Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have the quote that basically says that if praxeology and reality conflict, reality is wrong and needs to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It sounds like the mention of praxeology is a criticism of PJ's theory in that it sounds like the "convergence events" can only be named after they've happened; that is to say, PJ's theory lacks predictive power and we're just jamming things in to justify it. It looks like PJ successfully predicted a few events wrt Gay rights before they happened, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who is actually practiced at debating political theory take a whack at that because I have to admit I'm not nearly well-read enough to speak authoritatively on the subject.

EDIT:

I also thought I'd include the an excerpt from the introduction to Essence of Decision (a book about why sometimes governments/organizations do things that seem kinda crazy) as I plan to create an effort post some time soon to discuss how these ideas might be better explanations for certain events than PJ's framework, how PJ's explanations might work better, and how they might work together. I had to transcribe this since I don't have an ebook version, so any further excerpts will take quite a while.

Graham Allison posted:

In searching for an explanation, one typically puts himself in the place of the nation, or national government, confronting a problem of foreign affairs, and tries to figure out why he might have chosen the action in question...in offering (or accepting) these explanations, we are assuming governmental behavior can be most satisfactorily understood by analogy with the purposive acts of individuals...But this simplification...obscures the persistently neglected fact of bureaucracy: the "maker" of government policy is not one calculating decisionmaker but is rather a conglomerate of large organizations and political actors.

More rigorously, the argument developed in the body of this study can be summarized in three propositions:

1. Professional analysts of foreign affairs (as well as ordinary laymen) think about problems in foreign and military policy in terms of largely implicit conceptual models that have significant consequences for the content of their thought.)
2. Most analysts explain (and predict) the behavior of national governments in terms of one basic conceptual model, here entitled Rational Actor of "Classical" Model.
3. Two alternative conceptual models, here labeled an Organizational Process Model and a Governmental (Bureaucratic) Politcs Model, provide a base for improved explanations and predictions.

...What Rational Actor analysts characterize as "acts" and "choices" are thought of instead as "outputs" of large organizations functioning according to regular patterns of behavior...An Organizational Process Model analyst frames the puzzle: "From what organizational context and pressures did this decision emerge? He then fixes the unit of analysis: organizational output. Next he focuses attention on certain concepts: the strength, standard operating procedures, and repertoires of organizations. And finally, he invokes certain patterns of inference: if organizations produced an output of this kind today, that behavior resulted from existing organizational features, procedures, and repertoires.

...The Politics Model focuses on the politics of a government. Events in foreign affairs are understood, according to this model, neither as choices nor as outputs. Rather, what happens is characterized as a resultant of various bargaining games along players in the national government... a Politics Model analyst frames the puzzle: Which results of what kinds of bargaining among which players yielded the critical decisions and actions? He then fixes the unit of analysis: political resultant. Next, he focuses attention on certain concepts: the perceptions, motivations, positions, power, and maneuvers of the players. And finally, he invokes certain patterns of inference: if a government performed an action, that action was the result of bargaining among players in games. A Politics Model analyst has "explained" this event when he has discovered who did what to whom that yielded the action in question. Predictions are generated by identifying the game in which an issue will arise, the relevant players, and their relative power and skill.

A central metaphor illuminates the differences among these models. Foreign policy has often been compared to moves and sequences of moves in the game of chess. Imagine a chess game in which the observer could see only a screen upon which moves in the game were projected, with no information about how the pieces came to be moved. Initially most observers would asume - as the Rational Actor model does - that an individual chess player was moving the pieces with reference to plans and tactics toward the goal of winning the game. But a pattern of moves can be imagined that would lead some observrs, after watching several games, to consider an Organizational Process Model assumption: the chess player might not be a single individual but rather a loose alliance of semi-independent organizations, each of which moved its set of pieces according to standard operating procedures...the pattern of play might suggest to an observer a Politics Model assumption: a number of distinct players, with distinct objectives but shared power over the pieces, could be determining the moves as the resultant of collegial bargaining. For example, the black rook's move might contribute to the loss of a black knight with no comparable gains for the black team, but with the black rook becoming the principal guardian of the palace on that side of the board.

In this case I feel like you can substitute Allison's use of "government" with "group."

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 1, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eco was talking about Fascism in Europe whereas PJ is specifically talking about a very American movement. Cross wrapped in a flag, silent majority, yada-yada. While I think this whole structure needs a lot of work, right now the whole thing is rather unfocused. I'm not a political scientist but I used to be an academic and if I were on PJ's committee, I'd suggest that the contrast between the inner and outer narrative and how it is used to enforce conformity would be a novel angle. It's a neat take on how things like dog-whistles as well as Ford v Chevy operate in the political theater.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was actually drawing a parallel between Austrian economics and fascism, with praxeology being the ideological foundation for the Austrian School, said form of economics being favored by libertarians and the far right. I would explain in greater detail but it is hard to bring up references while phone posting.

E: Austrian and Chicago economists have often been friendly with or even participated in para-fascist regimes (e.g. Pinochet's Chile).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 1, 2015

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I got to thinking this afternoon: How related is the inner/outer narrative split to the notion of the "Kinsley gaffe"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_gaffe#Kinsley_gaffe

quote:

A Kinsley gaffe occurs when a political gaffe reveals some truth that a politician did not intend to admit. The term comes from journalist Michael Kinsley, who said, "A gaffe is when a politician tells the truth – some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

I was actually drawing a parallel between Austrian economics and fascism, with praxeology being the ideological foundation for the Austrian School, said form of economics being favored by libertarians and the far right. I would explain in greater detail but it is hard to bring up references while phone posting.

E: Austrian and Chicago economists have often been friendly with or even participated in para-fascist regimes (e.g. Pinochet's Chile).

Or Misses participation in the fascist Dolfuss regime and praising of fascism.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
You know, every time I start wondering if these guys really are going to completely lose it after the June gay marriage ruling, the purestrain crazy boils right back to the surface and answers "Yes, and it's going to be hilarious/awesome/terrifying":

Three Olives posted:

Kristallnacht, yes, a bigoted pizza place closing for the night because of some phone calls and mean Yelp comments after they said they wouldn't do business with gays is the same thing as homes businesses being destroyed, hundreds of Jews being murdered and tens of thousands drug to concentration camps. :rolleyes:
Thanks for the warnings of what's to come Prester John, as a result I have now settled thoroughly in the camp of "Bring it on motherfuckers, it's about goddamn time you assholes get to experience what a complete and total loss feels like.":getin:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

"Englebert Dolfuss" is an inherently funny name.

The Koch brothers ideology thread linked to a couple pages back brings up praxeology and RationalWiki discusses it a bit further, and it to me resembles an intellectual equivalent to the cult of action--rash, a priori reasoning from a set of revealed truths (axioms), deliberately discounting empiricism and self-reflection. You can see both the typical cult of action and praxeology in action in the behavior and statements of Bush Administration officials--Karl Rove's infamous "reality based community" quote, Bush proclaiming himself "The Decider", as if hastily making snap judgements and leaping to conclusions, and refusing to admit mistakes when things don't turn out as well as you'd hoped, were strengths rather than weaknesses.

Someone linked to a thread, I think started by PJ about ACE somewhere back in this thread but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone else know where this thread is? Or maybe I'm misremembering and no such thread exists?

Bryan Fischer posted:

:psyduck:

Where do I sign up to join the Gaystapo? I want my pink armband and jackboots.

ACHTUNG! BUTTSECHS!

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 2, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Woolie Wool posted:

Someone linked to a thread, I think started by PJ about ACE somewhere back in this thread but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone else know where this thread is? Or maybe I'm misremembering and no such thread exists?
Here you go:

fade5 posted:

This reminds me, if any of the thread readers haven't read it already, all of that content is from the "Accelerated Christian Education" school cult Prester John was raised in, and Prester John gave a very thorough and depressing view of the curriculum and everyday life in an ACE school cult, which is better described as "literal hell on earth":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659026

As a warning, after reading though that thread you may come out feeling very depressed, very angry, or both. Like seriously, ACE is so loving bad that if I was given the choice of raising a child/being raised as a child in an ACE curriculum or in a minority Christian community in Iraq, I'd probably choose Iraq, even with all the anti-Christian discrimination, car bombs, and threats of ISIL beheadings I'd face. ACE is that loving bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That kristallnacht bullshit is pretty rich coming from folks who insist the real Germany's America's heart beats in Bavaria the rural South.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've heard Bavaria basically is Germany's Deep South, and if Austria were part of Germany it would be the really crazy parts of Texas.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

quote:

kristallnacht

If PJ's theories were true, the right would desperately adore an actual kristallnacht. Too bad I haven't heard tell of a single brick being thrown through a bigoted window.

I wasn't going to sign up for the gaystapo, but then I saw the Hugo Boss summer catalog.

:gay:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just imagine how awesome you'll feel in that snappy gray overcoat when you have the straight ladies on their knees, forced to accept lesbian supremacy.

E: I bet some authoritarians would take these jokes literally.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Woolie Wool posted:

I've heard Bavaria basically is Germany's Deep South, and if Austria were part of Germany it would be the really crazy parts of Texas.

There's more similarity than just that between the Conservative revolutionaries in the US and those of interwar Germany. The idealistic outer narrative used as a shield for the Authoritarian inner narrative really made me think of how the ConRev movement in Germany gave birth to, and later got taken out back and shot by, the Nazis.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Woolie Wool posted:

Just imagine how awesome you'll feel in that snappy gray overcoat when you have the straight ladies on their knees, forced to accept lesbian supremacy.

E: I bet some authoritarians would take these jokes literally.

I kissed a girl and I liked it. :hellyeah:

I'm loving how this bill is being walked back in shame. It's still pretty lovely since it's just walked back to include more protections for customers but none for employees, but the loonies don't understand nuance so they'll be gnashing their teeth at how they were denied glorious victory.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Xibanya posted:

I kissed a girl and I liked it. :hellyeah:

I'm loving how this bill is being walked back in shame. It's still pretty lovely since it's just walked back to include more protections for customers but none for employees, but the loonies don't understand nuance so they'll be gnashing their teeth at how they were denied glorious victory.

Well, to play devil's advocate, even under the federal RFRA employees are pretty drat screwed if their boss asserts religious whatever as an excuse to gently caress with them. See: Hobby Lobby

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Reading the ACE thread. Holy poo poo.

I still want to hear about what happens to kids who are too stubborn and aggressive for the indoctrination to take and continuously resist. They exist, and they're the "stubborn and rebellious sons" the Bible tells you to murder.

Relating to this post from the ACE thread:

quote:

You know how if you train a dog when they're a puppy they'll still obey you when they're 500% the size they used to be because part of them still thinks they're a puppy? That happens to humans to a certain extent too.

Sometimes a dog that is disciplined with physical abuse will realize its own strength when it grows up and maul or even kill its owner. This also happens with humans. I don't care how big you are, an adolescent boy attacking with murderous rage is more than capable of seriously injuring you. Even if they don't become violent, such stubborn people could develop a sense of martyrdom and further abuse will only strengthen it. And in modern societies it's rather hard to get away with killing a child pour encourager les autres like ancient societies did.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 2, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Why do you think middle America was so terrified of school shooters after Columbine?

Most kids like that probably just learn to keep their heads down until they can leave. Or act out in culturally prescribed ways- self-cutting, etc. Some vanish into education programs that make ACE look like a hippy preschool, though.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Xibanya posted:

I also recently read an article that pointed out that while autism diagnoses are split roughly 50/50 between the sexes, men are diagnosed with Asperger's (or more correctly, high functioning autism) at a rate four times higher than women. The article went on to explain that those women who are diagnosed are often only diagnosed as adults, usually when they hit a wall in their professional career. The article went on to cite some individual examples and some research, and it appears that many women with asperger's are never diagnosed because our society forces women to manifest signs of empathy. So many women with asperger's, especially those who may have above-average intelligence, "learn empathy" by rote - that is to say, they study a person's face for clues to their mental state due to intentionally making it a habit rather than by instinct (to the point that for some, it becomes so rote that an outside observer would not be able to tell they were "weird" in some way.) I also read a separate article that cited a study that showed that in America, the average woman has more empathy than the average man (a difference presumed to be due to cultural rather than biological difference).

This is extremely interesting, do you have links? Google results seem to be pretty generic.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

FourLeaf posted:

This is extremely interesting, do you have links? Google results seem to be pretty generic.

Drat I thought it was the daily beast but I can't find it again either. Part of the article involved criticism of Simon Baron-Cohen's theory that autism was caused by overexposure of testosterone in the womb (the idea being that autism is the "extreme male brain") and discussed that autism is poorly understood in women for the same reason that heart attacks are - men are assumed to be the default and women are inferior weirdos so nobody bothers to study them. If you google Baron-Cohen autism criticism you may find something relevant. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xibanya posted:

Drat I thought it was the daily beast but I can't find it again either. Part of the article involved criticism of Simon Baron-Cohen's theory that autism was caused by overexposure of testosterone in the womb (the idea being that autism is the "extreme male brain") and discussed that autism is poorly understood in women for the same reason that heart attacks are - men are assumed to be the default and women are inferior weirdos so nobody bothers to study them. If you google Baron-Cohen autism criticism you may find something relevant. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment!

I see Simon Baron-Cohen and for a split instant, every time, I imagine Ali G laying down some 'ard troof about the 'spergs.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

Why do you think middle America was so terrified of school shooters after Columbine?

Most kids like that probably just learn to keep their heads down until they can leave. Or act out in culturally prescribed ways- self-cutting, etc. Some vanish into education programs that make ACE look like a hippy preschool, though.

Are you referring to the military school torture gulags? I think WWASPS is the most infamous one. Still my confidence (call it faith even :v:) in the human spirit makes me think that there are a few kids with so much willpower that they'd never submit. I mean, there were people who rebelled openly against regimes that would literally kill you for doing so, with full knowledge of the consequences they would face.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 2, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

FAUXTON posted:

I see Simon Baron-Cohen and for a split instant, every time, I imagine Ali G laying down some 'ard troof about the 'spergs.

Apparently he and Sacha are cousins.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xibanya posted:

Apparently he and Sacha are cousins.

Nah, they're not.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

FAUXTON posted:

Nah, they're not.

Wrong

http://scienceblogs.com/purepedantry/2006/11/07/science-gossip-did-you-know-bo/

E:
And just to drive it home,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/simon-baroncohen-ali-gs-smarter-cousin-and-britains-leading-expert-on-autism-1688427.html

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

If you want to know about authoritarian parents and Columbine, read She Said Yes, the biography of Cassie Burnell written by her parents. It repeats the untrue story that she was killed for professing religious belief, but that's at the end. Most of the book is about her parents reading normal adolescent attempts at identity formation as demonic possession. Like, the kid stayed out late and fought with her parents and tried to assert autonomy like any kid, and the parents responded by trying to break her will, pulling her out of school and keeping her away from all her friends and praying for hours every day telling her she was inhabited by a literal evil spirit. And they did it. They got her to cut herself off from all her friends and submit to their will, and they rewarded her by letting her back into school just in time to be murdered. Plus, one effect of this demonic possession was that it made her gay, but prayer fixed it all by driving the demon away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Nah, they're not.

He writes about it in Empathy Degree Zero. There's a Baron-Cohen in the same family who is a famous composer as well.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Woolie Wool posted:

Are you referring to the military school torture gulags? I think WWASPS is the most infamous one. Still my confidence (call it faith even :v:) in the human spirit makes me think that there are a few kids with so much willpower that they'd never submit. I mean, there were people who rebelled openly against regimes that would literally kill you for doing so, with full knowledge of the consequences they would face.

Here's where I feel ADHD is a strength. Per books like "what does everyone else know that I don't?" And "you mean I'm not lazy, stupid, or crazy?" (I have physical copies of those if anyone needs citations) people with ADHD often have poor social skills - not because they have mindblindness (as in autism) but because they have moments where they totally blank out into their own thoughts, leading to basically "memory gaps," not memories that were lost, but things that happened around the person that they don't remember because they weren't paying attention (no memory was ever written to begin with). This can accumulate over time leading to a child who isn't aware of social norms (I myself had social skills therapy for a few years as a kid. Nobody can tell now that I used to be a crazy jungle child. Weirdly enough my mom doesn't believe I have ADHD, when I came to her as an adult with my diagnosis she couldn't believe it because she thinks ADHD is a made up disorder for selling drugs to kids who don't need them. She had thought I'd been "cured" of the worst symptoms of autism just from two years of group therapy despite the fact that nothing on earth could cure my cousin. Also I had no idea until that moment that she had always thought I had high-functioning autism even though I ended up being awesome and popular as I got older. Don't you think that's something you should tell a kid?) I believe that this also means that ADHD people are positioned to be uniquely resistant to indoctrination. I remember feeling weird in Sunday school at the age of about 5 - even then I just didn't "get" it like all the other kids. My boyfriend comes from a strict conservative family. He's the only one who isn't that way and he's the only one with ADHD. I don't think it's a coincidence.

It gives me hope. Even if Authoritarians win, there will always be ADHD kids to gank up the works.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 2, 2015

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Oh god thank you for posting this. Every time I've tried to develop anything like this I've had to stop before it drove me insane. Or to suicide.

The parents families - both of them - have a tradition of having one male child groomed to stay at home to 'take care' of them. They do this by doing everything they can to ensure that child never gets anywhere in anything that might cause them to leave home. Academics, work, relationships, sports, anything at all. Both parents were very fond of 'accidents' and of making it very difficult to figure out what the punishment was for (they'd never tell), or even if it was a punishment. Also dad worked in allied health and one of the relitives that was in on everything was a psychologist.

They were very through and knew exactly when to time things for maximum effect.

TwoQuestions posted:

One thing I realized while driving home is PJ's theory about Authoritarians somewhat resembles Japan's social structure. One of my old instructor's favourite phrases to describe the difference between the American and Japanese social environment is "vertical society". In the US, we're all (supposedly) equal before the law, and nobody outranks anyone else, and we'd use the same language to speak to President Obama as we would to any other person.

In Japan, everyone understands where they stand among their friends and coworkers, as in Jeff is better than Joe because he's been at the Company longer, and Joe is better than Kevin because he's older. This is even enforced down to the linguistic level, as you'd use different language to talk to someone who outranks you vs someone you outrank, and more importantly you'd use very different language to speak to your in-group than you would an out-group.

Japan's social structure can't be Authoritarian because everyone knows where they stand and no one pretends to equality - the Inner and Outer Narratives can be assumed to be identical and there is no Grand Narrative.

A social structure that would resemble PJ's Authoritarianism somewhat is one that says we're all equal, we'd treat everyone the same way and that thug deserved what he got. The Grand is idealised, the Outer is convenient and the Inner is hidden.

That doesn't fit the Narrative though.

McAlister posted:

Would you say that the severity of the physical punishment was a key ingredient to breaking you? You seem to alternate between implying that your mental issues were caused by the physical/mental abuse and implying that they were there regardless but were worsened by the abuse.

And having no personal experience with physical abuse on that scale I can't determine whether to consider it a difference of degree or a difference of kind. Does it make the emotional abuse dynamic worse or does it transform it into an entirely new dynamic?

Difference of kind, definitely. The body remembers. Brainwashing doesn't cause a straight male to react to a woman very deliberately getting up in a manner that has her spread eagled while going commando right in front of him with paralysing mindless terror.

Woolie Wool posted:

Reading the ACE thread. Holy poo poo.

I still want to hear about what happens to kids who are too stubborn and aggressive for the indoctrination to take and continuously resist. They exist, and they're the "stubborn and rebellious sons" the Bible tells you to murder.

Sometimes a dog that is disciplined with physical abuse will realize its own strength when it grows up and maul or even kill its owner. This also happens with humans. I don't care how big you are, an adolescent boy attacking with murderous rage is more than capable of seriously injuring you. Even if they don't become violent, such stubborn people could develop a sense of martyrdom and further abuse will only strengthen it. And in modern societies it's rather hard to get away with killing a child pour encourager les autres like ancient societies did.

That's why you starve them until they don't have the energy to resist. Or they have accidents. It's very unfortunate and everyone is very sorry they're gone but it's not the parent's fault so nothing happens.

I wanted to post some more stuff but this is not fun. For a name I was thinking Radical Darwinist Crusaders. It mirrors the three parts of Narrative nicely and is something a lot of them would probably even like. It's a bit too long though. If you haven't already you might want to read up on Attachment Theory, Harry Harlow and his Pit Of Despair and Alice Miller on how to deliberately turn children into Authoritarians. Possibly toss in James Prescott and some stuff on the social habits of chimpanzees and bonobos as well.

quote:

Like I said earlier in the thread, I have been staring into the abyss my entire life.

I have never had anything more than brief glimpses out of it. I never will either. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that maybe I can get into a position to be able to do anything at all for anyone at all. The moment that hope goes so do I.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

For some reason I read that as siblings rather than cousins. It's me, I'm the wanker.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks PJ for a really interesting interesting thread. I hope someone has the energy to synthesize everything into more concise form at the end.

Ocrassus posted:

Which brings me onto my second point. Members of these Authoritarian groups must, in some sense, believe their enemies are similar to them. By that I mean, rather than appreciate liberals for their talks of equality and egalitarianism, what they instead believe they are seeing is the outer narrative that you have described. There is a almost a belief that nobody could wholeheartedly embrace the principles of the enemy after rational thought, and instead there is some other inner narrative there too. This is usually characterised as jealousy, satanism (your anti Christ theory) or, perhaps most intriguingly, power.

I want to bring that last point aside briefly because I think power is interesting. Buried in most any political ideology is a prescriptive ought about how the world should be. That goes for most anyone. But I feel this applies especially to Authoritarians because they want to use the most direct tools of compulsion to enforce their will. What I think Authoritarians fear is that others will use those same means against them. They are genuinely terrified of the homosexual Mafia forcing them to suck dick, or death panels. They fear that any concessions will lead to their complete and utter subjugation.

Ocrassus, thanks for your post, it reminds me of my own thoughts about the current leadership in Russia: They want Russians to believe that everyone thinks the same way that they do, and they cynically expect everyone else to have hidden agendas / to want to invade Russia. And if outside actors don't conform to their expectations, they have to be made to do so, either through inward propaganda or outward measures of threat, destabilization and disinformation. In general, I think people often want to justify their own actions by either adopting the narrative that "this is what everyone else does" or " I can do these things because I'm special", be that then acts of corruption or violence or whatever. To justify bad deeds you must make yourself believe that you live in a bad world. Then you can do what you do either in opposition to it, or by cynically conforming to the perceived norm. But to do that, you must encourage others to behave according to your narratives.

It also (again) reminded me of the video of the ex-klan leader and his experiences with reverend Wade Watts already posted earlier in the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK4LZMcXgAY

First of all, this guy was expecting to meet someone with the same mindset as he himself had: Someone aggressive, antagonistic, cartoonish, an enemy to fight. But the reverend denied him this and subverted his expectations over and over again. The Klan tried to provoke the reverend to behave in the way they expected him to in accordance with their own inner (and outer, as it were) narrative, but he refused to provide them with the confrontation that they needed to prove that their world view was right. In fact he managed to humanize himself using humor, defusing every situation. You can't be angry and laugh at the same time.

Which brings me to this question: What role does humor play for Authoritarians? Authority figures cannot be laughed at, because this takes them down, so I guess humor must be severely regulated? I started thinking about Eco's "The Name of the Rose", where humor was a threat to the established system, and a text describing how Jesus laughed had to be kept hidden from impressionable minds in the monastery. What's your take on humor, PJ, based on your experiences?

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 2, 2015

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In my experience, the" humor" mostly comes from laughing at the foolishness of those who don't obey authority. I've heard so many pastor jokes that are basically "Can you believe the arrogance of this guy, thinking he knows better than God! This poo poo is crazy!"

And everyone chuckles.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Oh precious katana posted:

Which brings me to this question: What role does humor play for Authoritarians? Authority figures cannot be laughed at, because this takes them down, so I guess humor must be severely regulated? I started thinking about Eco's "The Name of the Rose", where humor was a threat to the established system, and a text describing how Jesus laughed had to be kept hidden from impressionable minds in the monastery. What's your take on humor, PJ, based on your experiences?

I know you asked P.J. about this, but I do remember reading about how Khomeni and (at least some) of his ilk were not impressed with humour or laughter. Can't recall the exact quote, though.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

FabioClone posted:

In my experience, the" humor" mostly comes from laughing at the foolishness of those who don't obey authority. I've heard so many pastor jokes that are basically "Can you believe the arrogance of this guy, thinking he knows better than God! This poo poo is crazy!"

And everyone chuckles.

Maybe an Authoritarian can only laugh downwards, never upwards or at themselves?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Oh precious katana posted:

Maybe an Authoritarian can only laugh downwards, never upwards or at themselves?

Literally anyone can rationalise themselves as being 'below' someone else for the purposes of comedy. In this case, they see themselves as below God, and non-Authoritarians as putting themselves above God. Therefore, they are laughing 'up' at a group they perceive as self-serving, hubristic and arrogant.

Not being able to laugh at themselves is still rather telling though.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Sure they can laugh at themselves. Look at Jeff Foxworthy's "you might be a redneck" act. Rednecks love it.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Rednecks aren't necessarily Authoritarian. It seems like the knowing irony that's part of being able to laugh at yourself would interfere with the Inner Narrative.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Really, I was just posing a question. Can authoritarians laugh at themselves? Can humor be used to break through the outer narrative? I'm not saying they can or they can't laugh at themselves, I was just hoping that PJ or someone else could bring some insight on the issue.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Peztopiary posted:

Rednecks aren't necessarily Authoritarian. It seems like the knowing irony that's part of being able to laugh at yourself would interfere with the Inner Narrative.

Well a lot of people would find it hard to laugh at what they find most dear, including myself. If someone started cracking jokes about how women who speak their minds should get raped (believe it or not, this is a thing that happens), I wouldn't be able to "just take a joke," but on the other hand if someone was cracking jokes about how short-sighted and goofy IT people are, I'd laugh even if some of the jokes applied to me personally. I don't think it's useful to go through a sort of "no true scotsman" with regard to something as difficult to pin down as "able to laugh at self". I think Authoritarians are perfectly capable of laughing at themselves depending on the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also they could be laughing at another shielding narrative. Toothless shine runners laughing about backwoods dentistry or whatever to deflect attention from their belief in themselves as revolutionary smugglers fighting a crooked state or to relate to outsiders (read: everyone else).

The more I think about that narrative x-chotomy, the more American Psycho comes to mind as an example of a failing narrative shield.

• Locked thread