Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Taxpayer Bill of Rights laws have hosed over so many states. I wish it was possible to get them declared illegal by the supreme court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, how are all these rear end in a top hat store owners going to even know a customer is gay before serving them? It was so much easier when they were black...

The current round of legislation is directed towards people providing services to gay wedding ceremonies, so not that hard really? I'm sure there are some people who would prefer to deny any service to gay customers but I don't think doing that would meet the standards of the law most of these states are proposing. Not that it would matter in states where there isn't a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This was apparently discussed in the drug legalization thread when the topic first came up in February, but it's come up again today and it seems worth bringing up in this thread...

Colorado lawmakers have been forced to send a question to the voters in order to hold on to the $60 million of marijuana taxes because their Taxpayer's Bill of Rights requires the state to send refund checks to all citizens if the state raises more money than they budget for, even though the marijuana tax itself has not been quite as successful as was originally thought.

What's stopping them from writing a budget that says 'we expect X amount but are budgeting for Y which is bigger than X' so they can just keep the money?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Raskolnikov38 posted:

What's stopping them from writing a budget that says 'we expect X amount but are budgeting for Y which is bigger than X' so they can just keep the money?

Because the expectations are explicitly set by statute when taxes are passed.

Wikipedia posted:

Under TABOR, state and local governments cannot raise tax rates without voter approval and cannot spend revenues collected under existing tax rates without voter approval if revenues grow faster than the rate of inflation and population growth. Revenue in excess of the TABOR limit, commonly referred to as the "TABOR surplus", must be refunded to taxpayers, unless voters approve a revenue change as an offset in a referendum.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, how are all these rear end in a top hat store owners going to even know a customer is gay before serving them? It was so much easier when they were black...

Here's my credit card, order form, and driver's license.

Oh, and on the back is a notarized hologram of me banging my wife.
youtubeoflastlinefromcluehere

Roumba fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 2, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

Taxpayer Bill of Rights laws have hosed over so many states. I wish it was possible to get them declared illegal by the supreme court.

This would be nice because education in Colorado is currently being squeezed to death thanks to TABOR.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This was apparently discussed in the drug legalization thread when the topic first came up in February, but it's come up again today and it seems worth bringing up in this thread...

Colorado lawmakers have been forced to send a question to the voters in order to hold on to the $60 million of marijuana taxes because their Taxpayer's Bill of Rights requires the state to send refund checks to all citizens if the state raises more money than they budget for, even though the marijuana tax itself has not been quite as successful as was originally thought.

That article posted:

“We’re still struggling to survive while losing the economic battle,” he said. “It’s just too high.”

The journalist had a fun time writing this one.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
As a Dutch person, I'd like to both laugh at you guys and offer you a sincere apology. Our most (in)famous politician, Geert Wilders, is going to visit your fair country to (presumably) throw some oil on several fires.

What brings Wilders to the States, you ask? Well, he was invited!

By whom, you ask? By Louie Gohmert and Steve King, of course!

From Geert's own little blog, I bolded the most hilarious/unbelievable part.

quote:

Geert Wilders MP, leader of the Dutch Party for Freedom (PVV), will hold two speeches in Washington DC in late April for members of the US Congress.

On Wednesday April 29th, he will speak at a reception offered to him by Congressman Louie Gohmert (R, TX).
That same day, he speaks at the invitation of Congressman Steve King (R, IA) at the breakfast meeting of members of the US Congress belonging to the renowned Conservative Opportunity Society, a group founded in 1984 by Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Wilders: "I feel deeply honored by the invitations. In my speeches I will warn my American colleagues of the dangers of Islamization."

After his visit to Washington, Geert Wilders travels to Garland, Texas, where on May 3rd he will give a speech and award a prize of $10,000 for the best Muhammad cartoon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

richardfun posted:

As a Dutch person, I'd like to both laugh at you guys and offer you a sincere apology. Our most (in)famous politician, Geert Wilders, is going to visit your fair country to (presumably) throw some oil on several fires.

What brings Wilders to the States, you ask? Well, he was invited!

By whom, you ask? By Louie Gohmert and Steve King, of course!

From Geert's own little blog, I bolded the most hilarious/unbelievable part.

Isn't this guy super racist? Is there some smoking gun of blatant racism that Americans might not know about that could be spread around to shame Gohmert and King?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't this guy super racist? Is there some smoking gun of blatant racism that Americans might not know about that could be spread around to shame Gohmert and King?

He is not a racist, muslims are not a race. :v:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

He is not a racist, muslims are not a race. :v:

Deporting all Muslims is an assault on religious freedom, we just have to point that out to Republicans and they'll reconsider

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

PostNouveau posted:

Just right off the bat, I don't think Gohmert and King know the meaning of the word shame.

As for Wilders, he is good friends with Pamela Gellar and Ayaan Hirshi Ali. And he is honored about being invited by Gohmert and King. What's that saying about 'the company you keep'?

Wilders always claims his crusade (heh) is against Islam, not any particular race. However, after an election last year, he did accidentally let his inside voice take over for a second.

He asked his xenophobic supporters if they wanted 'more or fewer Moroccans in the country'. Being the bigoted pricks they are, they started chanting 'fewer, fewer, fewer' at the top of their lungs. He replied by saying "then we're going to make that happen" (even though he can't, but what do the rubes know...?).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Deporting all Muslims is an assault on religious freedom, we just have to point that out to Republicans and they'll reconsider

"The only correct religion is my religion"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "What's going on right now between us and Israel used to be accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and thirty pieces of silver. We're truly looking at a Pontius Pilate President." ~ Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA).

(Don't think about his analogy too long. It makes no sense.)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sounds like Big Gay has international reach there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "What's going on right now between us and Israel used to be accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and thirty pieces of silver. We're truly looking at a Pontius Pilate President." ~ Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA).

Barack Obama has betrayed America into the power of... Barack Obama!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Like, OK, if Obama is Pilate, then who is Judas? John Kerry? And the Iranians are the priests of the Temple?

The person being betrayed in the story is Jesus, who is guess is represented by Israel here, which :lol:.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Obviously, Israel is the King of the Jews, and the only way we can complete their purpose on this earth is to crucify Israel so that all our sins can be forgiven.

I mean, Mr. Kelly does realize that the crucifixion and Judas' betrayal was necessary, right? Does he even understand his own religion?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 2, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

CommieGIR posted:

Does he even understand his own religion?

This is a rhetorical question, yeah?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This is a rhetorical question, yeah?

Yes.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ReindeerF posted:

Sounds like Big Gay has international reach there.

Yeah there's no getting around it.

Joementum posted:

Also this makes the US sound like a prostitute.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

Also this makes the US sound like a prostitute.

And we all know what Jesus thought of them :smuggo:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

Memories Pizza has been receiving death, arson, and bomb threats all day and is presently saying they may never open again, thus reminding us all that the real ideology of internet activists is "it's ok when I do it"

*Cue Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka* "No. Stop. Don't."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With the death of Misao Okawa, the world's oldest person is a Democrat who lives in Arkansas and voted for Obama twice. She would like him to attend her 117th birthday party, which is held on the 4th of July because she doesn't have an official birth record (much like someone else!!!).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

It makes sense. Gosh. Netanyahu is Jesus and Obama is washing his hands of him leaving his fate to the evil 9 year olds playing on the beech in Gaza.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

With the death of Misao Okawa, the world's oldest person is a Democrat who lives in Arkansas and voted for Obama twice. She would like him to attend her 117th birthday party, which is held on the 4th of July because she doesn't have an official birth record (much like someone else!!!).

I hope the president goes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So is there some sort of Republican Frank Luntz type of mandate that I'm not aware of? Because this quote is awfully familiar.

"Boehner posted:

"It’s just that the world is on fire."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

So is there some sort of Republican Frank Luntz type of mandate that I'm not aware of? Because this quote is awfully familiar.

He's just quoting his fav Smashmouth song.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quote:

Appearing yesterday on CNN, Senator Tom Cotton (R) urged critics of Indiana’s “religious freedom” law to get “perspective,” suggesting the treatment of LGBT people in Indiana compared favorably to countries where gay people are executed.
“I think it’s important we have a sense of perspective,” Cotton said. “In Iran they hang you for the crime of being gay.”

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God I love that response.

"Those fags should be happy that we don't just straight up execute them like SOME PEOPLE (awkwardly points to Iranian flag)"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Not true, Achmadenajad says there are no gay people in Iran. Your argument is a fallacy, Cotton.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I love that response.

"Those fags should be happy that we don't just straight up execute them like SOME PEOPLE (awkwardly points to Iranian flag)"

"At least we are not killing the gays like Iran......

....yet"
- Tom Cotton

I'm waiting for his next media quote

"At least we painlessly execute gays, compared to ISIS that throws them off buildings"
- Tom Cotton

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Obama does a (bad) Frank Underwood impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1Nmy4gZIk&t=239s

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

Wouldn't be surprised if he and a lot of his base would sincerely like to hang gays.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if he and a lot of his base would sincerely like to hang gays.

On that note, after Duke announced their opposition to Indiana's RFRA, a noose popped up on campus.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/01/noose-reported-bryan-center-plaza#.VR1hsfnF-30

Probably has more to do with racism, but either way, the fact that nooses are showing up says a lot about some of the people Tom Cotton and others represents.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Do you read the freep thread? They definitely do.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The point is: Tom Cotton is very concerned with whether gay men are hung.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

You feel discriminated against as a Christian and want a law to ensure your religious freedom? Well, let me tell you what they do to Christians in <insert bad country>. Maybe you just need to harden up?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

In which Obama does a (bad) Frank Underwood impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1Nmy4gZIk&t=239s

He is so loving likeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

You feel discriminated against as a Christian and want a law to ensure your religious freedom? Well, let me tell you what they do to Christians in <insert bad country>. Maybe you just need to harden up?

There is no discrimination against Christians in America. Comparing real discrimination to imaginary discrimination is not the same as comparing real discrimination to real-but-not-as-bad discrimination.

• Locked thread