Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
6 (2*3)tubes each side. Myoko and up expand them to 2*4.

Also, someone said they get 5 less guns from tier 8 on: That's because the upgrade on the Mogami (and all the cruisers after it) switch the turrets from tripple 6-inchers into twin 8-inchers.
It's actually a bit of a sidegrade on the Mogami as you lose weight of fire and DPM in return for more damage per shell (and a higher chance to score penetrations against BBs and american cruisers), higher shell velocity and faster turret turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Magni posted:

It depends on how much you trust your skill at leading enemy ships. Full broadside can be advantageous at long range because it gives your target less warning time to take evasive action.
For whatever reason sequential fire fucks me up super hard and I can never hit anything when I try to do it so I always just for for the full salvo fire. I literally don't understand why this is. :iiam:

Vengarr posted:

If you take an S-shaped route you can fire off both tubes, dumping 16 torpedoes into the water. Then thrill as none of them hit because they get spotted 7km away.
Alternatively dumb idiot pubbies drive straight into the torps and complain about how they're OP and should be nerfed. There have been multiple times where I think my TBs are going to miss only for the target to swerve into the torpedoes after dodging them all. It's not even a rudder shift time thing either: I'll watch a BB run parallel to my torps after turning away, run straight ahead for a couple of seconds (long enough to have certainly centred the rudder), then decide to swerve and eat some torps bracketing it. :psyduck: It's like the decided that since the torps were amidships that they were safe to turn even though said turn would take them back into the path of the torps.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Blindfiring torpedoes in a Minekaze really shouldn't work, but it does.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah blindfiring a good spread of long range torps in the general direction of enemies works a lot more frequently than it probably should.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Newbie question: In a cruiser, how does anti-air work? do I automatically shoot at planes that are within some range or do I have to press a button?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Newbie question: In a cruiser, how does anti-air work? do I automatically shoot at planes that are within some range or do I have to press a button?

It's automatic. You can turn it off by pressing a button (p) but in a cruiser there's rarely any reason to do so.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Prav posted:

It's automatic. You can turn it off by pressing a button (p) but in a cruiser there's rarely any reason to do so.
Your cruiser will be spotted as soon as the planes are in AA range anyway, so the only reason you'd turn it off is to avoid killing planes, which isn't totally preposterous but won't come up enough to matter.

Insert name here posted:

For whatever reason sequential fire fucks me up super hard and I can never hit anything when I try to do it so I always just for for the full salvo fire. I literally don't understand why this is. :iiam:
I hit more when I fire full broadsides than when I sequential fire :hf:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Prav posted:

You can also designate a specific enemy squadron to concentrate your AA fire on by control-clicking them. Very useful.

At tier 6 both the US and IJN cruisers get their specific class ability, which turns them into an anti-air death machine for 60 seconds and royally fucks up bombing runs--it cuts their accuracy by about 1/3. Dive bombers won't hit poo poo, torpedo bombers will spray their torps in all directions and probably not hit poo poo. You want to time this ability so they're beginning their attack run, but haven't reached the point where they're about to drop their torpedoes--too late to turn around, but not so late that it doesn't affect them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Magni posted:

Also, someone said they get 5 less guns from tier 8 on: That's because the upgrade on the Mogami (and all the cruisers after it) switch the turrets from tripple 6-inchers into twin 8-inchers.
It's actually a bit of a sidegrade on the Mogami as you lose weight of fire and DPM in return for more damage per shell (and a higher chance to score penetrations against BBs and american cruisers), higher shell velocity and faster turret turning.

That makes more sense. It still doesn't explain why those guns go from 5rpm to 4rpm from Myoko to Ibuki.

Insert name here posted:

I don't think there is any accuracy loss built into the game, but it always seems like it when I shoot in sequence.

It's also a good way to get tunnel vision and run into islands/torpedoes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

James Garfield posted:

Your cruiser will be spotted as soon as the planes are in AA range anyway, so the only reason you'd turn it off is to avoid killing planes, which isn't totally preposterous but won't come up enough to matter.

Single planes have to fly back to the carrier. A destroyed squadron starts prepping once the last plane is lost.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

xthetenth posted:

Single planes have to fly back to the carrier. A destroyed squadron starts prepping once the last plane is lost.
Just means they're back to be slaughtered faster :unsmigghh:

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I'd love to get in on this with a US key.

baconflaps@gmail.com

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I decided to uninstall. I had some fun with this for a while, but it started feeling a bit grindy and, frankly, I had enough of that type of game after World of Tanks. I really did enjoy the low tier stuff, though, especially destroyers.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Well, it is an early beta. I think most of the problems with the high tiers can be fixed by shifting numbers around. The core gameplay is very strong, it's just not balanced at the higher tiers. Probably because that isn't where the focus has been development-wise.

I'm not really thrilled by T7+ gameplay but I do think it'll be fixed. T5 games are fun as hell.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
OK, does anyone know where to find info on whats going to be in the next patch, or does that info not get distributed until the patch lands ? I've been all over the NA forums looking for anything but its chock full of 2-3 year old threads about whatever. Is this type of info RU only or something ?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MREBoy posted:

OK, does anyone know where to find info on whats going to be in the next patch, or does that info not get distributed until the patch lands ? I've been all over the NA forums looking for anything but its chock full of 2-3 year old threads about whatever. Is this type of info RU only or something ?

Kind of comes out of the rumor mill like WoT has. I don't know of a unified place to get the info though. Perhaps someone else can give better info.

I only know of "coming soon" that isn't specific to the next patch, and that is the fact modules are getting redone slightly. With one of the features being dive bombers getting ap shells along with their existing he shells. There are some other mainly cv stuff being worked on it seems. Better fighter mechanics will hopefully help with the current issues people experience where a carrier's planes just one tier above the enemy's fighters will just straight up smash up the enemy fighters. There is a very vague "improved projectiles" in there, but who knows what that means. Also, bismark and warsprite coming as premium before the end of cbt.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/what-next-world-warships/

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

MREBoy posted:

There's material posted on the super test forum, which is visible to normal alpha testers.
No notes for the next patch, but judging from super test forum it includes the Warspite, Sims- and Gnevny-class destroyers, an Omaha with Soviet flags, better guns for Japanese destroyers and a camo buff for torpedoes. All the new ships are premium so enjoy not being able to buy them.
Also the cap zones on points mode will generate 3 points per 4 seconds instead of 4.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

3 Kills in my first game in the USS Chester Molester. Game is pretty fun.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 2, 2015

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011
Received my key.

All hail TheFluff and Dr. Arbitrary!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

JuffoWup posted:

Kind of comes out of the rumor mill like WoT has. I don't know of a unified place to get the info though. Perhaps someone else can give better info.

I only know of "coming soon" that isn't specific to the next patch, and that is the fact modules are getting redone slightly. With one of the features being dive bombers getting ap shells along with their existing he shells. There are some other mainly cv stuff being worked on it seems. Better fighter mechanics will hopefully help with the current issues people experience where a carrier's planes just one tier above the enemy's fighters will just straight up smash up the enemy fighters. There is a very vague "improved projectiles" in there, but who knows what that means. Also, bismark and warsprite coming as premium before the end of cbt.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/what-next-world-warships/

...I did it! I am the April Fool. Was all ready to play US battleships and everything.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Do we get anything for participating in the Beta?
Ie a free premium ship or gold or something like that?

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
I just entered my code and am now downloading the client in eager anticipation of hot ship action. I want to give a hearty public thank you to TheFluff; you rock! Thanks also to Dr. Arbitrary for his listing efforts.

If I somehow luck into some keys I'll pay it forward.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Maybe a bit late to the show, but I'd like to queue for a U.S. Key. I haven't boated since navyfield didn't even have BB4/5s in it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Great to see that I can use the Fletcher class destroyer my grandfather served on :smith:

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Would really appreciate it if I could be put on the US key list, hope I'm not too late.

eraserbyrne (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk

cheers!

Also I decided to give Navyfield 2 a try since I did put a good bit of time into Navyfield years ago, and jesus, is it absolutely terrible.

There's an EXP and credit cap in games, so most players just suicide rush in, get off a couple of shots, and die and get their capped exp and credits and move on. Games are really unenjoyable because of it.

Chucullinn fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 3, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Do we get anything for participating in the Beta?
Ie a free premium ship or gold or something like that?

Haha your a funny guy.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Crash74 posted:

Haha your a funny guy.

You got one plane in WoWP and beta testers in WoT got a tank.
It is more a question how much one should put into the beta considering all progress will be wiped once it goes live.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stringbean posted:

Great to see that I can use the Fletcher class destroyer my grandfather served on :smith:

I have to wait for the British tree and the County-class and Q-class for that

Cardiac posted:

It is more a question how much one should put into the beta considering all progress will be wiped once it goes live.

Considering how vastly accelerated credits are and how cut down the XP for advancement seems to be compared to what Tanks was in beta, I don't think it's really going to be possible to put too much effort in.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Cardiac posted:

We'll probably get a premium boat, considering the alpha testers got one.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ranbo das posted:

We'll probably get a premium boat, considering the alpha testers got one.

This botes well for the future.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Kesper North posted:

This botes well for the future.

I sea what you did there.

In totally selfish interests I hope that Open beta testers can also qualify for a free bote.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gegil posted:

I sea what you did there.

In totally selfish interests I hope that Open beta testers can also qualify for a free bote.

Usually an alpha and a beta thing, haven't had closed beta things yet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

xthetenth posted:

Usually an alpha and a beta thing, haven't had closed beta things yet.

Planes had three different rewards for alpha, closed beta and open beta, and they stacked

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NTRabbit posted:

Considering how vastly accelerated credits are and how cut down the XP for advancement seems to be compared to what Tanks was in beta, I don't think it's really going to be possible to put too much effort in.
XP seems about right for non-premium, in-line with WoT. The big difference between WoT closed beta and launch was that closed beta had really high modifiers for first spots, which meant you got a disappropriate amount of XP for being the first one in (and why suicide spotting became a thing to make a bunch of effortless XP). They may have tweaked a few other things but IIRC that was the big change. There wasn't an XP boost or anything in place at the time (most goons back then had about an average of 300 to 400 XP/match on their stats page in fact back in the early days pre-soft wipe).

Credit income in this is a lot murkier though, since the entire scale is different from WoT. On one hand I'm hesitant to say it's boosted right now, because for example repairing my Pensacola from dead takes 45k (for reference, in WoT a tier 10 takes about 24 to 28k repair), so naturally the base credit rate is going to be higher. On the other hand it's really easy to make money right now and you rarely if ever take a loss as long as you do something in-game. If this is not a boosted credit rate I can definitely see them tweaking it downwards at some point to force you to buy premium in order to make money at the higher tiers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
:siren: attn zxqv8 and sparkmaster :siren:

If you don't give me your email addresses within the next 24 hours I will pass your keys on to the next people on the list.

Ghost of Mussolini and Raverrn, check your PM's. All out of keys now except for those two I'm holding for those deadbeats above. If I get more (uncertain at this time) it'll be after Easter at the very earliest.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Insert name here posted:

XP seems about right for non-premium, in-line with WoT. The big difference between WoT closed beta and launch was that closed beta had really high modifiers for first spots, which meant you got a disappropriate amount of XP for being the first one in (and why suicide spotting became a thing to make a bunch of effortless XP). They may have tweaked a few other things but IIRC that was the big change. There wasn't an XP boost or anything in place at the time (most goons back then had about an average of 300 to 400 XP/match on their stats page in fact back in the early days pre-soft wipe).

Credit income in this is a lot murkier though, since the entire scale is different from WoT. On one hand I'm hesitant to say it's boosted right now, because for example repairing my Pensacola from dead takes 45k (for reference, in WoT a tier 10 takes about 24 to 28k repair), so naturally the base credit rate is going to be higher. On the other hand it's really easy to make money right now and you rarely if ever take a loss as long as you do something in-game. If this is not a boosted credit rate I can definitely see them tweaking it downwards at some point to force you to buy premium in order to make money at the higher tiers.

Don't forget the 3 random daily missions too. That'll affect your credit and xp some as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
A couple days ago, there was another WoWS trailer shown. Not much there in meat as it just showed the american ships and rattled off a couple of them as show. I'm not sure on the gameplay because it was highly highly staged.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQklslOa8Hk

The big reason I post it though is the tech tree at the end. It shows the bb line as has been shown, but the carrier tree is altered again just like the previous video. It shows the essex staying at t10 and some other carrier taking up 9. I dunno if we are seeing video productions being shown out of sequence from when they were recorded or if wargaming just hasn't decided one way or the other on the midway being in the game or not.

This isn't discounting that the previous video showing the US tech tree flip flopped on the midway as well depending on which point in the video you looked at the tree.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
What are the odds the US BB branch unlocks off the Chester ? I hope not, doing it off the St. Louis would be a heck of a lot easier.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I can almost guarantee it'll unlock off the Chester.

I want US BBs now damnit. :mad: Also lol it's going to suck going so slow until tier 8. Can't wait to steam around at 21 knots while my team loses around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

KEYS KEYS KEYS

http://mmorpgbr.com.br/200-closed-beta-world-of-warships/