Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My group of riding bros and broettes have a "I have to pee in the bushes" hand signal. It is:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Guy was sizing up "his gurrll" for a leather jacket the other day. He didn't want any of our help. "No, babe, you want it to fit loose. I usually wear a large, but I needed a 2XL in leathers. poo poo was way too tight. You want plenty of room in there." The weather this time of year is great. The idiots are not.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

clutchpuck posted:

My group of riding bros and broettes have a "I have to pee in the bushes" hand signal. It is:

This is the universal signal for "bee in my helmet" as well. And let me tell you, it blows when you're on a shoulderless road with a few miles between turnouts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marv Hushman posted:

This is the universal signal for "bee in my helmet" as well. And let me tell you, it blows when you're on a shoulderless road with a few miles between turnouts.

Didn't Silver have a signal for that?

edit: Or was that the signal?

edit: Nope.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 25, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I immensely appreciate that Ixon designed a jacket that has an inside pocket on the removable rainproof liner. This means I can put my phone in my pocket and have it still work after riding through a torrential downpour. But I don't understand why they chose to make the pocket have Velcro at the mouth, when the opening points straight up and it's on the inside of the jacket. I also don't understand why they then selected Velcro that holds stronger than the threads holding the pocket itself to the liner.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I immensely appreciate that Ixon designed a jacket that has an inside pocket on the removable rainproof liner. This means I can put my phone in my pocket and have it still work after riding through a torrential downpour. But I don't understand why they chose to make the pocket have Velcro at the mouth, when the opening points straight up and it's on the inside of the jacket. I also don't understand why they then selected Velcro that holds stronger than the threads holding the pocket itself to the liner.

:cripes:

Nothing quite like an almost-perfect design feature that fails in the dumbest ways.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marv Hushman posted:

This is why my visor is closed 90% of the time. I only had to have it happen once.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Minkee posted:

This is why my visor is closed 90% of the time. I only had to have it happen once.

This was a Warren Commission Magic Bee that bounced off the edge of a slightly opened visor and lodged in my temple area. I couldn't sketch the trajectory and make it believable if I tried.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I managed to get a bee lodged pretty firmly inside one of the top vents on my helmet a couple of weeks ago. Those fucks will find whatever gap they can to get at you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

:cripes:

Nothing quite like an almost-perfect design feature that fails in the dumbest ways.

It's made all the more baffling by the fact that the pocket on the thermal liner has a much more sensible stretchy elastic thingy instead of Velcro.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was on my way to work and i was getting off the freeway today, and was making a left turn into the lanes. This other guy on the opposite side was getting off too, and exiting right. I'm halfway in the intersection when he decides to go and cut me off, forcing me to slow way down. We go forward and his car alone made it so I can't get into the turn lanes to make the turn down the road for my work.:mad: of course the turn signals never go for just bikes.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ephphatha posted:

I managed to get a bee lodged pretty firmly inside one of the top vents on my helmet a couple of weeks ago. Those fucks will find whatever gap they can to get at you.

I had my visor open about a half in a few months back and had a bee miss the visor and my helmet and die upon impact with my cheek. I thought someone kicked up a rock or some because of how much it hurt. I will never ride with the visor open more than a crack small enough to whistle at speed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coming home today I had to follow behind a guy on a harley with a head hunters jacket dragging his feet doing walking pace through the cars. Eventually, after an agonising few kilometers, we get to a light. We both split up to the front and I sidle up beside him and there I am thinking 'this oval office is going to hold me up for the next ten k's because his machismo bullshit stops him from just letting me through and the hyoshit is too slow to drag one of those off, not to mention if I insult him that way ten of his mates will come to my house, kill me and rape my cat' but then the light turned green and he stalled.

Best commute ever. Probably wrong thread.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, best (kinda surprising/not surprising) ending ever.

I went past a DeLorean done up as Back to the Future time machine (twice) on my commute home today. Today was a good day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder if it's possible to own a DeLorean and not be a huge BTTF nerd.

On second thought that's probably the only reason anyone would want a DeLorean.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Pretty much. A stock DeLorean is a pretty terrible car.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I love DeLoreans but hate BTTF conversions and want a stock looking one (but with a not lovely engine and the suspension lowered back down to the height of the Euro version of the car). BTTF nerds annoy me because they're always making GBS threads up a nice looking Giugiaro-designed sports car.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

El Jebus posted:

I had my visor open about a half in a few months back and had a bee miss the visor and my helmet and die upon impact with my cheek. I thought someone kicked up a rock or some because of how much it hurt. I will never ride with the visor open more than a crack small enough to whistle at speed.

I managed to hit a whole swarm of bees on a freeway in middle-of-nowhere Texas. I thought it was a huge clump of dirt at first (truck had just darted across the freeway in front of me) but then I noticed my visor was really...uh...gooey. I probably hit ~100 bees. Covered head to toe in guts and shells, and I was fishing carcasses out of bike crevices for weeks.

For months afterward I'd be sitting at a light and a single bee would happen to fly by and I *swear* they could tell I had murdered their kin en masse.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The yellow jackets especially love bug guts. Every trip I take, by halfway through the first day they are swarming me until I get my gut-smeared jacket and pants off. I've caught a few licking up remnants from my headlight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

I love DeLoreans but hate BTTF conversions and want a stock looking one (but with a not lovely engine and the suspension lowered back down to the height of the Euro version of the car). BTTF nerds annoy me because they're always making GBS threads up a nice looking Giugiaro-designed sports car.

I'm this but with falcon coupes and mad max conversions.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Whelp, I finally injured myself with the bike!

Like a complete moron, I decided it would be a genius loving idea to adjust my clutch cable after starting the bike to make sure it was working correctly. While fiddling around where the cable secures near the clutch arm, two of my fingers straightened up underneath the exhaust heat shield and came to rest on the exhaust header.

Stupid stupid stupid :bang:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
FIRE HOT! I've done that. At least I didn't do it when I tried to save the clutch cable from melting all over the red hot header.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
When I was a wee lad my father and his buddy were out in the woods cutting and splitting firewood for the winter. We had rented one of those fancy hydraulic splitters and the solemn duty of taking care of the machine and operating the piston was assigned to me by my father, who made it very clear he wanted to keep all of his fingers.

Anyway, being 5 years old, and having such an awesomely powerful machine entrusted to me, I made sure to learn everything I could about it. My father cautioned me not to touch anything but the control devices because everything else was hot or liable to hurt me. Well, ever inquisitive, during a break (machine off) I started touching things with my hand, saying "That's not hot, that's not hot, that's not hot <touches muffler> OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :stonk:" Once it was ascertained that I had not suffered crippling injury I was berated by a muttering father and instructed to keep my hand in his icewater cup until he and his buddy finished filling the truck bed.

Since then my "burn reflex" reaction time has been nothing short of precognitive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

Since then my "burn reflex" reaction time has been nothing short of precognitive.

What are you some sort of Savant? I have to burn myself a least once a season to get back in the swing of things.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid stupid stupid :bang:

Bright side of life: irrefutable evidence that this cylinder is firing...

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
My husband came out to greet me after I got home one day. I was off my bike and he was wearing shorts, and basiscally backed into my exhaust.

He still has a scar (a big one) and it's been about a year.

That poo poo be hot, yo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My front tire is leaking :(

Filled up this morning and checked the tire pressures while I was at it. 1.4 bar in the front. Fill it up to 2.2. Ride on.

Coming back the bike feels a bit squirrely so I check the pressure again and it's fallen to 1.5. :mad:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lynza posted:

My husband came out to greet me after I got home one day. I was off my bike and he was wearing shorts, and basiscally backed into my exhaust.

He still has a scar (a big one) and it's been about a year.

That poo poo be hot, yo.

The one thing that took me forever to understand is that motorcycles have short length exhausts and that means they get extra, extra loving hot in the places you can physically run into the exhaust pipe. It's the same level of heat production as your car's engine except the exhaust ends at the equivalent of the driver's seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ZYxLdR5bo

Also if you don't tune your 848 correctly when swapping to your Termignoni exhaust you can also shoot flames out of it's rear end! :madmax:

Edit:

Collateral Damage posted:

My front tire is leaking :(

Filled up this morning and checked the tire pressures while I was at it. 1.4 bar in the front. Fill it up to 2.2. Ride on.

Coming back the bike feels a bit squirrely so I check the pressure again and it's fallen to 1.5. :mad:

See if you can find someone who can dismount and remount the tire for you after giving the wheel rim a decent cleaning. Sometimes dirt can cause a poor seal between the tire and the wheel. Also, valve stems are cheap so you might not have the worst case scenario!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ripoff posted:

See if you can find someone who can dismount and remount the tire for you after giving the wheel rim a decent cleaning. Sometimes dirt can cause a poor seal between the tire and the wheel. Also, valve stems are cheap so you might not have the worst case scenario!
Hm, I've been riding some dirt roads recently so it's very possible that there's crud stuck between tire and rim. Gonna paint the edge of the rim and the valve with soapy water and see if I can find the leak.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
There might also be something stuck in the thread of the tire, or there's a crack in the valve (wiggle the valve a bit to see). Can't hurt to look.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Collateral Damage posted:

Hm, I've been riding some dirt roads recently so it's very possible that there's crud stuck between tire and rim. Gonna paint the edge of the rim and the valve with soapy water and see if I can find the leak.

I had an inconsistent slow leak on a front tire recently - on a new tire, even - and the soap spray trick revealed nothing. A new valve core fixed it.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Ripoff posted:

The one thing that took me forever to understand is that motorcycles have short length exhausts and that means they get extra, extra loving hot in the places you can physically run into the exhaust pipe. It's the same level of heat production as your car's engine except the exhaust ends at the equivalent of the driver's seat.

We got one of those IR thermometer thingies. Turns out my header sits at about 430F, with my exhaust pipe at about 250.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ripoff posted:

Also if you don't tune your 848 correctly when swapping to your Termignoni exhaust you can also shoot flames out of it's rear end! :madmax:

I don't see anything incorrect about this at all

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Check your valve core before anything else.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress. One of the exhaust valves on our 250 is stuck open. Was doing a valve check when I noticed this valve had zero clearance; tossed on the smallest shim I had and still no clearance at all. Then I noticed a piece of the the lip on the camshaft cracked off (probably due to the cams not being able to push the valve down). Last valve adjustment was supposedly done by the dealer 5k miles ago. Judging by how everything was out of spec I'm guessing they didn't actually do it.

Bleh.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Got pulled over this morning for standing on my pegs while riding.

What annoys me most is that this is the second time that a cop has literally pulled a 180 in the middle of the road to change direction and pull me over on the bike. Though, in all fairness, last time was slightly more understandable as I was doing twice the posted speed limit

Thankfully he just let me off with a warning about how unsafe that kind of behavior is, though he made me late for work in the process :(

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got pulled over this morning for standing on my pegs while riding.

What annoys me most is that this is the second time that a cop has literally pulled a 180 in the middle of the road to change direction and pull me over on the bike. Though, in all fairness, last time was slightly more understandable as I was doing twice the posted speed limit

Thankfully he just let me off with a warning about how unsafe that kind of behavior is, though he made me late for work in the process :(

Because it's safer to not have blood flow to your limbs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I am a habitual peg stander, because my knees get sore quickly, never even thought about getting stopped for it.

Some people do give you a wide berth when you stand, presumably because they think I'm going to do a big standup wheelie? I ride a versys, so lmao at the thought of freeway standup wheelies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Standing up is a great way to suddenly and unexpectedly terrify every single person driving a car within viewing distance of you. I do it whenever people are driving around me like assholes and they almost always back off, slow down, or try to get away from me.

I think they just don't know what you're planning and have no idea that needing to stretch is a thing.