Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Crime Scene is really good, it still has that focus of people trying to use logic and deduction to solve a thing. There's not really another show like The Genius though, most other Korean variety shows are either comedic or your standard Top Chef/American Idol ripoff.

Yeah the first case (ep 1 and 2) was really neat. Also Jinho still owns and still gets mocked for st-stu-stuttering. I'll definitely check out the rest of the season. Speaking of which, who is Henry and why is he such a weirdo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah the first case (ep 1 and 2) was really neat. Also Jinho still owns and still gets mocked for st-stu-stuttering. I'll definitely check out the rest of the season. Speaking of which, who is Henry and why is he such a weirdo?

Henry's antics are the worst part of the show and thankfully he soon leaves. Also the show gets much better around ep 6 when they switch format to doing a full crime in 1 episode.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Akarshi posted:

Hey all, any recommendations for recent K-dramas? It seems that Blood is pretty popular, but is it worth watching?

I've been enjoying Blood, and the semi recent remake of Liar Game was really good too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BSam posted:

I've been enjoying Blood, and the semi recent remake of Liar Game was really good too.

There's a Korean live action Liar Game? How does it compare to the manga?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

There's a Korean live action Liar Game? How does it compare to the manga?

I've not read the manga, but I found it vastly superior to the Japanese live action. If only because the characters are closer to actual people. (they tone down the comic books absurdness of the characters, but not completely)

The games are pretty much the same but the rest of the plot is a bit different and I'm hoping for more seasons.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
New music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abp8POBlUqo 피타입(P-Type)-돈키호테2(Feat. 바버렛츠)[Don Quixote2(Feat. The Barberettes)] fresh off sxsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-chbhdfEOA MV_PRIMARY&OHHYUK(프라이머리&오혁)_Bawling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-hW0eCnKQ [MV] PRIMARY(프라이머리), OHHYUK(오혁) _ Gondry(공드리) (Feat. Lim Kim(김예림)) Primary back from ghostwriting.

Its a stretch for Genius fans but try "Brain King Einstein".It's as if they stretched the brain training games on the DS into a game show. Sadly almost all episodes were wiped when Mega upload was taken down.

We went from idol involved in crash with drunk BF to nothing happened pretty quickly.

Seulgi will be on the School variety so we should get subs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BSam posted:

I've not read the manga, but I found it vastly superior to the Japanese live action. If only because the characters are closer to actual people. (they tone down the comic books absurdness of the characters, but not completely)

The games are pretty much the same but the rest of the plot is a bit different and I'm hoping for more seasons.

I've heard the Japanese version was at least an ok adaptation, so that sounds really promising.

e: Got around to watching the first episode. It took some liberties with the premise, but nothing bad so far. In the manga, she gets a suitcase with the money and a letter delivered to her door, and the letter, aside from describing the rules of the game, outright says that if she loses she has to personally pay back the deficit. Basically, the TV show/ thing is original to the show. I think it's a neat starting point though, even if it's no more believable than the manga's version.

Ultimately, I liked that first episode.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 26, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Somebody leaked the footage recorded of the conversation between Yewon and Lee Tae Im, and it shows Yewon repeatedly speaking informally to Lee Tae Im, even after she points it out to Yewon. That's when Lee Tae Im starts losing it with her, and then Yewon says poo poo about her too.

So... yeah.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I guess if you say the word "No" informally you deserve to get called a bitch and threatened with physical violence?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
"아니"

Anyways, I watched the latest Invisible Man on KBS World and I wonder if this was the last format change before the show got taken off. How do you want your ratings to go up if you keep "resetting" the whole thing every few episodes. Also Kang Hodong seems like a desperate man whose popularity is rapidly declining.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

qbert posted:

I guess if you say the word "No" informally you deserve to get called a bitch and threatened with physical violence?

It really is quite disrespectful in Korea and other Asian countries, though. It's almost like Yewon insulted her first, it's that important. Lee Tae Im blew her gasket certainly, but she was already really stressed and Yewon basically makes fun of her for having to go into the ice cold water.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Luckily her career is over now, and no senior will ever bear the indignity of a yo-less no again

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
The fact that it leaked is the bigger deal. I would be surprised if the leaker has any ties to the situation at all.

The initial concept was better on Invisible Man but the execution was borderline unprofessional. Their inability to maintain a worker's anonymity and ultimately package it as a punchline was pathetic. Kangnam , Taeho and the idol don't have speaking parts, much less screen time even when the content is stretched very thin . I'm not a fan of the talk battle segment especially at it's bloated 40 minute duration but framing it as a Star Golden Bell/Hello Councilor mash-up has only made it worse. It's a public variety, play to your strengths.

Was this Andy's return to variety after his gambling scandal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna90t2je-4 [Crayon Pop] 크레용팝 'FM' M/V

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

TEHJOE posted:

The initial concept was better on Invisible Man but the execution was borderline unprofessional. Their inability to maintain a worker's anonymity and ultimately package it as a punchline was pathetic. Kangnam , Taeho and the idol don't have speaking parts, much less screen time even when the content is stretched very thin . I'm not a fan of the talk battle segment especially at it's bloated 40 minute duration but framing it as a Star Golden Bell/Hello Councilor mash-up has only made it worse. It's a public variety, play to your strengths.

Borderline unprofessional? Nobody prepared for it at all, and that seems to be how they approach everything. It's really wearing. But yeah, I'm still watching, partly to squirm in embarassment for them, and partly because every once in a while something is really funny, almost by accident.

At least in this week's talk battle, we got to hear some women tell stories, even if they had to go to a company that was 95% women to do it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Highblood posted:

"아니"

Anyways, I watched the latest Invisible Man on KBS World and I wonder if this was the last format change before the show got taken off. How do you want your ratings to go up if you keep "resetting" the whole thing every few episodes. Also Kang Hodong seems like a desperate man whose popularity is rapidly declining.

It really does feel that way, which is sad. It used to be him and YJS battling it out for the top spot, with Kang Ho-Dong being considered the more popular of the two for the longest time. Then that tax scandal happened and he had to not work for a while, and now that he's back he just can't get a show to stick.

YJS's reign is pretty much undisputed at this point, and that's probably why he seems to try extra hard to be squeaky clean in his personal life, because he sees how career ending the smallest incidents can be.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

No, Lee Tae Im's outburt was uncalled for. I'm just wondering if anything is going to happen now, because it seems like people knew Yewon did something wrong, and claimed otherwise.

Selane
May 19, 2006

qbert posted:

It really does feel that way, which is sad. It used to be him and YJS battling it out for the top spot, with Kang Ho-Dong being considered the more popular of the two for the longest time. Then that tax scandal happened and he had to not work for a while, and now that he's back he just can't get a show to stick.

YJS's reign is pretty much undisputed at this point, and that's probably why he seems to try extra hard to be squeaky clean in his personal life, because he sees how career ending the smallest incidents can be.

Well, you don't really need to 'try' very hard to not be a tax-evading criminal, but he seems like a pretty cool guy regardless.

As some people have been pointing out in articles about him, part of Kang Hodong's problem is his antiquated MCing style LOL IM GONNA SCREAM REAL LOUD ABOUT EVERYTHING LOLOLOL!!11! He's basically the reason why I didn't even give that show a chance and haven't watched even a single second of it. gently caress that annoying rear end in a top hat.

And hopefully what people take from this Yewon thing is that Dispatch are a bunch of sleazy assholes like all paparazzi are. Their creepy 'Suzy went to a hotel with a guy AND HAD SEX WITH HIM!!!' poo poo isn't any better.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Of course he was desperate, the show was canceled that week.

I realize the YJS comparisons are inevitable, but they are a disservice to both men and hamper discourse. While certainly on another level, YJS is facing similar problems to KHD. Running Man has become stale and finishes third behind both Real Men and Superman. Infinity Challenge has lost two members and faces a steep task in finding a new member. I am a Man really didn't fit YJS style and remains on hiatus.With no current variety heir or competition YJS gets a bit of a pass.

I understand local viewers hating KHD's MCing but I tend to think the majority of international fans are bandwagon jumpers.The fact that he's yelling is completely lost when reading subs. One can certainly call his MCing old fashioned but the idea that Korean variety has innovated and passed him by is silly.

KHD is a man stuck chasing copycat concepts. While he deserves 100% of the hate regarding his tax scandal the majority of his shows were broken from the start. His costars are SM idols getting their feet wet. His comeback show was a book club variety.Things aren't all his fault.

Besides, everyone knows that Shin Dong Yup is the best.

What is YJS new show It's Ok supposed to be about?

I am somewhat surprised that the Suzy scandal leaked. I always thought she was one of KPOP's untouchables.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

His "tax scandal" was actually dismissed and was due to clerical error.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010

TEHJOE posted:

I understand local viewers hating KHD's MCing but I tend to think the majority of international fans are bandwagon jumpers.The fact that he's yelling is completely lost when reading subs.

This part confuses me. Even though international fans are reading subtitles to understand foreign media, it does not prevent them from hearing his voice, which can be really very grating to listen to, or watching how he MCs a show. I have never liked hearing him or never liked his MCing style, prior to hearing of this KHD-hate bandwagon, and I never give a show a proper chance because he's there. Even though variety shows tend to have some of the cast doing overreactions, I always felt KHD's overreaction was too much and aggravating. I just don't loud people in general and KHD just happens to be one of those people.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

TEHJOE posted:

What is YJS new show It's Ok supposed to be about?

Soompi

quote:

The new show aims to solve problems between teens going through puberty and their parents. While the show will be hosted by Yoo Jae Suk and Kim Gu Ra, Ji Suk Jin and AOA‘s Jimin have been confirmed as regular members for the show.

Eh, doesn't sound interesting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

No, Lee Tae Im's outburt was uncalled for. I'm just wondering if anything is going to happen now, because it seems like people knew Yewon did something wrong, and claimed otherwise.

I read is as Yewon was being silly, you know like she was on a variety show where teasing someone about to do something they don't want (like get into freezing cold water) is one of the first things you learn. But it just went south in a huge loving way because the person she was trying to play against was at the end of her rope due to lovely working conditions.

It's one of those situations where you really need to see the whole thing, not just a few moments right before things explode, in order to really understand what was going on.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcblxEZFM8

Air humping dance move. Funny.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is it a norm for variety shows to used lots of American music from random sources? I distinctly remember the Bourne theme and 'Young and Beautiful' from the Genius, and I'm on the last episode of Crime Scene and some of the bg music from Borderlands is playing over the site inspection.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, they have the broadest and strangest taste in music for their shows and it's great.

Everything from the Inspector Gadget theme to the Beach Boys.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
And they loving LOVE American professional wrestling.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
I imagine that it's not financially viable to chase down Korean variety shows for copyright violations. On the other hand they tape over the logos on peoples hats and coats. I imagine they are completely aware and just take advantage of how blurry copyright law is in SE Asia.

Copyright holders may have acquiesced and offered very cheap access to their songs to areas unlikely to pay royalties on in the first place.

In late 2006 they amended their copyright law to allow foreign producers to claim remuneration for their works being used on broadcasts.I imagine that this was just setting the ground for the Korean-US free trade agreement in 2007 and was quickly worked around.

Fight! For your kite! fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 2, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Really? Huh.

TEHJOE posted:

I imagine that it's not financially viable to chase down Korean variety shows for copyright violations. On the other hand they tape over the logos on peoples hats and coats. I imagine they are completely aware and just take advantage of how blurry copyright law is in SE Asia.

Copyright holders may have acquiesced and offered very cheap access to their songs to areas unlikely to pay royalties on in the first place.

In late 2006 they amended their copyright law to allow foreign producers to claim remuneration for their works being used on broadcasts.I imagine that this was just setting the ground for the Korean-US free trade agreement in 2007 and was quickly worked around.

That seemed like the case. They made drat good use of the music in The Genius so I'm not complaining.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
:toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13A9AiRjG84

Good lord, no wonder this got taken off. What is this mess? Does this even qualify as a variety show anymore? Where's my funny? (not implying it used to be funny, but at least they were trying). I seriously thought this was an april fools joke. Do koreans even have april fools?
Wouldn't make sense anyways since this already aired way before us in korea.
I think I could enjoy a show like this if it were done properly but in this case it really makes no sense, it shouldn't even be called Invisible Man.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

ViggyNash posted:

Is it a norm for variety shows to used lots of American music from random sources? I distinctly remember the Bourne theme and 'Young and Beautiful' from the Genius, and I'm on the last episode of Crime Scene and some of the bg music from Borderlands is playing over the site inspection.

Weird Al's "Harvey the Wonder Hamster" during a recent Running Man. For a while someone was an 80s Thrash metal fan playing some b-side Megadeth stuff. I think Hocus Pocus by Focus came out at least once, but it's now famous for being obscure and crazy so it's not that super odd.

I think a BGM director for one of these shows might just be the greatest job ever.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Highblood posted:

I think I could enjoy a show like this if it were done properly but in this case it really makes no sense, it shouldn't even be called Invisible Man.

It's actually much closer to what I expected the show was going to be when I first heard about it, showing and experiencing the hardship of korean workers with non-prestigious, but important jobs who are socially "invisible men" and making their day a bit brighter.
Was quite the letdown when the first episode rolled around and they just played clowns in an office. But apparently they couldn't have made something more entertaining with the other concept either.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqLnkcjZmQ 마마무 (MAMAMOO) - AHH OOP! (아훕!) MV
http://streamable.com/yzzm?t=25.2 KARA's new jpop release

It's hard to make a concept like that work for the long term.Half the cast had checked out from the start and Kangnam was barely able to carry the rest of the show on his own. They should of focused on Sung Jae's initial amazement or KHD's pain patches as storyline starters. They neglected the "How is it Made" aspect almost entirely, using it as a narrative tool only. Somewhat surprised that they gave the foreign workers that much screen time.

The whistling throughout the show was the worst.

The Human Condition is taking it's place. It's been pulling similarly low ratings so i doubt it will be permanent.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Silvain posted:

Eh, doesn't sound interesting.

I thought the same about Abnormal summit, but it was actually quite enjoyable to me, discussing a lot of societal issues and informing me about other countries. In America we only see teenagers pop up on T.V. when their lives have gone completely off the rails by either committing crimes, becoming addicted to drugs, getting pregnant etc. I imagine the new YJS show will have its share of major issues like that, but I think it'd be interesting to just see some intervention to improve communication and relationships between teens and their parents before things become really bad. You also have the added wrinkle of it being set in an entirely different culture, so there will be times when there's a problem or issue that simply doesn't exist in our culture or is considered normal by our standards.

I'm a big YJS fan anyway though, so I may be biased.

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, Running Man has a fair amount of wrestling music pop up on it. My favorite has to be Brock Lesnar's theme playing when Kim Jong Kook does a feat of strength or threatens someone. Other wrestler's themes show up too, but it's usually at a completely random time. Off the top of my head, I'm reasonably sure I've heard HHH's theme, DX's theme, Hulk Hogan's theme, and Stone Cold's theme. They do korean-style wrestling at mud flats fairly often, that's when you're most likely to hear a prograps theme.

American music popping up on Korean shows is absolutely constant, and I love that. Hearing Extreme Ways or the Pacific Rim theme during the Genius was always a highlight.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So I just finished Crime Scene, which was a really fun ride, and I noticed that the second season started airing a few days ago. How long do these things generally take to get subbed, or do people just sub them in batches once the show is done airing?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The best subber of Korean T.V., outside of subs through Dramafever, is Bumdidlyumptious (who is doing the lord's work and is a nuna we should all send our thanks to).

She typically subs each episode of the series she picks up shortly after their initial airing, anywhere from a few days to a week later. Series she has subbed so far include Genius, Crime Scene and Abnormal Summit, along with shorter things like interviews, trailers and the like. I expect Crime Scene episodes to take awhile due to their length and the overall vastness of stuff to translate in addition to spoken language (labels of items in each room, what they write on the blackboard, text messages/notes, etc.). According to her twitter she was halfway done with the first episode yesterday though, so expect it soon.

You can best get updates on her progress through her twitter here: https://twitter.com/bumdidlyump

Episodes will typically be added to her tumblr here: http://bxrme.tumblr.com/

If they aren't on the tumblr you can probably find a link to them through her tweets or googling around, but I don't see why things would change now.

Hope this helps anyone who's interested in Crime Scene! Thanks for the tip about Crime Scene too, I really enjoyed the first season and season two with Dongmin should be ~amazing~. We should give it its own thread, or just discuss it in the Genius thread which I think is what we did last season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 4, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I think it might be worth it to create a new "Korean 'Brain' TV Thread" dedicated to The Genius, Crime Scene and any other similar themed variety shows, since people tend to complain sometimes when a new show gets talked about in one of the dedicated threads.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
First episode of Crime Scene is up

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Teek posted:

I think it might be worth it to create a new "Korean 'Brain' TV Thread" dedicated to The Genius, Crime Scene and any other similar themed variety shows, since people tend to complain sometimes when a new show gets talked about in one of the dedicated threads.

I think everyone is fine with the Genius thread being the "Korean brainy TV" thread though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NowonSA posted:

season two with Dongmin

Oh my god.

And Jiyoon and Jinho are still there.

OH MY GOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Corn Thongs posted:

I think everyone is fine with the Genius thread being the "Korean brainy TV" thread though.

Might be worth it to get a Mod to rename the Genius thread then. Something like:

"Korean Brain TV: The Genius, Crime Scene and other mind games"

• Locked thread