Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Office satisfies industry but doesn't produce things for your retail sector, so they'll need to ship more in from outside the city, which I think cuts revenue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Office satisfies industry but doesn't produce things for your retail sector, so they'll need to ship more in from outside the city, which I think cuts revenue?

Couldn't you just offset this with like a receiving sector that is basically highway connection and rail depot that brings goods in then delivers to the needed places?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know if anyone has ever hit it, I'm just assuming cause I ran into the opposite side of the problem, but presumably there's only a finite volume of goods per amount of time available to import.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Starhawk64 posted:

The people who live in that little house must get very annoyed at the huge horde of people that stands right outside their doorstep every day.

Actually no. They wheel a hot dog cart out to their front lawn and make thousands a day.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MikeJF posted:

Does Office satisfy just industry, or both industry and commercial?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've devoted about 1% of risk build space to office with no negative effects. I can't figure out what it does and then I get paranoid and build 100 squares worth every couple of hours.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, I can't figure out what offices do either, besides steal educated workers from commercial and industrial. They don't even become tall skyscrapers like commercial and residential do.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 2, 2015

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, I can't figure out what offices do either, besides steal educated workers from commercial and industrial. They don't even become tall skyscrapers like commercial and residential do.

As far as I know, they're literally just there to provide jobs for smart people and pay tax.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Starhawk64 posted:

At level 3 they become the tallest flashiest skyscrapers, or just a high tech low rise.

I think their niche is supposed to be job density and existing outside the supply chain. The second part is a boon and a burden at the same time on paper since the supply chain helps magnify tax revenue, except tax revenue stops mattering pretty early on, so you just get the boon of jobs without associated truck traffic.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Starhawk64 posted:

Yeah, I can't figure out what offices do either, besides steal educated workers from commercial and industrial.

That's 100% the point of offices.

Offices fill the requirement for industrial, but they don't work like the regular industrial buildings. Normally, most industrial buildings require imports and exports in order to function (thereby generating massive amounts of traffic), are loud, and pollute heavily. Offices fill the same desire as industrial, but they do not import or export, are not loud, and are pollution free.

Offices:
+Light traffic
+No pollution
+Quiet
-Low job/tile ratio
-Do not actually produce anything

Industrial:
+High job/tile ratio
+Produce goods for commercial buildings
-Heavy traffic
-Pollution
-Loud

You basically need to look at the advantages and disadvantages and decide which building type to use in order to satisfy your industrial demand.

Bold Robot posted:

Does Office satisfy just industry, or both industry and commercial?

Just industry.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 2, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shanakin posted:

Industry fails not due to over-education, but just plain old worker shortages.

Yeah, much like IRL, there will always be plenty of people who must resort to toiling in a miserable factory because the market in their educated field got too saturated and/or remains occupied by Boomers.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Offices:
-Low job/tile ratio

Industrial:
+High job/tile ratio
Just a quick survey comparing the first comparable sized plots I could find at level 3, in this case a 3x4, but the industry was 24 jobs and the office 20 so they are very comparable by the end.

At which point I would add it seems a lot easier to get industry to level 3 than offices at level 3 but I might be missing a trick for offices.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, is there any good way to predict dam behavior? It evened out after a little while, but my new hydroelectric plant initially flooded a suburb after its reservoir filled to operating capacity and it started allowing outflow.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Is there such a thing as a parking lot mod that sims will actually use to park their cars? I downloaded a bunch of parking lots, but since they're considered parks, they all have a ton of people congregating in them instead of cars.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

zedprime posted:

Just a quick survey comparing the first comparable sized plots I could find at level 3, in this case a 3x4, but the industry was 24 jobs and the office 20 so they are very comparable by the end.

At which point I would add it seems a lot easier to get industry to level 3 than offices at level 3 but I might be missing a trick for offices.

Industrial buildings of the same plot size usually have about 1/3 more jobs than offices of the same plot size. IIRC there isn't a massive leap between T2 and T3 offices, but there is one between T2 and T3 industrial.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Offices fill the requirement for industrial, but they don't work like the regular industrial buildings. Normally, most industrial buildings require imports and exports in order to function (thereby generating massive amounts of traffic), are loud, and pollute heavily. Offices fill the same desire as industrial, but they do not import or export, are not loud, and are pollution free.

It would be cool if commercial had to supply "stuff" to industrial offices, like temp agencies producing administrative staff or cleaning staff or whatever. Or maybe a uniform washing service, that sort of thing.

Or some kind of supply chain system, where offices buy things from commercial zones and the commercial zones have to buy supplies from industry. The latter part of that is already in game, they just gotta complete the circle.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There needs to be a version of the internal resolution mod, only meant for screenshots. You press a key and it pauses the game, bumps the internal resolution to 4x, takes a steam screenshot and then returns to normal without making you fight the resolution change menu while the game is running at 3 FPS :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The pop re-balance mod actually makes office way more "job dense" so you don't have to blanket huge areas with them. Man are they a bitch to level up though. I know there's some level up mods out there but it's something CO should probably re-balance a bit.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Any up to date sales figures? It has been top on Steam for weeks now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Elman posted:

There needs to be a version of the internal resolution mod, only meant for screenshots. You press a key and it pauses the game, bumps the internal resolution to 4x, takes a steam screenshot and then returns to normal without making you fight the resolution change menu while the game is running at 3 FPS :v:

There is! It was added in 1.0.7b, it's probably not 4x, but you can always try it out and see if it fits your need.

quote:

Misc: Added screenshot shortcuts to rebindable input (default is F12 for normal screenshot and shift+F12 for hi-res screenshot, also local screenshots now go to gameUserFolder/Screenshots) Steam screenshot feature is untouched and still the preferred method to take screenshots

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I hope they're good numbers, and I hope paradox let CO go nuts with patches/tools/DLC.

I want moooore.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SubNat posted:

There is! It was added in 1.0.7b, it's probably not 4x, but you can always try it out and see if it fits your need.

There's always a mod for that :allears:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Metrication posted:

Any up to date sales figures? It has been top on Steam for weeks now.

no particular numbers I think, but an article is going around saying that PDX made $18.5 million off Pillars and Cities in three weeks. I think the game's future is quite bright

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

TheQat posted:

no particular numbers I think, but an article is going around saying that PDX made $18.5 million off Pillars and Cities in three weeks. I think the game's future is quite bright

With Cities apparently outselling Pillars during the first 24 hours after launch. A game that outsells an obsidian rpg isn't doing poorly, that's for sure.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SubNat posted:

What loving folder is gameUserFolder? I am stumped by this, unless this feature isn't working at the moment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

What loving folder is gameUserFolder? I am stumped by this, unless this feature isn't working at the moment.

I'm sure there's some good reason for this but man I hate how modern games store files all over your computer. Remember the days when every single file related to a game was stored in the game's directory? Anyways skylines stores some things within steam, not the skylines steam folder but bullshit /community/workshop sort of folders. They also store stuff in roam/appdata, and I think even in some mydocuments sub folder. It's allll over the place.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hit Win+R, type: %localappdata%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

nielsm posted:

Hit Win+R, type: %localappdata%\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines

There's not a screenshots folder in the roaming, local, documents, or steam library folders. I have no clue where the game is sending these screenshots.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sure there's some good reason for this but man I hate how modern games store files all over your computer. Remember the days when every single file related to a game was stored in the game's directory? Anyways skylines stores some things within steam, not the skylines steam folder but bullshit /community/workshop sort of folders. They also store stuff in roam/appdata, and I think even in some mydocuments sub folder. It's allll over the place.

I'm not convinced there's an actual good reason. I think there's some over-engineered software configuration MS-encouraged standardization-for-its-own sake bullshit reason that it got started.

I suppose it's meant to segregate user-specific files into directories that are tied to a Windows account, like everyone in the family has their own login (I've seen this happen almost never). But for games, who gives a poo poo? Just provide a basic file browser with the ability to create directories for save management if you don't want to bother with some kind of profile system in the game.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

jerkstore77 posted:

Is there such a thing as a parking lot mod that sims will actually use to park their cars? I downloaded a bunch of parking lots, but since they're considered parks, they all have a ton of people congregating in them instead of cars.

Yes. Its really easy to make your own in the asset editor, you just have to place parking spot markers so that cars will know to park there.

However cim parking behaviour is kind of dumb. Your parking lots will be mostly empty unless you clear the area of street parking, and then, you'll see your cims parking lots fill up although the owners of the cars will mostly be at their homes instead of whatever building the parking lot was supposed to serve.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Somehow I hosed things up, and I'm wondering if anybody has advice on how to fix it.

I was trying to build all of the monuments/unique buildings. one requires 10,000 squares of built office space. So I did that. Only after I did that, my commercial sector TANKED. Like, I have maybe 5% of my commercial buildings. I have 0 demand for commercial, and 0 demand for residential. I have a sliver of demand for industrial. These demands have not changed in a few hours of game time. I tried a bunch of things, mostly zoning in a ton of new residential so that new workers would come fill up my commercial jobs, but the houses won't build (i'm guessing due to 0 demand). Meanwhile, my available jobs are skyrocketing, and my emplyment percent is like 50%. Industry is clamoring for workers, more and more commercial is getting abandoned.

I said "gently caress it" and dezoned all of my office at once, thinking everybody would flood back into the industrial and commerical jobs. Nope, instead employment falls to below 30%.

I have 140k people in this city, and nobody is working. After all that deletion, I still have no demand for anything. All my property values are high as poo poo, and i have full services and full education. What the gently caress is going on?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

crabrock posted:

Somehow I hosed things up, and I'm wondering if anybody has advice on how to fix it.

I was trying to build all of the monuments/unique buildings. one requires 10,000 squares of built office space. So I did that. Only after I did that, my commercial sector TANKED. Like, I have maybe 5% of my commercial buildings. I have 0 demand for commercial, and 0 demand for residential. I have a sliver of demand for industrial. These demands have not changed in a few hours of game time. I tried a bunch of things, mostly zoning in a ton of new residential so that new workers would come fill up my commercial jobs, but the houses won't build (i'm guessing due to 0 demand). Meanwhile, my available jobs are skyrocketing, and my emplyment percent is like 50%. Industry is clamoring for workers, more and more commercial is getting abandoned.

I said "gently caress it" and dezoned all of my office at once, thinking everybody would flood back into the industrial and commerical jobs. Nope, instead employment falls to below 30%.

I have 140k people in this city, and nobody is working. After all that deletion, I still have no demand for anything. All my property values are high as poo poo, and i have full services and full education. What the gently caress is going on?

It seems like you've inadvertently created a post-scarcity utopia. Everyone is at home eating food from their replicators.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Lower taxes maybe?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Supraluminal posted:

I'm not convinced there's an actual good reason. I think there's some over-engineered software configuration MS-encouraged standardization-for-its-own sake bullshit reason that it got started.

I suppose it's meant to segregate user-specific files into directories that are tied to a Windows account, like everyone in the family has their own login (I've seen this happen almost never). But for games, who gives a poo poo? Just provide a basic file browser with the ability to create directories for save management if you don't want to bother with some kind of profile system in the game.

Part if not the main reason is games/software that are installed in the two Program Files folders won't be able to write to their own folders unless run as administrator. There are ways to disable this, of course, but for the regular user who doesn't even know about admin rights that's too much.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

There's not a screenshots folder in the roaming, local, documents, or steam library folders. I have no clue where the game is sending these screenshots.

Yeah I'm actually having the same problem. The game does something when you press Shift+F12 but the screenshots are nowhere to be seen.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Starhawk64 posted:

Lower taxes maybe?

I had them at 4% for 20 weeks for another monument thing.

Nothing changed.

edit: i lost a lot of money though.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 2, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think taxes have any effect on demand. I think there is a maximum rate each building will pay dependent on its level and happiness. Anything above this optimal number makes them upset, anything lower does gently caress all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

crabrock posted:

Did everyone in your city get old all of a sudden or something? What happens if you zone a pile of new residential?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

HopperUK posted:

Did everyone in your city get old all of a sudden or something? What happens if you zone a pile of new residential?

My death rate DID spike and my birth rate is super low, so maybe? I zoned a bunch of new residential and it sits there blank. It has water and power connections, tons of parks, and is even preloaded with all the services. BUT the RCI is nothing, nothing, sliver.

Maybe I just hit a bug or something. For the parts of my city that are still functioning, everything looks beautiful and skyscrappery, but then there are just huge deadzones of abandoned buildings (all my old commercial sectors) and the revolving door of industry abandonment.

curiously, forestry industry seems to do just fine. I'm exporting a shitload of wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Elman posted:

Yeah I'm actually having the same problem. The game does something when you press Shift+F12 but the screenshots are nowhere to be seen.

In current rolled back 1.06b, the high resolution screenshots go to [your steam root folder]/steamapps/common/Cities_Skylines/Cities_Data. However each high resolution screenshot is named "Screenshot.png", so they overwrite each other. Alt-tab out to move the file elsewhere if you want to take multiple screenshots in one session.