Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

macnbc posted:

We should actually have a couple more left in the pipe. I think GOG said their deal was for around 30 games, and this latest wave brings the count to 24.

I thought Full Throttle was impossible to bring to modern CPUs because of the driving parts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Ballz posted:

I thought Full Throttle was impossible to bring to modern CPUs because of the driving parts...

Works just fine through ScummVM. By-and-large, old 3D PC games are a lot easier to get working on a modern PC than emulating a console game, because desktop PC architecture's largely unchanged since its inception.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Works just fine through ScummVM. By-and-large, old 3D PC games are a lot easier to get working on a modern PC than emulating a console game, because desktop PC architecture's largely unchanged since its inception.

Last I checked (but it was quite a few years ago) Full Throttle had issues and glitches even with ScummVM in the driving/fight parts.In fact, of all the Lucasrts games I have tried with ScummVM back then (including LOOM EGA, The DIG, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones 3 and 4), full throttle was the more glitchy by far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AbstractNapper posted:

Last I checked (but it was quite a few years ago) Full Throttle had issues and glitches even with ScummVM in the driving/fight parts.In fact, of all the Lucasrts games I have tried with ScummVM back then (including LOOM EGA, The DIG, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones 3 and 4), full throttle was the more glitchy by far.

Works just fine now, far as I can tell :shrug:. ScummVM actually patches and updates their stuff, you know.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

I beat The Dig and Full Throttle on a PSP running SCUMM back in 2006-2007 so either the bugs were patched or triggering them is uncommon.

I had the most trouble with the awful destruction derby puzzle and part of that may have been hardware related.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I saw someone get stuck in the derby portion, or at least temporarily stuck. Because of how lovely the controls are they had gotten the stalled car stuck riiiiight in the corner by the ramp and it wouldn't move, so they had to wait for the car to start up again and do it all over again.

As I have said before I just want a version of the game where the iMuse works correctly, the music either cuts out in key points in ScummVM or it speeds up and ends up de-syncing. Not a huge deal but much like the iMuse in TIE-Fighter it is one of the things that really adds to the game experience.

And dammit we really need Afterlife

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

BiggerJ posted:

Re: Full Throttle, the news posts says there'll be more Lucasarts releases in the near and far future. It's not like Disney has said "That's it, that's all you're getting, everything else wil be sat on until the heat-death of the universe, THE MOUSE HATH SPOKEN IA IA MICKEY FTHAGN."
Yeah, yeah, I know, but sometimes a little hyberbole helps ease the pent up patience.

We'll get it when we get it. It's just hardest to wait when you know you're almost there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Never heard of Zac MacKraken before, why is it overlooked?

It never caught on and became a franchise like many of the Lucasarts IP. I think it was overshadowed by MM too. I really liked it, though, it's very hard, and as discussed you can kill yourself and have to start over. Growing up, we had some Lucasarts bundle that had all the old SCUMM games in it, and this was the only one we couldn't beat. I think we even had a walkthrough for it, but for some reason even with that, we couldn't beat it. We also couldn't beat MM because we could never find that stupid brick in the dungeon to push and escape.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is that Sierra Conquests of the Longbow available online anywhere? Anywhere that isn't a :filez: site, I mean.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

Is that Sierra Conquests of the Longbow available online anywhere? Anywhere that isn't a :filez: site, I mean.

Forum rules say abandonware is okay and Abandonia immediately takes down their links when the games become commercially available.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 21, 2015

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK thanks - I found that with google but thought it was against the rules. Strange that that game has never reappeared on GOG or the like after all these years. I never finished it way back in the day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Both Conquests games are up for grabs on the site of their writer/designer.
http://www.christymarx.com/writing/camelot.htm
http://www.christymarx.com/writing/robin.htm

He's currently employed as...
"Principal Game Designer of Narrative Design for Zynga games from Dec. 2010 to present"

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
It's been years and years since I saw Outlaws on the shelves when it came out. I thought it looked great but I never got it. And now I can say it's is just as fantastic as I imagined it :allears:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

al-azad posted:

Here. Forum rules say abandonware is okay and Abandonia immediately takes down their links when the games become commercially available.
Thanks for this link. I remembered the site existed, but could not for the life of me remember the name.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Longhouse posted:

It's been years and years since I saw Outlaws on the shelves when it came out. I thought it looked great but I never got it. And now I can say it's is just as fantastic as I imagined it :allears:

Outlaws still has the most satisfying starting pistol of any 2.5 FPS. Reload to shuffle in two bullets, alt-fire to fan them all over the place :supaburn:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

al-azad posted:

Forum rules say abandonware is okay
Not any more they don't:

quote:

Warez, Emulation, and Grey Areas:

Don't link to or distribute illegal or shady stuff on SA. Easy.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SelenicMartian's links to Christy Marx's pages for the games seem pretty ok though, albeit I am not sure if he has actually the IP rights to provide links for the games or if the versions that he provides are actually playable.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SelenicMartian posted:

He's currently employed as...
"Principal Game Designer of Narrative Design for Zynga games from Dec. 2010 to present"

SHE is the creator of Jem and the Holograms you nooblet. :colbert:

Edit: It looks like the GOG version of Loom is the CD version, not the FM Towns version. So if that's a dealbreaker, hold out until they put the FM Towns version up.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 21, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
oh oops, he is a she (never was a he). :D

Yeah, I'm holding out on LOOM. I have the EGA version on floppies and the audio drama cassette. I just wouldn't mind getting my hands on the FM Towns version and I don't like the CD version much (other than the cut stuff, those added animations for the hand gestures are just garbage. What were they thinking?).

On the thread about the LOOM release over at GOG, there seems to be some hope that at least they will bundle the german EGA version with the Talkie, and maybe the English one will be next.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The FM Towns version is awesome except it's missing one really key scene: the visual when Bobbin takes off his hood.

I wish they'd bash together that scene with the rest of the FM Towns game and say "here you go guys, have at it." For the 10 of us who actually give a poo poo.

A few years ago before GOG came on the scene I was going to do a complete LP of the FM Towns version. I never did finish, but I slapped the audio drama on YouTube if anyone's interested.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does the FM Towns missing the scene because it has no in-game option to set the difficulty setting (like the original had before starting a new game - the bonus scene was available only if you were playing in the Expert mode)?

Because, there is a switch that you can set tp run the FM Towns in the expert difficulty (via ScummVM).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AbstractNapper posted:

Does the FM Towns missing the scene because it has no in-game option to set the difficulty setting (like the original had before starting a new game - the bonus scene was available only if you were playing in the Expert mode)?

Because, there is a switch that you can set tp run the FM Towns in the expert difficulty (via ScummVM).

Well gently caress. That was the problem before, and I was under the impression the assets were never created.

I'll let you know when I replay it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there a way to sort games on your shelf by OS availability? I just switched back to Linux on my netbook and checking one by one is kinda annoying.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is there a way to sort games on your shelf by OS availability? I just switched back to Linux on my netbook and checking one by one is kinda annoying.

No, but there's this: http://www.gog.com/mix/great_gog_games_that_works_on_linux

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Alongside the release of Pillars of Eternity today, there was a huge update to the Galaxy library. I have nearly 200 more games available than I did yesterday, mostly those that were "debundled" like Avernum games, Geneforge, Might & Magic and so on.

I am really happy with Galaxy so far, I just wish that they would allow Minimisation to Tray like Steam.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the only way to get Galaxy installed still through Alien vs. Predator?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

don't think so. i don't own alien vs. predator on gog,and i got into the galaxy alpha test.
some of the galaxy application links should still work, but you'd have to dig through the gog forums to find them.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

JustJeff88 posted:

Alongside the release of Pillars of Eternity today, there was a huge update to the Galaxy library. I have nearly 200 more games available than I did yesterday, mostly those that were "debundled" like Avernum games, Geneforge, Might & Magic and so on.

It doesn't have King's Quest 1 through 6 yet. Hopefully they're not finished yet and it wasn't an oversight.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Please gimme podracer

I don't care if they don't have power-ups, I just want watto singing galaxy bounce in the junkyard

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

If you're in the alpha test, you should have an entry for it in your library. It's a purple box with the gog logo.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Also Galaxy has all their Incredible Machine games except Contraptions (but still has Even More Contraptions for some reason).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

BiggerJ posted:

It doesn't have King's Quest 1 through 6 yet. Hopefully they're not finished yet and it wasn't an oversight.

About 5% of my personal library is still not showing up on Galaxy, so I am sure that KQ is coming. I can't imagine that they are not intending to post their whole library and post new releases as they come out, but Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Edit; Actually, I just noticed that King's Quest 1-3 and 4-6 were never "debundled" - I didn't realise to what you were making reference until now. They indeed aren't up on Galaxy yet, which is fine, but I just noticed that they are still in packs of 1-3 and 4-6 on my shelves at GOG.com. Space Quest and Police Quest, similar games in size, scope and title, are "unpacked" and individually downloaded now, but not King's Quest apart from 7 and 8. I wonder if this was an oversight, or deliberate?

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 27, 2015

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
GOG.com just gave me a copy of STALKER for free by typing in my boxed CD-key. Those guys!

http://www.gog.com/news/breclaim_your_gamesb_drmfree

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They've also launched a big week-long sale on games by our strange eastern cousins to celebrate the launch of their Russian-language site.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

GOG.com just gave me a copy of STALKER for free by typing in my boxed CD-key. Those guys!

http://www.gog.com/news/breclaim_your_gamesb_drmfree

That's an impressive initiative, and I applaud them for the attempt even if it goes nowhere.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Sea Dogs is on GOG now. Apparently that's pretty fun.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
I used to play the hell out of Sea Dogs when it came out. Hopefully they'll eventually release some of the later sequels, I don't think they all came out in the US.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sea Dogs 2 was released as a Pirates of the Caribbean tie in game which was pretty fun with mods because it was buggy as poo poo and needed to be fixed as mods if I remember right.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't know anything about Sea Dogs and I am not generally too big on maritime games, but I was happy to see Men of War. I hope that that means that the rest of the series is on the way.

Still disappointed about the other Indiana Jones adventure game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sea Dogs 2 was released as a Pirates of the Caribbean tie in game which was pretty fun with mods because it was buggy as poo poo and needed to be fixed as mods if I remember right.

Yeah I played that one a ton too, but there were more sequels made that I never played.

Fake edit: I just checked and the Russian only one I was thinking of was a fan-made sequel. Still don't think either of the Age of Pirates games ever got a digital release though.