Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

A smoked-in house is ruined in my opinion. I'd never buy one.
Eh, I think that's overkill. Paint the walls and ceilings with a paint and primer in one, scrub the cabinets and counters with TSP and replace the floors. There may be a slight odor leftover for a while but it probably won't be very perceptible. That is a lot of work that should be considered when buying the house, and it certainly effects the value, but it's not ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ciaphas posted:

Time for the old rent vs buy question! My lease on my current apartment is coming up December 2015, so I've got a ton of time to work this one out. Gonna post this while I read the OP and related posts, so maybe some of this will be answered along the way. Sorry if it is. :shobon:

Right now I'm paying $999 rent, ~$50 water/sewer, ~$50 pet fees (one cat), ~$100 "technology" (our apartment has a deal with the local cable company), and ~$15 on renter's insurance monthly. Grand total $1214/mo on living, for a 1k sqft 2bed/2bath apartment with attached garage. Not bad, I figured (and still do, more or less).

For funsies, I decided to poke around on Zillow for local condo prices (it'd have to be a SPECTACULAR deal for me to be interested in a house, because gently caress outdoor maintenance--roof leaks, plumbing, etc. Not so much lawn care, I live in Vegas so I'd probably want rock anyway). An example of one I like, at similar size and spec to my apartment, costs almost exactly $100k right now. Since I'd be getting an FHA loan and a small (probably 5%) down payment, and get the closing costs rolled into the loan, I'm gonna assume that to be the total of my loan as well, 4% fixed for 30 years*. According to the more or less randomly picked mortgagecalculator.com, that'd mean a monthly payment of mortgage, PMI, and property tax of $581.58.

Average homeowner's insurance around here is about $60/mo, and my HOA at this particular condo complex (which includes water and sewer near as I can tell) is $175/mo. Assuming I haven't missed anything, that gives me a grand monthly total of 816.58, something like a $400/mo savings before I even consider things like equity and interest deductions. Even if I put away, say, $200/mo of that into a "HOW much is fixing the toilet gonna cost me again? :stare:" fund, I'd still be $200 ahead.

Now, my actual question is, basically: from a financial perspective, what have I missed? I say financial because, as far as lifestyle goes, I don't have a lot of prohibitions on home ownership. I have no wife or kids, just the one pet; the apartment and condo are roughly in the same neighborhood and have similar crime rates etc.; and (tempting fate here...) my job is so stable I could (and very well might) ride it all the way to retirement some four decades from now. And I seriously loving abhor moving, so I certainly wouldn't get ants in my pants anytime soon.

*(edit) I've run more accurate/more worst-case loan amount and mortgage terms than this, mind; these numbers were just simple for typing out.

You don't have cable/internet in your house estimate that is covered by your rental $100 technology fee.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

moana posted:

Wooooo got an offer for my house today, exactly $200k more than what I paid for it six years ago. It's FHA, so I'm crossing my fingers it goes through.

Awesome! Which part of town is it in (I'm in PQ and if my wife doesn't get pregnant soon, this house is too big for us - we might sell).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

adorai posted:

Eh, I think that's overkill. Paint the walls and ceilings with a paint and primer in one, scrub the cabinets and counters with TSP and replace the floors. There may be a slight odor leftover for a while but it probably won't be very perceptible. That is a lot of work that should be considered when buying the house, and it certainly effects the value, but it's not ruined.

It might go away if you do those things, or it might not. I've read too many horror stories to be sure, and when you buy a house, you don't want to be in the position of pouring two grand after two grand after two grand, just to embark on a voyage of discovery for the Fountain of youth House No Longer Stinking.

Even just catching a whiff occasionally would be terrible for me personally, I detest the smell of cigarette residue, so I'm maybe not the same as everyone.

But, I would rather be able to guesstimate how much money I need to put into a house to get it into livable condition, before I buy it, and I don't think anyone can reasonably do that with a smoked-in house. You just don't know how deep it goes or how much you'll have to do to eliminate the smell.

As an aside, I feel the same way about a smoked-in car, only more so. A smoked-in car probably has to be taken down to the frame and restored frame-up to eliminate the smell.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

PCjr sidecar posted:

You don't have cable/internet in your house estimate that is covered by your rental $100 technology fee.
Yes.

There is also the ~$10k in transaction costs from a buy/sell cycle, amortized over the life of the loan.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PCjr sidecar posted:

Lmao I'm gonna be honest, Cox Communications prices being what they are, that's nearly torpedoed the whole drat thing in one go. gently caress me what an obvious thing to gloss over. :saddowns:

Sorry all, appears I've wasted your time. If I had accounted for that I'd have immediately known the margin was too small to even bother with.

(Edit) But thanks for all the info nevertheless!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 2, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Spamtron7000 posted:

Awesome! Which part of town is it in (I'm in PQ and if my wife doesn't get pregnant soon, this house is too big for us - we might sell).
Clairemont. Our selling agent is Quinn Myers, I would definitely recommend him if you don't have an agent yet: http://www.zillow.com/profile/QuinnMyers/ Total commission percent was 4.25% and he's been a dream to work with while selling remotely.

Our buyer's agent right now is an old timer, which is nice because she knows the neighborhoods and most of the houses. But god drat, it is nice to work with someone young and tech-savvy who can do everything through email.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Wow seems like the smoking is going to be more of a hurdle than I imagined. Luckily its only 7 years old, with a lot more wood floors than carpet. Only one room has the smoke detector missing so hopefully that is where most of the smoking happened. I'll try to get something towards the cost of smoke damage removal from them.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sound_man posted:

Wow seems like the smoking is going to be more of a hurdle than I imagined. Luckily its only 7 years old, with a lot more wood floors than carpet. Only one room has the smoke detector missing so hopefully that is where most of the smoking happened. I'll try to get something towards the cost of smoke damage removal from them.
The wood is nearly as bad, you are going to want to, at minimum, refinish them. If you can.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm honest, I hadn't put much thought in to this. I've lived in only two places since fleeing the nest, and in both my neighbors were not an issue at all (quite friendly at my last place, aloof at my current). I should know better than to think that streak will continue :v:

This is how I got stuck sharing a duplex with a pretty big-time drug dealer. I was always slightly on edge that he'd gently caress over someone in a drug deal and they'd pick the wrong half of the building to take their anger out on. He got robbed multiple times when I was living there as well. Since we both owned our units neither of us was going anywhere either.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Sound_man posted:

Wow seems like the smoking is going to be more of a hurdle than I imagined. Luckily its only 7 years old, with a lot more wood floors than carpet.

Real wood that you can refinish, or laminate snap together 'wood' floors?

Unsure it would matter for smoke smell, I have no experience with laminate and smoke but others might.

Edit: It was $1800 to refinish (sanding included) the floors in my entire house. And then it smelled for a week even with all the windows open.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I bought my house from a heavy smoker. Like, rings around the pictures, tar circles above the bed and his recliner, sticky-to-the-touch curtains heavy. It had popcorn ceilings (with 2% asbestos, yay). They got scraped down and removed. All fiber surfaces were removed -- curtains, carpets, pads. We sprayed down every wall and the kitchen cabinets with goo-gone, rinsed it, let it dry, scrubbed down everything (walls, floors, ceiling) with TSP, let it dry again, and did that again. Primed every paintable surface with this stuff, and followed that with paint+primer. Had to replace the fridge and get the HVAC system cleaned out. I'm pretty sure all of that was enough, but I also replaced all of the light fixtures, vent grilles, and switches/outlets for other reasons.

I'm allergic to smoke and that got it clean enough for me. It is possible to exorcise the demon, it just takes a lot of work.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Sorry all, appears I've wasted your time. If I had accounted for that I'd have immediately known the margin was too small to even bother with.
You didn't waste anyone's time. You are exactly what this thread is for. Many costs of homeownership are not immediately apparent, and too many people think only about HOWMUCHAMONTH.

If you were married with kids or something like that, people would probably be telling you that it's OK to buy, since it sounds like your finances are in good shape/etc., but life circumstances change rapidly, and the transaction costs of buying/selling are huge.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

To give you an idea on the smoking thing, when I was about 13, we moved into a new house. We'd admired the gold trim around the light fixtures and on the chandeliers and stuff when we were looking at the house. It was only when we started cleaning up to move in and paint that we found the gold coming off...

...and coming off...

...and coming off...

The trim was actually silver. The gold was nicotine/tar/cigarette smoke. Layers and layers of it.

:gonk:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Just imagine what that did to the inside of a person's lungs and organs. Jesus.

Re: refinishing hardwood floors. Did that at my place before moving in (not for smoking reasons). What a huge pain in the rear end. Definitely something that I would contract out if I ever have to do it again. Super loud, messy, slow, and smelly... plus you have the constant uncertainty that you're going to gently caress up the floor really bad.

Spring is upon us new home owners. My home proudly sports a dirt/weed patch for the front and back lawns. There is a sprinkler system in the yard that appears to have been operable at some point in the past, only now there are some random frayed wires and pipes sticking out of the ground in various places. I'm sure it wont' work, and in my experience reparing sprinkler systems probably tops refinishing hardwood floors in terms of laborious, frustrating tasks. Just going to buy a hose and keep grass to a minimum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Looking at two places this weekend. Got preapproval from one lender already: 3.25% with no lender fees and a $5000 credit toward closing (30 year fixed VA loan with 0% down). That seems pretty good, any thoughts?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Tricky Ed posted:

I bought my house from a heavy smoker. Like, rings around the pictures, tar circles above the bed and his recliner, sticky-to-the-touch curtains heavy. It had popcorn ceilings (with 2% asbestos, yay). They got scraped down and removed.

Off topic, but did you scrape off the popcorn ceilings yourself or have a contractor do it? This is one of the projects I have lined up on my house...

Thesaurus posted:

Spring is upon us new home owners. My home proudly sports a dirt/weed patch for the front and back lawns.

The previous owners mowed right before I took possession on Monday, and I'm spending this week debating on whether I want to buy my first mower or hire lawn service for a few weeks. It's not a big yard but I've got a lot of other stuff going on with the move.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

Off topic, but did you scrape off the popcorn ceilings yourself or have a contractor do it? This is one of the projects I have lined up on my house...

I just did this. Get a garden sprayer... One of those things you pump and then spray with a wand. A 6 or 9 inch putty knife is what you want, the stiffer the better in my case.

Mist the ceiling, not too much water but enough to cover a 6x6 foot patch. Wait about 30 seconds. Start scraping.

It's easy, but a pain in the rear end with all the poo poo falling on you. Goggles/safety glasses and breathing mask are needed.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Depending on the age of your house, you might want to test the popcorn for asbestos before you start.

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Depending on the age of your house, you might want to test the popcorn for asbestos before you start.

He already said it contained 2% asbestos, which is one of the things that I had to deal with as well when I closed on my house. gently caress popcorn ceiling up the rear end.

Was anybody else paralyzed with depression when buying an old home and researching that pretty much everything about it will give you cancer and kill you in your sleep?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Scrape, shovel and shut up. There is not enough asbestos in a popcorn ceiling of a residential home to cause anyone any long lasting harm.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Antifreeze Head posted:

Scrape, shovel and shut up. There is not enough asbestos in a popcorn ceiling of a residential home to cause anyone any long lasting harm.

Union Carbide exec spotted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

For those on the NFCU train or want to get on, I just talked to my loan officer, and what some people said earlier is confirmed, others are debunked (myself included):

* You do not need a 750 credit score for even the HomeBuyers Choice product. You can go in probably at 720 or so and still get it
* There is no point with using HomeBuyers Choice if you have even 5% down
* You do NOT pay PMI on a conventional loan with Navy Federal. It is very similar to a VA loan but imperceptible to the seller (unlike a VA loan which forces the seller to pay full closing costs aside from down of 2.5%, putting them at a disadvantage out of the gate)
* Most loans that people with good credit, income, etc. they have will meet closing dates within 30 days. 45 days that people cite are for more "troublesome" accounts (this is military, service members are not particularly well known for being good with money in this country).

Basically, Navy Federal breaks all the rules of lending in your favor, and every selling agent would rather deal with a credit union than a bank as the lender. This is primarily because Navy Federal does NOT sell these mortgages on the secondary market. The selling agent I talked to this weekend point blank said if two similar offers came in and one was with a credit union as lender and the other as a regular bank, there'd be no contest because the credit union is far less risk and probably closes faster, which saves them substantial amounts of money.
NFCU has been stupid good for me, I'm kind of amazed at how quickly they get back to me for random questions. Even if they start dragging their feet, it'll get resolved within hours and still have no problem meeting closing. Internally, this probably means they're able to close on a mortgage within a span of less than two weeks, which is commendable if you ask me. They haven't even gotten my signed contract and they say they'll totally make the 23rd for a closing date still. Absurd? We'll see.

Thanks, this is really helpful. Sadly it looks like there aren't any branches near me, but a no-PMI conventional loan with less than 20% down sounds amazing :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

- Property taxes for the areas I'm interested in seem to average around 2%, though I will of course figure out the actuals if I continue forward with this in the coming months.

Okay. Going by your numbers, which was a loan of $100k + $5k for closing, 5% down, 4% interest, and $2k/year in property insurance, mlcalc.com gives me an estimated payment of $685/mo. With $175/mo for HOA fees, that's $860/mo.

That's $140 less than what you're paying in rent. You mentioned insurance, which was about $45 more expensive for the condo. Trash is a fee that you'll have to pay, so we'll assume that it negates the pet fee that you're currently paying. Your "technology" bill will certainly go up; in Vegas the price of electricity for a 2 BR apartment/condo is roughly $100/mo, with another $50/mo for cable, so that's a net difference of $50.

Grand total, you'd be saving $50/month! Until something breaks; the rule of thumb is you should really be budgeting $100/month for upkeep. There go your savings. And don't forget that if you sell, you lose 6-8% right off the top.

So you'd be spending about $50/month more for the same living situation but much greater financial risk. I think that you should continue renting.

quote:

- My retirement fund right now is at just over $100k, at 30 years old. I think I'm okay on that front. (I think I know the answer to this but I wanna make sure, taking a loan on the 401k portion of that to get a bigger down payment and avoid PMI would be seriously bad mojo, right?)

This depends on the size of the 401k loan and your income (IE the rate at which you can comfortably pay it back). With 401k loans you pay the interest back into your own account, which means that you're really only incurring the opportunity cost of not leaving that money in the account to grow in other ways, usually at a rate that is much greater than the interest rate that you're paying yourself. Ideally, you want to pay down this loan as fast as possible because of that opportunity cost. If your income is sufficiently high, then it can make sense. At the same time, if your income is really that high then it might make as much sense to just build up a down payment.

If you can take out a 401k loan and completely be rid of PMI, and you're looking at buying something right now, and you're comfortable with a short repayment plan (like maybe 5 years instead of the typically allowed 30), then I'd personally take out the 401k loan.

quote:

- I fully acknowledge that Renting != Flushing Money; it just seems like every time I run the numbers on housing prices out here for places similar to my apartment, even in the worst case I'm getting fleeced by at least $200 monthly, not counting the eventual building of equity, and interest deductions.

Upkeep for a $100k condo is going to be at least $100/month (average). That's if you do the work yourself and don't gently caress anything up. Even assuming that $200/month were an accurate number for the price difference (which I'm not convinced that it is), you could view that extra that you pay in rent as a form of insurance. As a renter, you're not responsible for burst pipes, faulty wiring, a fire that burns down the entire complex, etc. As a renter, you're also not responsibility for fixing the smaller stuff: leaky pipes, non-working AC unit, drippy ceilings, etc. You don't have to ever loving paint an entire apartment, or deal with flooring, or deal with hosed up counters and cabinets, etc.

quote:

- In fact, that feeling of getting fleeced is just about the entire reason I'm considering this. Getting a wee bit closer to work would be a boon too, but it's not significant. I don't buy into the whole ~Pride of Ownership~ thing one bit, for example.

Any extra money that you imagine yourself spending as a renter is the price of freedom. Having the ability to pack up all of your stuff and move wherever you want, whenever you want, is extremely liberating. If you have a lovely neighbor as a condo owner there's not really a lot that you can do about it. If you have a lovely neighbor as a renter then you can just loving leave and find better neighbors, at the cost of some pizza and beer for the friends that help you move.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

QuarkJets posted:

Thanks, this is really helpful. Sadly it looks like there aren't any branches near me, but a no-PMI conventional loan with less than 20% down sounds amazing :(

Navy Federal doesn't really have a lot of physical branches. They mostly do stuff online or over the phone. It works well because most military members are all over the place and constantly moving around. Just call them up if you are interested in using them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Eryxias posted:

Navy Federal doesn't really have a lot of physical branches. They mostly do stuff online or over the phone. It works well because most military members are all over the place and constantly moving around. Just call them up if you are interested in using them.

I might do that. I'm eligible for an account, we're kind of looking at houses but prices out here on a loving island are insane, so a 15% down conventional loan with no PMI would be oustanding

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They may reserve the right to go "uh... nope, you need to pay up more, son" depending upon the market honestly. The rates that were on the site weren't what I just got offered :( However, for as low of a price I'm paying, .75% difference results in less than $100 / mo for me when the house payment will already be a bit less than 10% of my gross income. If I go nutso, I could pay this house off within a couple years.

psydude posted:

Looking at two places this weekend. Got preapproval from one lender already: 3.25% with no lender fees and a $5000 credit toward closing (30 year fixed VA loan with 0% down). That seems pretty good, any thoughts?
:stare: Goddamn, that's pretty good. Even Navy Federal goes down to 3.125% and 3.534% APR with 2 points on it for a VA loan. I thought I was doing swell with $1.4k back at closing from the lender. Negotiating a few grand more from the seller made it better too, but goddamn those VA loans are good for buyers (but not so great for the seller really).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I ran the numbers again this morning adding in cable etc and the whole thing did, indeed, fall apart. So buying is out for me right now.

Close save :v:

(Not that this applies to me right now, but I wish "renting == freedom to move" were as true as some here make it sound. Relative to ownership, maybe, but year long leases are still a long time to deal with a lovely neighbor or whatever)

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

They may reserve the right to go "uh... nope, you need to pay up more, son" depending upon the market honestly. The rates that were on the site weren't what I just got offered :( However, for as low of a price I'm paying, .75% difference results in less than $100 / mo for me when the house payment will already be a bit less than 10% of my gross income. If I go nutso, I could pay this house off within a couple years.
:stare: Goddamn, that's pretty good. Even Navy Federal goes down to 3.125% and 3.534% APR with 2 points on it for a VA loan. I thought I was doing swell with $1.4k back at closing from the lender. Negotiating a few grand more from the seller made it better too, but goddamn those VA loans are good for buyers (but not so great for the seller really).

If you're paying a 0.75% rate penalty for a "no PMI" loan that's probably worse than just paying PMI

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Any thoughts on title insurance? It seems like such a small cost to protect against what could be a major head ache but on the other hand the townhouse I am trying to by is only 7 years old and as far as I can tell this is the first time its been sold.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Sound_man posted:

Any thoughts on title insurance? It seems like such a small cost to protect against what could be a major head ache but on the other hand the townhouse I am trying to by is only 7 years old and as far as I can tell this is the first time its been sold.

How old is the land?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of the other parties to the transaction expect that you'll get title insurance. I dunno if a lender will balk if you refuse, but it's not that expensive. I viewed it as an annoying and probably bullshit minor expense as part of the whole deal and just didn't worry about it too much. I think my title insurance was like two hundred dollars? I forget exactly but something in that range, or less.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just locked a 30 year fixed rate at 3.375. VA is good for something.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Sound_man posted:

Are you paying cash? I'm not sure a mortgage company would permit a purchase without title insurance.

Captain Windex
Apr 10, 2005
It'll clean anything.
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

All of the other parties to the transaction expect that you'll get title insurance. I dunno if a lender will balk if you refuse, but it's not that expensive. I viewed it as an annoying and probably bullshit minor expense as part of the whole deal and just didn't worry about it too much. I think my title insurance was like two hundred dollars? I forget exactly but something in that range, or less.

gvibes posted:

Are you paying cash? I'm not sure a mortgage company would permit a purchase without title insurance.

When you get title insurance with mortgage financing there are 2 policies purchased, one covers the owner (buyer) and the other covers the lender. I can't think of a good reason why a lender would care if the borrower declined to purchase the owner's policy, but you'll still be required to pay for the lender's policy. Also - depending on your market the owner's policy may be normally accepted as a seller paid cost at closing, so if that's the case unless you negotiate a reduction in purchase price in return for them not paying for the coverage you're not saving anything by not getting owner's coverage anyway.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
You have to have title insurance, it's not an option unless you're paying cash. You can shop around for it, though.

E: ^^^ what he said, although some attorneys will refuse closing service if you for some reason insist on not buying title insurance

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Captain Windex posted:

When you get title insurance with mortgage financing there are 2 policies purchased, one covers the owner (buyer) and the other covers the lender. I can't think of a good reason why a lender would care if the borrower declined to purchase the owner's policy, but you'll still be required to pay for the lender's policy. Also - depending on your market the owner's policy may be normally accepted as a seller paid cost at closing, so if that's the case unless you negotiate a reduction in purchase price in return for them not paying for the coverage you're not saving anything by not getting owner's coverage anyway.

I picked up the closing costs to gain some other things, and yes I have buy the lenders policy. If it's only $200 that is not a big deal I thought I saw it being much higher than that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, out of curiosity, I dug up my files and I was off a bit: our title insurance was $500. That was for coverage of the full price of the house: $240,800. This was in December 2009, and we were buying a foreclosure, so I would not have waived it even if I'd known that was an option, which I didn't.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
Yay! A brand new problem just came up!
So here we are, offer accepted, inspection done(no big issues, amazing!), loan paperwork all done and right on track. Appraiser from the bank calls our agent and says that the house is right on the inside edge of a FEMA designated 100 year flood zone(and possibly other zone designations, my brain started to melt during the phone call) and may cause an issue with extra insurance that is needed.
Apparently I should have researched the area a bit more. I knew it was a bit worse weather wise, and a bit out of the way, but not too bad.
This particular county is the 2nd most flood prone portion of the state and the #1 repetitive loss area of the region.

So now I've got my agent looking into getting an elevation certificate or some other exemption among other things, which may cut down on the amount we'd have to pay to insurance.
Who knows, may have to start house hunting from scratch again.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The nice thing about flood zones is all the insurance is federally subsidized, it's like welfare basically. When I lived in one of those FEMA 100 year flood zones in the most flood prone area in Colorado in was like an extra $10 a month in insurance the loan agent required and that was it.