Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tiggum posted:

What, in the context of pizza, is white sauce?
Cream based instead of tomato based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

What, in the context of pizza, is white sauce?

You have a sad life.

Re: Pizza Hut's new menu, I haven't tried the weird drizzles but the ginger crust dust is actually pretty good. It's not a terrible idea to make them stand out from the crowd, unfortunately Americans want really plain and simple pizza so it probably won't work.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Nostradingus posted:

You have a sad life.

Re: Pizza Hut's new menu, I haven't tried the weird drizzles but the ginger crust dust is actually pretty good. It's not a terrible idea to make them stand out from the crowd, unfortunately Americans want really plain and simple pizza so it probably won't work.

I must have a sad life too, because I have never heard of white sauce for pizza :confused:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rondette posted:

I must have a sad life too, because I have never heard of white sauce for pizza :confused:

It's definitely not what most people think of when they think pizza, yeah, but you should try it if you get a chance at place you think is decent. It can be quite tasty!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Their latest ad campaign got me to try Pizza Hut again for the first time in about five years, mainly because they made it cheap and I was curious to see if they pulled off something better than Domino's latest attempt to update their pizza. I haven't felt inclined at all to try any of the super-complex creations at all; I went with their garlic butter (I think?) crust and it was on the verge of being too salty, but it was pretty good for the price. I was curious about the pretzel crust, but everyone seemed to have the same opinion on it: too drat salty.

They should've cut the number of crust options in half and not even bothered with the "signature" or whatever bullshit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

you idiots have made me crave pizza :(

not from pizza hut though. just to be clear on that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If Pizza Hut only sold their breadsticks they would be my favorite chain in the world.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

If Pizza Hut only sold their breadsticks they would be my favorite chain in the world.

yo

those mini pizza huts in college food courts and taco bells do

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, like any place that labels themselves as a "Pizza Hut Express" (you often also see them at Targets next to the Starbucks) sell the bread ala carte.

I've never really had a complaint about Pizza Hut (though the new menu sounds like a total trainwreck, excepting maybe that spinach bacon pretzel one). But then, I live in SE Michigan, birthplace of BOTH Domino's and Little Caesar's, and frankly, over here Pizza Hut was always treated more as an dine-in place, with mildly higher scale food, so the prices don't really bother anyone. Kinda like going to Red Robin for a burger that costs twice as much as Burger King.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think trying to launch an upscale artisan-style menu for a restaurant whose primary virtue is being able to deliver large quantities of grease-soaked bread for cheap is probably bad marketing.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Now I'm curious if restaurants test any big changes in a local market or two before sending it out into the world. That said, "New Coke" was apparently a hit in taste tests, but flopped when released nationwide.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

SimplyCosmic posted:

Now I'm curious if restaurants test any big changes in a local market or two before sending it out into the world. That said, "New Coke" was apparently a hit in taste tests, but flopped when released nationwide.

I've seen McDonald's do this quite often actually when trying new or different sandwiches, such as the Big n Tasty or the Arch Deluxe.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I've seen McDonald's do this quite often actually when trying new or different sandwiches, such as the Big n Tasty or the Arch Deluxe.
They're doing it right now with testing all-day breakfast in San Diego. Also, I was bummed when I wasn't in a test market for their seasoned fries...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, like any place that labels themselves as a "Pizza Hut Express" (you often also see them at Targets next to the Starbucks) sell the bread ala carte.

I've never really had a complaint about Pizza Hut (though the new menu sounds like a total trainwreck, excepting maybe that spinach bacon pretzel one). But then, I live in SE Michigan, birthplace of BOTH Domino's and Little Caesar's, and frankly, over here Pizza Hut was always treated more as an dine-in place, with mildly higher scale food, so the prices don't really bother anyone. Kinda like going to Red Robin for a burger that costs twice as much as Burger King.

I meant that they shouldn't sell pizza at all. I'm sure you can get just breadsticks and they just look at you funny.

Also, sup Detroit-area goon. You forgot Hungry Howie's, which is actually good if less widespread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I meant that they shouldn't sell pizza at all. I'm sure you can get just breadsticks and they just look at you funny.

Also, sup Detroit-area goon. You forgot Hungry Howie's, which is actually good if less widespread.

Hungry Howie's is pretty drat good but the only place they have one near me in NW Indiana has the worst parking. We have JJ's, though, which isn't the same but is pretty good.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

you idiots have made me crave pizza :(

not from pizza hut though. just to be clear on that.

Don't ha'te on p'hut.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Sup. Yeah, there's lots of good pizza places here (though the best ones aren't chains, or are very small, like less than 10 total locations.) I find it funny that there's a "detroit style" crust for pizza, but those two big franchises that come from the detroit area don't offer it. (It's a thick, soft deep dish crust with a crispy edge to it.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People think Hungry Howies is good? Around here (NE Ohio) it's the joke pizza that's barely below Dominos.

Although there was an area pretty close to me that was excited to get Dominos so we may be broken.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SimplyCosmic posted:

That's because it suffers from the Pepsi problem in taste tests. It's sweeter so when you get handed two 3oz cups of soda and drink them down you'll probably rate the sweeter one higher which is why Pepsi always won the big Pepsi taste test thing they did. However when you are drinking a glass of soda with your meal the cloying sweetness has time to build up. New Coke was an attempt to copy Pepsi because they wanted to fight the preconception of Coke as being "old" but then they forgot about the silent majority of not-teenagers who didn't wan't a cool hip soda that was way more sugary, they just wanted their loving Coke to taste the same.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
This thread made me buy a pizza.

Thanks thread. :mad: But at least it wasn't Pizza Hut. It's gotten pretty bad lately.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SimplyCosmic posted:

Coke finally launched Coke Life here (Coke that's 35% Stevia or whatever) and I dunno. Pepsi Next isn't going the greatest already and it's exactly the same idea.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Choco1980 posted:

Sup. Yeah, there's lots of good pizza places here (though the best ones aren't chains, or are very small, like less than 10 total locations.) I find it funny that there's a "detroit style" crust for pizza, but those two big franchises that come from the detroit area don't offer it. (It's a thick, soft deep dish crust with a crispy edge to it.)

It's all about Buddy's.

And speaking of Sea World from earlier... they did a thing:

quote:

SeaWorld is hitting back at an ex-trainer turned critic, including releasing a private video showing him using the N-word while drunk.

A SeaWorld official sent the video to reporters as former trainer John Hargrove was beginning a tour promoting his book "Beneath The Surface," which alleges maltreatment of orcas.

Hargrove was an orca trainer for 12 years at SeaWorld parks in San Diego and San Antonio.

Since leaving SeaWorld, he has become one of its harshest critics. He was featured in the documentary "Blackfish" and testified in support of a bill in Sacramento that would have forced SeaWorld San Diego to halt its killer whale shows.

SeaWorld's corporate office in Orlando sent an email to reporters this week, restating its allegations that Hargrove has "repeatedly provided statements that are misleading, false or in conflict with statements he has made previously."

A link to the video that SeaWorld said it had received days ago "from an internal whistleblower" was included. The video "is particularly reprehensible since John Hargrove is wearing a SeaWorld shirt."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-seaworld-critic-20150401-story.html

Full vid on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZnT41Mur50

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

People think Hungry Howies is good? Around here (NE Ohio) it's the joke pizza that's barely below Dominos.

Although there was an area pretty close to me that was excited to get Dominos so we may be broken.

Hungry Howie's flavored crust is dope. The Cleveland area also has good food in general but the rural parts of NE Ohio are a wasteland. Although Wooster at least has Coccia House, but that doesn't deliver.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus Christ, that's desperate.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a company poison the well so explicitly outside of fiction TV.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Besesoth posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a company poison the well so explicitly outside of fiction TV.

We can only hope Seaworld goes full Scientology.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Zero One posted:

It's all about Buddy's.

Sounds like Seaworld is resorting to blackmail to keep their reputation. I wouldn't be surprised if that documentary is the downfall of Seaworld as a whole. Kind of interesting to see how much of an impact Netflix has in that respect

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Hungry Howie's flavored crust is dope. The Cleveland area also has good food in general but the rural parts of NE Ohio are a wasteland. Although Wooster at least has Coccia House, but that doesn't deliver.

Ummmmm... Fellow NE Ohio goons.... I think you're forgetting about a little place called Luigi's in Akron. I'd drive a monster truck through my child's funeral procession for that pizza...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GPTribefan posted:

Ummmmm... Fellow NE Ohio goons.... I think you're forgetting about a little place called Luigi's in Akron. I'd drive a monster truck through my child's funeral procession for that pizza...

I have never eaten in Akron.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't know Pizza Hut had regional pricing. Here it's my go-to drunk food - eleven bucks for a large with any toppings. That's the cheapest in town besides the hot-n-ready mess.

We have some pretty great local pizza places but sometimes you're swimming in steak and just want a hotdog.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SimplyCosmic posted:

The thing about New Coke that gets forgotten sometimes is that the problem wasn't with the New Coke itself, but the fact it replaced regular Coke when nobody actually wanted a replacement for regular Coke.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The thing about New Coke that gets forgotten sometimes is that the problem wasn't with the New Coke itself, but the fact it replaced regular Coke when nobody actually wanted a replacement for regular Coke.

So there have been things I've heard on that end, probably just weird conspiracy theories, that part of the reason for that was to replace the classic coke recipe of sugar for splenda. I've never actually looked at the numbers, but is there any validity to that?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

So there have been things I've heard on that end, probably just weird conspiracy theories, that part of the reason for that was to replace the classic coke recipe of sugar for splenda. I've never actually looked at the numbers, but is there any validity to that?

A coke CEO once said that anyone who assumes a conspiracy simultaneously gives them too much and too little credit. There was no gain to the risk they would have taken on new coke that they did. All that happened was cokes sales were flagging to Pepsi and they thought they'd change the recipe. Market research shows most people never even tried new coke. While it may have been awful (or not) the real reason was people were just upset at the audacity of changing an American classic (even though it had already been adjusted over the years many times, their downfall was making a big deal about it). That's all that went into it.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 11:13 on Apr 3, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Let's not forget that other pizza companies can be dumb too.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zero One posted:

It's all about Buddy's.

Aside from mentioning how awful this is on all sides, I love things like this. When you're with us, say the N-word with reckless abandon, but don't ever go against us or else. I mean, a number of those "This Sorority Girl/Fraternity Guy's Racist E-mail" things usually only get released because someone is trying to hurt their reputation, not because they actually have a problem with the content or what the person said.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Let's not forget that other pizza companies can be dumb too.

I think I see Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Ham? Way to be a trailblazer Tim.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Barrista: Hello! How would xe like xis coffee today?

Customer 1: *gesticulates wildly and makes a series of fart noises with his mouth*

Barrista: *takes notes and nods thoughtfully*

Customer 2: Yes I'd like a large--

Barrista: *clears throat noisily*

Customer 2: ...a large mocha--

Barrista: Alright, get the gently caress out, we don't serve your kind here.

Customer 3: Hi, I'd like a Venti black coffee, and speaking of which, how do you think society can overcome the self-feeding cycle of disproportionate African american incarceration?

Haha

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

RagnarokAngel posted:

A coke CEO once said that anyone who assumes a conspiracy simultaneously gives them too much and too little credit. There was no gain to the risk they would have taken on new coke that they did. All that happened was cokes sales were flagging to Pepsi and they thought they'd change the recipe. Market research shows most people never even tried new coke. While it may have been awful (or not) the real reason was people were just upset at the audacity of changing an American classic (even though it had already been adjusted over the years many times, their downfall was making a big deal about it). That's all that went into it.

When I worked at a grocery store I once had an old man yell at me because we weren't carrying the old 7-up anymore. All they did was change the labeling.

People get really upset at changing the slightest things they like.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Sugar to high fructose corn syrup, but yes, that was a prominent theory.

Snopes has an excellent page on New Coke. Like the Edsel, it's classic story of corporate America completely misreading the American public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

What's interesting is that Diet Coke still uses the new Coke formula because new Coke was based on it and people get really pissed every time they try and change Diet Coke.