Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
It sounds like Iran agreed to phased sanction relief. That's a pretty big concession on their part isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So is there an actual chance that the GOP fucks this deal up?

I don't know, but Obama's speech did have a section about Congress where he said "if Congress kills this deal."

It's already dead, isn't it :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know, but Obama's speech did have a section about Congress where he said "if Congress kills this deal."

The agreement is between a bunch of countries and Iran. Obama could have done something clever here that doesn't commit the US to do anything that requires congressional approval.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

PostNouveau posted:

No the Iranians probably just used the fact that the US congress is insane and unreliable to extract better concessions from the Europeans.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Their backers stand to make fat stacks mountains with another war?

right. I forgot about the money :(

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

DemeaninDemon posted:

Their backers stand to make fat stacks mountains with another war?

They never actually learned anything from Iraq (or Vietnam, or Afghanistan). It's not just about their backers, they are actually stupid enough to believe that somehow attacking Iran will end better than Iraq (and Iraq was somehow Obama's fault). Iran being 3x the size with >3x the population and mountainous terrain of course means nothing. As does the reality that we can't bomb their nuclear program away.

They really are that deluded.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pervis posted:

As does the reality that we can't bomb their nuclear program away.
Well, I mean, we can.

By turning the entire country into glass, and starting WWIII, and most likely destroying life as we know it on this planet.

But we can! :gop:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pervis posted:

They never actually learned anything from Iraq (or Vietnam, or Afghanistan). It's not just about their backers, they are actually stupid enough to believe that somehow attacking Iran will end better than Iraq (and Iraq was somehow Obama's fault). Iran being 3x the size with >3x the population and mountainous terrain of course means nothing. As does the reality that we can't bomb their nuclear program away.

They really are that deluded.

Why the gently caress would they?

We've literally called up the last country we were at war with, told them exactly what we were going to do and how to do it and then because of how much we spend on our military we won without even really trying. We basically took the main highway to Baghdad with huge neon signs on our tanks saying "come stop up fuckers" and won handily. And I'm not saying this like I have a war boner or anything either... It's terrifying that the US military could basically curb stomp any other nation on earth even if it was being lead by George loving McClellan.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

We've literally called up the last country we were at war with, told them exactly what we were going to do and how to do it and then because of how much we spend on our military we won without even really trying. We basically took the main highway to Baghdad with huge neon signs on our tanks saying "come stop up fuckers" and won handily. And I'm not saying this like I have a war boner or anything either... It's terrifying that the US military could basically curb stomp any other nation on earth even if it was being lead by George loving McClellan.

Yeah, there's a difference between theatre victories and winning in a national strategy sense.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
the US military is good at blowing poo poo up and that's all anyone cares about...sure other metrics are important to normal people, but not anyone that matters

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WATCH [JEB] BUSH START A loving WAR

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Someone has been reading the 9/11 thread.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between theatre victories and winning in a national strategy sense.

Not when their end goal is to sell more weapons to the US.

Zeitgueist posted:

the US military is good at blowing poo poo up and that's all anyone cares about...sure other metrics are important to normal people, but not anyone that matters

Basically this. Who cares about the aftermath when the bombing campaign gets such high ratings?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

Then crippled by guerilla tactics while shoveling billions to private contractors. :911:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

They can declare war on whoever they want

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sure. Congressmen can introduce whatever bill want and say whatever they want in congress, speech and debate clause.

Besides, you know you can be in diplomatic talks with countries that you have declared war on, right?

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Why not blow up some Podunk pizza restaurant's yelp page and send anonymous threatening messages and phone calls to its owners?

http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

They're gonna walk off with several hundred thousand dollars, a reaffirmation of their beliefs, and nobody's going to remember who they are in two weeks. Good job, internet!

Who knew hatred is so profitable? Maybe that pizza chick can get some dental work done.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Then crippled by guerilla tactics while shoveling billions to private contractors. :911:

I believe they call this a feature and not a bug.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure. Congressmen can introduce whatever bill want and say whatever they want in congress, speech and debate clause.

Besides, you know you can be in diplomatic talks with countries that you have declared war on, right?
I meant the kind of diplomatic talks that involve not going to war in the first place.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sure. Too bad the president is the commander in chief and can simply not deploy troops.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dayvan Cowboy posted:

Why not blow up some Podunk pizza restaurant's yelp page and send anonymous threatening messages and phone calls to its owners?

http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

They're gonna walk off with several hundred thousand dollars, a reaffirmation of their beliefs, and nobody's going to remember who they are in two weeks. Good job, internet!

Who would've guessed people on the Internet would do something like that???

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Raerlynn posted:

Sure. Too bad the president is the commander in chief and can simply not deploy troops.

Couldn't he also veto the bill or is an authorization different from a law somehow?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

No the Iranians probably just used the fact that the US congress is insane and unreliable to extract better concessions from the Europeans.

That's exactly what they did, reports were they used it to apply pressure to France to get them to ease up

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

That's exactly what they did, reports were they used it to apply pressure to France to get them to ease up

Our politicians are finally more racist and paranoid than French politicians!

USA! USA! USA!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

The problem with saying we lost in failing to achieve our strategic goals is that there weren't any real strategic goals in attacking Iraq. Like even the nominal ones of "hinder access to resources by extremist groups" were undone by the fact we want to war, not by anything done to us. It was pretty much just "gently caress it, let's fight", not "war is the continuation of politics by other means".

I mean I honestly cannot come up with a national goal that wasn't lost as soon as we decided to go in, versus one lost by what those we were working against did. If anyone can think of one I'd be interested in hearing their case.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radbot posted:

Who would've guessed people on the Internet would do something like that???

It's organized by Glenn Beck's crew at TheBlaze

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Now that's the scam to get in on. Next time there is a national "outrage" just be the one who sets up the gofundme page and skim off the top as administration fees

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Dr. Tough posted:

Whites will always be a majority of the US population. The day that "white" as it's defined now dips to 49.9% is the day that "hispanic" disappears as a racial category.

I will throw a "congrats on your promotion" party for some friends when that shoe drops

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fried Chicken posted:

It's organized by Glenn Beck's crew at TheBlaze

poo poo, I was hoping it was a scam. Like an outright take-the-money-and-run thing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem with saying we lost in failing to achieve our strategic goals is that there weren't any real strategic goals in attacking Iraq. Like even the nominal ones of "hinder access to resources by extremist groups" were undone by the fact we want to war, not by anything done to us. It was pretty much just "gently caress it, let's fight", not "war is the continuation of politics by other means".

I mean I honestly cannot come up with a national goal that wasn't lost as soon as we decided to go in, versus one lost by what those we were working against did. If anyone can think of one I'd be interested in hearing their case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHol7WW2A8g

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SaltLick posted:

Now that's the scam to get in on. Next time there is a national "outrage" just be the one who sets up the gofundme page and skim off the top as administration fees

Or be the person getting ostracized and take the whole shebang.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Mauser posted:

Couldn't he also veto the bill or is an authorization different from a law somehow?

The Constitution says that "every Order, Resolution, or Vote" that passes through both chambers must be approved by the President, so yes he could just veto it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SaltLick posted:

Its pretty much a huge industry on the right. You'll fundraise for a "cause" using scaremails and then end up charging 50%+ in fees etc. The "cause" still gets a donation they never would have otherwise and you get a gently caress ton of money.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Munkeymon posted:

poo poo, I was hoping it was a scam. Like an outright take-the-money-and-run thing.

Who said it wasn't?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

So this guy seems to think Kansas' trickle-down policies have been an indisputable success:

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/033115-745978-kansas-job-creating-machine-shows-that-tax-cuts-work.htm

Worth mentioning is what was not mentioned: any talk about the magic of tax cuts increasing revenues.

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for, or was that Branco?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for?

Yup.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

So in other words, deficit spending can lead to economic growth? Nice to see that conservatives are finally getting on board with what liberals have been saying for decades. :v:

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't this the rag that Ramirez does cartoons for, or was that Branco?

Ramirez, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sir Tonk posted:

Who said it wasn't?

If The Blaze is behind it I'm assuming they're not going to totally screw the pizza bigots.

• Locked thread