Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Man, something about the loot in Diablo 3 just seems so boring to me. Maybe it's nostalgia glasses, but I remember finding legendaries and uniques in DII being a game-changing experience, but in DIII it's just always +agripofstats. Meh.

Play DII with Median XL. Now THAT'S an ARPG where loot has profound effects on gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Path of Exile is a decently regarded diablolike, if I recall.

Jimby
Jan 20, 2015

striveforeXcellence
Axiom Verge (PS4) and Hotline Miami 1 & 2 (PS Vita, PS3 & PS4) I highly recommend.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I've never played a castlevania game, but a friend said I would like them. Which one should I try first? I've had fun with games like the binding of isaac, rogue legacy, risk of rain and whatnot.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

funmanguy posted:

I've never played a castlevania game, but a friend said I would like them. Which one should I try first? I've had fun with games like the binding of isaac, rogue legacy, risk of rain and whatnot.
Dawn of Sorrow is the first DS one - it has really good level design and a fun soul-switching mechanic. lovely anime art but eh.

Order of Ecclesia, the third DS one, I think generally considered to be the best of the three. You drop an elevator on a giant crab.

Symphony of the Night is still the best of the series for a lot of people, for the PS1 - the first "metroidvania"-style one. I found it kind of hard to get into after playing the above two, to be honest, keep meaning to give it another try someday but it just feels a bit clunkier by comparison. I feel like it hasn't aged as well as, say, Super Metroid.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

funmanguy posted:

There are 3 types of CV game - Metroidvania (as mentioned above), classic, and 3D. I've not played any of the 3D ones so I can't comment on those. As far as classic goes, there's a bunch of them on older consoles and they're generally very challenging (especially the arcade game), but still hold up today thanks to retro Konami's excellent dev teams:

Haunted Castle (arcade)
Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest (NES)
Akumajou Densetsu (play this JP-only version instead of CV3)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TGCD)
Castlevania Bloodlines (Gen)
Castlevania 2 Belmont's Revenge (GB)
Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth (Wii)

I left out two GB games and one SNES game due to them being generally disliked by the community. Of these, I'd say Rondo or Super would be most accessible to newcomers. My personal favorites are Chronicles and Densetsu, but they're kinda hard and frustrating at times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quadrophrenic posted:

Man, something about the loot in Diablo 3 just seems so boring to me. Maybe it's nostalgia glasses, but I remember finding legendaries and uniques in DII being a game-changing experience, but in DIII it's just always +agripofstats. Meh.

Play DII with Median XL. Now THAT'S an ARPG where loot has profound effects on gameplay.

Its true, D3 is a much better game now than at launch but its still missing a lot of what made D2 special.

They just simplified the stats and builds way too much. If you're an INT class, you want more INT. STR does you nothing. There is no Wizard build where getting bonus STR helps you. That's just way too simple and restricting of a system to make interesting loot for.

As a result, all the loot just feels like slightly better stats that give you some tiny percentage increase in damage, except the legendaries. So everybody wants more legendaries, so they spend all their time on legendaries but then the legendary drop rate is this huge issue, and since each has to be programmed/scripted individually there's only so many they can deliver and it still ends up turning into grinding for the best stats version of a given legendary.

Course maybe we just have rose tinted glasses because we were dumb kids with too much free time who didn't know any better when D2 was out. :v:

funmanguy posted:

Castlevania NES is where you should start out, full stop.

When you get bored with that, you can play with something like Symphony of the Night (widely considered the best in the series) or Circle of the Moon or Super Castlevania IV or really any of the GBA/DS games, they're all good.

STAY AWAY FROM THE 3D GAMES.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Zaphod42 posted:

Castlevania NES is where you should start out, full stop.

most old castlevanias have some really archaic designs that frustrated me to hell when I tried, like the knockback from being hit that makes you fall into the abysses, the stairs in general. I would say symphony of the night is a much better start point despite of being something kind of different from the others.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Here's a great video on the merits of NES Castlevania over Super Castlevania: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_PjqYQi5E

Symphony of the Night as mentioned above is a masterpiece but more along the lines of metroid, give it a try.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
ARPG talk: I'm really liking Dungeon Fighter Online. It is a side-scrolling beat-em-up with heavy RPG progression and variable difficulties and playstyles based on chosen class, of which there are like three dozen. It is f2p and online-only, but the cash shop hasn't been introduced yet and I don't know how much it will influence the gameplay (if at all), and party play is highly encouraged. There is a fatigue system where you can only play a character through a certain number of rooms per day, but the number is pretty high and there are incentives for leveling different characters so you can binge all day as long as you're fine with switching playstyles. DFO has pretty fast gameplay and is more about comboing attacks and doing evasive moves than sitting there and holding down left-mouse-button to shoot arrows at enemies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrBims posted:

ARPG talk: I'm really liking Dungeon Fighter Online. It is a side-scrolling beat-em-up with heavy RPG progression and variable difficulties and playstyles based on chosen class, of which there are like three dozen. It is f2p and online-only, but the cash shop hasn't been introduced yet and I don't know how much it will influence the gameplay (if at all), and party play is highly encouraged. There is a fatigue system where you can only play a character through a certain number of rooms per day, but the number is pretty high and there are incentives for leveling different characters so you can binge all day as long as you're fine with switching playstyles. DFO has pretty fast gameplay and is more about comboing attacks and doing evasive moves than sitting there and holding down left-mouse-button to shoot arrows at enemies.

I love DFO because its a beat'em'up with depth.

Seems like so so so many beat'em'ups just give you more levels with more dudes to beat up, but your player strategy basically boils down to "move near enemy, attack before you get punched, repeat". In a few games like TMNT IV they even give you special moves, but the special moves hurt you to use them! So basically it always feels bad to use unless you're completely surrounded, so that doesn't really add much depth to the game at all.

Some games like River city ransom and Scott Pilgrim let you at least buy healing items and upgrades, so there's some slight RPG elements, but its still pretty much just punch, kick, jump kick, or walk when it comes down to the actual fighting. Aliens vs Predator and the X-MEN beat em ups give you a special attack, but once you use your "energy" its gone.
Games that let you pick up bottles and crowbars to smash people's heads in with are cool too, but it still barely changes the gameplay.

I was really dissapointed that as fun as Castle Crashers was, its still pretty much just running around using the same smashing attacks on people over and over. You get a bow and some magic but they really don't do very much in the grand scheme of things.

What I've always wanted were beat'em'ups that had fighting game levels of combos, like street fighter. What other games exist that do this, like Dungeon Fighter Online does?

I remember either sega saturn or dreamcast had an anime beat em up game that seemed like it had more going on, but I didn't have sega consoles at the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

funmanguy posted:

I would start with dawn of sorrow, because if it doesn't work for you then none of the metroidy games will and the difficulty is reasonable. Order of ecclesia is an order of magnitude (heh) harder so probably don't start with that. Portrait of ruin seems good and of a similar style as dawn of sorrow, but with pretty different gameplay mechanics, although I haven't played much of it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember either sega saturn or dreamcast had an anime beat em up game that seemed like it had more going on, but I didn't have sega consoles at the time.

You're probably thinking of Guardian Heroes for the Saturn, which got a XBLA update with 16:9 support and some new control options.

I'll also Nth that if what you like about ARPGs is coming up with builds and having lots of skills that synchronize you'll have a lot of fun with DFO.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 2, 2015

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I'm also interested in a game like DFO for PC, just minus the MMO aspect, so I don't have to sink a million hours to get what I want out of the game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm gonna slightly go against the herd here and say start with a GBA Metroidvania Castlevania or else start with Symphony Of The Night. The NES/SNES titles don't really hold up as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

You're probably thinking of Guardian Heroes for the Saturn, which got a XBLA update with 16:9 support and some new control options.

I'll also Nth that if what you like about ARPGs is coming up with builds and having lots of skills that synchronize you'll have a lot of fun with DFO.

Yeah but I've already put a lot of hours into DFO. (And then they wiped the servers :rolleyes:)

What I'm asking is, is there literally any other game out there like it?

mune posted:

I'm also interested in a game like DFO for PC, just minus the MMO aspect, so I don't have to sink a million hours to get what I want out of the game.

And yeah, preferably not online.
Although I should get back into DFO I guess. :v:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Re: ARPG Talk

Diablo 2 with Median XL is scratching some very satisfying itches, but it's quite annoying (although understandable) how much of the mechanics are necessarily obtuse and hidden under the surface due to engine limitations. (The tool/wrapper Plugy helps a ton on this issue!)

I might take a look at Path of Exile since it's F2P and seems well-received. Looks scary to learn.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 3, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

D2 with Eastern Sun was really fun with goons but the mod hasn't updated in forever and the last couple times we had a realm up had pretty disappointing populations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dis astranagant posted:

D2 with Eastern Sun was really fun with goons but the mod hasn't updated in forever and the last couple times we had a realm up had pretty disappointing populations.

Agreed. I don't know how I stumbled on that at the height of its popularity but its definitely the most fun I've had playing an ARPG. There's a loving insane amount of useful things to loot. Basically everything you loot can help your character in some minuscule way through a cube recipe of some sort. So that little click of endorphins or whatever every time you get good loot is just constantly going off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Somehow we managed to convince like 95% of the population on the first GoonRealm to go HC and it was glorious.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I'm looking for a co-op RPG that I can play with my girlfriend. This is mostly as a way of introducing her to games, as she loves the look of them from watching me and is attracted to the idea of playing one together, but has very little experience so we're looking for something that's beginner-friendly, while still being interesting.

Ideally it would have at least some of the following:
  • Interesting story. Something that makes the world come alive a little, not just "walk around and kill things". An overarching plot in which you influence the world would be good, sidequests also helpful along the way
  • Cheerful/beautiful atmosphere. Something where we occasionally discover a new area and it's fundamentally different in looks to the previous places we've found
  • Not terribly tricky combat. Anything that involves moving and aiming simultaneously might be a bit much
  • Co-op being a focus would be good. If we could run as healer/tank or similar, with symbiotic roles, that would be better than just us doing the same thing simultaneously
I've considered the following already, to give a better idea of what I'm looking for here's why I think they might not be ideal
  • Diablo 2/3 - Combat is quite samey and seems to rely a little too much on rapid reflexes. World is a bit dark and depressing. Story seemed to consist mostly of "go here and clear this dungeon x10". Caveat: I have only played D2, but I gather D3 is similar - willing to be corrected on this.
  • World of Warcraft - I suspect this is the most natural choice, certainly through the levelling process it's quite newbie friendly, and it ticks a lot of the options above. Slight downside is that the sheer scale can be a little overwhelming at first, and the monthly subs. Would prefer a stand-alone cost. Also I've already played it quite a bit, and it would be ideal if we could explore a new world together.
  • Borderlands - Combat very repetitive, but fun certainly. Plot good, different sceneries a bit limited. Concerned that the FPS model wouldn't be ideal
Having played them in singleplayer, I think something like Fable or Elder Scrolls might be what I'm after, but I know nothing about the multiplayer versions. Very open to other suggestions as well though.

Only looking for PC games, she doesn't have a console.

Edit:v Portal 2 I've played sadly, but Trine is an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

boatiemathmo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 4, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

boatiemathmo posted:

I'm looking for a co-op RPG that I can play with my girlfriend. This is mostly as a way of introducing her to games, as she loves the look of them from watching me and is attracted to the idea of playing one together, but has very little experience so we're looking for something that's beginner-friendly, while still being interesting.

• Interesting story. Something that makes the world come alive a little, not just "walk around and kill things". An overarching plot in which you influence the world would be good, sidequests also helpful along the way
  • Cheerful/beautiful atmosphere. Something where we occasionally discover a new area and it's fundamentally different in looks to the previous places we've found
  • Not terribly tricky combat. Anything that involves moving and aiming simultaneously might be a bit much
  • Co-op being a focus would be good. If we could run as healer/tank or similar, with symbiotic roles, that would be better than just us doing the same thing simultaneously
I've considered the following already, to give a better idea of what I'm looking for here's why I think they might not be ideal
  • Diablo 2/3 - Combat is quite samey and seems to rely a little too much on rapid reflexes. World is a bit dark and depressing. Story seemed to consist mostly of "go here and clear this dungeon x10". Caveat: I have only played D2, but I gather D3 is similar - willing to be corrected on this.
  • World of Warcraft - I suspect this is the most natural choice, certainly through the levelling process it's quite newbie friendly, and it ticks a lot of the options above. Slight downside is that the sheer scale can be a little overwhelming at first, and the monthly subs. Would prefer a stand-alone cost. Also I've already played it quite a bit, and it would be ideal if we could explore a new world together.
  • Borderlands - Combat very repetitive, but fun certainly. Plot good, different sceneries a bit limited. Concerned that the FPS model wouldn't be ideal
Having played them in singleplayer, I think something like Fable or Elder Scrolls might be what I'm after, but I know nothing about the multiplayer versions. Very open to other suggestions as well though.

Trine 2. Not an RPG but it's a really good girlfriend game. Portal 2 too.

Edit: Worth noting that the co-op campaign in Portal 2 is completely seperate from the singleplayer campaign.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 4, 2015

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

boatiemathmo posted:

Edit:v Portal 2 I've played sadly, but Trine is an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

Divinity: original sin. you can take it as slow as you want with its turn based combat

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I played Trine 2 with my girlfriend and it was really good.

Magicka and Terraria are good ones too.

If you want to go a little more "hardcore", Divinity: Original Sin is a fantastic game, and was built from the ground up very intentionally to be an old-school RPG that you can sit down and play with your less-gamery wife or girlfriend. I think it's a goal they really succeeded at. It might be an isometric turn-based RPG, but it's beginner-friendly and intuitive, it's not bogged down in archaic rules or anything, and the co-op mode is really fantastic. Well worth considering imo even though it might not seem like the obvious choice

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played Trine 2 with my girlfriend and it was really good.

Magicka and Terraria are good ones too.

If you want to go a little more "hardcore", Divinity: Original Sin is a fantastic game, and was built from the ground up very intentionally to be an old-school RPG that you can sit down and play with your less-gamery wife or girlfriend. I think it's a goal they really succeeded at. It might be an isometric turn-based RPG, but it's beginner-friendly and intuitive, it's not bogged down in archaic rules or anything, and the co-op mode is really fantastic. Well worth considering imo even though it might not seem like the obvious choice

Reading up on it now, it looks like a very good choice. Thanks for the suggestions Lunchmeat and Double Click.

Terraria I suspect is a bit too directionless (Minecraft the same). Magicka I've considered before as well, I'll keep that on the back burner.

Cheers all!

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

boatiemathmo posted:

Baldur's Gate 1/2: Enhanced Edition or Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition fit this pretty well. The combat is somewhat similar to the Diablo games, but you can pause the combat at anytime you like. The story in the Baldur's gate is also regarded as one of the better ones in games, with a lot of interesting locations. There's also a lot of versatility to the classes, where you can be a tank/healer, mage/thief, or any combination thereof. They also fixed up the netcode for the games, and I've been playing through the games with a couple of buddies, and we've only had a few problems so far - nothing game breaking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For the love of God, do not introduce your girlfriend to World of Warcraft. That's one of the worst ideas anyone has ever had. I can't think of a single scenario where that ends well.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

What I've always wanted were beat'em'ups that had fighting game levels of combos, like street fighter. What other games exist that do this, like Dungeon Fighter Online does?

Dungeon Fighter is basically a gigantic love letter to an old arcade game: Shadow Over Mystara. Some of its dev team later started Vanillaware to do more of the same. Odin Sphere (ps2) and Muramasa The Demon Blade (wii) are two to check out, assuming you're not married to the move-up-and-down Z axis. Dragon's Crown (ps3) is basically Mystara 2 with equipment and movesets and inventory made deeper, but questionable art decisions ruined it for a lot of people, so...look out for that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If I only had time to play one bleeding edge cRPG would it be Pillars of eternity or or Dragon Age 3.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MikeC posted:

If I only had time to play one bleeding edge cRPG would it be Pillars of eternity or or Dragon Age 3.
PoE, no contest.

I hear DA3 ain't bad but its got really MMO-esque sidequests. PoE has a really good number of unique side-quests with multiple ways to solve them, it will keep you busy without any filler.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 5, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MikeC posted:

DA3 has really grindy MMO sidequests. Beyond that it's a competently executed Modern Bioware Game(tm) with all the companion romances you would expect. PoE is a competently executed old school RPG. Really, it's up to you whether you liked Baldur's Gate 2 or Mass Effect more.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MikeC posted:

Pillars of Eternity, hands down. Unless you're like, really allergic to "old school".

I liked the new Dragon Age well enough, but imo Pillars is the best RPG to come out since Baldur's Gate 2.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm reading Ready Player One. If I wanted to find the sort of experience described in the book, but in a modern game, is there anything out there that will do it?

Sort of an RPG that meshes cyberpunk, fantasy, and everything else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SquadronROE posted:

I'm reading Ready Player One. If I wanted to find the sort of experience described in the book, but in a modern game, is there anything out there that will do it?

Sort of an RPG that meshes cyberpunk, fantasy, and everything else.

It's not an rpg, but if you want a fusion of Cyberpunk and Fantasy go play The Longest Journey. It's a point-and-click adventure game available on GoG.com and Steam, and a classic for a reason.

Also is Ready Player One any good? Saw it at a store and looked interesting.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Seconding TLJ/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters and also recommending Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Accordion Man posted:

Seconding TLJ/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters and also recommending Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Oh, maybe Dragonfall. I tried playing the Shadowrun RPG when it first came out and got bored, but I heard Dragonfall got way better.

Also RP1 is okay. Treat it like you're reading a young adult novel (so heavy on explosions and awkward romance and video games) and enjoy the ride and you'll like it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accordion Man posted:

Seconding TLJ/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters

Just a note to this; play TLJ first instead of going directly for the more modern releases. They're all direct sequels with big major events in each that affect the following titles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While I liked Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall really just blow its out of the water. You should go play it, especially now that the game is standalone and only $15. (Seriously, that price is essentially theft)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a note to this; play TLJ first instead of going directly for the more modern releases. They're all direct sequels with big major events in each that affect the following titles.
Also don't be afraid to use a guide because its got your classic bullshit adventure game puzzles. (Its not Sierra bad though)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Accordion Man posted:

Also don't be afraid to use a guide because its got your classic bullshit adventure game puzzles. (Its not Sierra bad though)

Ahh, the ducky clamp :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, the ducky clamp :allears:.

Ah yes! Clearly the key to a fuse box is in some random subway station!