the GEM and pass it off as a $125 "option."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My car has automatic headlights. If the next car I own doesn't have those, I will probably end up driving around without lights on a lot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geoj posted:

Except now they can't put $5 worth of wiring and sensors into a car, add a few lines of code to the GEM and pass it off as a $125 "option."

haha, $5 worth of wiring and sensors. That buys you, like, the wire and maybe the crimp terminals, but probably not the connector shells, seals, or sensors.

I wish stuff was that cheap :(

(It might be in high volume, but to give an example, the connector I just specced for a transmission control unit is something like $43 in qty1 and only goes down to about $20 in qty100. Price curves flatten out noticeably on stuff like that past that point, I might be lucky to see $15 if I ordered a couple thousand.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It really, really, really depends on the connector and terminals.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, this was a 35 position AMPSEAL w/ gold plated contact areas.

Some dumpster tier Sumitomo 2-3 pin used to connect to a washer fluid pump or 6054/9003 bulb? gently caress I bet you could get the price down under 25 cents.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I just watched a cyclist ride around a decent sized commercial truck, and then swerve straight across its path to get to a bike lane, with literally a foot and a half to spare. God drat.

HEY VAPER posted:

Maybe it's just where I live (lovely drivers ground zero) but I see at least one or two black cars a night without headlights, or with just DRL's. It's never teenagers though, rather the foreign Microsoft work contract people. At least they kind of have an excuse, since most of them are in their 30's to 50's and have never driven a car in their lives.

I have massive deja vu from this post

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

FuturePastNow posted:

My car has automatic headlights. If the next car I own doesn't have those, I will probably end up driving around without lights on a lot.

My Escape, as I found out accidentally, will turn the headlights off when the car is off. So now it's just set to headlights on always. Automatic never seems to turn them on as early as I like them on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

StormDrain posted:

set to headlights on always

That's what I've done when I've had cars that turn headlights off automatically.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why yes Bro Truck, that breakdown lane is now your personal passing lane, especially when the left lane is perfectly clear! :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't like auto lights because often they don't come on anywhere near as early as I'd like.

I never had any issue with the full time illuminated dashboard on my old car though - I guess turning the lights on when necessary was already second nature to me.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

That's what I've done when I've had cars that turn headlights off automatically.

My car will turn the headlights on and off automatically if you leave it on the "auto" setting.

If you leave the headlights on the "on"position, though, it'll helpfully leave the xenons on until your battery is completely discharged.

Also, g37's have a lovely engine cover that makes replacing a murdered battery way harder than it should ever be.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Look bro, this is coming from one dime-pounding fist-bumping bro that lifts to another. I'm sorry, bro, gonna give it to you straight.

If you can't afford to put a set of tires on your truck, bro, don't buy a truck that needs six of them.
(Also, the fronts were the cheapest Chinese tires you could find at Pep Boys.)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

dissss posted:

I don't like auto lights because often they don't come on anywhere near as early as I'd like.

I never had any issue with the full time illuminated dashboard on my old car though - I guess turning the lights on when necessary was already second nature to me.

The ones in my Vibe are drat good. They come on just before the point where I'd have done so manually. The only times they've been a burden have been when I hit those super dark mountain tunnels on a sunny day, since they don't react to sudden drastic changes in lighting.
And as far as adjusting back to a manually-lit vehicle, it's not as tough as you'd think. The buzzer helps with the odd stupid moment you do have before you get back in the habit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ripoff posted:

Look bro, this is coming from one dime-pounding fist-bumping bro that lifts to another. I'm sorry, bro, gonna give it to you straight.

If you can't afford to put a set of tires on your truck, bro, don't buy a truck that needs six of them.
(Also, the fronts were the cheapest Chinese tires you could find at Pep Boys.)

nah bro theyre street slicks

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Here's the simple explanation for shithead cyclists.

We require licenses to drive yet our licensing system is horrible, inadequate, and broken, so people with no skills and terrible habits get licenses.

You don't need a license to ride a bike.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I've seen you all complaining here about the grey/silver cars driving after dark with no headlights on. While it made sense, I hadn't had any issues in recent memory to relate to until tonight.

I was operating a streetcar through an intersection tonight and nearly t-boned some jackass with 26 tons of wood and steel. I was operating through a section where the streetcar tracks are in the far right lane, against the curb. I stopped to let someone off, and after shutting the doors, I did a quick check of my wing mirror. I saw one car about half a block behind me in the middle lane, and decided that it was safe to move. I didn't see a gray Lexus that was apparently much closer, and also in the middle lane, with his lights off. As I had the front of the streetcar halfway through the intersection, the gray Lexus gunned it and turned right directly in front of me. At this point I was already nearing ten miles per hour or so. I missed hitting him by about a foot. I kind of wish I had hit him. It would have been worth the four pages of paperwork.

One night, I'm going to set my cell phone by one of the front windows and just record all of this poo poo that I have to deal with.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tex Avery posted:

One night, I'm going to set my cell phone by one of the front windows and just record all of this poo poo that I have to deal with.

You should do this every night. Make a channel, I'll subscribe. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sanchez posted:

Mandating that cars with permanently illuminated dashboards have automatic lights would fix the issue and cost the manufacturers next to nothing. Ideally, the car would default to "Auto" whenever it was started, preventing people from shutting the lights off one day and leaving them like that.

My car is setup exactly like this, except the backlights on the dash don't light up during the day (the needles do though). You have to make an effort to actually disable the automatic lights, every time you drive.

If you're stupid enough to leave the switch in the on position (despite all the bells/gongs/beeps/etc) when you get out, the car shuts them off 10 minutes after you shut off the engine, even on the cars optioned without automatic headlights. And if you have the automatic headlights, the only time you ever touch the switch is if it's raining or foggy.

It's one thing GM mostly did right. It'd be nice to have an override when you're trying to load up a cargo van, but just hitting the keyfob, or hitting the door switch, lights everything back up.

Related, a few months ago I pulled up next to a Lexus SUV driving with zero lights. I rolled down the window and asked the driver how she could see. She looked confused, then flipped a switch, and said "oh my mechanic must have turned them off, I just got it back from the shop today". How the gently caress do you manage to drive on a pitch dark road with no lights and not think "why is the road so dark"? :downsgun:

Tex Avery posted:

If you can figure out a way to get ~12-14VDC out of one of those old bastards (and have a microSD card), I have an extra dashcam I'm not using. :v:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tex Avery posted:

I was operating a streetcar through an intersection tonight and nearly t-boned some jackass with 26 tons of wood and steel.

You should post a thread about being a street car operator, it sounds interesting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As someone who's actually ridden on the street cars he operates (though I've never met Tex)..

I agree.

They're really straight out of the early 1900s, right down to the "I smell electrical poo poo burning" smell.

e: vvv :haw:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The guy would probably tell the cops you cut him off, too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumbass makes things go from bad to worse: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ac_1427743476

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

some texas redneck posted:

If you can figure out a way to get ~12-14VDC out of one of those old bastards (and have a microSD card), I have an extra dashcam I'm not using. :v:

Don't most dashcams run off USB power? http://www.dxsoul.com/product/xiaomi-genuine-16000mah-dual-usb-mobile-li-ion-power-bank-w-4-led-indicators-silver-white-901363631 :science: