Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

unpacked robinhood posted:

I started watching the second one and it's way better and more retarded so v0v

The second one is basically The Raid Dredd meets Saw and it's loving ridiculous but pretty great in the same way the dumbass Resident Evil movies are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

I can go lay back down, we've already found the most terrifying thing of the week.

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 2, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A.o.D. posted:

w..who..who thinks this is good, or even okay?
It's Tecmo, they've always been like this.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The unapologetic pervert market is very important in the Japanese game industry.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Accordion Man posted:

It's Tecmo, they've always been like this.
Eh, I wouldn't say they've always been this way with the Fatal Frame series though. I mean initial their fanservice poo poo was super Japanese poo poo like glasses or cat ears; I don't think it was until the re-release of Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii or Fatal Frame 4 that it got super skeezy.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Bring back Tecmo's Deception, please.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Parachute posted:

Deception's been ongoing. The last game came out last year and an expansion dropped in Japan a couple days ago.

But bring back the creepy Satanic haunted house Deception, I'm tired of this anime princess Deception. I want to go back to murdering the parents searching for the cure to their child's fatal disease and then bind their soul to golems so they can eternally guard my crumbling demon mansion.

e: As you said, bring back Tecmo's Deception.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Deception's been ongoing. The last game came out last year and an expansion dropped in Japan a couple days ago.

But bring back the creepy Satanic haunted house Deception, I'm tired of this anime princess Deception. I want to go back to murdering the parents searching for the cure to their child's fatal disease and then bind their soul to golems so they can eternally guard my crumbling demon mansion.

You mean you don't like how the series is now about sexual assault armor breaking??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cRqXhVFIv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vxvci3818I

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

You mean you don't like how the series is now about sexual assault armor breaking??

lmfao What the gently caress is this poo poo

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Yodzilla posted:

ahahaha, oh Tecmo, you really do know what your fans want.

Also god yes bring back Tecmo's Deception.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well, I thought Tecmo kept its perversion squarely in the Dead or Alive series but I see it's bleeding out.

Let me just scratch off Monster Rancher from my list of games that need a revival. I don't want to see what they turn it into.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Well, I thought Tecmo kept its perversion squarely in the Dead or Alive series but I see it's bleeding out.

Let me just scratch off Monster Rancher from my list of games that need a revival. I don't want to see what they turn it into.

A free to play mobile game :negative:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm eagerly awaiting the Tecmo Super Bowl DLC so I can have Bo Jackson wear those Fatal Frame costumes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Are there any other good horror games akin to Dead Space 1? Sort of a mixture between horror and action?

Resident Evil never really managed to draw me in, and Silent Hill was never action I thought.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Are there any other good horror games akin to Dead Space 1? Sort of a mixture between horror and action?

Resident Evil never really managed to draw me in, and Silent Hill was never action I thought.

RE4

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

He said a horror game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

He said a horror game.
If you didn't panic when you heard a chainsaw revving, a blind guy scream, or a regenerator breathing you're a liar.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

If you didn't panic when you heard a chainsaw revving, a blind guy scream, or a regenerator breathing you're a liar.

You just described 10 minutes of an 8 hour game.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

When you're in the village in hard mode with an empty shotgun and a flash grenade and you hear chainsaw man

It's tense.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

khy posted:

The Evil Within hit all my needs. It starts off like RE4, to the point where it feels like a retread at times, then goes off on its own course into the Batshit Nebula. Definitely the most fun I've had with an action/horror game in a while.

Oh, and one of your primary weapons is a crossbow that can shoot flaming harpoons.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Is this a snuff thing?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Parachute posted:

The Deception games still own. Getting the stupidest combos with rolling boulders and electric walls and stuff was hilarious. You could make a Rube Goldberg of death where the walls and floor bounce people around into the path of a flaming lava rock tumbling down the stairs.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

khy posted:

Aliens vs Predator Classic ($10 on Steam) is loving terrifying if you're playing as a Marine. Yeah you shoot stuff, but the Aliens are lightning fast, do insane damage, bleed acid, and facehuggers are a one hit kill.

Oh and the Alien AI is randomized so different numbers of them spawn in different locations each time you play, making it even more unpredictable.

When the game originally came out in 1999, it came with a voucher for a free pair of underwear.
I am not joking.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

khy posted:

I don't know how well its aged but the first thing I thought of is Cold Fear which I remember really liking at the time but oh my god that was 10 years ago already? fuuuuck.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 3, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cold Fear is a cool game, and it's pretty much proto-Dead Space. A lot of the mechanics and enemies are very similar, and the plot progression is largely identical.

I do wish they'd gone with their original idea of setting the game during the Cold War, though.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

khy posted:

It's pretty old now but try The Suffering for PS2. The gameplay is pure third-person action (think Max Payne) but it has a dead serious pure horror setting and tone. I loved it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Industrial posted:

It's pretty old now but try The Suffering for PS2. The gameplay is pure third-person action (think Max Payne) but it has a dead serious pure horror setting and tone. I loved it.

Just skip the second one. It was nowhere near as good with the worst part of it being the added "realism" of a limited arsenal. I'm fighting demons in the ghetto that are based around different ways people died in the ghetto. I should not be saddled with a limited arsenal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

Just skip the second one. It was nowhere near as good with the worst part of it being the added "realism" of a limited arsenal. I'm fighting demons in the ghetto that are based around different ways people died in the ghetto. I should not be saddled with a limited arsenal.
Yeah 2 is hot garbage. 1 is underrated though and quite good, definitely play it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 3, 2015

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Industrial posted:

Thirding this, The Suffering was a good game with great voice acting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Butt Ghost posted:

Is this a snuff thing?

These games are pretty fun. Basically you can't do anything on your own, so you're given a timer until the hero of the land invades your castle during which you set up different traps. As you pull off cool things you unlock more traps of different kinds to do combos and try to eliminate intruders as fast as possible. The total overkill of each trap combined with the lack of any gore make them pretty funny honestly.

I remember how hyped I was for Suffering 2, Stan Winston designed most of that game's bosses too, huge waste of talent since the team made a great little game with Suffering 1.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2015

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

al-azad posted:

Monster Rancher's been ruined since the third main series game, anyway. The GBA entries were really good, though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Suffering 2 was the one with the monster pimp that attacked you with a flail made from prostitutes right?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

khy posted:

I think the American Silent Hills are pretty much action, especially Homecoming. As for others:

Nightmare Creatures, BloodRayne, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Dante's Inferno, System Shock, Dino Crisis, Condemned (2 moreso), Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Metro: Last Light, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, the second half of Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is all action and also sucks, Extermination for PS2 isn't a bad little game

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone ever play this old Genesis game? Sorry if its been mentioned already. Nightmare Circus, it was called:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHTfV6e_hXE

I dont think I ever beat a single level, it was just aimless as gently caress. Had a really weird debug mode where 2 players could fight as the NPC/creatures. It just was loving bizarre all around.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone ever play this old Genesis game? Sorry if its been mentioned already. Nightmare Circus, it was called:

I dont think I ever beat a single level, it was just aimless as gently caress. Had a really weird debug mode where 2 players could fight as the NPC/creatures. It just was loving bizarre all around.

I've never even heard or seen anything about this game! Looks esoteric as hell too.

Also wanted to second a recommendation for The Suffering. That was a solid game. Too bad about the sequel. I was so hyped for it and it was so disappointing. Same thing happened to me with Shadowman's sequel: Shadowman: 2nd Coming. The first games in both those series pretty much were final and didn't need to be expanded on.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Wamdoodle posted:

Shadowman: 2nd Coming

Actually it's spelled 2econd Coming(pronounced "two-eckoned").

Didn't Acclaim try to advertise that game on gravestones or some poo poo that they got shut down by actual legal action by the cities they were planning on using for that marketing stunt?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jukebox Hero posted:

Actually it's spelled 2econd Coming(pronounced "two-eckoned").

Didn't Acclaim try to advertise that game on gravestones or some poo poo that they got shut down by actual legal action by the cities they were planning on using for that marketing stunt?

Wow, all these years and I never noticed! Also, yes, that was the game with that crazy rear end marketing stunt. I'm not sure if it was tongue in cheek or serious though.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestonJew posted:

Suffering 2 was the one with the monster pimp that attacked you with a flail made from prostitutes right?

I don't remember which one I played but there was a perv rape monster clown swinging dead women on spikes I think.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

I did. I couldn't even figure out what to do or even what I was supposed to be doing. I remember the rollercoaster level and thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't remember which one I played but there was a perv rape monster clown swinging dead women on spikes I think.

Yeah, that was 2. That dude and the slaver we're the big bads of that one.