Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Funny how "hey, X, stop complaining - they treat X way worse elsewhere" seems to reinforce existing power structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

VitalSigns posted:

There is no discrimination against Christians in America. Comparing real discrimination to imaginary discrimination is not the same as comparing real discrimination to real-but-not-as-bad discrimination.

Not being allowed to force your religious values on everyone else is totally discrimination!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PhilippAchtel posted:

You feel discriminated against as a Christian and want a law to ensure your religious freedom? Well, let me tell you what they do to Christians in <insert bad country>. Maybe you just need to harden up?

No see Christians facing repression in other countries shows that American Christians are highly persecuted and need to fight back. Everyone else getting persecuted in other countries means that they have to love America more since it could be worse for you (HINT HINT).

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress you Tom Cotton. gently caress you and the letter you wrote to Iran, and the letter you wrote to the UN saying that Obama cannot negotiate Climate treaties.

loving Christ, this guy is to Iran what Giuliani is to 9/11.

"So, Senator Cotton, what is your opinion on this RFRA bill?"

"Well, in Iran..."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

No see Christians facing repression in other countries shows that American Christians are highly persecuted and need to fight back. Everyone else getting persecuted in other countries means that they have to love America more since it could be worse for you (HINT HINT).

Oh God this reminds me of the Dinesh D'Souza movie my dad took the whole family to that was basically this for two hours.

*Interviews Sioux woman who thinks it's hosed up that the federal government broke a treaty with their people and won't give back the sacred land they seized*
"Shame on you savages for not loving America enough!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Oh God this reminds me of the Dinesh D'Souza movie my dad took the whole family to that was basically this for two hours.

Dinesh D'Souza: The ultimate irony considering how his country treats class differences.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lincoln-continental-concept-new-york-motor-show-2015-04-02

So will the President go back to using a Continental instead of a Cadillac now that Lincoln is brining it back?

Sure, it has a checkered history, but it looks great!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

VitalSigns posted:

There is no discrimination against Christians in America. Comparing real discrimination to imaginary discrimination is not the same as comparing real discrimination to real-but-not-as-bad discrimination.

On monday, my business partner claimed that as being a Christian he's discriminated against. Me & the other guy in the car were baffled. But then I had to get out of the car to catch my plane. Looking forward to finding out more about this from him since he's a very reasonable level-headed guy who hates Fox news.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gounads posted:

On monday, my business partner claimed that as being a Christian he's discriminated against. Me & the other guy in the car were baffled. But then I had to get out of the car to catch my plane. Looking forward to finding out more about this from him since he's a very reasonable level-headed guy who hates Fox news.
I assume they're making a mistake between personal discrimination (some guy they know said they don't really like religion so much), and systemic discrimination from governments and businesses. It's a common mistake to make, clearly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 2, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It was going to be VERY hard for Tom Cotton to be bigger piece of poo poo than the person he replaced in the senate but he's doing it... Kudos.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/01/us/water-use-in-california.html?_r=0

NYT has a graphic up of how much water is being used in California. Unexpectedly, gated communities of rich old whites are using the most.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/01/us/water-use-in-california.html?_r=0

NYT has a graphic up of how much water is being used in California. Unexpectedly, gated communities of rich old whites are using the most.

Big ag is using all the water. Everything else is a rounding error.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

I figured it was golf courses. Don't those use more water per square foot than like fifteen bathtubs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

On that note, after Duke announced their opposition to Indiana's RFRA, a noose popped up on campus.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/01/noose-reported-bryan-center-plaza#.VR1hsfnF-30

Probably has more to do with racism, but either way, the fact that nooses are showing up says a lot about some of the people Tom Cotton and others represents.

Thats a pretty terrible noose.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

In which Obama does a (bad) Frank Underwood impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1Nmy4gZIk&t=239s

Is it weird that I was getting kinda emotional watching this? LIke, everything that occured aside, I'm still real thankful that we got a guy like this elected?

Ecch...need to read something horrible I guess.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it was golf courses. Don't those use more water per square foot than like fifteen bathtubs?

The NYT map is exclusively residential water use.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Lot of courses out in Palm Springs so yeah, but almost all the homes out there have landscaping that's like 90% lawn with a few palm trees that provide little to no shade.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "What's going on right now between us and Israel used to be accompanied by a kiss on the cheek and thirty pieces of silver. We're truly looking at a Pontius Pilate President." ~ Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA).

(Don't think about his analogy too long. It makes no sense.)

Hey, you could just say 'Hey Million Dollar Baby" you don't have to reference the specific actress.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

mcmagic posted:

Seriously, morons who insist on watering their green lawns in the motherfucking desert aren't helping, but it's a kind of reverse welfare queen thing where they're teaching you to hate .003% of the problem. Big Ag and coolant for power generation are much bigger problems, and lovely-rear end infrastructure too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

The NYT map is exclusively residential water use.

Yeah you wouldn't even see if the residential usage if ag was included. Doesn't even compare, well Coachella might since they're just watering a desert they threw sod on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

pathetic little tramp posted:

Seriously, morons who insist on watering their green lawns in the motherfucking desert aren't helping, but it's a kind of reverse welfare queen thing where they're teaching you to hate .003% of the problem. Big Ag and coolant for power generation are much bigger problems, and lovely-rear end infrastructure too.
It's easier to argue that those are essential uses of water though, right?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

how the gently caress could somebody possibly use over 230 gallons per day

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, people who pay close attention to residential water use in the desert we've turned into farmland are like isolationists who get angry about how much money goes into foreign aid but don't care about what goes into foreign wars.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It wouldn't make a big splash on either the US or the world economy if we just imported what we can't grow in the literal desert with existing water supplies.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 2, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

This is was Bob Hope's house out in Palm Springs.

Look at how loving green that grass is man.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The other problem is that when the droughts get bad enough you can cut Ag water deliveries to 0 (just like the Central Valley Project has done for the last 2 years). You can't cut water deliveries to cities below "Health and Safety" levels. If things get bad enough, there won't be enough water to keep all cities above that level and then we're hosed.

Now we could free up 50% of all the water used in California...if we just let the rivers dry out. Who needs Salmon anyway?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the argument then is more "we shouldn't need to do this because we've essentially terraformed a martian landscape to look like midwest suburbs and farmlands and surprisingly that's not sustainable", i.e. if there were less sprawl, all that power generation wouldn't be nearly as necessary; but that's one of those big problems like systemic racism that there's not really a solution for because we're here now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pinball posted:

Are there any states that won't have issues with food and water in the coming years? Perhaps I should get out of Texas, if things are just going to get worse.

I can't speak much for the food sourcing, but NYC has one of the best systems in any major city for water supply

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

PupsOfWar posted:

Those are the winter numbers, click the summer button at the top and some are over 600

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I can't speak much for the food sourcing, but NYC has one of the best systems in any major city for water supply

Yeah, it's pretty amazing what they managed to plan and do well over a century ago to secure numerous diverse sources of water and protect the areas around them. The water system arranged for the city alone has the potential to be able to serve something crazy like 4 times the current population when the number 3 water tunnel finishes.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah the crop choices of Californian farmers are insane when you look at what they are growing and where they are growing it. Ask the people around the Aral Sea how similar Soviet crop choices worked out for them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

Making sure you can get peaches and asparagus in December isn't really essential when compared to a megadrought.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ethiser posted:

Yeah the crop choices of Californian farmers are insane when you look at what they are growing and where they are growing it. Ask the people around the Aral Sea how similar Soviet crop choices worked out for them.

If you look at the statistics, it's really forage foods for cattle that are the most aggregious users. But we love our hamburgers and milkshakes far too much to cut back.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Making sure you can get peaches and asparagus in December isn't really essential when compared to a megadrought.

Even if we stopped irrigating those two crops, period, it wouldn't lessen the impact of this draught. Remember, Ag users have already seen water deliveries cut to 0 in some cases.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

Seriously, the waste steam getting used for that on a carrier cranks out 400,000 gallons a day. Granted, California needs ~20 billion gallons a day (BotE) but that 400,000 was low pressure secondary steam and a fraction of the output. Someone check my math on this but back of the envelope, Wikipedia says high end of electric desalinization is 6 kWh per cubic meter (seems real low but w/e); call it 10 for ease and inefficiencies. A cubic meter of water is 264 gallons, keep the math simple and say 110 kWh gets you 250 gallons. Go with a low end Westinghouse 200 mWe SMR, that's 72 million kWh electric. 72m/10*250= 18 billion gallons of potable water an hour, almost all of what they currently use for residential, industrial, and agricultural.

Build a bigger dedicated facility (1 GW, minimum 4 active, implement a more efficient method) and you can export it to all the other states.

I get "we need osmotic purification for *insert place here*" when that random place has no infrastructure and is overrun with warlords and nutjobs. This is California. We can build this here with no problems, hell the 200 mW demo can be up in under 5 years even if they drag their feet. If you go flat out it can probably be up in a single year.

We know the loving solution. Do it!

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 2, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

California.txt

They are so busy shutting down ALL their nuclear plants (Fukushima :qq:) to replace them with....

Solar and Natural Gas. Solar I am okay with, but Natural Gas is such a irony considering how environmentally damaging is.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I thought it better to burn methane than to have it released into the atmosphere.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Seriously, the waste steam getting used for that on a carrier cranks out 400,000 gallons a day. Granted, California needs ~20 billion gallons a day (BotE) but that 400,000 was low pressure secondary steam and a fraction of the output. Someone check my math on this but back of the envelope, Wikipedia says high end of electric desalinization is 6 kWh per cubic meter (seems real low but w/e); call it 10 for ease and inefficiencies. A cubic meter of water is 264 gallons, keep the math simple and say 110 kWh gets you 250 gallons. Go with a low end Westinghouse 200 mWe SMR, that's 72 million kWh electric. 72m/10*250= 18 billion gallons of potable water an hour, almost all of what they currently use for residential, industrial, and agricultural.

Build a bigger dedicated facility (1 GW, minimum 4 active, implement a more efficient method) and you can export it to all the other states.

I get "we need osmotic purification for *insert place here*" when that random place has no infrastructure and is overrun with warlords and nutjobs. This is California. We can build this here with no problems, hell the 200 mW demo can be up in under 5 years even if they drag their feet. If you go flat out it can probably be up in a single year.

I'm assuming that this is a joke because it started with "speed build a nuke plant" but do you happen to have the numbers for how many plants will be required to pump this water, how much brine is produced, or current state of soil salinization?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

I thought it better to burn methane than to have it released into the atmosphere.

The problem is not that methane is not cleaner burning than coal, it really is, but the fact that the extraction method and the heavy leakage is kind of an issue, considering methane is a much more potent greenhouse gas than CO2 and the average leak rate from extraction is 3-5%

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

California.txt

They are so busy shutting down ALL their nuclear plants (Fukushima :qq:) to replace them with....

Solar and Natural Gas. Solar I am okay with, but Natural Gas is such a irony considering how environmentally damaging is.

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm assuming that this is a joke because it started with "speed build a nuke plant" but do you happen to have the numbers for how many plants will be required to pump this water, how much brine is produced, or current state of soil salinization?

We are talking about enough power to run a city, the consumption of the pumps is negligible compared to that. Soil state is an issue of "how do we use potable water", not "how to we get access to it". I know our treatment of farmland is abysmal, but that's really a separate topic since it isn't water availability or scarcity that drives that, it's farming methodology and crop selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

But that would cost money! And big government! :supaburn:

• Locked thread