Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Brigdh posted:

Why do I have to drain and flush the brake system to change the shocks?!

Because the engineer who designed it has never and will never do anything more to a car than pump gas into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

AirRaid posted:

Not sure which thread this should go in, hedging my bets with here.

Source: Ebay

:stare:

Does that have... Side pipes?

:dong:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geoj posted:

Because the engineer who designed it has never and will never do anything more to a car than pump gas into it.

More like a penny pincher elsewhere decided "who gives a poo poo about maintenance, choose the cheapest supplier"

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

atomicthumbs posted:

Wasn't there a goon who got a speeding ticket in his Volvo 850 for going 148 in a 65 zone or something similar?
What, this?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

yes

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

charliemonster42 posted:

It's *awful*. I can't believe the questions people post in there expecting people to answer them. poo poo that 30 seconds with google would answer, probably from the actual R3V forums, too.

Sometimes I abuse these people.

I'm the terrible car stuff, aren't I :ohdear:

every once in a while someone will seriouspost asking why their e30 throws a CEL when they start the car. (non e30 people: the e30's obc checks if your brake lights are working and it can't test them until you apply the brakes to complete the circuit, basically outs you as oblivious unless you bought the car that week.)

your average r3v Facebook poster's intelligence is about on par with the guy from the forums who "poped" his tires and crashed into that poor old lady's house.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

That's both impressive and terrible at the same time. How'd that court appearance go?

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Oh how cool! A VW Beetle in the parking lot at the pick and pull yard!

Wait... What the gently caress?

Cracked_Gear fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 2, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

That's the cleanest, most organized yard I've ever seen.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cracked_Gear posted:

Oh how cool! A VW Beetle at the pick and pull yard!

So did you open the engine cover and see what was in it, or...?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cracked_Gear posted:

Oh how cool! A VW Beetle at the pick and pull yard!

That guy lives in my neighborhood. What's up neighbor? You at the Parts Galore on 8 Mile?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm pretty sure that's a boxter spyder.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the cleanest, most organized yard I've ever seen.

Parking lot outside the yard, unless :thejoke:?

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Yes it was parked outside the yard

and yeah it was at Parts Galore over on 8 mile.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

Parking lot outside the yard, unless :thejoke:?

Ok that makes sense. Our yards are miserable anyhow :(

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

DiggityDoink posted:

That's both impressive and terrible at the same time. How'd that court appearance go?
With 48 more hours in jail. Woooo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a boxter spyder.

I'm sort of with you on this but on the other hand the wheels say GM or Chrysler.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I'm sort of with you on this but on the other hand the wheels say GM or Chrysler.

You might be on to something. Could it be a Solstice/Sky?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
It's almost always a Fiero.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'll see if I can catch him in the neighborhood and ask him what's under there. It's finally getting nicer out, so he'll be out and about more often.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But before the Fiero existed, it was always a beetle.

So a Fiero converted to a beetle actually makes a lot of sense, it'd just be continuing the tradition.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That guy lives in my neighborhood. What's up neighbor? You at the Parts Galore on 8 Mile?

I remember seeing this at a show 5-6 years ago, I'm both surprised and excited that this is still on the road!

Build thread should answer any questions: http://www.luckinbillmadeit.com/53B.html

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

So, this was in the parking lot today. Something tells me the solar panel doesn't add much to the milage. I'm also not too sure this isn't just a solar panel theft in progress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm guessing by the fact that it says electric the solar panel is there to supplement plug-in batteries. I'd be curious to know why someone clever enough to rig up an electric car would angle the solar panel like that, though.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I'm guessing by the fact that it says electric the solar panel is there to supplement plug-in batteries. I'd be curious to know why someone clever enough to rig up an electric car would angle the solar panel like that, though.

Downforce?

I mean the sheer amount of drag it must add must counteract whatever benefit the solar panel has.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

So they could park it so the sun hits it dead on instead of at an angle, increasing efficiency.. east in the morning, west in the afternoon. south in the winter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

So they could park it so the sun hits it dead on instead of at an angle, increasing efficiency.. east in the morning, west in the afternoon. south in the winter.

I'd expect that it would fold down while moving, in that case, but that support doesn't look like it does.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

I have the sinking feeling that you're right and that this is one of those instances where someone very clever - in a certain field - does something retarded because they're completely ignorant of another field entirely.

The choice of base vehicle points in this direction also.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Prototype solar time attack car

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

someone very clever - in a certain field - does something retarded because they're completely ignorant of another field entirely.

I, too, have met engineers before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

I, too, have met engineers before.

Exactly.

Ask me about the time an engineer decided to question the accuracy of my tyre pressure gauge in relation to the one at the petrol station and then I had to spend twenty minutes persuading him that 1 psi doesn't actually make any difference at all.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

I may be biased, but if that is built properly, that is in the wrong thread.

I wanna bag it so hard :stare:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

1 psi doesn't actually make any difference at all.

Please don't bait the autocross drivers (like me :argh:)

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The choice of base vehicle points in this direction also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solectria_Force

The car *was* a professional EV conversion, but the solar panel ... well, wasn't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mid 90s electric cars aren't highway cruisers, and i doubt there's much drag off that thing at 30mph.

The solar pannel probably lets him drive home after work, and his mounts don't look to have cost much more than a hundred bucks in scrap.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

NoWake posted:

I remember seeing this at a show 5-6 years ago, I'm both surprised and excited that this is still on the road!

Build thread should answer any questions: http://www.luckinbillmadeit.com/53B.html

Wow... I wonder if the creator screamed ITS ALIVE! when the engine fired up

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

Exactly.

Ask me about the time an engineer decided to question the accuracy of my tyre pressure gauge in relation to the one at the petrol station and then I had to spend twenty minutes persuading him that 1 psi doesn't actually make any difference at all.

Engineers with no cross disciplinary skills or awareness piss me off.

Reminds me. One of my coworkers made an impossible to assemble design, and was hoping to make it more impossible in the name of aesthetics. I got wind of it and told them it wasn't possible to assemble no matter how pretty it was in solidworks, and needed to be redesigned.

Answer? "Eh, that's not my problem, techs deal with that." (Yes, just as condescending as it sounds. loving ivory tower engineers...)

So I made sure to mention the specific spot to look to one of the tech/engineer guys I BS with a lot, he attends all design reviews and nothing gets approved for manufacturing without his word.

Guess what design feature just happened to get changed? :v::v: I saw it on someone's screen yesterday and it is mysteriously now possible to assemble, easily in fact.

I hope a lesson was learned.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Aurune posted:

So, this was in the parking lot today. Something tells me the solar panel doesn't add much to the milage. I'm also not too sure this isn't just a solar panel theft in progress.

Sup, fellow south bay goon

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm a civil engineer, and get to deal with constructability issues thanks to the "artist" architects and their ability to convince stakeholders that a bridge just HAS to have impossible curves or superfluous appurtenances that would cost more than the entire budget if we actually built them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

I'm a civil engineer, and get to deal with constructability issues thanks to the "artist" architects and their ability to convince stakeholders that a bridge just HAS to have impossible curves or superfluous appurtenances that would cost more than the entire budget if we actually built them.

Remember that building in Britain upon which the artist architect had fit mirrors in such a curve that it could light things passing by on fire?