Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

#slatepitch: a cringeworthy "no means no" rape analogy

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

It was mostly because he announced he was running for president I expect.
Ah, thought he just wrote "the last days".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What was the latest date a major candidate formally announced anything related to running (e.g. exploratory committee, etc) for president?

I know it's almost a year ahead of the 2016 primaries, but even before the historic earlier-and-earlier creep of campaign season, wouldn't Warren be doing something by now? Other than adamantly denying any intention or plans for a run, obviously. She isn't running but I am wondering how much longer this speculation can even be considered an outside shot.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

What was the latest date a major candidate formally announced anything related to running (e.g. exploratory committee, etc) for president?

I know it's almost a year ahead of the 2016 primaries, but even before the historic earlier-and-earlier creep of campaign season, wouldn't Warren be doing something by now? Other than adamantly denying any intention or plans for a run, obviously. She isn't running but I am wondering how much longer this speculation can even be considered an outside shot.

Some people will continue to speculate right up until the point that Hillary clinches the nomination.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Recently, I think it must be Wesley Clark, in mid-September 20043? There was a "draft Clark" organisation before that, but I don't think it was actually linked to him.

Thompson also announced in September in 20087, but he had set up an exploratory committee before hand.

e: v :downs:

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 2, 2015

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
You mean 2003 and 2007, right?

Though Thompson announcing he was seeking the nomination shortly after the national convention officially voted for McCain and Palin seems about right for the level of interest he had in his campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alter Ego posted:

Some people will continue to speculate right up until the point that Hillary clinches the nomination.

I really get the feeling of impending doom when it comes to the national democratic party... Hillary isn't CLOSE to as strong a candidate as she is made out to be.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I really get the feeling of impending doom when it comes to the national democratic party... Hillary isn't CLOSE to as strong a candidate as she is made out to be.

You're not on the political left if you don't get a feeling of impending doom about the national democratic party. Its what wakes me up in the morning.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New Washington Post / ABC poll.

Of course, the poll doesn't include Trump #skewed

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

I'm wonder why doesn't Al Qaeda do suicide boat attacks any more?

Terrorists understand that the greatest way to hurt America is to suffer the Republicans to live.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rincewinds posted:

How did this guy stay in office, when his own seem to consider him a nutcase? Do the GoP accept anyone as long as they vote as far to the right as possible?
well he was from Indiana, which should explain most of it.

He's not wrong. Blowback from businesses and the Dems complaining aside, polling shows the public supports the RFRA

Again, Indiana.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

He's not wrong. Blowback from businesses and the Dems complaining aside, polling shows the public supports the RFRA

Source? I haven't seen any specific polling on the Indiana or Arkansas RFRA bills.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

So a Christian pastor, a Catholic priest, and a Jewish rabbi walk into a courtroom, and

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DaveWoo posted:

Source? I haven't seen any specific polling on the Indiana or Arkansas RFRA bills.

No link, but March Marist poll put support for an RFRA at 54%. Yglesias has been quibbling with Weigel about polling questions and specifics influencing how it is perceived and polls so it isn't pure cut and dry, but right now "a law allowing. first Amendment religious liberty protection of exemptions for faith-based organizations and individuals even when it conflicts with government laws" wins with popular support

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FAUXTON posted:

Can crazy stuff like the guy who announced at the primary convention in West Wing actually happen?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

No link, but March Marist poll put support for an RFRA at 54%. Yglesias has been quibbling with Weigel about polling questions and specifics influencing how it is perceived and polls so it isn't pure cut and dry, but right now "a law allowing. first Amendment religious liberty protection of exemptions for faith-based organizations and individuals even when it conflicts with government laws" wins with popular support

Did they actually call it a "First Amendment religious liberty protection" in the poll question? Because yeah, I can see that affecting the poll results somewhat.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

site posted:

Can crazy stuff like the guy who announced at the primary convention in West Wing actually happen?

Probably in the sense that Air Bud is right and it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that a dog can't play Basketball. So far as I can tell crazy convention showdowns seem to be an artifact of the past, and the conventions are now just blockbuster rallies meant to boost the already-decided candidate on in the final stretch.

I suppose if something really unexpected ever happened, like a presumptive nominee dropping/dying and leaving no time for a do-over, the convention might become a live possibility. Alternatively I guess if there was a really weak field and no candidate managed an especially strong showing. I'm pretty sure the Republicans have taken steps in the last few elections to tighten the rules to limit the possibility of that kind of delegate chaos.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Plus "faith-based organizations and individuals" probably doesn't immediately compute to "bakers and florists" to most people.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
A question for the knowledgeable folks in here: Why is Jeb currently topping the polls if he's the Mitt Romney of the primaries? I thought he was this milquetoast Republican that true believers are hesitant to vote for.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Foo posted:

A question for the knowledgeable folks in here: Why is Jeb currently topping the polls if he's the Mitt Romney of the primaries? I thought he was this milquetoast Republican that true believers are hesitant to vote for.

name recognition and hes not associated with the shitshow taht is congress

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

Yes, if no candidate gets a majority of delegate votes on the first ballot the delegates are no longer bound to vote for any particular candidate and anyone can have their name put forward for the nomination.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Can you be drafted into the presidential election? Could Elizabeth Warren receive, for instance, a large amount of write-in votes at a primary or something like that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Can you be drafted into the presidential election? Could Elizabeth Warren receive, for instance, a large amount of write-in votes at a primary or something like that?

Technically yes but we might as well be discussing how the world would be if Hitler was gay and black.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Can? Sure. People talked about drafting Mario Cuomo in '92, or Al Gore in '04. Usually, as the nomination gets closer to an eventuality, people start coming up with all sorts of possible drafting scenarios where someone brilliant and pure and perfect and uninvolved in the campaign up to this point gets drafted in by mass acclaim in the hopes of preventing the horribly imperfect actual front-runner from winning. It's still being talked with Warren right now (which shows how inevitable Hillary already is, that we're this late in the lifecycle).

Has it ever happened? Never. Not once.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Hell, they set up a political party, Americans elect, in an effort to draft Michael Bloomberg to run.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If no one is chosen at the convention by the time the delegates are freed from obligations to specific candidates, anyone can be the nominee. They don't even have to meet the requirements to be President, because CHAOS REIGNS.

This is exceedingly unlikely to happen and is in a set possibilities that lies adjacent to the probability set of Harry Turtledove alt fiction.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Hell, they set up a political party, Americans elect, in an effort to draft Michael Bloomberg to run.

Well, Americans Elect didn't work because a) it didn't have any kind of actual platform beyond "boy, wouldn't a third party be nice?", and b) nobody really wanted to see Bloomberg run aside from Michael Bloomberg an a few close friends of his.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Someone winning acclaim through write-in votes or by being drafted at the convention is the King Ralph of American politics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'll say this for the Cruz campaign: they're not slacking.

quote:

Cedar Falls, Ia. – Women in the restroom stalls at Ted Cruz's Cedar Falls event could hear a female voice out at the sinks going on and on about "Ted" — what a nice guy Ted is, what Ted believes.

"Go to his website and there are all sorts of position papers," she was telling someone.

Heidi Cruz proved Thursday that she'll hunt for votes for the Iowa caucuses no matter where she goes.

Fact check: his campaign website actually does have a lot of position papers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ted Cruz - He'll spare you a square

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really hope this early momentum for Team Ted pushes him into first place in the polls and gets him to actually believe he can win. His meltdown, even if it's mostly private or internal, will be hilarious because of course people will move onto the next new thing and he will fall way back down in the polls.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I really hope this early momentum for Team Ted pushes him into first place in the polls and gets him to actually believe he can win. His meltdown, even if it's mostly private or internal, will be hilarious because of course people will move onto the next new thing and he will fall way back down in the polls.

of course it will. We're going by the new book of republican primaries now. Some nobody surges forward, and then, in the national spotlight, the all gladly remind the world why they're some nobody. It's called the Cain Maneuver.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

OctoberBlues posted:

I already can't wait for the tell-all book.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

QwertyAsher posted:

It's called the Cain Maneuver.

The Koboyashi Maru-Bachmann test

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I already can't wait for the tell-all book.
Hahaha no kidding

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:ohdear:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

Can? Sure. People talked about drafting Mario Cuomo in '92, or Al Gore in '04. Usually, as the nomination gets closer to an eventuality, people start coming up with all sorts of possible drafting scenarios where someone brilliant and pure and perfect and uninvolved in the campaign up to this point gets drafted in by mass acclaim in the hopes of preventing the horribly imperfect actual front-runner from winning. It's still being talked with Warren right now (which shows how inevitable Hillary already is, that we're this late in the lifecycle).

Has it ever happened? Never. Not once.

President Garfield would like to have a word with you. Well, if he weren't dead.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I, with no sarcasm, cannot wait for these chuckleheads to offer their vision for an America where they are President

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mooyashi posted:

I, with no sarcasm, cannot wait for these chuckleheads to offer their vision for an America where they are President

Our freedom to enjoy Indiana RFRA-style discrimination.

• Locked thread