Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
"The Spy Who Loved Me" - Martha Hanson Westerfeld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

savinhill posted:

I'm not sure that it's love motivating Martha to act the way she is right now, calculated self-preservation could also easily explain her whole "I just wanna drop it & don't care who you really are" followed by eager volunteering of FBI info Clark hadn't even thought to ask for yet.

She's also completely hosed regardless. The FBI isn't just going to say "oh, I guess you were duped, it's okay." Best case scenario is that she loses her job and can never work for the government again, probably after they force her to turn in Clark just to stay out of jail. Worst case scenario is a whole lot worse.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paradoxish posted:

She's also completely hosed regardless. The FBI isn't just going to say "oh, I guess you were duped, it's okay." Best case scenario is that she loses her job and can never work for the government again, probably after they force her to turn in Clark just to stay out of jail. Worst case scenario is a whole lot worse.

It's worse than that. Martha's eventually going to feel like she has 'power' over Clark - the first time she tries to use it, he'll have to kill her, and for all he knows, she's taken steps to expose him if anything happens to her.

She was acting like someone who feels they're in control, not the doting wife. She made the decision to give up on the idea of adopting a kid to publicly display her making a decision without running it past him, even if it's something he wanted her to do.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 27, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dear the americans writers:

please have oleg defect so he and Stan can have a spinoff where they cruise est chicks, fight crime and pound beers

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
someone write some stan/oleg fan fiction

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That murder was vicious , surprised to see no comments on it. Get's shot in the eye then strangled to death. Christ.

Ugh the old woman scene was brutal.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 27, 2015

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I loved the contrast of Elizabeth's one-and-done headshot on the South African girl and Hans' horribly botched assassination attempt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

That murder was vicious , surprised to see no comments on it. Get's shot in the eye then strangled to death. Christ.

Ugh the old woman scene was brutal.

Yeah I like it when shows portray accurately how hard and gruesome it is to kill people. Not because I'm a sick gently caress, but because violence is so easy and quick on TV typically that it undercuts just how barbaric an act murder is.

"it got messy"
"Operations often do," said Elizabeth, foreshadowingly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It sure was convenient that the bookkeeper was willing to overdose. It would have been suspicious if there had been a struggle, or if she went missing.

Why not just pretend to be practising corporate espionage?

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Platystemon posted:

It sure was convenient that the bookkeeper was willing to overdose. It would have been suspicious if there had been a struggle, or if she went missing.

Why not just pretend to be practising corporate espionage?

They weren't in disguise for..reasons. It didn't matter what kind of espionage that the old lady thought they were doing...can't leave a witness around. The whole scene was really contrived, but it was so well-done that it isn't worth complaining about.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

beanieson posted:

Yea I was (only) half joking. It's also just as likely that she's just gone completely nuts.

Phillip's new ploy is to convince Martha that he is a figment of her imagination, he will enlist the entire illegal army to stage giant flash mobs where they all pretend not to see him.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Platystemon posted:

I think a line from Elizabeth about how the alternative would be much more painful might have sold the scene better, but that may have been too overt.

I'm interested to see what this parade of horrifying poo poo is building to, and whether it will tie in to Elizabeth's willingness to offer up her daughter to the cause.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ganthony posted:

They weren't in disguise for..reasons. It didn't matter what kind of espionage that the old lady thought they were doing...can't leave a witness around. The whole scene was really contrived, but it was so well-done that it isn't worth complaining about.

I’m not saying that Elizabeth could have let the lady go at that point, but yeah, why weren’t they wearing disguises?

They went into the operation seemingly with no contingency plan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I think a line from Elizabeth about how the alternative would be much more painful might have sold the scene better, but that may have been too overt.

I think her reasoning for complying was explained *enough*, if not that satisfactorily, when she started succumbing to the medication (I could only assume they were anti-anxiotics or beta blockers since they didn't look like nitro pills) and asks if her husband 'sent' Elizabeth to her, presumably to bring her back to him, even asking if he was with the 'other woman.' I think she'd come to terms with her demise and was tired of waiting, alone, for death. She took the door that was offered to her.

But yeah, I agree that they should've reconnoitered the place better, but maybe they *only* had that evening as a window of vulnerability, and Gabriel had told them to bug Mr. Mail T. Robot *that afternoon*.

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Now that I think about it...disguises would not have saved the old lady. Even if she couldn't ID Elizabeth, a reported break in would likely cause some red flags, and get the Mail Robot to get inspected. The bug in Stuttering Bill's office has to have them on high alert.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Rhys is such a great actor. You could really feel Phil's righteous anger at Gabriel/the Center without him even have to raise his voice during that Scrabble scene.

Also, if Stan & Oleg's hotel plan for defector lady is any indication, it's no wonder they couldn't save Nina. The only positive thing it achieved was that it led to them having a beer together.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I guess I'm a robot because the old woman scenes didn't bother me at all. I was hoping Elizabeth would just kill her already so the boring poo poo would end.

The scene with Hans and the guy from last week running around after being shot in the eye was horrifying though. Goddamn.
So YOU'RE the people who keep watching the Transformers movies. :colbert:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm generally a fan of "lock a character in a room for an episode" type stuff - Mad Men's the suitcase, Masters of Sex' The Fight, even Breaking Bad's Fly.

But I found Elizabeth talking to the old lady to just be a little too contrived. And as much as I'm happy to see Phillip tell Gabriel to go screw, that last scene had absolutely NO buildup in the episode itself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it was a good scene but an unusual one for an episode to finish on given what we usually get.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Narcissus1916 posted:

And as much as I'm happy to see Phillip tell Gabriel to go screw, that last scene had absolutely NO buildup in the episode itself.

Well, a lot of the tension had been building up in previous episodes.

And there was that conversation regarding Martha where Philip was clearly concerned she was going to be put at risk changing Mail Robot's tapes, and Gabriel replies with 'you should trust the organization' when that's about the last thing Philip is currently likely to do.

It wasn't the usual HOLY SHI ending though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
While Gabriel was talking, all I could think about was how, no matter how chummy he acts, he’s Philip’s handler, not his friend. So it worked for me when Philip called him out.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's been clear as the season goes on that he's just as conniving and manipulative as the rest of the people the Centre has given them as handlers. I'd trust him as far as I could throw him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The way Gabe said, "We don't want to jeopardize the Martha operation," had me thinking it was a snap decision to keep from pressing Phil's attachment, and that when Martha goes it'll be a surprise .

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

The way Gabe said, "We don't want to jeopardize the Martha operation," had me thinking it was a snap decision to keep from pressing Phil's attachment, and that when Martha goes it'll be a surprise .

Again, my vote is for a 'mugging/robbery gone bad.'

And we've already seen that Philip eventually blows up at Gabriel. I don't think Gabriel is getting out of this season alive, and his death will probably undo every bit of progress Phil and Liz have made together. I just hope that they don't make it so Phil kills Gabriel and bolts with the kids, leaving Liz to ~hunt him down~ or some bullshit like that, because the closer they get to 1991, the less material they'll have to work with.

They need to give Martha an 'op' codename, though. My vote's on "Penny Dreadful." :downsrim:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 28, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
What is the approximate date the show is up to? November 83?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shadow posted:

What is the approximate date the show is up to? November 83?

I'm just interested what's going to happen when 1986 rolls around.

"Mom, can I go see Top Gun?"

"No, Henry...I don't want you going to see propa...*war movies*."

:smith: "But you made us watch those 'Alexander Nevsky' and 'Battleship Potemkin' movies!"

"THAT'S DIFFERENT!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 29, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I just realized Arkady is Eton from season 2 of The Wire.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

comes along bort posted:

I just realized Arkady is Eton from season 2 of The Wire.

ahaha Mind blown

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That's gotta be tied for harshest, most unflinchingly cold episode of the series so far. Nearly no one outside of serious films has the courage a botched hit portrayed with such horrific veracity. And that was just the warm-up.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm generally a fan of "lock a character in a room for an episode" type stuff - Mad Men's the suitcase, Masters of Sex' The Fight, even Breaking Bad's Fly.
There's no "even" to liking 'Fly', it's one of BB's very best episodes and people who don't like it are legit dummies

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 29, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Renewed!. FX probably wasn't going to cancel it, but it's nice to know for sure.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's spies all the way down.

e: Henry, you loving goon.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2015

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Henry working on his spycraft

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Henry is the son his mother always wanted........since this second-generation program was revealed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

He is pressing those buttons way too fast for that game. :colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Father-son bonding with someone else's kid.

Poor Stan.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Paige getting to the bottom of this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Oh boy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige getting to the bottom of this

Jax Teller better take some notes.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Holy poo poo they're doing it :staredog:

Adbot