Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

nendymion posted:

They way you guys hyped up the sanctions I almost expected the message to be a bit more threatening sounding. Something along the lines of "You will experience certain......Sanctions"

This particular one was fairly tame. I think the "sanctions" were just randomly deleting recipes, making it practically impossible to play. I'm not 100% sure on that, though, since it was a while ago. I do remember it was really easy to get around though, since the mod that caused the problems just checked if the directory it was installed in matched one of a group of hardcoded directories. The launcher that included the modpack allowed you to assign whatever directory you wanted, so the modder got laughed at and things went on as normal until he tried to use a DMCA takedown notice on the server the pack was hosted on. The host was informed that the DMCA was not applicable in this situation (it really wasn't), with all of the backing reasoning, and the host put the file back up. Again, the modder got laughed at and continued to be a jackass to a lot of people for a long time before fading out of the limelight.

There was an older, similar one that was much worse. There wasn't a warning screen, like this one, just something in the client logs if you went looking for it. It would slowly and randomly corrupt your world save, eventually getting so bad that you couldn't load your save, losing everything. Around the same time, another modder, for a reason I can't remember, made it so certain blocks would just randomly explode, making it annoying to play the game and impossible to use their mod.

Things like this got so out of hand that Mojang had to step in and tell them to knock it the gently caress off since they were getting reports from parents about their kid's game suddenly not working. Now it's mostly just a lot of passive aggressive bickering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Onean posted:

MinecraftModders.txt

That's somehow hilarious and depressing at the same time. How the hell do you purposely break someone's game and think you're in the right?

And the DMCA oh god :allears:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Danaru posted:

That's somehow hilarious and depressing at the same time. How the hell do you purposely break someone's game and think you're in the right?

And the DMCA oh god :allears:

Because minecraft modding seems to consist of mostly teenagers and shut-in nerds who can't really comprehend that their creation is pretty small in the grand scale of things.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

I'd just like to say that if Francis is being linked in this thread that this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

Not LP oriented in any way, but just relevant to Francis.

i hate you now

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Why is he dumping ice cold piss on himself?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Goat posted:

It's clearly gatorade. :colbert:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's the difference? :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

to get ice cold piss on his body

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

to get ice cold piss on his body

Worst golden shower video I've ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Garrand posted:

I'd just like to say that if Francis is being linked in this thread that this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

Not LP oriented in any way, but just relevant to Francis.

drat, that's a whole mix of :smith: and :unsmith:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
This is the best thing I have ever seen in my life.

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/a-youtubers-intro-to-self-employment-taxes/#_=_

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Testekill posted:

Because minecraft modding seems to consist of mostly teenagers and shut-in nerds who can't really comprehend that their creation is pretty small in the grand scale of things.

This is like 99 percent of modding. For every 17 year old who spends three years making a huge Skyrim expansion and gets a job out of it there are a hundred people who think you shouldn't be able to take away from the artistic vision they had when they gave wood blocks gravity in Minecraft by packaging it with other mods.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm pretty sure it's mountain dew

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Onean posted:

Things like this got so out of hand that Mojang had to step in and tell them to knock it the gently caress off since they were getting reports from parents about their kid's game suddenly not working. Now it's mostly just a lot of passive aggressive bickering.

Goddamn. Taken down by angry moms.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 10, 2015

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddamn. Taken down by angry moms.

MASM: Mothers Against lovely Modders

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In all honesty, getting bitchslapped by moms when they act like cunts is probably little different from their regular home lives.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Golden Goat posted:

To me it looked like chicken noodle soup for a second.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
Sorry to bring up DSP, but it looks like he finally tried to deal with the TIHYDP vids by flagging them, then have Machinima flag them on his behalf when that didn't work. So much for Fair Use.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
DSP abuses an exploit in bugged fair use mechanics.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow thanks Kojima

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Singh Long posted:

Sorry to bring up DSP, but it looks like he finally tried to deal with the TIHYDP vids by flagging them, then have Machinima flag them on his behalf when that didn't work. So much for Fair Use.

He or his fans killed Renegade Operative's Twitter a couple weeks ago. That's only worth mentioning because Ren was one of the original guys doing the This is How You Don't Play videos.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
gently caress you DSP. Don't you dare ruin Sebastapol Queen's TIHYDP Bloodborne video. :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Please help fund the most important Let's Play endeavor ever, LET'S PLAY: THE DOCUMENTARY

I mean, they have interviews with Caboose748, SlimKirby, ShadowMarioXLI, and MadameWario! That's an all-star cast! Also maybe the Runaway Guys, Rooster Teeth, and Game Grumps if they return our calls.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Eh. I think I'll just Kickstart my next Let's Play. The goal will be the amount needed for a game system, a game, a tv, a capture device and 1000 bucks extra.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let's Play Let's Play The Documentary [SSLP]

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Hopefully that gets greenlit so slowbeef can retsupurae his own interview

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Waffleman_ posted:

Please help fund the most important Let's Play endeavor ever, LET'S PLAY: THE DOCUMENTARY

I mean, they have interviews with Caboose748, SlimKirby, ShadowMarioXLI, and MadameWario! That's an all-star cast! Also maybe the Runaway Guys, Rooster Teeth, and Game Grumps if they return our calls.

There's already a documentary on Netfljx called "Please Subscribe" or something that is all about YouTube celebrities. It got really bad reviews.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo! I recognize those names! I uswd to hang out in irc with them years ago. I had only ever seen SlimKirby's videos, though

He wasn't too bad if I remember correctly, but that was forever ago.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The hell.

Let's Play Documentary Kickstarter posted:

"Risks and challenges

As far as risks and challenges are concerned, we feel there is nothing we can not overcome when properly funded."

hahahahaha. I like the logic these fuckers are using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2WDdLpkGFs

Maybe if we pledge enough, it'll bring ResearchIndicates back so he can narrate this so it can almost seem like a legit documentary.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Has there ever been a good kickstarter where the risks and challenges were "We have no risks we can do anything"?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, who gives a poo poo about people who play video games on youtube?

<he asked, in the Misc Outside-SA LP thread that he is subscribed to>

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

BMS posted:

Maybe if we pledge enough, it'll bring ResearchIndicates back so he can narrate this so it can almost seem like a legit documentary.

"We met up with strangers physically"

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BMS posted:

The hell.

They need to interview Geop and the entire segment will be geology and puns.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Suzaku posted:

They need to interview Geop and the entire segment will be geology and puns.

I honestly think that Geop talking about rocks instead of LP for an entire segment would be really fun. He also constantly needs to cut the interviewer off when they try to get it back on track.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

BMS posted:

The hell.

didnt RI name change to geop thats what i assumed this whole time anyway

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Here's a six hour LP video of two people putting together a jigsaw puzzle in real time.

You can thank me later.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

I'm going to assume you knew it was an April Fool's joke, and you're not posting this in here to say "Heh, who would do this?".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the part where a furry NPC jumped on top of the table and they were forced to interact with it.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

I'm going to assume you knew it was an April Fool's joke, and you're not posting this in here to say "Heh, who would do this?".

Well yeah, I mean "April Fools" well jokes on them, they literally did this for six hours for the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Looks like Angry Joe has decided to stop covering Nintendo games after the company announced their weird rules about posting gameplay videos.

I'm sure the multibillion dollar company won't miss a single "Angry" reviewer whose entire gimmick is trashing every game he touches.

• Locked thread