Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Alain Post posted:

so how the hell is this going to work with the BD sprites that are edits of the actual Doom sprites (unless he completely redid all the animations for FreeDoom's sprites)

New sprites based off of Romero's recent raw sprite-dump, along with all the cut reverse-facing sprites that Doom couldn't do back in the day due to RAM limitations.

You could say that it's more Doom than Doom.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Max Wilco posted:

I know it's not really an Early FPS, but while we're on the topic, are the PC ports of Halo 1 & 2 any good? I found an article on PC Gamer that shows you how to get Halo 1 running on Win7, but I've heard Halo 2 is still tied into GFWL.

Halo 1 works perfectly fine on Win8 as far as I can tell, but Halo 2 is really finicky. Some people can play it fine, some people have to disable GFWL with a hack or it breaks horribly. Besides this, it runs perfectly fine, and it's a decent enough port. If yours runs with GFWL, you can even still play the multiplayer with some diehard nerds.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Oh please let this be a hint of a Heretic remake or new game in the Heretic/Hexen series or something. Heretic is probably my favorite classic FPS, I love the bestiary and armory and feel of the game so much.

I've been playing through Heretic again with the Chaos Uprising mod, it's a lot of fun although the weapons feel very overpowered. Just started Episode 4 and drat I forgot how difficult it is, even with the modified weapons.

Worth checking out if you're a Heretic fan:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=45018

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Alain Post posted:

so how the hell is this going to work with the BD sprites that are edits of the actual Doom sprites (unless he completely redid all the animations for FreeDoom's sprites)

He's including every single monster sprite, edited and otherwise. So people playing it with Freedoom see the typical Doom monsters.

Technically it's illegal as hell, but I'm pretty sure nobody's going to bite.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think Brazil understands copyright laws, so it's not like anything would happen even if Bethseda/the corpse of Id decide they care.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, why are we suddenly up in arms about Brutal Doom containing some ripped sprites? Because last I checked, we were happily talking about the equally standalone AMC TC, which is 99% textures, sounds and sprites from other games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dominic White posted:

So, why are we suddenly up in arms about Brutal Doom containing some ripped sprites? Because last I checked, we were happily talking about the equally standalone AMC TC, which is 99% textures, sounds and sprites from other games.

Because the developers of the AMC TC haven't shown themselves to be racist weirdos yet. (edit for real answer: Brutal Doom will always be ripped on because Sgt Mark is kind of nuts, but also because it's really popular and some of the people who like it are aggressive with how much they like it.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I think some dude was extremely concerned that id software would shut down the Doom modding community over a copyright claim or whatever

Like the idea is that id hasn't given a poo poo about all the other ip violation in the community but as soon as they take a sprite of an imp or whatever the gauntlet is going to come the gently caress down

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Dominic White posted:

So, why are we suddenly up in arms about Brutal Doom containing some ripped sprites?

I don't think answering a question counts as "suddenly up in arms".

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think part of it is that AMC TC doesn't sell itself as "More Duke than Duke 3D" and isn't heralded as the only to play Duke 3D by half the internet. Brutal Doom is very popular and very visible, so there's a way higher chance that Bethseda can start to take notice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, I think the problem comes in when it starts billing itself as a replacement for the original.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

here i am, playing daikatana again. Mostly to subject friends to the horror of coop.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Shut up nerds, because it's April Fools day and me and some good goon friends played the most appropriate game for the holiday, DAIKATANA:

Here we are engaging in an epic struggle against a mighty lich/grandma, who is made out of roughly 30 polygons:

In this screenshot, Hiro and the gang successfully tricked the ice-wizard into climbing his greatest foe...the blurry-textured dead tree:

Also we fought a future-alcatraz prisoner and his twenty clones in future-alcatraz:

They wore very nice bell bottoms.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I keep my N64 copy of Daikatana prominently displayed in my living room so that anyone who comes to my apartment will immediately know that I am a man of Taste and Character

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ChickenHeart posted:

Shut up nerds, because it's April Fools day and me and some good goon friends played the most appropriate game for the holiday, DAIKATANA:

Here we are engaging in an epic struggle against a mighty lich/grandma, who is made out of roughly 30 polygons:

In this screenshot, Hiro and the gang successfully tricked the ice-wizard into climbing his greatest foe...the blurry-textured dead tree:

Also we fought a future-alcatraz prisoner and his twenty clones in future-alcatraz:

They wore very nice bell bottoms.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

here i am, playing daikatana again. Mostly to subject friends to the horror of coop.

Doing god's work there :)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My favorite part was killing that lich and finding out what his skeletor staff did.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I...I really like Daikatana. Episodes 2 and 3 are fantastic and are a must-play for anyone if you disable the partners with DK 1.3 or the co-op trick. Those two episodes are what I've always wanted in a Hexen game; lots of action, cool ancient worlds, weird but nifty magical weapons, skulls on lots of textures, and a gloomy medieval world without bullshit item and switch hunts. Hell, you can easily pretend you're one of the Hexen classes if you want to add to the Hexen experience because the futuristic poo poo in Episode 1 plays no part in Episodes 2 and 3.

Even the other two episodes have their ups and downs. Episode 1 has some of the worst level design I've ever seen in a published game, but the weapons are awesome in multiplayer. Episode 4's Alcatraz segment is good and it has plenty of delicious buttmetal.

I recently finished a solo Hard difficulty run, and it was very good once you got past Episode 1. If you use the leveling system, you can become hilariously overpowered to the point where even the most powerful enemies in Episode 4 will die in a second or so.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

closeted republican posted:

I...I really like Daikatana. Episodes 2 and 3 are fantastic and are a must-play for anyone if you disable the partners with DK 1.3 or the co-op trick. Those two episodes are what I've always wanted in a Hexen game; lots of action, cool ancient worlds, weird but nifty magical weapons, skulls on lots of textures, and a gloomy medieval world without bullshit item and switch hunts. Hell, you can easily pretend you're one of the Hexen classes if you want to add to the Hexen experience because the futuristic poo poo in Episode 1 plays no part in Episodes 2 and 3.

Even the other two episodes have their ups and downs. Episode 1 has some of the worst level design I've ever seen in a published game, but the weapons are awesome in multiplayer. Episode 4's Alcatraz segment is good and it has plenty of delicious buttmetal.

I recently finished a solo Hard difficulty run, and it was very good once you got past Episode 1. If you use the leveling system, you can become hilariously overpowered to the point where even the most powerful enemies in Episode 4 will die in a second or so.

Ugh, sick.....

Not really. I've actually never got to play it because I never had a PC that could run it and by the time I did, it had been out of print. I've watched play troughs of it and now that it's available digitally, I may have to do something about it :unsmigghh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

closeted republican posted:

I...I really like Daikatana. Episodes 2 and 3 are fantastic and are a must-play

Haha, nice April Fool's!

e: I couldn't beat the first level without running into a crash or bug or getting exploded for all my health for some reason. gently caress Daikatana.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Haha, nice April Fool's!

e: I couldn't beat the first level without running into a crash or bug or getting exploded for all my health for some reason. gently caress Daikatana.

Oh, that just sounds like you used some kind of weapon. They're pretty much meant to do that (well, maybe not the crashing part).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

Oh, that just sounds like you used some kind of weapon.
Daikatana: A Game For Lovers

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Ugh, sick.....

Not really. I've actually never got to play it because I never had a PC that could run it and by the time I did, it had been out of print. I've watched play troughs of it and now that it's available digitally, I may have to do something about it :unsmigghh:

Honestly, the best way to play it is to ignore all of the negative stuff you've heard about it in the past and judge the game for yourself. A lot of the poo poo-talk about it comes from secondhand-knoweldge from version 1.0, which truly was a mess, or 1.1, which didn't help that much. 1.2, and in particular, 1.3, have ironed out a lot of issues with the game. I've played it enough times that I can tell when someone really did play it through in 1.2 or 1.3, ragequit in the Swamp or Sewer, tried to play it in version 1.0 way back when, or just watched the old LP done here ages ago and/or Jontron's Daikatana N64 video based on what they say about the game.

However, if you loving hate Episode 1, just skip it by opening the console and typing in "changelevel e2m1a". There's no shame in skipping E1 if you hate it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Worth mentioning that American McGee established himself as a shithead the past few days: https://archive.today/FG0za

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Arivia posted:

Worth mentioning that American McGee established himself as a shithead the past few days: https://archive.today/FG0za

Ok, I'm touching the poop. What about that makes him a shithead?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

How is anything he's saying worthy of the moniker "shithead?" Making a character that's just a blank slate is incredibly poor characterization, and I imagine early FPS fans would be incredibly aware of this.

Prisoner 849 from Unreal is a woman, and is also a blank slate (beyond "was present on a prison barge that crashed on Na Pali"). Does that mean that 849 is an example of good female video game characters? Hell no! We know barely more about Doomguy or Gordon Freeman, and the amount of characterization that goes into them went into Bella Swan.

Blank slate characters definitely have their place in gaming, but claiming a blank slate character that happens to be a woman is an example of good writing is just patently false.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Isn't there a thread for this that isn't this one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

Isn't there a thread for this that isn't this one?

Hellthread in GBS.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

How is anything he's saying worthy of the moniker "shithead?" Making a character that's just a blank slate is incredibly poor characterization, and I imagine early FPS fans would be incredibly aware of this.

Prisoner 849 from Unreal is a woman, and is also a blank slate (beyond "was present on a prison barge that crashed on Na Pali"). Does that mean that 849 is an example of good female video game characters? Hell no! We know barely more about Doomguy or Gordon Freeman, and the amount of characterization that goes into them went into Bella Swan.

Blank slate characters definitely have their place in gaming, but claiming a blank slate character that happens to be a woman is an example of good writing is just patently false.

No, it isn't. That's the entire point of Anita's video - even if we have blank slate characters, their gender, race, agency, etc matter in terms of identifying and working with them. It's the kind of thing that's easy to miss if you're a cis guy who has everything match you, but these broad strokes of identity matter to people not commonly represented.

Additionally, American equating a blank slate with a burka is incredibly Islamophobic. Women aren't silent, aren't suddenly not people, when they cover themselves.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Take this poo poo to the hellthread thanks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I think we need to all take a deep breath and get our minds back on track.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

No, it isn't. That's the entire point of Anita's video - even if we have blank slate characters, their gender, race, agency, etc matter in terms of identifying and working with them. It's the kind of thing that's easy to miss if you're a cis guy who has everything match you, but these broad strokes of identity matter to people not commonly represented.

Additionally, American equating a blank slate with a burka is incredibly Islamophobic. Women aren't silent, aren't suddenly not people, when they cover themselves.

Whatever dude he's probably not a "shithead' and is probably a cool and decent person IRL. If you want to argue over his thoughts on video game characters while making strong claims about his worth as a human being then do it somewhere else.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
lmao he was the guy that claimed that Carmack was misogynistic but couldn't turn up any proof of that

Arivia posted:

I think it was something really misogynistic like "women aren't cut out for technical work." I might be wrong, but whatever it was my respect for Carmack just crashed from "demi-god" to "shitlord with too good a set of talents for what he is." There's no denying he's amazing at his coding work (idk about the Rift or the space stuff) but I never want to talk to him ever.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
All this social justice talk makes me want to play some Brutal Doom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
:yikes:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

I think we need to all take a deep breath and get our minds back on track.

Playing PSX Doom right now.

As much as I'd love to play the custom wad, the experience of actually playing Doom on a pad with fully customizable controls has been far superior to any other console shooter I've played in my lifetime.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

uncleKitchener posted:

Playing PSX Doom right now.

As much as I'd love to play the custom wad, the experience of actually playing Doom on a pad with fully customizable controls has been far superior to any other console shooter I've played in my lifetime.

The XBLA versions of Doom/Doom 2 are fantastic.

This smilie needs to be Doomified so that he busts back out of the door because a cyberdemon was in there, or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This smilie needs to be Doomified so that he busts back out of the door because a cyberdemon was in there, or something.

:ripandtear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, the quote for that situation is "I need a big gun. I need a really big gun."

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Because the developers of the AMC TC haven't shown themselves to be racist weirdos yet. (edit for real answer: Brutal Doom will always be ripped on because Sgt Mark is kind of nuts, but also because it's really popular and some of the people who like it are aggressive with how much they like it.)
well you see the problem with minorities is

seriously though; I try to avoid hyping the TC for the sprite art reason, partially - ideally I do my best to take stuff and expand on it rather than just lazily ripping/porting it over. The cultist from Blood is in there but I didn't just try and emulate the original cultists, I added new attacks and techniques to them (For instance if you get too close they'll grab you by the throat and lift you up - and some of them are equipped with ROTT style nets - and of course if one has a shotgun and you're next to him he'll try and shove it in your face and shoot your head off, so you have to mash use to turn the table and do the same to him) The same goes for other enemies and weapons taken from other games/sources...either that or in the case of say the Shadow Warrior enemies they're intended be the same enemies as in the base game.

I can see why ripped sprite art puts people off, and I don't doubt that part of why not many people seem to check it out is probably due to the art in it. I don't really have any right to complain, some people don't care and others can't stand it, it's just one of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arivia posted:

Sounds like if anything he's splitting hairs. A blank slate isn't a good "character", which is his objection, even if a blank slate woman is a good thing in Anita's POV (which is probably right, they're just two people making separate arguments with the same words since people tend to be shortsighted on the internet).