Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Or Alan's left female belt buckle should be his male buckle and between them should be a female and a male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The important thing is that life find a way (to buckle itself in).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Heh heh ha heh... aarrrwwwwrraha ha ha hah... HA HA.. hah ha !!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

oddium posted:

Or Alan's left female belt buckle should be his male buckle and between them should be a female and a male
I don't really get what you're saying. In between them there are a female and a male, as the picture you posted shows. Given that in the middle there are two different buckles, the only way the buckles couldn't work would be if the two outside buckles were both the same as each other, so that in total there would be three of one and one of the other. But that would mean Ellie's outside buckle would be female, and since she is holding a male buckle on the inside she would have been able to buckle her seatbelt, which she didn't do, as the picture shows. Also, when Malcolm and Gennaro buckle their seatbelts they are holding the female buckles in their left hands and the male buckles in their right hands.

It's funny to me that people interpreted this scene another way when ever since I was a kid I saw it as being about how Alan doesn't get along well with technology (which was established at the dig scene), even "technology" as basic as a seatbelt, but he improvises solutions to get around his lack of tech savvy. Thanks for that screen grab that supports my interpretation, by the way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vogon Poet posted:

Here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFDxg4cbIw

Although it's hard to say for sure, the way I always interpreted it and what I think is the most straightforward is that he has two female buckles because he grabs his female buckle and Ellie's female buckle instead of his female and male buckles. Notice that Ellie is never shown to have a buckled seatbelt either. The seatbelts aren't defective (although yes, him "finding a way" using two female buckles is indeed a clever little visual metaphor).
Vindication! I knew I was remembering it right.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
Jurassic World - Buckle Up (2015)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vogon Poet posted:

I don't really get what you're saying. In between them there are a female and a male, as the picture you posted shows. Given that in the middle there are two different buckles, the only way the buckles couldn't work would be if the two outside buckles were both the same as each other, so that in total there would be three of one and one of the other. But that would mean Ellie's outside buckle would be female, and since she is holding a male buckle on the inside she would have been able to buckle her seatbelt, which she didn't do, as the picture shows. Also, when Malcolm and Gennaro buckle their seatbelts they are holding the female buckles in their left hands and the male buckles in their right hands.

I'm going to need a diagram to make up my mind on this...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The scene was actually a real blooper of actor Sam Neill failing at a simple task like a moron and it ended up in the final film as a gag by the editor. Spielberg was so angry he walked out of the premiere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

He would have walked out, if he could figure out how to unbuckle himself from the ride seats.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Things This Thread Can't Handle:

Genetic engineering
Dinosaurs
Corporations
Seatbelts

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jurassic park really made construction workers and construction helmets look really cool

ColoradoCleric fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 31, 2015

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Which leads to Michael Crichton Ian Malcolm leaving some :smug: sick burns about he is write, thank god for Jeff Goldblum because in the novel Ian is loving unbearable

At least in the book he dies.

Until he gets better for the sequel.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I think my favorite part of the first film is when Nedry and his guy are chatting at the cafe in Costa Rica. The piggish squeal he lets out when he sees the embryo canister is amazing. I think he deliberately makes his excitement more swine-like to foreshadow his demise at the tiny carnivorous dinosaurs near the climax.

Does anyone else think Nedry is supposed to be a sort of pig stand-in to compliment the other farm animals that get served up as dinner? I would say the lawyer is another part of the farm animal posse but he is described as "blood sucking" and I can't think of a domesticated animal that routinely sucks blood.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ServoMST3K posted:

I think my favorite part of the first film is when Nedry and his guy are chatting at the cafe in Costa Rica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4MUBQNbTYo&t=38s

Also for the longest time I thought the squeal was the barbasol can itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's what I thought too!

I also thought it was a can of whipped cream when I was a kid cause I had no idea shaving cream was a thing, and he puts it on the pie

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The biggest cocktease in cinema history is when he puts it on that pie but no one eats it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

In the grand scheme of product placement, that Barbasol can is pretty iconic. Pretty much no one born before like 1985 can look at a Barbasol can and not immediately associate it with Jurassic Park.

Off the top of my head I can't even think of another product where the moment I see it, I instantly think of a movie it's been in.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xenomrph posted:

In the grand scheme of product placement, that Barbasol can is pretty iconic. Pretty much no one born before like 1985 can look at a Barbasol can and not immediately associate it with Jurassic Park.

Off the top of my head I can't even think of another product where the moment I see it, I instantly think of a movie it's been in.
But do you think of Barbasol when you think of dinosaurs?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But do you think of Barbasol when you think of dinosaurs?
Not really.

So it's sort of reverse product placement I guess?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somebody turn the fact that the T-Rex scene in JP has a magically appearing cliff into a some kind of metaphor about how life finds a way.

Alternatively, draw a map that explains that scene to me because I still can't wrap my head around the location of the cliff in relation to where the T-Rex broke out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The movie is old enough and the internet has had plenty of time to bitch about everything ever made, let's see what they have:

(you can see the fence/elevation drop on the left where the explorer ends up getting flipped maybe?)

(gently caress yeah, maps of things)

And the relevant scene from the script:

quote:

36 EXT TYRANNOSAUR PADDOCK DAY

The two Explorers drive along a high ridge and stop at the edge
of the large, open plain that is separated from the road by a fifteen-
foot fence, clearly marked with "DANGER!" signs and ominous-looking
electrical post.

TIM, LEX, and GENNARO are pressed forward against the windows,
eyes wide, waiting for you-know-who.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 2, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That map is hilarious. Where did you get it and are there more?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

ServoMST3K posted:

I think my favorite part of the first film is when Nedry and his guy are chatting at the cafe in Costa Rica. The piggish squeal he lets out when he sees the embryo canister is amazing. I think he deliberately makes his excitement more swine-like to foreshadow his demise at the tiny carnivorous dinosaurs near the climax.

I always thought he sounded like a raptor.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I always thought he sounded like a raptor.
Same here. And now. Want Chris Pratt's raptor buddies have Nedry's DNA in them :allears:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

ServoMST3K posted:

Does anyone else think Nedry is supposed to be a sort of pig stand-in to compliment the other farm animals that get served up as dinner? I would say the lawyer is another part of the farm animal posse but he is described as "blood sucking" and I can't think of a domesticated animal that routinely sucks blood.

The lawyer dude is a sheep. Arnold is a goat. Muldoon is a shepherd or border collie. Dunno about Wu or Hammond.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The goat's severed leg falls on the Explorer - Arnold's severed arm falls on Sattler. It's perfect.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

And Gennaro's little jab at Lex about lamb chops foreshadows his own demise.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Xenomrph posted:

The Delorean DMC-12

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Danger posted:

The Delorean DMC-12

That one does work both ways, seeing the car makes me think of BttF, and seeing BttF makes me think of a DeLorean.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Urdnot Fire posted:

It rhymes :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Danger posted:

The Delorean DMC-12
Son of a bitch, that's a way better example and totally obvious. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Also for the longest time I thought the squeal was the barbasol can itself.

I thought that, too.

A few years ago I rented the movie from Netflix, and it made me realize just how much of it I didn't get when I first saw it. I was under the age of five, and it was one of my favorite movies (although it scared the crap out of me, and gave me nightmares for years to come), but I didn't really get the story outside of "dinosaurs eat people". I remembered the scenes well enough, but the first few minutes of the film before the dinosaurs came along were basically just a bunch of grownups talking about weird grownup stuff. I went though the motions of every scene, never fully understanding what was happening nor what anyone was saying, basically like being in a room full of adults talking about something serious and complex. I never really got the point of the opening scene with Nedry (I thought the guy he was talking to was Muldoon), and I thought the scene with the raptor transport had the raptor somehow sucking the one guy's arm through his stomach. Really, I could go on about all the scenes that I grossly misinterpreted when I was a kid because I was too young to really pay attention. It was interesting coming back to a movie I hadn't seen for years with a whole new perspective.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside

Urdnot Fire posted:

Stare-Out posted:

The goat's severed leg falls on the Explorer - Arnold's severed arm falls on Sattler. It's perfect.

Holy poo poo, these posts and the other responses just made my day. I don't think I've been as stupefied before by something so seemingly obvious but for some reason I never picked up on. Now I'm super hyped for World. Gonna wear my Timmy neckerchief to the premiere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xenomrph posted:

Reese's Pieces.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I don't think I've ever seen a can of shaving cream and thought "Jurassic Park."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Toady posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a can of shaving cream and thought "Jurassic Park."

Specifically Barbasol.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Pretty much no one born before like 1985

This is a pretty ridiculous assertion considering it was onscreen for maybe two minutes tops and everyone was watching Nedry in the only shot where you get a decent look at it.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Born in 1982, use barbasol, think of JP every time I shave.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I never realized it was shaving cream. Neither did any of my friends. I think it's because we're foreign devils that have never heard of Barbasol and because he does put it on pie. And we were, what, seven when the movie came out.

I could swear Nedry eats some of the cream from the can in the introductory scene, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are some weird things from Jurassic Park that I thought I remembered being present for the cinematic release, but not the VHS version. One of them was a short scene of Ellie actually grabbing the leaf that she has in the Brachiosaur reveal as the jeeps are going through the jungle. I could have sworn up and down that I saw this in theaters, but in retrospect, I think I probably imagined it from a production still I saw when I was seven or whatever. Another scene that I thought was edited down for VHS (but probably just imagined by me) was the first T-Rex reveal. I thought I remembered a couple additional seconds of the Rex chowing down on the flipped explorer. I probably would have forgotten all about this by now if not for the fact that one of my friends from grade school mentioned the same exact scenes I just described.

• Locked thread