Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Amberskin posted:

The insights into chinese culture are nice. And, by the way, if the author were a westerner that hilarious computer construction project, solved simply adding more chinese people into the fray would be very close to a bad taste ethnical joke.

Oh no! A bad taste joke! Should I add him to my blacklist?!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting that Low Town/The Straight Razor Cure is getting this much buzz - Ferretbrain and Strange Horizons didn't like it at all.

Those reviews seem to dislike it most because it isn't epic fantasyish enough with a meticulously laid out magic system or expansive worldbuilding and battles, which seems sorta silly to me when they're reviewing what's a noir story set in a fantasy slum-city and is told exclusively through a first person limited POV(who also isn't a magic user). Oh, also, one of the reviewers seems to have a hate-bias towards it based primarily on being offended by it's portrayal of fictional fantasy races.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

It's literally about souls coming back from the 'beyond' (which is an afterlife with a sort of Star Trek soft science justification, not a religious construct) and possessing people. Honestly as a ludicrous space opera conceit I think it's pretty cool, but I haven't read it since I was a teenager.

It was not. I read it a couple of years ago and I thought it was stupid and terrible, and the characters were stupid and terrible people. And that's before Al Capone came back from the dead and started taking over the known universe.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

savinhill posted:

Those reviews seem to dislike it most because it isn't epic fantasyish enough with a meticulously laid out magic system or expansive worldbuilding and battles, which seems sorta silly to me when they're reviewing what's a noir story set in a fantasy slum-city and is told exclusively through a first person limited POV(who also isn't a magic user). Oh, also, one of the reviewers seems to have a hate-bias towards it based primarily on being offended by it's portrayal of fictional fantasy races.

You're stupid and wrong.

XBenedict posted:

Non-fiction doesn't belong in the Sci-Fi thread. :colbert:

The idea that knowledge can ever be pure and objective is just a fantasy. :colbert: to you too.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

General Battuta posted:

It's literally about souls coming back from the 'beyond' (which is an afterlife with a sort of Star Trek soft science justification, not a religious construct) and possessing people. Honestly as a ludicrous space opera conceit I think it's pretty cool, but I haven't read it since I was a teenager.

I guess it is not for me. I'll give it one more try but I'm not optimistic.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

House Louse posted:

You're stupid and wrong.

Hmm, I've considered this in depth counter analysis, but have to disagree and say: no, you

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kesper North posted:

It was not. I read it a couple of years ago and I thought it was stupid and terrible, and the characters were stupid and terrible people. And that's before Al Capone came back from the dead and started taking over the known universe.

Yeah, it's bad. Cut your losses now, don't sink another 2000 pages into it. Next up are the resurrected space hippies driving around in their van, how wacky and cool!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ulta posted:

I started reading "The Reality Dsyfunction" by Peter Hamilton. It started great. Then I felt something was off when the space commie atheists, the edenist, started explaining how logical it was that they didn't believe in God in the way no atheist ever does. Then the book sets up the Adamist as the conflicting side as the space Christians. I've set the book down because I'm at the point now where it's been revealed that the convict indentured servant/slave is literally a space satanist there to prey on the space Christians. I caught a glimpse in the Wikipedia about souls from hell coming back, like Al Capone, and being the main villians. Did I pick up some Left Behind bullshit or does it actually get not dumb quickly, or is it space hell the whole way down

Well, the correct answer is welcome to Hamiltons writing. If you were expecting something serious and thought provoking, this is not the series.
But if you are just along for the ride, it is a pretty eventful one. Hamiltons writes pretty good action sequences covering high-tech infantry and space battles and that made the series pretty enjoyable to me.

Sometimes I get this feeling that people takes reading way too seriously and expect too much of their literature (looks at my old collection of Forgotten Realms, Battletech and Dragonlance as well as the shining glory, the novel for Baldurs Gate 2).

Regarding Lynch and the Locke Lamora books, the first book is pretty great and then the two remaining books consist of neat ideas and Locke being treated like Rocky. Somehow I think the series would have been better if every scene didn't have to be more fantastic than the previous one. There are also some cool episodes that deserved more detail, like the scene in Red Seas where they go along a river guarded by some mysterious being, which only gets a few pages. I remember that part more than I remember the rest of the book.

Something with the Evolvarium in Reynolds Poseidons Wake.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Ulta posted:

I started reading "The Reality Dsyfunction" by Peter Hamilton. It started great. Then I felt something was off when the space commie atheists, the edenist, started explaining how logical it was that they didn't believe in God in the way no atheist ever does. Then the book sets up the Adamist as the conflicting side as the space Christians. I've set the book down because I'm at the point now where it's been revealed that the convict indentured servant/slave is literally a space satanist there to prey on the space Christians. I caught a glimpse in the Wikipedia about souls from hell coming back, like Al Capone, and being the main villians. Did I pick up some Left Behind bullshit or does it actually get not dumb quickly, or is it space hell the whole way down

It's a series about Al Capone becoming the emperor from Star Wars, whether that sounds dumb terrible or dumb awesome is up to you.

This being Hamilton the entire plot is resolved in a deus ex machina in the last ten pages though.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Neurosis posted:

Oh no! A bad taste joke! Should I add him to my blacklist?!!?

Oh, gently caress me, my choice of words was stupid.

Before you put me in that PC fanatic field, I'll try to clarify it. Jokes about solving a problem throwing a bazillion of chinese into it are commonplace where I live. Some people takes the anti-racism stuff to the extreme and thinks even that light humor is intolerable, and I was trying to refer to that kind of people.

And, returning to the book in question and that specific part, I wonder if that particular stunt has been tried somewhere, obviously scaled down. A man-powered digital circuit would be a thing to be seen!

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
E: I'm really clumsy today.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

thehomemaster posted:

So? I'm failing to see a problem beyond reactionary hand-wringing.

'If we never think about it, it never happened!'

PS. also buying the book now.

d-drat! what a badass. he's buying a book after hearing someone may have been offended by it... just to show he doesn't give a gently caress!

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I'm just happy someone acknowledged it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

What the gently caress is up with the hypersensitive babies in this thread who think 'haha, that would have been a bad taste joke in another context' is some kind of raid by the Cultural Marxists?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Cultural Maoists.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Peel posted:

What the gently caress is up with the hypersensitive babies in this thread who think 'haha, that would have been a bad taste joke in another context' is some kind of raid by the Cultural Marxists?

#GaimanGate

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Peel posted:

What the gently caress! What the gently caress! Can someone tell me just what the gently caress is up with this!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maybe it's because I'm in school and studying the rhetorical power of narrative, but I do think that stories have the capability to influence how we feel about important subjects, even sci fi. Based on that, I think criticizing a book for its social implications is valid.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Peel posted:

Because that's how the forums were for a long, long time.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

fritz posted:

#GaimanGate

Awesome. :haw:

I'm about to finish Trigger Warning and I definitely didn't like it as much as his other short story collections.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

blue squares posted:

Maybe it's because I'm in school and studying the rhetorical power of narrative, but I do think that stories have the capability to influence how we feel about important subjects, even sci fi. Based on that, I think criticizing a book for its social implications is valid.

There's a series that I think you'd really like, it's Wildcards, edited by George R R Martin. And, yeah, 'currently studying' something in school certainly helps one take ideas to their reactionary extreme.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

There's a series that I think you'd really like, it's Wildcards, edited by George R R Martin. And, yeah, 'currently studying' something in school certainly helps one take ideas to their reactionary extreme.

I didn't mean to sound extremist. I'm not taking to Twitter to demand the author apologize, just saying why I think it's valid to consider stuff like this, that's all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

#GaimanGate

Actually, it's about ethics in alternate universe sci-fi novels.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Oh boy, just wait until uni/college!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Are any of the books in the new Humble Bundle Sci-Fi pack any good? I'm only familiar with Kevin J Anderson through his Dune novels which I didn't really enjoy that much, but I'm not sure if that's him or if it's Herbert Jr's influence, or the combination of the two of them trying to ape Frank Herbert's style.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nah, Kevin J. Anderson is all sorts of terrible on his own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drifter posted:

There's a series that I think you'd really like, it's Wildcards, edited by George R R Martin.

It even has its own thread. Venture here at your peril.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Ishiguro's The Buried Giant is pretty average. Too meandering and filled with stilted (and sometimes pretty laughable) dialogue, although the ending is really strong. Funny the amount of critics who have defended its literary quality "despite" it being fantasy literature, when in reality its much less interesting than a good chunk of the genre fiction by less celebrated authors.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

It even has its own thread. Venture here at your peril.

Hey, he said he wanted social commentary. :shrug:

:cawg:

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

quote:

Veiled Alliances: A Prequel Novella to the Epic Space Opera The Saga of Seven Suns

Yeesh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Clark Nova posted:

Nah, Kevin J. Anderson is all sorts of terrible on his own.

He can be kind of hilarious in his over the top-ness however.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Peel posted:

It's not just this thread: https://bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
That article is ignorant, and also not the point.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That article is terrible, holy poo poo.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Amberskin posted:

And, by the way, if the author were a westerner that hilarious computer construction project, solved simply adding more chinese people into the fray would be very close to a bad taste ethnical joke.

Peel posted:

'haha, that would have been a bad taste joke in another context'

Totally the same thing, bro. I mean, after you reworded it of course.

Currently reading Shogun and the Japanese characters are marvelling at the size of the Dutch man's penis. The author is a white man. I'm triggered and trembling. Should I boycott it y/n?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The most accidentally interesting thing about that article is the author's argument that SF/F readers basically want the same story over and over and over again. Which, going by the eternal success of formula romance novels, isn't...entirely wrong? Some of the backlash against feminism/postcolonialism/what have you must be about confounding it with postmodern literature, abstract experimental art, and books in which everyone is an rear end in a top hat and nothing matters.

Anyway! Let's talk about books instead of talking about talking about books. Arguing about whether we have too much feminism or not enough is pointless. The issue is really touchy right now, I can't imagine anyone will change anyone else's mind.

I just finished City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett and liked it a good bit. I stumbled around the opening a while, waiting for it to stop being a light murder mystery and start using the interestingly grotesque post-God setting for something. The ending was also little pat, with a magical showdown that felt too weightless.

But all in all I liked it quite a bit, mostly on the strength of the book's mid/late section. I loved all the intelligence work and Great Game realpolitik — 'we have to be assholes because if we aren't much bigger assholes will take over' is a satisfying, honest motive for the big players in this world, and when we get to see the really ugly religious fundamentalists who want to be in power it's almost a motive the reader can root for (the book must've been written before ISIS exploded, but it's just as chilling to imagine Salafists or Scientologists or whoever else armed with the possibility their god is actually real and might step into the world to act). The religious history and ontology of the setting was pretty cool to uncover. The book also did a lot of work with the social role of faith, and the possibility of a genuinely healthy, prosocial religion, although it felt maybe a little didactic on that count.

Shara and the rest of the main cast took a little while to grow on me, but when she struggles to reconcile her patriotism, her intellectual hunger, and her own moral compass she's pretty compelling. While I wish the book had spent a little more time on its strengths (the creepy, creative, broken setting) and a little less time on its weaknesses (one-dimensional villains and a lot of fighting and magic without much bite), I'm curious where the next one will go.

I am reading My Work Is Not Yet Done by Ligotti and Get in Trouble by Kelly Link. Kelly Link is awesome and probably everyone should read her. She's also a really easy author to give as a gift, since her stories are easy to read but weird and thought-provoking.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I liked City of Stairs a lot and I have seen it mentioned fairly often in this thread. A related book that people might like is Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone - it's got an uncannily similar setting (at least on paper), but the two books read very differently. I thought Three Parts Dead was pretty lighthearted and read very quickly, whereas City of Stairs was relatively slower going, and felt a bit more "literary". If you like it (I did!) the author has written two other books in the same universe, but with different characters.

I haven't seen Three Parts Dead mentioned in this thread - has anyone else read it or its sequels?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ani posted:

I liked City of Stairs a lot and I have seen it mentioned fairly often in this thread. A related book that people might like is Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone - it's got an uncannily similar setting (at least on paper), but the two books read very differently. I thought Three Parts Dead was pretty lighthearted and read very quickly, whereas City of Stairs was relatively slower going, and felt a bit more "literary". If you like it (I did!) the author has written two other books in the same universe, but with different characters.

I haven't seen Three Parts Dead mentioned in this thread - has anyone else read it or its sequels?

I've been plugging it here fairly frequently. I really enjoyed the first two books and the text adventure. I bounced off the third book - read like 40% of the book and still didn't really care about either protagonist or saw what the overall story was.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ani posted:

I actually read City of Stairs and Three Parts Dead back to back a few weeks ago. You're right that both have similar settings on paper, but they're still really different books. I mean, like Battuta brought up from that review, yeah, sometimes stories or plotlines or settings can repeat themselves, but this is a great example of how you can derive a completely different experience from a superficially similar premise ("an expert in an esoteric field arrives to a metropolis whose guardian deity has died and there's a big mystery related to the death that they need to solve using their expertise and wits").

I wouldn't draw enough of an equivalence between the two to recommend you one if you liked the other, except that both are good books so you should read them on that basis.

Genre classifications are a funny old thing, both are fantasy novels set in cities but I wouldn't call either "urban fantasy" unless at gunpoint. Also while magic is an everyday part of everything in Three Parts Dead, it's more of a powerful and scary thing even in minor phenomena in City of Stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Megazver posted:

I've been plugging it here fairly frequently. I really enjoyed the first two books and the text adventure. I bounced off the third book - read like 40% of the book and still didn't really care about either protagonist or saw what the overall story was.

I felt the same way about it at first, but I'd say try again if you feel like it. The payoff afterwards was worth it for me. Do you remember where you stopped? I'm guessing it was a little before things got going, and started really tying into the other two books.