Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Four Score posted:

Now imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.
None of them work, one of them is actually a cube, and the furthest one is hurling racial and sexual slurs at your for "being a lucksack"

Oh MODO, will there ever come a time when you are not the lowest hanging fruit on the tree?

For real content, I'm really thinking Slawomir Maniak might be my favorite Magic artist. Dude does solid work that's pretty much always awesome. He even manages to have his own style that hasn't been whitebreaded to poo poo by the style guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

born on a buy you posted:

look at this dude not understanding how changing one class can cause lots of unintended side effects.

gifts calling enterGrave() instead of enterGrave.Gifts() or whatever

Magic is super complicated but MODO is clearly built wrong. As long as we all keep railing drafts, though, there really is no incentive to improve.

edit: and DOTP proves that while its very hard to program something that plays Magic well, its not impossible to program the rules correctly

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 2, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
We can make it a Goon Project. Goon MODO, or GOODO as I like to call it. When the project fails spectacularly like they tend to, the thread can be called "Waiting for GOODO".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Terrible Horse posted:

gifts calling enterGrave() instead of enterGrave.Gifts() or whatever

Magic is super complicated but MODO is clearly built wrong. As long as we all keep railing drafts, though, there really is no incentive to improve.

edit: and DOTP proves that while its very hard to program something that plays Magic well, its not impossible to program the rules correctly

It actually gets quite a lot harder when you're talking about the entire card pool rather than just a subset of easy-to-implement cards. Think about how things like Magical Hack or Blood Moon or Balduvian Shaman affect the way you can implement other cards.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's a bit late but the best Magic April Fool's joke was clearly this thread.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Four Score posted:

We can make it a Goon Project. Goon MODO, or GOODO as I like to call it. When the project fails spectacularly like they tend to, the thread can be called "Waiting for GOODO".

ill make the website

Jabor posted:

It actually gets quite a lot harder when you're talking about the entire card pool rather than just a subset of easy-to-implement cards. Think about how things like Magical Hack or Blood Moon or Balduvian Shaman affect the way you can implement other cards.

its definitely harder, I know that. and occasional breaks should be expected. old cards breaking every time a new set comes out means that somethings really hosed though

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Horse posted:

ill make the website

its definitely harder, I know that. and occasional breaks should be expected. old cards breaking every time a new set comes out means that somethings really hosed though

Well it certainly means they don't have a regression suite, which is ridiculous since the system is so perfectly set up to be testable.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Now I'm wondering if there were keyword mechanics that were developed for new sets that ended up being rejected because MODO programmers came back and were like, "Yeah, that's too hard to program into MODO."

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I know they streamline stuff for MODO, like limiting effects to creatures your opponents control to stop misclicks, or stopping triggers happening when they don't need to. If you've resolved a suspend spell you know that stuff takes a million clicks to get through.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

qbert posted:

Now I'm wondering if there were keyword mechanics that were developed for new sets that ended up being rejected because MODO programmers came back and were like, "Yeah, that's too hard to program into MODO."

According to MaRo, Future Sight tried to do stuff based off Time Machine from Unhinged, but MODO couldn't handle keeping track of information from one game to the next. Somehow.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Minority Deport posted:

According to MaRo, Future Sight tried to do stuff based off Time Machine from Unhinged, but MODO couldn't handle keeping track of information from one game to the next. Somehow.

I can believe that, they probably hardcoded the game to reset after each round or something like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lancelot posted:

I know they streamline stuff for MODO, like limiting effects to creatures your opponents control to stop misclicks, or stopping triggers happening when they don't need to. If you've resolved a suspend spell you know that stuff takes a million clicks to get through.

They also got rid of "you may" on beneficial abilities, so that you don't need to click yes all the time.

Which is kind of funny, because they originally started using "may" to help streamline physical play.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Last night I played my Zedruu in some Commander on MODO and was able to flash in Teferi at EOT and then cast Knowledge Pool. For those who don't know, due to Teferi's clause where opponents can only cast spells when they cast a sorcery, they aren't allowed to cast the 2nd spell from the Pool.

Since it was April Fools (APRIL FOOLS LOL RIGHT), I didn't bother telling people the interactions to see what they would do. I am about 80% sure they had no idea how this rules corner case works, and just assumed the client was bugged (esp since there was so much of that going on yesterday).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

The best part is hearing about the people asking for coders in magic shops and offering a huge pay cut for local rates - including a senior project manager. :allears:

Yeah, they're trying to run what should be a professional software development studio as if it were still an experimental side project on a shoestring budget.

Anyone in the Seattle area who could do good work on MTGO is working for Microsoft or Amazon or Valve or any of the dozens of other software companies based in the area who pay twice as much and might have less terrible management.

The only people working for MTGO are the coders who either weren't good enough to get a job at Microsoft or are willing to take a huge paycut because they love Magic so much.

And they're perpetually in crunch time / crisis mode as they add new sets because they for some reason don't want to higher another dozen people to work on the less urgent stuff like improving the UI.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Death Bot posted:

There was a point where it was $80 at my LGS. VoR spiked hard for a bit, as the only worthwhile card in a small set that no one liked.

I just laugh whenever I see or play that card since its generically the best card ever.

Like, Voice of Resurgence isn't actually the best card ever printed, but practically anyone who even vaguely knows how to play Magic can look at that card and say, "this card is loving overpowered."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

I just laugh whenever I see or play that card since its generically the best card ever.

Like, Voice of Resurgence isn't actually the best card ever printed, but practically anyone who even vaguely knows how to play Magic can look at that card and say, "this card is loving overpowered."

Except for goons in this thread when the card was spoiled.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

Except for goons in this thread when the card was spoiled.

It's actually pretty funny when you have people who know how to play but don't follow current sets since creatures have gotten so good. I have a friend who knows how to play because we played in high school during Revised and I brought over the M15 Clash Pack to play one time and he cast Courser of Kruphix and read the card literally like 5 times and couldn't get over how good that card was.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Yup. I know exactly what it is, and what it does, and i still gently caress up against it. I cast EOT peek when someone had it out, like I just hosed up and in my head I was like "i'm not bolting it" That token was the primary thing that killed me like two turns later.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I'm looking for a good site for prices on MTGO. Specifically, I saw a site once that displayed multiple buyers and sellers, so you could see who had the lowest and highest buys and sells for particular cards. Sound familiar to anyone? Most sites I've found like MTGOTraders just list one price, their own.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
That's the MTGO Library page. I don't have a link but it should be accessible off their main page.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MTGGoldfish will show you averages

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Emerson Cod posted:

That's the MTGO Library page. I don't have a link but it should be accessible off their main page.
This is just what I was looking for, thanks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Does anyone have a good guide on building commander decks? I want to make legitimately casual decks with the Elder Dragons from DTK as the commanders (I don't really care if they're good commanders or not, they're Elder dragons that don't have upkeep costs)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

legitimately casual
:can:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Does anyone have a good guide on building commander decks? I want to make legitimately casual decks with the Elder Dragons from DTK as the commanders (I don't really care if they're good commanders or not, they're Elder dragons that don't have upkeep costs)

Tell me your playgroup's relative skill level and philosophy on competition and understanding of game theory.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Limit yourself to cards from FRF/DTK and play out the Tarkir Dragon Wars :black101:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

C-Euro posted:

Limit yourself to cards from FRF/DTK and play out the Tarkir Dragon Wars :black101:
This, except you can also pick either Nicol Bolas as your commander.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grifter posted:

I'm looking for a good site for prices on MTGO. Specifically, I saw a site once that displayed multiple buyers and sellers, so you could see who had the lowest and highest buys and sells for particular cards. Sound familiar to anyone? Most sites I've found like MTGOTraders just list one price, their own.
There's also mtgowikiprice, which I use. Phone posting so unsure if that's the same as the library thing someone posted earlier.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The anafenza story was a good read

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9470&d=254302&f=MO It looks like Collected Company is the real deal.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9463&f=MO also lmao modern sure looks healthy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9470&d=254302&f=MO It looks like Collected Company is the real deal.

That collected company deck looks terrible. I like it much better in the Zoo shell but I don't think either are all that great.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

#2 deck in the modern PTQ with singleton Peek over Git Probe. THIS IS GOOD MAGIC, BROS.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That collected company deck looks terrible.

and this is how I know it's good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toshimo posted:

#2 deck in the modern PTQ with singleton Peek over Git Probe. THIS IS GOOD MAGIC, BROS.

Twin always plays Peek over Probe...

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Twin always plays Peek over Probe...

Yeah Peek is pretty useful one-of when considering to go for the combo, wtf are you even talking about Toshino? iirc it was even in the winning modern PT list and it's certainly been around lots before.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
People like to pile on mcmagic, but Toshimo has equally and consistently bad opinions on Magic: the Gathering (tm).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whydirt posted:

People like to pile on mcmagic, but Toshimo has equally and consistently bad opinions on Magic: the Gathering (tm).

His opinions are much worse than anything I say. He didn't even know the deck he's bitching about...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

He also has a fat bee avatar in tyool 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

and this is how I know it's good

I want to splash Green in Merfolk for it.

Let me live the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic is wrong/posts dumb opinions about as often as most posters.

he got burned really good one time and it started a tournament and it was honestly pretty funny but now people are trying way too hard trying to pretend he's uniquely wrong about things

• Locked thread