Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So Oliver just randomly ran into Shadow's twin sister on the crowded streets of China?

That is some daytime soap opera bullshit. This season has really not been the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrianWilly posted:

There was nothing explicitly, jarringly wrong about this episode, but for some reason I just find myself really struggling to be hyped about this show right now. I just keep telling myself, "Look, you survived Agents of SHIELD's first season, you can survive anything," but it only helps so much.

This season in general is nowhere near as compelling as the first two.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

qbert posted:

So Oliver just randomly ran into Shadow's twin sister on the crowded streets of China?

That is some daytime soap opera bullshit. This season has really not been the best.
The flashback with twin sister May was kinda shaky and really felt like it only existed to reinforce "the truth is powerful" theme they were going for. Otherwise, yeah, there wasn't really much that happened in the flashback at all.

raditts posted:

This season in general is nowhere near as compelling as the first two.
I feel like S3 is being paced about the same as S1, except I remember S1 did not devote every single episode to flashbacks and used them when appropriate. They should've cut down the number of flashbacks this season since they rarely helped to really reinforce the plot/themes of the present plot line. S2 was just lucky that everything fit together to so well or they had a lot of flashback material to work with that it occasionally didn't matter even if it didn't. Year 3 in Hong Kong was not one of those.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

qbert posted:

Especially since The Flash companion show has been killing it with each and every episode. Arrow needs to step up its game.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

BrianWilly posted:

There was nothing explicitly, jarringly wrong about this episode, but for some reason I just find myself really struggling to be hyped about this show right now.

I feel the same way. Even back in season one the show had a certain gravitas which has just been thrown out the window this season. This Lance vs. Oliver face off with Roy sacrificing himself would have meant a lot more with the relationships the characters shared last season. Oliver has had very little to do with Lance this season outside of keeping quiet about Sara's death, and he is more of Roy's boss than mentor at this point. The writers have put themselves in a corner by marginalizing everyone outside of Oliver and Laurel, while also showing that Oliver is never really going to be in true danger.

I don't really see where the hype will come from going forward. Someone is going to die? Aside from the shock value, there is going to be little else coming from killing off a side character. Oliver joins the league? Sure he will take off for a few weeks, then return to a cry-talking Felicity and return to the status quo. The flashbacks aren't going anywhere either. Season one brought us vigilante training, the budding friendship with Slade and the showdown with Fyers. In season two we learned about Sara and saw the breakdown in the Oliver-Slade relationship which drove the season long arc. This season all we got is some Waller stuff which we know doesn't progress her character much, since she is still pulling the same crap today. I guess we are going to find out how Maseo's son dies, but why should we care about the son of a minor character who was only just introduced this season?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I really hope the Russian mob flashbacks aren't as lovely and boring and pointless as the Hong Kong flashbacks.

It'll be fun to see that Russia is the exact same as Hong Kong except with a blue filter instead of a yellow one and guys in tracksuits instead of produce stands.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If they don't show at least one slav squat in the Russia flashbacks I will quit this show cold turkey.

E: It has to be at least one slav squat per episode.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 2, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

boom boom boom posted:

It'll be fun to see that Russia is the exact same as Hong Kong except with a blue filter instead of a yellow one and guys in tracksuits instead of produce stands.
Well I am unironically looking forward to this at least, if nothing else.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

aw I wanted Lance to flip out start jumping around pointing at Roy going "NO, NO, NO, I know you're the friggin red guy!" at the end.

Then Diggle would appear in the distance dressed as Roy and say "Is he, detective?"

Then he'd say "No no no you're the black guy!"

Then Laurel would show up in blackface with her boobs taped down "You think we all look the same, don't you"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Son of a bitch my cable went out just for CW about five minutes ago. :negative:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just catching up, Laurel jumping off the loving building with no hope but Oliver grabbing her is pretty impressive.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The flashback and Ray b-plot were underwhelming (and it's kind of baffling that Lance wouldn't have arrested Felicity at this point on top of that), but the meat of the episode was gold.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everything with Lance in it was excellent, also am I crazy or was that a different actress for Felicity's mom?

Ugh this season. Well you win some and lose some. Hopefully season 4 is better. I'll still keep watching because it has it's high points.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qbert posted:

Hong Kong isn't China. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Writer A: "Man, how do we write Oliver out of this one?"
Offscreen: "Yo! I got another truckload of Spartacus actors for the CW sets!"
Writer B: "I've got an idea."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm just going to consider the Hong Kong I ran into her sister the low point of the show, despite I know the actress was brought back more out of the producers just wanting to have her back or something because their good people.

Ugh it's soooooooo terribad.

At least they asked where Roy was this episode.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Writer A: "Man, how do we write Oliver out of this one?"
Offscreen: "Yo! I got another truckload of Spartacus actors for the CW sets!"
Writer B: "I've got an idea."

The worst part is I've been waiting for Oliver to go public since season 2 and to officially announce that the city is under his protection. I expected that was how he'd rehabilitate his season 1 image and I thought that's how he'd handle his return from near death. I got teased again when he turned himself in tonight.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This season it has not been that great with the highlight being Ras killing the main character and kicking him off a cliff, I dunno why but it's just been blah.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The season just feels like there's too much or not enough going on. It feels like a victim of its own pacing since the whole Brick plot could've been better tied into the Ra's plot, but instead it's like an entirely new season. The season just hasn't spent enough time letting the characters breath some fresh air outside of the overarching plot and everything is being pushed along whether its a good idea or not.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Just catching up, Laurel jumping off the loving building with no hope but Oliver grabbing her is pretty impressive.

That made me groan pretty loud. For some reason I just do not like Laurel as The Black Canary. The nightstick is just stupid compared to Sarah's staff. That and her pose with the staff behind her back just seemed more...competent? I dunno.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So gonna assume that Ray's nano machines that shrink blood clots have a side effect of causing Ray himself to shrink.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And the witness is the real perpetrator.

Not to mention that there was a whole army of people with bows and fighting alongside the police last season, so that raises a shitton of reasonable doubt into the mix.

"What proof do you have that League of Assassins exist?"
"Hundreds of people who saw them shooting arrows at Mirakuru enhanced crooks less than a year ago. Including the chief of police, several dozen cops, and at least one ADA."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
In that trailer is Oliver controlling rays suit from some interface?"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I agree with everyone that this season has been kind of poo poo. It's pretty obvious that all the backstage attention is on brand new baby Flash.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated every single scene of this episode. Every plot development, character beat and line of dialogue was unreasonably dumb and pointless. I've seen more offensively bad television, but I really can't think of a single positive thing to say about it.

Aphrodite posted:

Man this doctor is a bad actor.
This but also...Shado used to be able to act, right? :smith:

By the way, what was the second name Lance listed off as Oliver failing to save people? Sounded like "Tommy, [Hilton?], your mother, my daughter."

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Aphrodite posted:

Man this doctor is a bad actor.

I think it's the same doctor that treated the Arrow last season when he blew out his knee jumping off roofs.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This episode just seemed exceedingly dumb to me.

Couldn't Ray have just injected himself with the nano's to help keep Felicity out of trouble? Or better yet, couldn't Ray just have left the hospital and go home and do it himself?

I thought Felicity was over Oliver? Suddenly she's back to "instead of being with this awesome guy, let me go back to this abusive guy."

If Oliver didn't turn himself in, what evidence does Lance have that he's the Arrow? The word of a group of assassins who dress like the killer that they are looking for? The only outcomes I can see from that trial is Lance being fired from the force for abuse of power, looked at as being crazy, or going down himself for being an accessory to the murders that he's trying to arrest Oliver for.

The whole situation is also funny because, well, Oliver is a murderer, he just didn't murder these people, but he did murder those people.

I think the awesomeness of The Flash is making me more critical of The Arrow. :smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hcreight posted:

The flashback and Ray b-plot were underwhelming (and it's kind of baffling that Lance wouldn't have arrested Felicity at this point on top of that), but the meat of the episode was gold.

He has no proof Felicity's involved that doesn't incriminate himself.

Hollismason posted:

I'm just going to consider the Hong Kong I ran into her sister the low point of the show, despite I know the actress was brought back more out of the producers just wanting to have her back or something because their good people.

I think there's an actual reason, but it's from leaked stuff so I don't want to spoil anything.

Whizbang posted:

I agree with everyone that this season has been kind of poo poo. It's pretty obvious that all the backstage attention is on brand new baby Flash.

Eh, not really. The Flash relies heavily on setpieces. The actual writing's kind of weak, so you can't even say that's where it all went.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Aphrodite posted:

I think there's an actual reason, but it's from leaked stuff so I don't want to spoil anything.

Stick it in spoiler tags.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

The worst part is I've been waiting for Oliver to go public since season 2 and to officially announce that the city is under his protection. I expected that was how he'd rehabilitate his season 1 image and I thought that's how he'd handle his return from near death. I got teased again when he turned himself in tonight.

Apart from outing Oliver queen as the Arrow he sort of did this when he got back from being ressurected after defeating Brick, but then everything just went back to how they have been this season with the Arrow not really doing much city protecting.

I think this sort of sums up why I am not liking this season as much - there has really not been much Arrow being the protector of the city stuff, it's all been outside of the city or dealing with stuff that is only a threat to the Arrow gang (plus the Hong Kong stuff being mostly pointless).
I'm not ready to give up on the show yet, but I hope they have some outstanding way of wrapping up the season or that they have been listening to the feedback (assuming here is typical) and step it up next year.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 2, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

Stick it in spoiler tags.

The finale along with The Flash is looking to be an alternate universe. I think there's a good chance they're establishing the twin sister now so that she gets kidnapped along with the father in that universe and not Shado.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

imperialparadox posted:

This episode just seemed exceedingly dumb to me.

Couldn't Ray have just injected himself with the nano's to help keep Felicity out of trouble? Or better yet, couldn't Ray just have left the hospital and go home and do it himself?

I thought Felicity was over Oliver? Suddenly she's back to "instead of being with this awesome guy, let me go back to this abusive guy."

If Oliver didn't turn himself in, what evidence does Lance have that he's the Arrow? The word of a group of assassins who dress like the killer that they are looking for? The only outcomes I can see from that trial is Lance being fired from the force for abuse of power, looked at as being crazy, or going down himself for being an accessory to the murders that he's trying to arrest Oliver for.

The whole situation is also funny because, well, Oliver is a murderer, he just didn't murder these people, but he did murder those people.

I think the awesomeness of The Flash is making me more critical of The Arrow. :smith:

Ray was checked in the hospital for a clot that could have freaking killed him. Doctors aren't going to release him.

It's easy for someone to say I'm done and no longer am in love with you, but still have lingering feelings for said person to the point where you are no longer sure what you want, I've seen that happen in real life. So someone as awkward as Felicity it doesn't surprise me.

The proof that he had doesn't really matter. He knew it was true and created a situation where Oliver p much had to turn himself in just by throwing numbers at it. A place in that much fear doesn't really care about proper procedure. He might take the L eventually in the court but him being able to mobilize every one makes sense. And right now the entire point is he's not thinking rationally.

Oliver has never said he's not a murderer. He says he's not one anymore. (Foot Clan don't count.)

This season to me anyway isn't as good as S2 but is still about on par with S1. The only thing S1 did better was the fact that they kept layering mystery after mystery which kept you interested even when the writing was not that good

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

teagone posted:

Especially since The Flash companion show has been killing it with each and every episode. Arrow needs to step up its game.

Moving plot incredibly quickly right out of the gate means you are prone to running out of steam very quickly and have to resort in worse and worse plots. Happened to Sleepy Hollow, Scandal and Revenge before. Let's look how well in shape The Flash is in its third season, when they run out of good stuff and resort in more and more soapy drama and crying women (hate what they've done with Felicity - who started out as a fun, somewhat sarcastic character and is now reduced to crying in basically every non-bed scene she's in).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hollismason posted:

It was hilarious, because it wouldn't be out of character for Laurel to just jump off the building because Ollie and Roy did, and then mid-fall being like "wait, you guys have ropes??? gently caress"

Rocksicles posted:

Hong Kong isn't China. :colbert:

Yes it is, since 1997. :c00lbert:

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 2, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Autonomous region, with its own flag. controlled by China. Like Tibet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

raditts posted:

It was hilarious, because it wouldn't be out of character for Laurel the writers to just have her jump off the building because Ollie and Roy did, and then mid-fall being like "wait, those guys have ropes??? gently caress now we need to add a CG scene showing how she survives"

This was how I saw that scene as it happened.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

My guess is that Flash is doing all of their big stuff right out of the gate because they're counting on DC executives to pull the plug on the show once the Flash movie enters the marketing phase, which seems very likely considering that Berlanti is heading the film project. Arrow doesn't have that problem mainly because DC hasn't given much of a poo poo about the series except when they want to pull characters off the show because "brand dilution" (this is still the most ironic thing they can do, seeing how many loving Batman/Superman movies we've gotten in the last 20 years).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Scyantific posted:

My guess is that Flash is doing all of their big stuff right out of the gate because they're counting on DC executives to pull the plug on the show once the Flash movie enters the marketing phase, which seems very likely considering that Berlanti is heading the film project. Arrow doesn't have that problem mainly because DC hasn't given much of a poo poo about the series except when they want to pull characters off the show because "brand dilution" (this is still the most ironic thing they can do, seeing how many loving Batman/Superman movies we've gotten in the last 20 years).

No, see, if there's anything that hurts a brand, it's a successful show creating fans of a character that you want to make popular! Imagine how bad off they would be if, by the time they wanted to do the Suicide Squad movie, the Arrow TV show had created hundreds of thousands or even millions of die-hard fans of the franchise! They'd basically be completely hosed.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Get wreck'd Lance. Worse detective than a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Nephthys posted:

Get wreck'd Lance. Worse detective than a baby.

The coolest of dudes.

• Locked thread