Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redreader posted:

Does anyone here have the costco american express? They're switching to visa at some point in the near future. Is anyone else in the same boat as me:
-I don't want to get the new visa card
-I want to keep this american express card (or switch to a different amex card, but basically keep my amex account open)
-I want to stay at costco, I can use my existing visa card from another bank, to pay (right?) and then not get their new card?
-I'm ok with having to call up american express to 'transfer my account' away from costco or whatever. or will they want to retain me as a customer and try to send me some kind of helpful forms or something?

Is there a way to do all of this?
I'm basically in the same boat. My suspicion is that existing Costco AmEx cards will get converted to a Blue Cash card. Its cash back rates are identical as best as I can tell (save for Costco, obviously) and it has zero annual fee. For folks not interested in Costco at all, it seems to be the equivalent card. As soon as the Costco news broke I immediately opened a Blue Cash Preferred card. It has a $75 annual fee, but the 6% back on groceries seems worth it for me. So right now I'm sitting on two AmEx cards, and think I'll just call to close the Costco one now that it gets no use.

I don't think specifics about how the transition will be handled have been released by AmEx, which is sort of why I just took it into my own hands and opened a Blue Cash Preferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to do this and get 100k miles because that's awesome:

SuperSpiff posted:

So I'm trying to get into is whole miles thing (always had rewards cards before) and I'm getting confused with all these weird names and different flavored cards. Is there like a go-to For Dummies thing you guys use?

If I got for the 100k miles with Barclays & Citi AA cards, is it really just applying for the "US Airways Premier World MasterCard" (like this), paying the 89 bucks then getting the "Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard" (like this) and getting 3k spend on it? Then ditching both and going back to the Chase Sapphire Preferred or whatever?

$89 for 50k is fine because I think I'll be flying transatlantic, and $3000 over 3 months should be doable even without gaming th system. Credit Karma says my score is 730, is that going to be an issue? And do I apply to both at the same time?

Also, right now I use a cash back card. I live in the Midwest, and I'd like to fly to the Pacific Northwest more often, so maybe I should look into a miles card. Is there a general guideline on when it's worth it to get cash back vs miles?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Since US AIrways merged into American Airlines they no longer have their own branded credit cards.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to do this and get 100k miles because that's awesome:

$89 for 50k is fine because I think I'll be flying transatlantic, and $3000 over 3 months should be doable even without gaming th system. Credit Karma says my score is 730, is that going to be an issue? And do I apply to both at the same time?

Also, right now I use a cash back card. I live in the Midwest, and I'd like to fly to the Pacific Northwest more often, so maybe I should look into a miles card. Is there a general guideline on when it's worth it to get cash back vs miles?

I think you missed the boat on the US Airways card; the referral link that I used a week or two ago now redirects to an AAdvantage page. You can still get the AAdvantage card from Citi and that's still 50,000 AA miles, which are pretty valuable.

Credit Karma should be giving you two VantageScores. These aren't going to be used in your lending decision, but they will give you an idea of your credit health. 730 is pretty good, and you should have no trouble getting approved for a few cards.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Yep, looks like the US Airways card is gone for good now. I know Barclaycard took it off their list a while back but you could still apply through US Airways website. USAirways.com has links to the Citi AAdvantage now.

How long does the 50k miles take to hit your account after the annual fee is charged?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
FlyerTalk says that you can still get the US Airways through a referral link and has a whole bunch listed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-links-162.html

Worth a shot at least.

Just for the record, I did exactly what I said above for the 100k miles deal and am eager awaiting the miles to post.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

Yep, looks like the US Airways card is gone for good now. I know Barclaycard took it off their list a while back but you could still apply through US Airways website. USAirways.com has links to the Citi AAdvantage now.

How long does the 50k miles take to hit your account after the annual fee is charged?

I was surprised how quick it was, before the first statement I believe, as long as you buy something and pay both it and the fee right away.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

SuperSpiff posted:

FlyerTalk says that you can still get the US Airways through a referral link and has a whole bunch listed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-links-162.html

Worth a shot at least.

Just for the record, I did exactly what I said above for the 100k miles deal and am eager awaiting the miles to post.

Huh, look at that, I got approved and it's supposedly on the way. Thanks for the heads up!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SuperSpiff posted:

Worth a shot at least.

OK, the referral links said there was a 50k signup bonus on that US Airways card and I was approved so I should get it I hope. I haven't gotten any emails or confirmation though. I also didn't have a Dividends account so I couldn't put something into that field when I signed up. I'm assuming it'll let me link it with my airline account later on? I also applied for the Citi AAVantage card and got approved as well. Again it said 50k signup bonus but I didn't get any email confirmations either so I dunno.

Am I going to get any warnings or notifications that my 1 year is coming up so that I can cancel before I get hit with another year's worth of dues, or should I just set a calendar event for 1 year on my phone right now?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

OK, the referral links said there was a 50k signup bonus on that US Airways card and I was approved so I should get it I hope. I haven't gotten any emails or confirmation though. I also didn't have a Dividends account so I couldn't put something into that field when I signed up. I'm assuming it'll let me link it with my airline account later on? I also applied for the Citi AAVantage card and got approved as well. Again it said 50k signup bonus but I didn't get any email confirmations either so I dunno.

Am I going to get any warnings or notifications that my 1 year is coming up so that I can cancel before I get hit with another year's worth of dues, or should I just set a calendar event for 1 year on my phone right now?

Took me a few hours to get the approval email from Barclaycard. I'm in the same boat as you for the Citi - I just applied/was approved tonight, and still don't have an email, but I expect that's normal.

I'd set reminders for eleven months if you're not planning on holding the card.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never seen a credit card give a warning or notification about the annual fee so I would not expect one. Are you expecting a confirmation email of that you are approved for the card or the signup bonus? The norm seems to be that you receive the first and nothing about the signup bonus ever.

For whoever asked about time until the miles are in your account. The timing is from when you pay the annual fee and make a purchase, not the statement date and you can pay the fee immediately if you want to speed up the process.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm asking for both. It's 2015, everything should be emailed to me.

e: Both cards gave me instant approval and asked me to create logins for the websites. I did this and didn't receive emails from either website about making my account either. This is just really loving strange.

And I'm not going to spend $90/$3000 on either of these cards unless I see somewhere that I /am/ going to get my signup bonus so is there seriously no way to confirm 1) what my signup bonus was and 2) whether or not it's "active"?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 2, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

And I'm not going to spend $90/$3000 on either of these cards unless I see somewhere that I /am/ going to get my signup bonus so is there seriously no way to confirm 1) what my signup bonus was and 2) whether or not it's "active"?

When you get the card in the mail it comes with the terms that you got the card for. No email, just paper, or you could call and ask I guess.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Call the card issuers if you're so worried, not sure what we're going to tell you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You can try calling, but I don't think any of the cards that I've personally signed up for have had any information about the associated sign up bonus. I don't even remember it showing up in the package that you get with the card in the mail, but I could be mistaken there since I normally just skim it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

They get hundreds or thousands of applications every day. If this were a big problem, you'd hear about it. Instead, there are a few people here and there bitching that they did not get their sign-up bonus, and my guess is that these people did not actually go through their referral links.

If the site said you were getting a bonus, you are getting it. If you're really concerned about it, you can call - but the first rule of churning is never call. You run the risk of getting flagged as a churner.

I strongly suspect that everything is hunky-dory and you'll be sitting on 100,000 AA miles here in the next few months. I wouldn't sweat it.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone have a Capital One Quicksilver with an EMV chip?

Website shows it as having one, but nobody online has reported receiving one.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone have a Capital One Quicksilver with an EMV chip?

Website shows it as having one, but nobody online has reported receiving one.

They just started rolling this out in the last few weeks. I'd expect new cards to be EMV, and older accounts to slowly get switched.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

becoming posted:

They just started rolling this out in the last few weeks. I'd expect new cards to be EMV, and older accounts to slowly get switched.

You are correct. I just called them, and they said new cards are being issued with chips.

edit: this is about the Quicksilver and Venture cards only. I didn't ask about the others.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

redreader posted:

Does anyone here have the costco american express? They're switching to visa at some point in the near future. Is anyone else in the same boat as me:
-I don't want to get the new visa card
-I want to keep this american express card (or switch to a different amex card, but basically keep my amex account open)
-I want to stay at costco, I can use my existing visa card from another bank, to pay (right?) and then not get their new card?
-I'm ok with having to call up american express to 'transfer my account' away from costco or whatever. or will they want to retain me as a customer and try to send me some kind of helpful forms or something?

Is there a way to do all of this?

I'm in this situation and am assuming that amex is making GBS threads their pants about losing costco and will send out some compelling bonus offers closer to the deadline to try to retain customers. I've already received some unsolicited card offers from them, which has never happened before.

I'm going to wait and convert to a no fee card as late as possible.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This was more of a credit card question so I'm copying it into this thread:

-----

Wanted to run my situation and plan into this thread.

Current debts:

Mortgage payment 1200/mo starting May 1
Current auto principal: 12,100 @ 6.09% monthly minimum 226.28

That's all well and good. The part where it gets interesting is that my wife had some dental emergencies and now my credit card which I have paid off every month in full since I am 18 now has a balance of $7400, which I don't have to pay off right now. The APR is something like 22%. The limit is $5000 and when I called the customer support line they couldn't quite explain why small purchases are still going through.

Would it make sense to open a new Credit Card (I have credit in the 'excellent' bracket) with a long introductory 0% APR to avoid paying the interest on this debt?

This might also come in handy because we are going to be even further in debt short-term while we do a few projects on our new home.

My concern is that I closed on the house literally this week so I had my credit pulled roughly a month ago. How would opening a new CC affect my credit?

I was thinking of this card, specifically:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/us...D9D230567C67701

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would recommend doing it and doing it quickly, your credit utilization is over 100% so that will probably drop you out of "Excellent" credit once they report it to the credit bureaus.

I don't know too much about cards for balance transfers. The Chase Slate is very popular because it doesn't have a balance transfer fee for 60 days. One thing to look for is cards retroactively charging you interest if you don't have the full balance paid off by the end of the intro period, this is most common on crappy store credit cards though.

The hard pull from your mortgage is basically a non-factor. 1 or 2 or even 8 credit inquiries is not really unusual and has a minimal effect on your score. Your credit utilization is a much more important factor.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

THF13 posted:

I would recommend doing it and doing it quickly, your credit utilization is over 100% so that will probably drop you out of "Excellent" credit once they report it to the credit bureaus.

I don't know too much about cards for balance transfers. The Chase Slate is very popular because it doesn't have a balance transfer fee for 60 days. One thing to look for is cards retroactively charging you interest if you don't have the full balance paid off by the end of the intro period, this is most common on crappy store credit cards though.

The hard pull from your mortgage is basically a non-factor. 1 or 2 or even 8 credit inquiries is not really unusual and has a minimal effect on your score. Your credit utilization is a much more important factor.

Awesome, thanks for that advice. Now I just have to run it past my wife :V

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Barclaycard's Ring gives 1% as statement credits on balance transfers with no fee. Only issue I know of with that card is ridiculously low limits.

VV Correct

nickutz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 3, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nickutz posted:

Barclaycard's Ring gives 1% as statement credits on balance transfers with no fee. Only issue I know of with that card is ridiculously low limits.

And 8%APR, isn't it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got a Ring with a $10k limit but then they very quickly dropped the limit to $5k, thankfully after I'd moved my $10k onto it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I got a Ring with a $10k limit but then they very quickly dropped the limit to $5k, thankfully after I'd moved my $10k onto it.

Did they give rationale for the drop?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

Current auto principal: 12,100 @ 6.09% monthly minimum 226.28

Get this refinanced, holy poo poo. That is an enormously high APR for someone with credit in the excellent bracket. I have a used auto loan with a 1.24% APR.

Chase Slate is a great balance transfer card, I have recommended it to several friends and it has been great for all of them. Make sure you can pay off your balance in the fifteen months that they allow you. It isn't a rewards card, but you don't need a rewards card, you need a "get out of debt cheaply" card and the Slate is the best one for that.

As for how a new card will affect your credit: the inquiry will probably ding you 2-5 points, your utilization will go down (which can be huge), and if you don't have many accounts, then having another one will give you a boost. You might lose a few points for average age of accounts going down. Overall, since your current utilization is so high, your FICO & VantageScore scores will almost certainly go up, and will continue to do so as the accounts age and you keep paying down the debt and lowering your utilization.

becoming fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 3, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Argh, what the hell. I applied for the Alaska Airlines BofA card yesterday and got a screen that said my application was receiving further consideration and I'd be hearing from them in the mail. My credit score is slightly over 800, I have five cards with a combined limit of ~$25,000 (and like ~$3,000 current utilization), and I haven't applied for anything since January. I did recently lower the limit on a couple cards, but I can't imagine that's the problem.

Anyway, I hope I get the 25,000 mile card in the mail. I was hoping to open three of these over the next 12-14 months to get a Cathay award.

e: and my AA account is still missing 50,000+ miles as well :mad:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cacafuego posted:

Did they give rationale for the drop?

Not that I can find, but it happened basically right away. Looking at my first statement I was already $5k overlimit. I wonder if I hit some kind of threshold with available credit/number of lines or something, as according to my Discover card I had around a ~50 point drop in my credit score around then.

Also I am bad with money beep boop.

They don't charge an over limit fee so it doesn't affect me at all.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

Argh, what the hell. I applied for the Alaska Airlines BofA card yesterday and got a screen that said my application was receiving further consideration and I'd be hearing from them in the mail. My credit score is slightly over 800, I have five cards with a combined limit of ~$25,000 (and like ~$3,000 current utilization), and I haven't applied for anything since January. I did recently lower the limit on a couple cards, but I can't imagine that's the problem.

Anyway, I hope I get the 25,000 mile card in the mail. I was hoping to open three of these over the next 12-14 months to get a Cathay award.

e: and my AA account is still missing 50,000+ miles as well :mad:

You may be approaching your exposure limit with BoA, especially depending on your current income. You should call the recon number and talk to them now. 1-866-865-7843 (they will answer in Spanish, just say "English, por favor?" and then you're good to go. They will speak English.) Just tell them you recently applied for a card and got the pending review screen and wanted to see if there was anything you could to accelerate the process.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure if this is the thread for it, but how good an idea is it to open up a credit card to do a one-time free balance transfer on my normal credit card (I normally pay off my CC every month) and let that balance of like 2.5k sit on the new card interest free while I use that extra 2.5k to chuck into student loans? the loans are at 6.5% so I don't see any reason to not pull this trick once. I'd have to pay it off before the balance starts getting interest, but I'd have saved like 2500 x.065 dollars per year over one and a half years? Am I right or is this not how it works?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

redreader posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but how good an idea is it to open up a credit card to do a one-time free balance transfer on my normal credit card (I normally pay off my CC every month) and let that balance of like 2.5k sit on the new card interest free while I use that extra 2.5k to chuck into student loans? the loans are at 6.5% so I don't see any reason to not pull this trick once. I'd have to pay it off before the balance starts getting interest, but I'd have saved like 2500 x.065 dollars per year over one and a half years? Am I right or is this not how it works?

Unless you get a Chase Slate, you'll pay a balance transfer fee of 3% (you might find a card a little lower, but the Slate is the only one with fee-free transfers for the first 60 days the account is open). They give you fifteen (15) months interest-free, so that's your timeline. Otherwise, it's costing you $75 just to move the money, which makes other cards a significantly less-good deal.

Provided you can be disciplined and make the payments on the Slate such that you don't wind up paying interest on it, I don't see anything wrong with the idea. Your utilization might go up, which will cause your FICO scores to drop, but there is no history on utilization, so as soon as it's all paid off, your scores will be back to normal (actually, almost certainly higher than they are now). The new account will possibly pull down your FICO too (average age of accounts will drop, though adding another paid-as-agreed account is not necessarily a bad thing), but again, this will all go back up in time.

You will need to keep making at least the minimums on the Slate. I'd split the $2500 by 14 and pay $180/month.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bisty Q. posted:

You may be approaching your exposure limit with BoA, especially depending on your current income. You should call the recon number and talk to them now. 1-866-865-7843 (they will answer in Spanish, just say "English, por favor?" and then you're good to go. They will speak English.) Just tell them you recently applied for a card and got the pending review screen and wanted to see if there was anything you could to accelerate the process.

Thanks. I was thinking about calling reconsideration, but I've heard (at least wrt other cards) that calling recon can draw too much attention to your profile. Have you had this happen with BoA before?

I am really curious about the rationale behind the review. My income is just under $60,000, so I would guess that's not the reason, but who knows maybe they're more conservative.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Man, this redbird thing looks pretty sweet, especially considering a participating target is right next to a costco we go to every week, so its not like I'd have to go out of my way to make a few bucks. I have a Fidelity amex with 2%, but is there a better card I should be shoving all that revolving cash on if I get a few redbirds? Go for 110k and the southwest companion pass maybe? We only fly them maybe three times a year, so it wouldnt be a *huge* win - but I think with the miles being worth a little over 1% it would end up being better than the flat 2% cash.... are there any other cards with big perks for being able to put a lot of dollars on it?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

I was thinking about calling reconsideration, but I've heard (at least wrt other cards) that calling recon can draw too much attention to your profile.

Are you planning on churning a boatload of BofA cards? If you're worried about it, wait for the denial letter and then call. At that point, you really have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. There are tips out there for calling recon, but the basic gist of it is to have a solid explanation for why you want the card ("I want the points" is not solid).

Barclaycard is notoriously stingy about handing out multiple cards in a short timeframe. I got an Arrival+ in early March and then, on March 20, decided I wanted a US Airways MasterCard (also through Barclaycard). I applied, got the "pending review" email, and called them the next morning. They asked about why a high-limit card of mine had no balance on it ("been using my Arrival+ instead, since I like it so much - and if the history went back before this current month, you'd see that I've used that card every month for the last thirteen years"), and asked why I wanted the card. I told them that I fly US Airways with some regularity (truth), and that a friend who has the card and likes it had recommended it to me, and when I read that it was going away soon, I went ahead and applied because "if I'm going to have a US Airways/American Airways card, I'd rather have it with Barclaycard than Citi". Approved, have a great weekend Mr. Becoming.

Unless you are applying for BofA cards with great regularity and are often calling the reconsideration line, I really wouldn't worry about it.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Baddog posted:

Man, this redbird thing looks pretty sweet, especially considering a participating target is right next to a costco we go to every week, so its not like I'd have to go out of my way to make a few bucks. I have a Fidelity amex with 2%, but is there a better card I should be shoving all that revolving cash on if I get a few redbirds? Go for 110k and the southwest companion pass maybe? We only fly them maybe three times a year, so it wouldnt be a *huge* win - but I think with the miles being worth a little over 1% it would end up being better than the flat 2% cash.... are there any other cards with big perks for being able to put a lot of dollars on it?

How little is your time worth that you're considering spending hours upon hours of it for three cheap Southwest tickets per year? You also run the risk of the credit card issuers going "uh, you claim you make $80k/year and you're spending $110k... we are going to report this". Add in SARs for good measure, if someone at Target thinks you're up to something.

I think Redbird is useful if you've gotta hit the last $1,000 or whatever on a minimum spend for a sign-on bonus, but I wouldn't make a way of life out of it. Life is too short and the risks, while not terribly high, are real. Reports exist of AmEx shutting down accounts and money getting lost in the ether. If that happens to even just $500, you're basically taking a loss on the year.

In short: make sure you are well aware of all the potential downsides before you start thinking about doing $110k of manufactured spending at your neighborhood Target.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

becoming posted:

How little is your time worth that you're considering spending hours upon hours of it for three cheap Southwest tickets per year? You also run the risk of the credit card issuers going "uh, you claim you make $80k/year and you're spending $110k... we are going to report this". Add in SARs for good measure, if someone at Target thinks you're up to something.

I think Redbird is useful if you've gotta hit the last $1,000 or whatever on a minimum spend for a sign-on bonus, but I wouldn't make a way of life out of it. Life is too short and the risks, while not terribly high, are real. Reports exist of AmEx shutting down accounts and money getting lost in the ether. If that happens to even just $500, you're basically taking a loss on the year.

In short: make sure you are well aware of all the potential downsides before you start thinking about doing $110k of manufactured spending at your neighborhood Target.

If I got 4 cards, at 2% that'd be $80 every time I go to costco for like 10 minutes work....I dunno about you but that beats my hourly! I hear you on the other stuff, although I think even if it did happen it would just be a waste of time hassle, not long term loss of money or credit...

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Baddog posted:

If I got 4 cards, at 2% that'd be $80 every time I go to costco for like 10 minutes work....I dunno about you but that beats my hourly! I hear you on the other stuff, although I think even if it did happen it would just be a waste of time hassle, not long term loss of money or credit...

So far, 2 out of 3 Targets I've gone to ask me to go to customer service in order to load the cards and check ID. I only ever load 1k; I've never even tried to do the 2/2/0.5k load. Today, the customer service cashier said the manager had to come over to verify my ID and my credit card. I've never had money lost, but I always save the receipt and everything I do is relatively normal on the card.

Some people have multiple Redbirds and do what you're proposing with ease, but with each thing you do that's outside of what resembles a regular transaction, you risk being shut down by a manager. Everything is YMMV. I've read of guys doing 10k a day on cards with no complaint through Simon Mall GCs. I've also read of multiple people getting blacklisted by Chase for life as a unsatisfactory customer.

AMEX Blue Cash is 6% back at supermarkets up to $6k a year. Citi has the double cash card, 2% back no limits. You can do Freedom when there's a 5% bonus on a place that sells GCs and try to load with your GCs, but sometimes cashiers won't do that either.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Multiple Redbirds, multiple targets, multiple banks (Amex, Visa, MC) and free travel errry day.

Seriously though, I know people (real life, not internet) that do 300-400k points a year and have been a decade. $5-15k/mo is small fries if you're smart and not greedy with dealing with management, etc.

Redbirds will get shut down for MS at some point but there are many other ways to skin this cat.

After I hit my current goal for summer vacation I'm going to get a Chase rewards to split the $15k I MS each month which will release pressure off the AMEX cards. The financial reviews are only really a concern if you're making 30k and MSing 10-15k a month. They're rare to boot. The grumpkins in the dark. Every conversation I've had with AMEX they have taken the position that I am free to do whatever within my limit.