Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I thought Domon's cameo in BF was better than his cameo in BFT TBH.

Yeah, I was thinking that was one hell of a growth spurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great ending, I love closure. Great series, it was an amazing trip.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's like they locked all the fun of the first series in a closet until this episode.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sindai posted:

It's like they locked all the fun of the first series in a closet until this episode.

That's not fair. It managed to break out for a stretch mid-season, not to mention Try-On 3.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I would have been A-OK with 24 more episodes of that instead of what we got. Good way to go out, though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm surprised no ones mentioned the fact that the entire ceremony hall was fitted with plavsky particle dispersal units. I want to see a world tournament done on one that size. Really fun episode and the season as a whole wasn't bad. I think it suffered from trying to be too many genres at once and cause of that everything is spread thin.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm surprised no ones mentioned the fact that the entire ceremony hall was fitted with plavsky particle dispersal units. I want to see a world tournament done on one that size. Really fun episode and the season as a whole wasn't bad. I think it suffered from trying to be too many genres at once and cause of that everything is spread thin.

I am kind of wondering what sort of crazy super computer they are keeping in that venue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On second thought; How the gently caress did Kei lug that colossal Mobile Armor all the way into the main hall and onto an elevated platform?

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On second thought; How the gently caress did Kei lug that colossal Mobile Armor all the way into the main hall and onto an elevated platform?

With the help of Kyoji!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is up there with 'where are all the GP base's supposed to slot into on this monstrosity'.

Frankly this episode sort of encapsulates why I like Build Fighters, even build fighters tri, over G-Reco. Build Fighters knows it's genre, it knows at the end of the day that it is a silly show about toys, while G-Reco tries to be a war drama about the terrors of rearmament while also having the supposed protagonists look on in relative bemusement at cold blooded assassination.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
yeah but only really at the end of the day

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I can make one really fast I guess. Dunno if all the names are right.

Thanks! That at least helps situate a bunch of them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm so happy we're getting a Leopard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

This is up there with 'where are all the GP base's supposed to slot into on this monstrosity'.

Frankly this episode sort of encapsulates why I like Build Fighters, even build fighters tri, over G-Reco. Build Fighters knows it's genre, it knows at the end of the day that it is a silly show about toys, while G-Reco tries to be a war drama about the terrors of rearmament while also having the supposed protagonists look on in relative bemusement at cold blooded assassination.

Build Fighters Try has a protagonist who can't fight in his toy battles without suffering absurd almost crippling pain. One of his rivals plans to incapacitate him by breaking his toy and we see him suffer real physical injury from meaningless unimportant battles. Despite collapsing multiple times and ending up in the hospital nobody ever considers telling him to stop, including the adults who are supposed to be monitoring him. We're supposed to find it exciting and fun when he's injured so badly he can't open his eye.

I totally agree on BF but Assimilation totally fucks up Try's "it's just fun robot toys" stuff unfortunately.

Edit: That said it's better at it than Danball "fighting terrorists and proxy wars with my tiny robots" Senkai.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 2, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Build Fighters Try has a protagonist who can't fight in his toy battles without suffering absurd almost crippling pain. One of his rivals plans to incapacitate him by breaking his toy and we see him suffer real physical injury from meaningless unimportant battles. Despite collapsing multiple times and ending up in the hospital nobody ever considers telling him to stop, including the adults who are supposed to be monitoring him. We're supposed to find it exciting and fun when he's injured so badly he can't open his eye.

I totally agree on BF but Assimilation totally fucks up Try's "it's just fun robot toys" stuff unfortunately.

Edit: That said it's better at it than Danball "fighting terrorists and proxy wars with my tiny robots" Senkai.

I agree Assimilation was a really dumb plot point. It really added nothing but questions.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Levantine posted:

I agree Assimilation was a really dumb plot point. It really added nothing but questions.

Speaking of which, I would still like an explanation on why Gunpla in Build Fighters Try have a limited amount of Plavsky particles. They didn't in Build Fighters, what changed?

And what happens when it runs out? The Lightning Gundam ran out of Plavsky particles in the second to last episode, and it could still fly, so like, what the gently caress does running out of Plavsky particles even mean? The Lightning didn't shoot it's guns after it ran out of particles, does that mean it couldn't? If so, why not? It could use it's giant super-fast thrusters, so why couldn't it also shoot beams? It doesn't make any sense at all, it's just a dumb thing to try to add drama to fights. But it doesn't work because there's no established meaning or risk to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

Speaking of which, I would still like an explanation on why Gunpla in Build Fighters Try have a limited amount of Plavsky particles. They didn't in Build Fighters, what changed?

And what happens when it runs out? The Lightning Gundam ran out of Plavsky particles in the second to last episode, and it could still fly, so like, what the gently caress does running out of Plavsky particles even mean? The Lightning didn't shoot it's guns after it ran out of particles, does that mean it couldn't? If so, why not? It could use it's giant super-fast thrusters, so why couldn't it also shoot beams? It doesn't make any sense at all, it's just a dumb thing to try to add drama to fights. But it doesn't work because there's no established meaning or risk to it.

They all cribbed the Absorb System from the Star Build Strike for more powerful weapons and turbo speed beyond typical kit spec.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

They did have a limited amount. It just came up far less often because fewer people were using giant beamspam. The only person who was was Mao and he specifically had poo poo set up to give him extra particles in-world.

Sei had multiple moments where he went "we're almost out of particles" and part of the idea behind the Absorb Shield system was that it could absorb enough to fuel their high-output RG system.

boom boom boom posted:

When people talk about running out of particles they seem to mean two things:

"I'm low on particles which means I can't use weapons but my unit is still active" and "I'm bone-dry and my unit has collapsed to the ground, inactive."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They did have a limited amount. It just came up far less often because fewer people were using giant beamspam. The only person who was was Mao and he specifically had poo poo set up to give him extra particles in-world.

Sei had multiple moments where he went "we're almost out of particles" and part of the idea behind the Absorb Shield system was that it could absorb enough to fuel their high-output RG system.

The first season was all about manipulating particles, not storing them. The Sengoku abused plavsky particles to create chi-like martial arts effects, and all the X-Maoh really did was use particles to pull out it's own Moon for the Satellite Laser. The SBS was special because it was the first to actively store and repurpose them with the Absorb System.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
http://cartonianimatigiapponesi.tumblr.com/post/115285896020/after-super-fumina-in-build-fighters-saw-this-in
No comment is really needed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No lie, if Ral had showed up in the Super Ral R35 I would have forgiven literally everything else BFT did wrong.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first season was all about manipulating particles, not storing them. The Sengoku abused plavsky particles to create chi-like martial arts effects, and all the X-Maoh really did was use particles to pull out it's own Moon for the Satellite Laser. The SBS was special because it was the first to actively store and repurpose them with the Absorb System.

Yeah, pretty much this. The units in the first series were finesse, not brute force. This is also probably why Star Winning can do all kinds of absurd poo poo but only runs dry when she starts Winning Beaming everything because Winning Beam is just a giant output of particles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

My loving EYES :cripes:

WHY?! :negative:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

My loving EYES :cripes:

WHY?! :negative:

If you don't love it there's just no hope for you.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They all cribbed the Absorb System from the Star Build Strike for more powerful weapons and turbo speed beyond typical kit spec.

It's kind of hard to tell, considering that the majority of the Gunpla in this show are virtually scratch-builds. I haven't actually read the Crossbone manga, what did the Full Cloth do in BFT that was obviously superior to what it could do in real life?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It didn't do anything particularly special, which was why the whole plavsky particles as a fuel source thing confused so many people.

S1 originally only linked plavsky particles to stuff like the Discharges, where the SBS clearly had a stockpile of particles it was building up to do crazy poo poo. Try just randomly made it an actual fuel supply around the battle with the triplets, though at that point it was a vampire thing so it kind of made sense. Then we get the X1 FC where it's the main setting of the fight, and it just kind of got weird from there.

I guess you could explain it as Nil's method of recreating plavsky particles isn't as efficient as the original Arista, so there's a more limited supply? Meh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It didn't do anything particularly special, which was why the whole plavsky particles as a fuel source thing confused so many people.

S1 originally only linked plavsky particles to stuff like the Discharges, where the SBS clearly had a stockpile of particles it was building up to do crazy poo poo. Try just randomly made it an actual fuel supply around the battle with the triplets, though at that point it was a vampire thing so it kind of made sense. Then we get the X1 FC where it's the main setting of the fight, and it just kind of got weird from there.

I guess you could explain it as Nil's method of recreating plavsky particles isn't as efficient as the original Arista, so there's a more limited supply? Meh.

No, the SD Triplets were pretty concise with theirs. They blatantly stated they were using the Absorb System, and used the absorbed particles to transform into/power the Dragon Form rather than just IT RUNS ON PARTICLES BECAUSE :shrug:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was talking about how the Lightning gets crippled.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Fuel/Energy being a plotpoint isn't new in gundam, but the way they made a point out of it in Try is just weird/sloppy.

I also stand by my opinion that having the Kamiki Try Burning right away would have made the fights less pigeonholed into "punch-man uses punch", just by the virtue of having a sword.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

boom boom boom posted:

It's kind of hard to tell, considering that the majority of the Gunpla in this show are virtually scratch-builds. I haven't actually read the Crossbone manga, what did the Full Cloth do in BFT that was obviously superior to what it could do in real life?

If anything the Crossbone was marginally nerfed. They're supposed to be far more energy-efficient in-series (due to being designed to operate in Jupiter's gravity well; those X-shaped thrusters aren't just for show!) so using a Crossbone to demonstrate power guzzling is kinda odd from a meta standpoint.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think we were supposed to infer that Lucas' Crossbone was super jacked up, but then the Transient blows a hole in an island without even pausing so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucas's Crossbone appeared to have sheer output, like Yuuma's Lightning, instead of pure power like Transient. Transient has Burst Mode to make up for that but that blows particles just as fast.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Lucas's Crossbone appeared to have sheer output, like Yuuma's Lightning, instead of pure power like Transient. Transient has Burst Mode to make up for that but that blows particles just as fast.

Isn't the Gunpla's basic performance determined by build quality tho?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

It is but that contributes to a lot of things, including how effectively it can use particles. Too many particles can make a robot explode from the inside or their joints can't take it if the robot is in bad shape. (This is true even in Season 1.) Better built robots can have higher outputs without exploding but also run out of energy faster because of that.

BFT's problem is that literally everyone goes for all-out high-energy builds.Even Tryon 3 was 3 units and it ran out of energy pretty quick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

Gunpla basic performance is determined by

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Did they ever explain how it makes the fingers move

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They've never really explained the nitty gritty details of gunpla battle, and I don't think they ever will. poo poo will just kind of pop up and you have to go with it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If gunola battle was real nobody would want to play on the space maps because those are always the worst ones in real gundam games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love having no cover and also now the movement ruleset is entirely different.

Yeehaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

They've never really explained the nitty gritty details of gunpla battle, and I don't think they ever will. poo poo will just kind of pop up and you have to go with it.

I don't think we even really saw how funnels were controlled until Saga's fangs although I might be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sharkopath posted:

I love having no cover and also now the movement ruleset is entirely different.

Yeehaw.
It's like a water level, but somehow even worse.

• Locked thread