Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Onmi posted:

Just keep in mind Hoshido gets a butler.

Well poo poo. Guess I'll have to play both sides after all don't tell my brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Kamui's class in that screenshot is "Dark Prince." I wonder if he'd be "Light Prince" on the Hoshido side?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What if they combined Thief and Archer into one class tho

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

What if they combined Thief and Archer into one class tho

Honestly with how much theorizing goes on in this thread about how to make Archers more viable slamming two niche classes together like that's probably not the worst idea around

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Best way to make Archers viable: remove them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This might be a stretch, but what if the Hoshido thief class is totally different from the Nohr thief class? Like, in Hoshido they're ninjas who use swords like normal, but in Nohr they use bows (and have the foreign word for thief as the class name). Hoshido gets pegasi, Nohr gets wyverns, etc?

That could be pretty interesting.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Bows and thieves come up together quite a bit, at least in other media. Like how assassins picked up bows in 13. Which actually makes me remember how assassins just outclass swordmasters in every way. I hope they lock some core skills to classes in this one to give classes more character and meaning. Swordfaire being locked to swordmasters would at least make them, well, the masters of the sword, for example.

Reclassing is basically confirmed at this point, but limiting the skills you can carry with you to other classes would be really nice. The fact that there are so many slots for skills has me worried that they're bringing back the world map for grinding, which would really be a shame. The world map hasn't worked any of the times they've tried it and they just need to stop trying.

Watching the trailer again, it does annoy me how they're painting the whole Hoshido/Nohr thing so one-sidedly though. Making the country based on feudal japan the peaceful one is a bit funny as it is, but making not!europe into the sole aggressor goes a bit too far I think. As much as we don't have much to go off of at this point, I hope this is just a very, very broad-strokes painting of the two sides. It's hard to create a decent story for both sides if it reads like a whitewashed history class.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Reclassing is basically confirmed at this point, but limiting the skills you can carry with you to other classes would be really nice. The fact that there are so many slots for skills has me worried that they're bringing back the world map for grinding, which would really be a shame. The world map hasn't worked any of the times they've tried it and they just need to stop trying.

According to the official site, Hoshido has opportunities for grinding, Nohr does not.
Hoshido: A story focusing on protecting your Hoshidan birthplace and royal relatives from the Nohrian invasion. Outside the main story, you can earn experience and funds and freely develop your characters; perfect for those who enjoy freedom.
Nohr: In this story, you work with the Nohrian royal family to battle the internal conflicts within Nohr itself. Compared to Hoshido, the difficulty is higher, with limited opportunities to earn experience and funds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Desuwa posted:

From what I heard, the Hoshido side gets a world map to grind on while the Nohr side doesn't. The split is basically to make two games for two different kinds of fans (old school v. new Awakening fans, generally speaking).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr Nohr

Some other important stuff from the site:

At the heart of this world is a conflict between the peace-loving kingdom of Hoshido and the glory-seeking kingdom of Nohr. As the strained relationship between the two nations reaches its critical point, a large-scaled conflict breaks out. The protagonist was born in the Hoshidan royal family, but raised by the Nohrian royal family; he or she is faced with a great decision. The keyword for this new Fire Emblem is “if”. With Hoshido and Nohr as the backdrops, the player must make choices, which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters, while progressing two very extremely different stories.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Nohr is sounding like the good story here, but from the way they're framing it, you'll probably want to go through Hoshido's story first to get the setting and Hoshido's side of the story set, so you can better savor Nohr's story. I'm pretty psyched for this game, except for the whole 2016 release part. Argh.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The real question is whether the DLC third path has grinding or not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, it seems that Nohr will have superior balancing and much more potential for an interesting story. But is it really worth it if i lose out on Pegasus Knights and a dapper Anime Butler?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You get TWO maids in Nohr. The loss of that redheaded pegasus knight hurts but I'm willing to wait for my second playthrough.

First playthrough Nohr marrying the hottest anime dude available, second playthrough Hoshido marrying that chick, and third playthrough Neutral marrying the hottest anime dude of all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

You get TWO maids in Nohr. The loss of that redheaded pegasus knight hurts but I'm willing to wait for my second playthrough.

First playthrough Nohr marrying the hottest anime dude available, second playthrough Hoshido marrying that chick, and third playthrough Neutral marrying the hottest anime dude of all.

Two maids don't amount to a butler. Three maids are barely a butler. It's just science

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I just noticed, the first skill in this screenshot has its own special circle. The same one's on the bow thief one, but he has no skills. So i guess either Soldier or Citizen skills are back?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So, it seems that Nohr will have superior balancing and much more potential for an interesting story. But is it really worth it if i lose out on Pegasus Knights and a dapper Anime Butler?

poo poo, you don't get Pegasus Knights unless you pick Hoshido?

Quoth the Raven:

Never Nohr

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

poo poo, you don't get Pegasus Knights unless you pick Hoshido?

Quoth the Raven:

Never Nohr

Well we don't know if you'll get NONE, but it's the Wyvern country while Hoshido is the Pegasus country. Could be defectors.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

poo poo, you don't get Pehasus Knights unless you pick Hoshido?

Quoth the Raven:

Never Nohr

Well, I certainly wouldn't say it's guaranteed. In most FE games the good kingdom uses pegasi while the evil kingdom uses wyverns, but then you always end up recruiting a few wyverns anyway. Who knows how many turncoats we'll meet? If class changing returns from Awakening it's even less of a problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Look you guys I saw the opportunity for a dumb pun and I took it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Well I Chrommand you to stop

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Shaking my head at everyone who makes the foolish decision to play Nohr first and then realizes they have to play through not Nohr before they can finish the game properly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally, I'm torn between my desire to play a real Fire Emblem game without a world map to grind on, and my anime love for ninjas and stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Onmi posted:

Well I Chrommand you to stop

I'm sorry if I came off as a Raven lunatic

I didn't mean to Erk you

I'll try not to earn your Rath in the future

Wil you perhaps forgive me

I'm just trying to let out all this Pent up frustration over having to wait for the new game

Let us Harken back to better days

Farina past thread, without these puns

I can only name FE7 characters off the top of my head

edit: uh, you're only as good as the Sumia parts? I don't know

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 2, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: uh, you're only as good as the Sumia parts? I don't know

Tharja go.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You're all a bunch of Dorcas.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Given that our new protagonist is presumably of royal blood and fights with the sword n' the stone I will be very disappointed in the localization team if when they fail to rename the main hero to Arthur.

e: Just like I was disappointed that Krom couldn't be a barbarian.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, she'll need a gender neutral name.

Anyhoo, Iwata mentions explicit conversation choices during the last Direct, so there's definitely more choices to be made even once you've joined Nohr.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a Robin with no feet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like postgame grinding, but I dislike grinding before the end. I wonder if Nohr will have no world map period, or just none until the end.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rhonne posted:

What if the third campaign has you joining the monsters?

I'd be down. "Join comrade Kamui as you lead the oppressed non-human proletariat to rise up the bourgeois human scum." :ussr:

ZeeToo posted:

I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a Robin with no feet.

S/he floats, as merely walking would sully such noble feet, obviously.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

its kinda funny that they based the pacifist country of a nation that started 99% of the wars they were in irl

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If we take a closer look at the boxarts, we'll see something interesting.

It seems both sides get a maid and butler each. But we saw the maids next to each other in the first Direct, apperantly on good terms.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Noah clearly has the best butler too, stern cool dude > prettyboy animeface. In fact, other than red helm man who is equally good as his Noah counterpart, it's clear that all the Hoshido characters up to and including the MU are just a big pile of bad and poo poo, IMO.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Terper posted:

It seems both sides get a maid and butler each. But we saw the maids next to each other in the first Direct, apperantly on good terms.

My guess is that you start with both of them at the beginning, but only one of them follows you to whichever side you choose. I mean, obviously there's a point in the story where it makes sense to defect, so it's easy enough for someone else to tag along.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Terper posted:

If we take a closer look at the boxarts, we'll see something interesting.

the nohr dude is wearing armor and carrying a lance, i dunno why you think he's a butler.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

the nohr dude is wearing armor and carrying a lance, i dunno why you think he's a butler.

Everyone has an obvious counterpart on the opposite side. Two little sisters, two older sisters, two older brothers, two younger brothers, two maids, and two butlers. Frederick was basically a butler.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inflammatory posted:

Frederick wore a full suit under his armor.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
a guy can be old and stern-looking without being a butler. don't put my new friend stern-looking old guy in a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Old, ugly people aren't allowed in the murder party.