Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

One thing I'm not entirely sure of is how many Coulson has working for him? They haven't done a very good job of making it clear how big Coulson's SHIELD is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
He has as many agent(Kroenig)s as he needs!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah it's not clear, but it must be pretty substantial by now. When they were regrouping they showed a world map with dozens of safe house locations and there have been wide shots of the hanger (which is massive) with quite a few people milling about. They have enough people for Mack to not be suspicious about half a dozen other people working in the bus who were on standby to draw weapons on him.

But then the whole base was taken out by what appeared to be a small single file assault team where EJO was the 4th guy in line.
It was probably just bad editing though, I assume the gas coming in was some super potent knockout gas or something, but they never showed anyone actually being affected by the gas - Coulson looks up at the gas coming in the room while handcuffing Bobbi, it then cuts to "Real SHEILD" being in control and Bobbi walking about free. Feels like there is a missing intermediate scene that got cut for time or something?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
One of the realSHIELD guys mentioned in passing that the dendro-toxin gas performed admirably or something like that. That's the stuff in the icer guns.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah it's not clear, but it must be pretty substantial by now. When they were regrouping they showed a world map with dozens of safe house locations and there have been wide shots of the hanger (which is massive) with quite a few people milling about. They have enough people for Mack to not be suspicious about half a dozen other people working in the bus who were on standby to draw weapons on him.

But then the whole base was taken out by what appeared to be a small single file assault team where EJO was the 4th guy in line.
It was probably just bad editing though, I assume the gas coming in was some super potent knockout gas or something, but they never showed anyone actually being affected by the gas - Coulson looks up at the gas coming in the room while handcuffing Bobbi, it then cuts to "Real SHEILD" being in control and Bobbi walking about free. Feels like there is a missing intermediate scene that got cut for time or something?

I think it was aerosolized icer. It was blue, like the icers, and the murder-happy agent (I think) made a comment about the "dendrotoxin gas" being a good idea after all, which is the same type of toxin icers use.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This week on Battlestar Galactica Agents of SHIELD:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

This week on Battlestar Galactica Agents of SHIELD:

Xena & Bobbi :smith:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

quote:

Bunch of GotG downer stuff.

Maybe you're right...

Watches clips of Groot being awesome

Nope! OOGA CHAKA OOGA CHAKA!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I wish someone could find old gifs of Xena fighting. I distinctly remember her using that flip technique after a clothesline in the series NUMEROUS times, so to see it in Agents brought out double the nerd in me, if at all possible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Maybe you're right...

Watches clips of Groot being awesome

To be honest, I thought the shot of Groot dancing at the end was gratuitous and I really don't understand the love people have for Groot (or Hodor, or any character whose sole defining trait is saying his name over, and over, and over again). :colbert:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Irish Joe posted:

To be honest, I thought the shot of Groot dancing at the end was gratuitous and I really don't understand the love people have for Groot (or Hodor, or any character whose sole defining trait is saying his name over, and over, and over again). :colbert:

What's it like to hate fun?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
While Thor 2 and GotG might not be very important to the narrative for Ultron or Civil War, they are both important for the third round of Avengers, since that will deal with infinity stones, which are present in Captain America, Avengers, Thor 2, and GotG

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Butts posted:

But, regarding Fitz, holy poo poo I hope things get better for him. Seeing how betrayed he was with Ward, and then knowing he's probably feeling the same thing with Mack.

I completely forgot about that. Fitz will guilt Mack so hard. He'll try to explain how its different, but Fitz will just guilt the poo poo out of him. It probably won't help that Bobbi saw the team sent for Skye to straight up try to kill her when she was told that the operation was simple retrieval. You know that she'll be questioning Gonzales about that, and rethinking her loyalties; Coulson never went in for the kill (save against a bunch of Hydra bigwigs, but they're nazis, so who cares?) as a first choice, but Real SHIELD has no issue with it.

There will be a scene next week where someone questions Gonzales what makes them different than Hydra, and He'll respond with some flippant comment like "Because we're the good guys".

I bet what was on the Iliad was the Chitauri AI that Ultron was based off of.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

Will agree that the antagonist was poo poo and that they could've done so much more since he's basically an anti-hero in the comics, otherwise no you're wrong.

It's literally Marvel's Farscape.

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that.

The thing that really got me having watched Farscape after Guardians was how Guardians handled all it's outside the ship stuff with a very light touch, including people riding on the tops of spaceships not wearing a shirt. Farscape had a similar aesthetic - where Humans need to breathe but nobody seems to freeze out there - and it really felt to me (again, having seen FarScape after) like that's where the inspiration came from.

Not that I'm complaining, it just felt jarring compared to the other Marvel movies; I kind of expected space to work like space with their grounding. Still I definitely got the FarScape vibe more than a few times, and wasn't sure if it was all the movie or if the new comic series also was inspired by it.

Irish Joe posted:

Both Hodor and Groot make up for it by being very expressive in other ways. It's why they work.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

I totally agree with this. It was a fun movie to watch and I enjoyed it, but there's really nothing about it that makes it head and shoulders above everything else. I think more people will share that opinion as time goes on.

I believe you meant to say Fitz instead of Simmons. It is Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz.

But, regarding Fitz, holy poo poo I hope things get better for him. Seeing how betrayed he was with Ward, and then knowing he's probably feeling the same thing with Mack.

One of the best little things in this episode is that they were calling each other by their first name when they were pissed off. They never do that, otherwise.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Something I forgot to mention last night, and that I see nobody's mentioned yet, but wasn't it odd that Real S.H.I.E.L.D. said they used that... drat, I forget the name of it, but it's that stuff HYDRA used at that wedding, and that they weaponized...

And an interesting thought I had last night...

What if Fury knew about HYDRA being inside S.H.I.E.L.D., and Poject Insight was just bait to force them to show their hands? Like, what if, on the off chance HYDRA managed to get Project Insight up and running, instead of doing what Fury said it would do, it just popped up a video of Fury saying, "Ya'll some dumb motherfuckers!"? Or even better, it targeted HYDRA agents?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Project Insight was just a ruse. It seems like the kind of thing Fury would do...

Also, I expect sometime in the next 2 weeks, we'll get another cameo from Samuel L. Jackson, just before AOU. I also expect that The Avengers will find out that Coulson's alive in AOU, and that, in addition to pissing them off, it's gonna really piss off Tony, helping to solidify his part in Civil War.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Something I forgot to mention last night, and that I see nobody's mentioned yet, but wasn't it odd that Real S.H.I.E.L.D. said they used that... drat, I forget the name of it, but it's that stuff HYDRA used at that wedding, and that they weaponized...

Different stuff. The HYDRA stuff at the wedding was stuff they scraped from the Diviner/terrigen mist crystal holder thing. The gas in this episode was Dendrotoxin gas, so the same thing as Icers.

And there's zero reason to suspect Project Insight was just some ruse by Fury to bait Hydra, and it would sort of undermine the entire point of Winter Soldier. The entire point is about the old 'absolute security is the gateway to fascism.'

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 1, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

twistedmentat posted:

I completely forgot about that. Fitz will guilt Mack so hard. He'll try to explain how its different, but Fitz will just guilt the poo poo out of him. It probably won't help that Bobbi saw the team sent for Skye to straight up try to kill her when she was told that the operation was simple retrieval. You know that she'll be questioning Gonzales about that, and rethinking her loyalties; Coulson never went in for the kill (save against a bunch of Hydra bigwigs, but they're nazis, so who cares?) as a first choice, but Real SHIELD has no issue with it.

This episode was a good reminder that until the Avengers proved themselves, SHIELD kinda hated them, too. (also probably after they proved themselves) Skye's just getting the typical treatment, really. We can't forget that the plot of the Avengers movie was that the SHIELD execs decided Fury's "Avengers Initiative" was loving crazy and had torpedoed it in favor of, uh, I guess more SHIELD or something, and I'm pretty sure that until Fury secretly revived it that it had been totally scuttled.

These fuckers think they're new, they're not the old bad SHIELD, but they totally are. They are the rotten old, entrenched, bitter, power-hungry, untrusting, change-hating executives that we were lucky to leave behind. Maybe EJO was halfway decent at some point, but like others have said, he is now utterly controlled by fear to the point he can't see two feet in front of him. Too much PTSD for him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

Both Hodor and Groot make up for it by being very expressive in other ways. It's why they work.

Hodor also has a giant cock

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kheldarn posted:

And an interesting thought I had last night...

What if Fury knew about HYDRA being inside S.H.I.E.L.D., and Poject Insight was just bait to force them to show their hands? Like, what if, on the off chance HYDRA managed to get Project Insight up and running, instead of doing what Fury said it would do, it just popped up a video of Fury saying, "Ya'll some dumb motherfuckers!"? Or even better, it targeted HYDRA agents?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Project Insight was just a ruse. It seems like the kind of thing Fury would do...

That would basically undercut the entire last half of Cap 2.

And the stuff that Real SHIELD used was the chemical Icers are made out of.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing that really got me having watched Farscape after Guardians was how Guardians handled all it's outside the ship stuff with a very light touch, including people riding on the tops of spaceships not wearing a shirt. Farscape had a similar aesthetic - where Humans need to breathe but nobody seems to freeze out there - and it really felt to me (again, having seen FarScape after) like that's where the inspiration came from.

Unless you're incredibly far away from the nearest star (unlikely, since most space poo poo happens near habitable planets), you're more likely do die from overheating than freezing. The number 1 design issue in spacecraft today is how to radiate heat quickly enough to compensate for solar heating. In earth orbit you gain heat 18 times faster than you can radiate it, so design and orbital mechanics becomes a practice of presenting the smallest area possible to the sun while having as much surface area as possible not exposed to the giant flaming heat ball.

Of course you'll die of a severe case of the bends before either without a pressure suit.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Mistikman posted:

While Thor 2 and GotG might not be very important to the narrative for Ultron or Civil War, they are both important for the third round of Avengers, since that will deal with infinity stones, which are present in Captain America, Avengers, Thor 2, and GotG

We know Tony is going to laugh himself into hypoxia when he hears "My name is Star Lord", the raccoon is going to give him an aneurysm.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TEAH SYAG posted:

We know Tony is going to laugh himself into hypoxia when he hears "My name is Star Lord", the raccoon is going to give him an aneurysm.

I'm eagerly awaiting the moment that Rocket tries to use Bucky's arm in a plan :v:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Poor Fitz. First Ward and now Mack - why does everyone he opens up to turn out to be a traitor?

Fitz is getting set up with some serious supervillain motives.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Polaron posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting the moment that Rocket tries to use Bucky's arm in a plan :v:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'd just like to show you sassy pose Fitz

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Windows 98 posted:

Oh yeah, work it baby, the camera loves you!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Poor Fitz. First Ward and now Mack - why does everyone he opens up to turn out to be a traitor?

Fitz is getting set up with some serious supervillain motives.

Fitz is a total bro, though. Like how he wanted to help Skye and stood up for her against everyone else. He's pretty much up there with Coulson and May and I'd call him the heart of the team. Coulson is the soul, May is the protector, and Skye represents the hope of SHIELD being better.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So basically, realSHIELD are just some battle-crazed zealots who took over a battleship and now have their britches all up in their rear end because Fury picked Coulson instead. I hate these guys already and if watching them almost gun Skye down didn't turn Bobbi back, nothing will.

Also can I say how much glee I experienced watching Skye use her powers to alter the water flow? It was one of the few moments in the Marvel universe where you get to see someone alone going, "Holy poo poo I have powers. I have powers and I am using them and they are loving awesome." It was really sweet for some reason. :)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I think Fury's way is the best way to go about it, it just needs less oversight and crazy infiltrations. I feel like Hydra in Shield could have happened with basically anyone in charge, they were sneaky as hell about it.

Even project Insight could have been real handy, just those crazy helicarriers could have basically wiped out the Chitari on their own, or at least greatly slowed them down. Maybe scale it down so it's less "monitoring the world for terrorists and blowing them up anywhere on the planet" and more "just having lots of guns."

Basically, Fury let some bad poo poo go down, but now I feel like he knows what's up and he could do a good job rebuilding Shield if anyone was crazy enough to give him the chance. It'll be fun to see what his role is in Age of Ultron, maybe just supplying and transporting the Avengers and throwing them hideouts when they need them?

Also, Real Shield is a nice tie-in to civil war since they're basically at the civil war philosophy already, but I do wonder how this will all link in to Ultron with only four episodes to go. My guess is that the aircraft carrier has a LOT of Vibranium in it, and Stark will either get his hands on it to make Ultron robots or Ultron will raid it to get more vibranium. It seems like a key part of AoU will be "These robots are all over the world keeping the peace and they rock!" since there's always a time where the evil AI is working as planned, and we haven't heard anything about that yet...

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Also can I say how much glee I experienced watching Skye use her powers to alter the water flow? It was one of the few moments in the Marvel universe where you get to see someone alone going, "Holy poo poo I have powers. I have powers and I am using them and they are loving awesome." It was really sweet for some reason. :)

Good news, you can have these powers too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENITui5_jU

NowonSA posted:

I feel like Hydra in Shield could have happened with basically anyone in charge, they were sneaky as hell about it.

Yeah, I feel like blaming Hydra on Fury sort of ignores the incredibly ridiculous plot-level absurd 'espionage' it takes to have hundreds if not thousands of Nazi Death Cultists working in positions that require deep background checks and such for decades. You can only get so much mileage out of 'well Alexander Pierce or John Garrett just rubber-stamped all their buddies' before the practicality of having legions of Hidden Nazis becomes less believable than 'tiny bighead baby steve rogers got injected with science and lived in an iceberg'

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 2, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Unfortunately this doesn't really work. You can't actually build a fountain like that, since you only get that effect if you record it with a 24 FPS camera. To the bare eye this looks just like a regular guh of water.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Ambivalent posted:

Yeah, I feel like blaming Hydra on Fury sort of ignores the incredibly ridiculous plot-level absurd 'espionage' it takes to have hundreds if not thousands of Nazi Death Cultists working in positions that require deep background checks and such for decades. You can only get so much mileage out of 'well Alexander Pierce or John Garrett just rubber-stamped all their buddies' before the practicality of having legions of Hidden Nazis becomes less believable than 'tiny bighead baby steve rogers got injected with science and lived in an iceberg'

Considering the ages lots of agents were born into Hydra deepcover and probably would have passed any background check they were subjected to and Peirce wouldn't need to rubber stamp everyone else, just everyone that was on the vetting committee.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

Considering the ages lots of agents were born into Hydra deepcover and probably would have passed any background check they were subjected to and Peirce wouldn't need to rubber stamp everyone else, just everyone that was on the vetting committee.

I have a theory that scumbag guy - who plays a scumbag in everything (and tried to shoot Sky this last week) - will turn out to be HYDRA and skipped being vetted just out of virtue of being onboard the carrier when the winds changed. He was the only member of the new inner circle that wasn't in any of the flashbacks, too.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I give them major props for having him give a look of terror when his latest friend turned out to be a traitor; even though Mack ultimately saved him, you could tell he was having major PTSD from the Ward situation. They were able to say all of that without even referencing it once in the dialogue. Really solid.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 2, 2015

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Joe Toy/Charlie Francis/Ramse is not a scumbag I will fight you :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Windows 98 posted:

He does sassy pose all the time! I remember seeing it in season 1 and wondering what he was doing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
He really does do it a lot and I laugh every time. It's just such a goofy, unnatural looking pose, and his mom sweater just adds to it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fitz being sassy during the HYDRA takeover:

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Finally some payoff for the Bobbi & Mack stuff but I agree, ReelSheeld come off as having been thoroughly traumatized and turned draconian as a result. Instead of a World Council they now have a Shield Council but it's made up of reactionary fraidycats. When Admiral Adama was going on about how Coulson was unstable and a creation of Fury, Coulson should have just responded with "and how many international crises have you averted in the past year?".

Loved Bobbis line to Xena, seems like something Adrianne would actually say to Lucy :aw:

VDay posted:

He really does do it a lot and I laugh every time. It's just such a goofy, unnatural looking pose, and his mom sweater just adds to it.

That's a cardigan and it's totally nerd chic to wear them, don't you read YLLS!? Regardless, Fitz is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I'd like to point out that if you're not following Brett Dalton on Twitter during every episode, you're watching incorrectly. He live tweets puns as poo poo happens, basically like if Ward were watching and cackling as Coulson and gang encounter problems.

Edit: example, when he and Agent 33 had the hydra guy all tied up and being forced to watch TV, he tweeted "clockWard Orange"

Keshik fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 2, 2015

• Locked thread