Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I bought a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with full towing/suspension package for $2000 (in cash) last year. Good with money y/n?

My neighbor got a (IIRC) 2001 Tahoe in good shape around a year ago for 1000.

Bet both these trucks are worth double their respective prices now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Call me a complainypants but vehicles in good shape for $1k or so are quite rare and were likely sold below market value.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Radbot posted:

Call me a complainypants but vehicles in good shape for $1k or so are quite rare and were likely sold below market value.

Yeah, they seem to have gotten killer deals.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, they seem to have gotten killer deals.

Yeah, mine wasn't advertised at all. It was a fleet vehicle for a refrigeration company and they had just upgraded their trucks. My brother knew the owner and just *HAPPENED* to bring it up in conversation the day before I talked to him about wanting a truck. I just HAPPENED to have gotten a loan payout a few days prior (Bad with money). It was all luck and timing. KBB for mine in good shape is 5k last check.

Don't worry, I'm still bad with money. It's the only thing that I have that isn't severely under water.

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Edit: Nevermind, I've been April fools'd

quote:

The best way for children to learn is to learn by doing.

That's why we're proud to now finally offer a credit card for children that provides the lowest interest rates on the market. We call it... The Kiddie Card!

The Kiddie Card is easy-to-use, lucrative, and teaches your child to learn early by helping them to spend early.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/04/01/a-special-announcement-from-david-and-tom-gardner.aspx

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Shats Basoon posted:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/04/01/a-special-announcement-from-david-and-tom-gardner.aspx

My friend actually worked on this type of product for real before they rebranded to "Oink" and apparently filled their website with bad photo filter millenials. It was called "Virtual Piggy."

https://www.oink.com/

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Shats Basoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG21eupz6Kk

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

Love how Wyoming has the highest rate of spending by a wide margin. What's the deal?

Oil mainly. Lots of rig workers who are getting paid a lot of money and a state where depending on where you live can get a shitload of snow. So, giant trucks for everyone!

It sounded like you could easily tell who a new worker was when they came into town on their rotation of time off. They'd drive some beat to poo poo car to the nearest auto dealer, and drive out with a midrange truck. After a year they'd trade that in for the bigger version.
Right now there is probably a ton of people there with huge rear end vehicle payments and no work.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

CitizenKain posted:

Oil mainly. Lots of rig workers who are getting paid a lot of money and a state where depending on where you live can get a shitload of snow. So, giant trucks for everyone!

It sounded like you could easily tell who a new worker was when they came into town on their rotation of time off. They'd drive some beat to poo poo car to the nearest auto dealer, and drive out with a midrange truck. After a year they'd trade that in for the bigger version.
Right now there is probably a ton of people there with huge rear end vehicle payments and no work.

Houston oil industry.txt right now. poo poo's getting weak. Friends getting laid off, I'm on 40 hour weeks. Oh well. More time to exercise and read.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Tying your career to the price of a single commodity is Bad with Money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So I started a new job this year which meant less take-home pay but greatly reduced stress. My wife was on board with the new budget which was basically the same budget, but less money going to our "new house fund" which is fine since we're not planning on moving for a couple more years and it's almost to our goal amount.

She went over on her Fun Money™ personal expenditures a little in February, and March started out with us doing some nice things that I agreed to pay for (out of my Fun Money) if she would keep herself under budget for March. Not only did she not stay within the budget, she spent over TWICE the amount. I am absolutely livid about this situation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sounds like she's not REALLY on board with the new budget.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nail Rat posted:

Sounds like she's not REALLY on board with the new budget.

I wish I could understand her thinking. She loves Goodwill, but spent $300 on Cabi because her old boss hawks it.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Nocheez posted:

So I started a new job this year which meant less take-home pay but greatly reduced stress. My wife was on board with the new budget which was basically the same budget, but less money going to our "new house fund" which is fine since we're not planning on moving for a couple more years and it's almost to our goal amount.

She went over on her Fun Money™ personal expenditures a little in February, and March started out with us doing some nice things that I agreed to pay for (out of my Fun Money) if she would keep herself under budget for March. Not only did she not stay within the budget, she spent over TWICE the amount. I am absolutely livid about this situation.

My husband keeps an actually separate checking account with his fun money.

Now I'm not suggesting that you tell your wife you need her to do this or else. I think this solution works because (a) he does actually really want to stay under the budget we agreed on and (b) it was his idea to keep a separate account in the first place, partly for keeping himself accountable, and partly so he doesn't have to keep receipts for fun stuff, or write down when he spends cash at bars, etc.

edit: didn't realize this was the bad with money thread. my husband spent a lot of money on fancy craft beer last night when there was a pretty good beer on special for $3. bad with (his own) money.

T. J. Eckleburg fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 2, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

My husband keeps an actually separate checking account with his fun money.

Now I'm not suggesting that you tell your wife you need her to do this or else. I think this solution works because (a) he does actually really want to stay under the budget we agreed on and (b) it was his idea to keep a separate account in the first place, partly for keeping himself accountable, and partly so he doesn't have to keep receipts for fun stuff, or write down when he spends cash at bars, etc.

edit: didn't realize this was the bad with money thread. my husband spent a lot of money on fancy craft beer last night when there was a pretty good beer on special for $3. bad with (his own) money.

That's a good suggestion, actually. She's gone over here and there before but it wasn't a big deal because we were making more money and still hitting all our savings goals. This time really pissed me off because she reneged on her deal.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nocheez posted:

That's a good suggestion, actually. She's gone over here and there before but it wasn't a big deal because we were making more money and still hitting all our savings goals. This time really pissed me off because she reneged on her deal.

I mean...has she apologized? Declared she'll make it right? What's *her* response?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Radbot posted:

Tying your career to the price of a single commodity is Bad with Money.
Probably not so bad if you save aggressively during the boom times. Of course probably few people do that.

Nocheez posted:

So now her Fun Money budget for April is negative. Why not just roll it over?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
He should probably cut ties now and divorce her before it's too late!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I don't know what the resolution is yet. I'm bleeding off pressure before we have a sit-down.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Have you tried monthly cash payouts for fun money? We pay ourselves cash every Friday and if we blow it all by Saturday we only have to suck it up for another 5 days.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Mandingo posted:

He should probably cut ties now and divorce her before it's too late!

Getting divorced can be pretty bad with money. Over the last few months, I've watched a friend and his wife annihilate ten years of savings untangling a 6-year marriage. 401ks are getting liquidated and everything. In attorney fees alone, $75,000 is in the rearview mirror and $85,000 looks likely before they're done.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

I don't know what the resolution is yet. I'm bleeding off pressure before we have a sit-down.

What is the actual dollar amount here?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Yond Cassius posted:

Getting divorced can be pretty bad with money. Over the last few months, I've watched a friend and his wife annihilate ten years of savings untangling a 6-year marriage. 401ks are getting liquidated and everything. In attorney fees alone, $75,000 is in the rearview mirror and $85,000 looks likely before they're done.

I can't understand being this angry or bitter unless there was abuse or cheating involved.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Yond Cassius posted:

Why the gently caress would you spend this much on attorney fees? Is someone really getting a deal that's that much better for them that it's worth it?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sometimes the point is just to gently caress the other person's life up. Mutually assured destruction on a 2-person scale.

Spite is a hell of a drug

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not a Children posted:

Sometimes the point is just to gently caress the other person's life up. Mutually assured destruction on a 2-person scale.

Spite is really, really bad with money.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yond Cassius posted:

There's a huge difference between amicable and acrimonious divorces. Reasonably sophisticated and sane people can get divorced almost for free.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
Story about my husband's friend:

He blows a ton of money on CDs. The problem here isn't the CDs themselves, it's the insanely impulsive spending involving them. He will decide on a whim that he needs a band's entire back catalog, meaning he will be spending at least $100 at a clip, possibly more depending on how many albums the band has and the availability of the CDs. (At least he generally buys used CDs, the only good with money part I guess.) There have been some cases where he hears a few songs from a band that's new to him, buys all their albums, then decides he doesn't really like the band after all and sells the CDs to a trade-in store for a fraction of what he paid. Things have now escalated as he is having the CDs sent to our house and picking them up because he doesn't want his wife to see them coming in the mail.

He does the same thing with DVDs too, to a lesser extent. Recently he bought a set of 5 movies, watched them once, then sold them to my husband for $10; he probably paid at least $10 for each one. My husband asked him why he doesn't have Netflix and he had some lame excuse. And of course he is always complaining about how much is on his credit cards.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
What is this? The early 90s? Paying for music??? :confused:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jesus just get a Spotify account. I haven't warzed music in like 3 years.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Choose Deth posted:

He does the same thing with DVDs too, to a lesser extent. Recently he bought a set of 5 movies, watched them once, then sold them to my husband for $10; he probably paid at least $10 for each one. My husband asked him why he doesn't have Netflix and he had some lame excuse. And of course he is always complaining about how much is on his credit cards.

I know of an Australian who's family is lower middle class, but the dad obsessively collects DVDs. Thousands and thousand purchased and meticulously cataloged, but half the poo poo is "Best of Gomer Pyle: Vol 3" or similar. He's convinced it is some sort of nest egg, unwilling to accept that DVD is a standard that will be completely lost to history in another 10 years.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You can track my late father-in-law's tastes in movies according to decade. While cleaning out his posessions there were stacks and stacks of VHS tapes he had imported from Hong Kong (Kung Fu movies) and blank tapes he used to record even more Kung Fu movies and about a hundred never used blank tapes he never got around to using. Then there are hundreds of DVDs with a mixture of Kung Fu movies, sci-fi TV series, MST 3000 movies, and other random 90s and early 00s movies. Finally there are hundreds of Blu-ray movies and TV series, but no Kung-Fu.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
I think he likes having the physical items, which there's nothing wrong with, it's the amount of money and the impulsivity of it. What blows my mind the most are the cases of getting the entire catalog of a band that he hasn't really decided if he likes yet. Just get one album and go from there, the others will still be there if you actually like the band.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Choose Deth posted:

I think he likes having the physical items, which there's nothing wrong with, it's the amount of money and the impulsivity of it. What blows my mind the most are the cases of getting the entire catalog of a band that he hasn't really decided if he likes yet. Just get one album and go from there, the others will still be there if you actually like the band.

Introduce him to Youtube. You can listen to a lot of songs for free, and THEN decide if you want to buy the album.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Nocheez posted:

Introduce him to Youtube. You can listen to a lot of songs for free, and THEN decide if you want to buy the album.

Real answer-- that doesn't release dopamine into his completely fried brain, so it won't work.

IIRC, there was some preliminary work done that suggests some people may get the dopamine hit just from putting items into the digital cart and then leaving it. Maybe that'll help? It certainly won't result in any extra spending since he just buys everything anyway. He probably would want to clear it out eventually because websites hate letting you get away without buying poo poo.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 2, 2015

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Nail Rat posted:

Why the gently caress would you spend this much on attorney fees? Is someone really getting a deal that's that much better for them that it's worth it?

Not in practical terms, but there are a lot of perception issues getting in the way on both sides, so both sides have felt like they were being screwed at one point or another. In hindsight it would have been cheaper for both if either person were willing to make early concessions, but $15,000-20,000 only looks small when you sit it next to $75,000.

Not a Children posted:

It seems to be about 50-50 between this and "child custody". Her original demand included 95% custody and a change of primary residence outside the state (he would get their daughter for two to three weeks in summer), and he wasn't prepared to be that far removed from his kid's life.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Real answer-- that doesn't release dopamine into his completely fried brain, so it won't work.

IIRC, there was some preliminary work done that suggests some people may get the dopamine hit just from putting items into the digital cart and then leaving it. Maybe that'll help? It certainly won't result in any extra spending since he just buys everything anyway. He probably would want to clear it out eventually because websites hate letting you get away without buying poo poo.

Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure that my dad is a compulsive CD buyer. He never sells them, at this point I think he has several thousand. He usually buys 4 or 5 a month. I know that doesn't really add up to "several thousand" unless you do it for 50 years, but he's been at it for a while, and maybe it used to be worse?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Blinkman987 posted:

IIRC, there was some preliminary work done that suggests some people may get the dopamine hit just from putting items into the digital cart and then leaving it.

I instituted a personal "can't buy anything from Amazon that hasn't been in the cart for at least two days" rule and now I buy almost nothing from there. It used to be my biggest splurge problem.

I can understand wanting to torch your entire savings rather than letting your evil ex get a piece of it. Especially if your evil ex has an evil lawyer. Bad with money and life though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It Came From Reddit(tm)

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3184ge/girlfriends_mother_is_about_to_lose_her_home_yet/ posted:

Background on gf's mother: my girlfriend's mother quit her job last August and hasn't found steady employment since then. Currently she is unemployed. We'll call her Judy. Judy owns a home, is around 55, has 10 dogs she fosters as part of a program to find permanent homes. The house is packed with dogs and people. When permanent homes are found for the dogs, Judy gets more dogs. She has an alcoholic boyfriend who lives there along with her nephew, who just started attending college. The nephew's mother, Judy's sister, also has a problem keeping a job. No one works in that household right now.

My girlfriend has odd jobs / is a student, and sends money to her mom. I keep track of money she has borrowed from me to help her mom, currently it's $200. But now I am told her mom needs $2000 to keep her home as part of some "Save Your Home California" program. The thing is, her mom is not reliable, so this figure could change based on past experience. I've always assumed these programs are scams so banks can say they're trying to help homeowners while doing nothing to solve the problem.

My background: I really don't want to give her mom any money. After losing everything financially a few years ago, I separated ties with the person who was a financial black hole, and I can hopefully retire early now. On one hand, I feel bad for her mother, on the other hand, I don't want history to repeat and have someone take from me everything I've worked hard at and never give back.

I have loaned my brother money at 0% interest, but he has no problems finding a job and he pays me back, same thing with my parents who made smart decisions, are retired comfortably, and own assets. From a financial perspective, Judy's decisions, from how she has raised her daughter(not getting a driver's license), to hording things (dogs and things), to spending her retirement on treatment for a dying dog, not having a stable job, flying off the handle from time to time, etc., makes me reluctant to give her any more money.

Note that Judy feels bad about this and how it could affect me.

What are my options?

(A) Loan her $2k, adding to the tab, Judy uses this program to somehow "save her home"? Not sure how this works, but I fear if I delve further into this and ask questions, I will be sucked into it and if I don't give her $2k, then when plan (B) happens, I'm the bad guy.
(B) let her deal with it, she forecloses, lives on food stamps like she has done in the past when she raised her daughter, the people she supports will have to fend for themselves.
tldr; girlfriend's mother is hitting rock bottom financially, what, if anything, should I do.
tl;dr: gf's mother quit their job for unexplained reasons, still doesn't have a job, fosters 10 dogs, and lives with several other people who also don't have jobs. Redditor's girlfriend keeps enabling helping mom with money. Now redditor is being asked to "loan" $2k to the mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I know a dude who got divorced, spent $300k on lawyers, and they ended up with something very close to the original settlement terms. He had a good amount of assets in cash and property, so some of the cost was valuation and determining assets, but still, 300k :wtc:

• Locked thread