Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2015/03/maintaining-digital-certificate-security.html
Update - April 1: As a result of a joint investigation of the events surrounding this incident by Google and CNNIC, we have decided that the CNNIC Root and EV CAs will no longer be recognized in Google products. This will take effect in a future Chrome update. To assist customers affected by this decision, for a limited time we will allow CNNIC’s existing certificates to continue to be marked as trusted in Chrome, through the use of a publicly disclosed whitelist. While neither we nor CNNIC believe any further unauthorized digital certificates have been issued, nor do we believe the misissued certificates were used outside the limited scope of MCS Holdings’ test network, CNNIC will be working to prevent any future incidents. CNNIC will implement Certificate Transparency for all of their certificates prior to any request for reinclusion. We applaud CNNIC on their proactive steps, and welcome them to reapply once suitable technical and procedural controls are in place.

someone tried to pull a trustwave and now they're waving goodbye to their very

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
CNNIC response here: http://www1.cnnic.cn/AU/MediaC/Announcement/201504/t20150402_52049.htm

pre:
1. The decision that Google has made is unacceptable and unintelligible to CNNIC, and meanwhile CNNIC sincerely urge that Google would take users’ rights and interests into full consideration.

2. For the users that CNNIC has already issued the certificates to, we guarantee that your lawful rights and interests will not be affected. 

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my moneys on goog

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The decision that Google has made is unacceptable and unintelligible to CNNIC

unintelligible?

e: this is apparently a valid use that i just can't remember ever seeing

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
All of their announcements are actually pretty good

http://www1.cnnic.cn/AU/MediaC/Announcement/201503/t20150325_52019.htm

quote:

On March 24th, some media reported Google's accusation that CNNIC has issued certificates for the Man-in-the-Middle (MITM) attack. In response to this report, CNNIC has the following Clarification.
  1.CNNIC has not issued any certificate for the MITM attack. Google’s online security blog has not accused CNNIC for issuing certificates for the MITM attack either. Reports made by some media are inconsistent with the facts.
  2.MCS, a server certificate partner of CNNIC, has confirmed that the sub-ordinate certificates improperly issued were only used for internal tests in its laboratory, which is a protected environment.
  3.CNNIC has revoked its authorization to MCS on March 22nd.
  4.CNNIC reserves the right to take further legal actions.

They aren't mitm certs, they're improperly issued certs.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

uncurable mlady posted:

this sold me on cyber to wizard

please also substitute hacking -> wizardy and cloud -> magic

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Rahu posted:

All of their announcements are actually pretty good

http://www1.cnnic.cn/AU/MediaC/Announcement/201503/t20150325_52019.htm

They aren't mitm certs, they're improperly issued certs.
is there a legitimate need for a CA to issue *.google.com in an internal environment against their external CA chain

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

anthonypants posted:

is there a legitimate need for a CA to issue *.google.com in an internal environment against their external CA chain

"China Internet Network Information Center"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

yes they need to test their mitm in a near-production environment.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah i'm p sure goog is in the right here

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

ok so I'm working on some research for NJE and wanted to share before i write some long rear end blog post

NJE basically lets mainframes 'trust' each other to send jobs/commands between them. You setup the same configuration with node names and IP addresses on all your mainframes and they all talk to each other. In all the examples in the documentation there's no security enabled, despite there being lots of options.

So, in the config you declare systems like:

Node 1: YOSPOS1, 10.10.0.10
Node 2: YOSPOS2, 10.10.0.11
Node 3: YOSPOS3, 10.10.0.12
etc

When using TCPIP (some places may still use SNA, whatever) you send an initialization record like so:

Notice the RIP and OIP. Those are supposed to be the IP addresses above.

So you would send something like:

OPEN YOSPOS1 10.10.0.10 YOSPOS2 10.10.0.11

meaning 'open a connection between me (yospos1) and you (yospos2)'. Once it connects you can send jobs, run console commands, etc, as a system account.

In testing I've discovered that those IP addresses don't mean dick. So long as I can figure out the names of your nodes (hint: it's probably the LPAR names) I can gently caress with your system.

So basically, in python, i craft a packet that says "OPEN YOSPOS1 1.2.3.4 YOSPOS2 4.3.2.1' and it connects me just fine.

Why? Because despite the config implying it will only accept connections from those IP addresses, those IP addresses are for outgoing connections and any IP address can use a node name for incoming NJE connections.

There's also hilarity like no error recovery. If I make a packet with your IP address and send it in with the wrong sequence number it just disconnects the whole thing.

Mainframes: The most secure platform in your enterprise (tm)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

ok so I'm working on some research for NJE and wanted to share before i write some long rear end blog post

NJE basically lets mainframes 'trust' each other to send jobs/commands between them. You setup the same configuration with node names and IP addresses on all your mainframes and they all talk to each other. In all the examples in the documentation there's no security enabled, despite there being lots of options.

So, in the config you declare systems like:

Node 1: YOSPOS1, 10.10.0.10
Node 2: YOSPOS2, 10.10.0.11
Node 3: YOSPOS3, 10.10.0.12
etc

When using TCPIP (some places may still use SNA, whatever) you send an initialization record like so:

Notice the RIP and OIP. Those are supposed to be the IP addresses above.

So you would send something like:

OPEN YOSPOS1 10.10.0.10 YOSPOS2 10.10.0.11

meaning 'open a connection between me (yospos1) and you (yospos2)'. Once it connects you can send jobs, run console commands, etc, as a system account.

In testing I've discovered that those IP addresses don't mean dick. So long as I can figure out the names of your nodes (hint: it's probably the LPAR names) I can gently caress with your system.

So basically, in python, i craft a packet that says "OPEN YOSPOS1 1.2.3.4 YOSPOS2 4.3.2.1' and it connects me just fine.

Why? Because despite the config implying it will only accept connections from those IP addresses, those IP addresses are for outgoing connections and any IP address can use a node name for incoming NJE connections.

There's also hilarity like no error recovery. If I make a packet with your IP address and send it in with the wrong sequence number it just disconnects the whole thing.

Mainframes: The most secure platform in your enterprise (tm)

do the security options defeat this attack, or are you demonstrating that the insecure mode is in fact insecure

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

do the security options defeat this attack, or are you demonstrating that the insecure mode is in fact insecure

Well, the security options are
- ssl (not certs for auth but just to encrypt the data over tcpip)
- a shared, 8 digit max, password, stored in the config file
- a hash of a shared 8 digit max password, the password is stored in the config with the option like so: token(password)

Still doing testing on this mind you.

So, not really this attack, but the password would buy you time, unless I read the config file on one system.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Truecrypt "Phase II" Audit has been completed, and you can read the full report here: https://opencryptoaudit.org/reports/TrueCrypt_Phase_II_NCC_OCAP_final.pdf (PDF warning)

Matthew Green has a new blog post with a TL;DR of the whole thing: http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/04/truecrypt-report.html

quote:

The TL;DR is that based on this audit, Truecrypt appears to be a relatively well-designed piece of crypto software. The NCC audit found no evidence of deliberate backdoors, or any severe design flaws that will make the software insecure in most instances.

That doesn't mean Truecrypt is perfect. The auditors did find a few glitches and some incautious programming -- leading to a couple of issues that could, in the right circumstances, cause Truecrypt to give less assurance than we'd like it to.

For example: the most significant issue in the Truecrypt report is a finding related to the Windows version of Truecrypt's random number generator (RNG), which is responsible for generating the keys that encrypt Truecrypt volumes. This is an important piece of code, since a predictable RNG can spell disaster for the security of everything else in the system.

The Truecrypt developers implemented their RNG based on a 1998 design by Peter Guttman that uses an entropy pool to collect 'unpredictable' values from various sources in the system, including the Windows Crypto API itself. A problem in Truecrypt is that in some extremely rare circumstances, the Crypto API can fail to properly initialize. When this happens, Truecrypt should barf and catch fire. Instead it silently accepts this failure and continues to generate keys.

This is not the end of the world, since the likelihood of such a failure is extremely low. Moreover, even if the Windows Crypto API does fail on your system, Truecrypt still collects entropy from sources such as system pointers and mouse movements. These alternatives are probably good enough to protect you. But it's a bad design and should certainly be fixed in any Truecrypt forks.

In addition to the RNG issues, the NCC auditors also noted some concerns about the resilience of Truecrypt's AES code to cache timing attacks. This is probably not a concern unless you're perform encryption and decryption on a shared machine, or in an environment where the attacker can run code on your system (e.g., in a sandbox, or potentially in the browser). Still, this points the way to future hardening of any projects that use Truecrypt as a base.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm the OHOST, someone else can be :rip:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

i'm the OHOST, someone else can be :rip:

i drink a lot of water, and OIP

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I P a lot, i fyou catch my drift

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think that leaves me with TYPE :(

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
im R

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

yeah i'm p sure goog is in the right here

it's crazy because CCNIC is apparently a state-affiliated regulatory agency. maybe beijing's new censorship tactic is to make the country's network infrastructure so malware-laden and corrosive to the infrastructure of the internet that the whole country gets blacklisted lol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jonad posted:

it's crazy because CCNIC is apparently a state-affiliated regulatory agency. maybe beijing's new censorship tactic is to make the country's network infrastructure so malware-laden and corrosive to the infrastructure of the internet that the whole country gets blacklisted lol

I'm pretty sure that prefix blocking most of china is already standard practice for most businesses. My bank blocks China/Iran/Russia and some others. Of course ip->Location was a flawed concept to begin with, but w/e.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonad posted:

it's crazy because CCNIC is apparently a state-affiliated regulatory agency.

everything in China is state-affiliated

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rooney McNibnug posted:

barf and catch fire

season two rebrand coming along

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what happens if a wizard attack occurs in your butt???

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mozilla cutting cnnic too: https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2015/04/02/distrusting-new-cnnic-certificates/

actually, it's not quite the same

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 2, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

type R!?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Jonad posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_China

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

everything in China is state-affiliated

even the criminals, lol

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

R-Type

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Stay safe, security OHOST :ohdear:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
r kelly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

badass

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

lol

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

lol :drat:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

welp, this is the name of the tool i'm writting now, thanks.

r.kelli.py

remote
killer of
enhanced
lpar to
lpar
intercommunication

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
the r stands for rilo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

http://kamil.hism.ru/posts/about-vrg-and-delete-any-youtube-video-issue.html posted:

In YouTube Creator Studio I investigated how live_events/broadcasting systems works. I wanted to find there some CSRF or XSS issues, but unexpectedly discovered a logical bug that let me to delete any video on YouTube with just one following request:

code:
POST [url]https://www.youtube.com/live_events_edit_status_ajax?action_delete_live_event=1[/url]

event_id: ANY_VIDEO_ID
session_token: YOUR_TOKEN
In response I got:

code:
{
  "success": 1
}
And the video got deleted!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:cripes:

• Locked thread