Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Already out. Wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Well that was fast. Wonder how many of those are already up on ebay?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

TheFluff posted:

:siren: attn zxqv8 and sparkmaster :siren:

If you don't give me your email addresses within the next 24 hours I will pass your keys on to the next people on the list.

Ghost of Mussolini and Raverrn, check your PM's. All out of keys now except for those two I'm holding for those deadbeats above. If I get more (uncertain at this time) it'll be after Easter at the very earliest.

You are doing the Lords work thank you!

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 2, 2015

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

MREBoy posted:

What are the odds the US BB branch unlocks off the Chester ? I hope not, doing it off the St. Louis would be a heck of a lot easier.

you can see all the tech trees here: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/437-what-we-know-about-ships-updated-28032015/

TheFluff posted:

If I get more (uncertain at this time) it'll be after Easter at the very earliest.

I wouldn't mind grabbing one of the after Eastern keys

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Since moving from fighting bots to actual players, my teams have been a complete mess. Like 3-4 people dying within the first 2 minutes, which puts the rest of the game at nearly a 2 - 1 the whole time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Most of these are really bizarre so I'm assuming that they're going to stick with Americans and Japanese for a while after release. After the obligatory Soviet tree of course.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Most of these are really bizarre so I'm assuming that they're going to stick with Americans and Japanese for a while after release. After the obligatory Soviet tree of course.

Even for american and japan, it is bizarre. Either these trees are correct in which case, the even basic tree we have now is going to get sacked with a wipe. Or this is someone's fever dream tech tree.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looks like they've taken dev comments and posts, and combined them with the beta trees to approximate the internal alpha trees, with 5 years worth of premiums that may or may not change greatly. A bit like those early 'complete' trees we got in tanks before they started hiding them away to avoid repeated questions about when

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Goddamn those keys went fast.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ahaha. Apparently me spending a day telling BB drivers hugging the map edge to hand in their balls was enough for a chatban. :allears:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations, you are the first person I know to accomplish this feat.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Magni posted:

Ahaha. Apparently me spending a day telling BB drivers hugging the map edge to hand in their balls was enough for a chatban. :allears:

Achievement unlocked

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011
I'd like a key to the US server!

yaobert at gmail dot com

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I know this is a long shot and there may not be any keys for a while but I'd like to get in on the US server at some point if possible.

Lucipher18 at gmail.com

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Someone was raging in the chat that AA was useless after he blew his cruiser ability on a single squad of dive bombers instead of just taking the damage and focusing on the pair of torp bombers coming in just soon enough that the AA duration ran out. Good job soldier sailor.

What is it with all the battleship players who at the start of the round set an auto pilot route to just in front of the carrier edge spot, reduce their speed to 1/4 to make sure the players who go full speed ahead into the other team will die alone and then smugly miss shots at maximum range until they're sunk?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Poil posted:

What is it with all the battleship players who at the start of the round set an auto pilot route to just in front of the carrier edge spot, reduce their speed to 1/4 to make sure the players who go full speed ahead into the other team will die alone and then smugly miss shots at maximum range until they're sunk?

Pubbies being pubbies.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Poil posted:

I don't know, what's with cruisers that bump into me for approximately 5 seconds and fly into uncontrollable rage? All while no enemy ships are even spotted.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Magni posted:

Give this man a medal.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Not digging the Phoenix. 2 torpedos doesn't make up for losing like 10 guns.

Angus McAWESOME
Mar 18, 2011

Infidelicious posted:

The drat near ten knot speed increase does the trick nicely.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Infidelicious posted:

Upgraded it has like one gun less broadside than the St. Louis.

Or maybe that was the Omaha, those two always blend together for me.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What us cruisers should I keep an eye out for that are a good experience playing?

Montefarle
Apr 12, 2005

Zotix posted:

What us cruisers should I keep an eye out for that are a good experience playing?

Load a St. Louis with HE and enjoy wrecking the modules of everything within 2 tiers.

Load up a Cleveland, find a BB buddy, (AA perk for extra fun), win.

edit:
Oh hey, they changed the "stupid newbie" icon, finally. Who knew that one mistake would follow me for so long. :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Montefarle posted:

edit:
Oh hey, they changed the "stupid newbie" icon, finally. Who knew that one mistake would follow me for so long. :(

It's been months this this was changed. There was a brief period of time where it was some toilet-related picture too

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Zotix posted:

St. Louis and Cleveland were already mentioned, but I hear the Baltimore and Des Moines are very good ships as well.

There's a strange absence of people who have an Ibuki or a Senjo, which makes the high-tier american ships ambiguously the best ones on the block. If you have an Ibuki or Senjo, please speak up and share your opinion on them because personally I'm curious about whether or not I'm making a terrible grinding decision by going down their line.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 3, 2015

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Sorry for the delay, work was in the way.

sparkmaster4513 (at) gmail dot com

Thank you!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Wow saw the last batch of EU codes and thought that was gonna be it. Might as well get in line for a US key if new keys are still trickling out.

Have sa PMS. (US)

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

Oh man I would play the gently caress out of World of SpaceWarships.

Slight derail follows:

Couple of pages late, but the closest approximation of this sort of thing I could think of is the "Starfleet Command," series which was a riff off of the Starfleet Battles board game.

You move in 2d space in big, swoopy arcs,have power management (i.e. do I put energy in shields, guns, or speed?), have firing arcs for weapons, torpedoes and missles, and can encounter obstacles in space like asteroids, black holes, and "space monsters," and so on. Its certainly more fiddly than WoWS in terms of, hell, everything, but its fun and has never been off of any of my hard drives for long as I'm an unrepentant Star Trek nerd.

Multiplayer exists, but I honestly can't vouch for its quality as I've never used it.

Derail over.

On the botes side of things, sayonara Kawachi (finally) and konnichiwa Myogi! Tenno Heika, Banzai!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Got key, downloading now. 10/10 would beg again.

Thank you TheFluff. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If there are any more US keys...

jjong01 at gmail dot com

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

OSad posted:

There's a strange absence of people who have an Ibuki or a Senjo, which makes the high-tier american ships ambiguously the best ones on the block. If you have an Ibuki or Senjo, please speak up and share your opinion on them because personally I'm curious about whether or not I'm making a terrible grinding decision by going down their line.
Alpha forums posters said the Senjo was underpowered immediately before closed beta started and the closed beta patch nerfed it. Most alpha testers are massive otakus though so I would take anything they say with a grain of salt :nyoron:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WG nerfed the poo poo out of the Senjo because it was arguably better than the Des Moines since it gave you lower detectability and a decent gun ROF plus proper long lances. I'm not sure I agree that it was but at least there was room for an argument.

So they reduced the ROF a bunch, neutered the torpedoes, hugely increased the torp spotting range for a double whammy, changed how long you stay lit after firing, moved to a new armor/pen model and generally just hosed up everything that made it worth playing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there detailed instructions out there for the game, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to shoot torpedoes, mostly because when it's time to shoot, I'm pretty excited.

What is the exact sequence?
Something like:
Target enemy
Press X to get torpedo lead indicator,
Use 3 to select spread...
and then what? Is there a separate torpedo button? Do I left click while 3 is held down or something?

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I don't think I understand battleship aiming. I can hit turning destroyers in a Nicholas at ~8km within two rounds but I can't even hit a stationary (grounded) targets at 12km reliably in a Fuso. Something just isn't clicking. Is there really that much spread? Is it just a matter of adjusting for round travel times against moving targets? Is there an accuracy penalty for moving or turning?

Should I just give up and drive close enough that I can't miss?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there detailed instructions out there for the game, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to shoot torpedoes, mostly because when it's time to shoot, I'm pretty excited.

What is the exact sequence?
Something like:
Target enemy
Press X to get torpedo lead indicator,
Use 3 to select spread...
and then what? Is there a separate torpedo button? Do I left click while 3 is held down or something?

when you press 3 to "select spread" it switches your primary fire button over to firing torpedoes.

In short: press 3, left click, press 1 or 2 afterwards to re-select guns.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

YellerBill posted:

when you press 3 to "select spread" it switches your primary fire button over to firing torpedoes.

In short: press 3, left click, press 1 or 2 afterwards to re-select guns.

Ok, just tested it out. I've got it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ToiletDuckie posted:

I don't think I understand battleship aiming. I can hit turning destroyers in a Nicholas at ~8km within two rounds but I can't even hit a stationary (grounded) targets at 12km reliably in a Fuso. Something just isn't clicking. Is there really that much spread? Is it just a matter of adjusting for round travel times against moving targets? Is there an accuracy penalty for moving or turning?

Yes, sorta, yes for turning, no for moving, maybe.

The Fuso's dispersion at max range is terrible. That's why you can beat them with a Kongo or Nagato despite both having fewer guns. Your broadside at close range is unmatched though, and if all your shells hit, a one-shot against an enemy battleship ain't nothin'.

When you shoot while turning, half of your guns have a different angle and a different shell-time-to-target than the other half. Shoot, then turn. Shooting while at top speed is just as accurate as shooting while still though.

Still, even if you have a shot lined up perfectly, RNG can cause your shots to miss. If you fire a volley, and some of your shots go long and some go short, that was RNG saying "Better luck next time". If all go short or all go long, you need to adjust your range. If they fall behind the ship, you haven't led them enough, and if they all fall in front, you've led too far. Firing a tester shot is worthwhile to get the range--just a single shot from one gun. If it looks vaguely on-target, you can let loose with a volley.

I've definitely missed ships sitting stock-still because the RNG spat on me, so don't feel too bad. There's also a client-sync issue right now where ships will appear to be where they were a second or two ago. Annoyingly, it's easy to mistake this for a near-miss. Hit Z after firing a volley and check if your shells are phasing through the hull--this is a sign of a ghost ship.

You're probably better off at close range than at long range vs. an Amagi or Nagato, because they have better accuracy, penetration and damage with their 16-inchers. They can really wear you down at long ranges. On the other hand, getting closer to them gives them a better chance to pen your juicy citadel. It's always a gamble.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ToiletDuckie posted:

At long range, shots will plunge nearly straight downwards at the end of their path. That means you need to be have good aim, but you have a high chance of missing if you're shooting at something small, or mis-aimed to begin with.

After a certain distance, your shots will start to travel more parallel to the ocean. It doesn't matter as much if you aim too far behind a ship, your shell still needs to travel through space occupied by your target.

Basically, it's easier to hit closer ships. The Fuso isn't terribly accurate either.

Edit: This is true for all ships. The angle that your shells land will change based on where your target is within the maximum range on your guns. You can use this knowledge to set fire to battleships more easily, by shooting HE at max range and hitting their decks.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

OSad posted:

St. Louis and Cleveland were already mentioned, but I hear the Baltimore and Des Moines are very good ships as well.

I think the Ibuki has a giant shell catching goatse of a citadel, but the Senjo is well laid out. The other stats are visible, I'm not sure how they are since when I last had access to someone with a Senjo it had greater weight of fire than the Des Moines.

Prav posted:

WG nerfed the poo poo out of the Senjo because it was arguably better than the Des Moines since it gave you lower detectability and a decent gun ROF plus proper long lances. I'm not sure I agree that it was but at least there was room for an argument.

So they reduced the ROF a bunch, neutered the torpedoes, hugely increased the torp spotting range for a double whammy, changed how long you stay lit after firing, moved to a new armor/pen model and generally just hosed up everything that made it worth playing.

You mean had a good layout and put about 25% more shells downrange than the Des Moines. It might not win reliably against a Des Moines but it'd win reliably against anything else and likely do a better job of it, since it was literally more capable in every way except long range AA and HP pool. The Long lances got lost in a tree-wide nerfing. I'm not sure it needed all that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

At long range, shots will plunge nearly straight downwards at the end of their path. That means you need to be have good aim, but you have a high chance of missing if you're shooting at something small, or mis-aimed to begin with.

After a certain distance, your shots will start to travel more parallel to the ocean. It doesn't matter as much if you aim too far behind a ship, your shell still needs to travel through space occupied by your target.

Basically, it's easier to hit closer ships. The Fuso isn't terribly accurate either.

Edit: This is true for all ships. The angle that your shells land will change based on where your target is within the maximum range on your guns. You can use this knowledge to set fire to battleships more easily, by shooting HE at max range and hitting their decks.

It's annoyingly opaque. Like, you might want to shoot AP at long range, because ships have less deck armor than they do belt armor. Your long-range shots will plunge through the deck armor for massive damage. But at higher tiers, because you're shooting at such long range and against ships with increasing amounts of deck armor, the rounds might lose so much velocity over their flight that they can't pen 6 inches of deck armor. So you want to shoot HE instead.

How do you know which case is which? Trial and error.