Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Could you dipshits be more wrong?

I'm sorry that my commentary on your poo poo ~carefully-tended garden~ format went over your heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I want to splash Green in Merfolk for it.

Let me live the dream.

Then you can finally have good blue creatures in your deck, such as Tarmogoyf

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ciprian Maricon posted:

mcmagic is wrong/posts dumb opinions about as often as most posters.

he got burned really good one time and it started a tournament and it was honestly pretty funny but now people are trying way too hard trying to pretend he's uniquely wrong about things

i dont ... know... his... ellipses... count... is pretty... average... too...

i could not care less about whether mcmagic is right or wrong it's his whole rapidfire post nonsense without substantiation that's really obnoxious especially during spoiler season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

mcmagic is wrong/posts dumb opinions about as often as most posters.

he got burned really good one time and it started a tournament and it was honestly pretty funny but now people are trying way too hard trying to pretend he's uniquely wrong about things

Chains is still bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Twin always plays Peek over Probe...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah Peek is pretty useful one-of when considering to go for the combo, wtf are you even talking about Toshino? iirc it was even in the winning modern PT list and it's certainly been around lots before.

The winning Modern deck in the other tournament I linked ran 4 Probe too. http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9470&d=254303&f=MO

Granted it's also running Pyromancer, but that seems like another argument in Probe's favour if anything (because Pyromancer is a Good Card)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Toshimo posted:

Could you dipshits be more wrong?

I'm sorry that my commentary on your poo poo ~carefully-tended garden~ format went over your heads.

Look what I can do!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The winning Modern deck in the other tournament I linked ran 4 Probe too. http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9470&d=254303&f=MO

Granted it's also running Pyromancer, but that seems like another argument in Probe's favour if anything (because Pyromancer is a Good Card)

Twin with Pyro is a new list. I haven't seen it before. Clearly probe is something you want to be doing if you want to play Pyromancer but this wasn't a thing before last weekend.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mcmagic posted:

Chains is still bad.

You're still wrong.

Ask my friend who took 3rd at Eternal Weekend, using my Chains in his board, how bad it is.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
That NRA avatar finally makes sense as the subject proceeds to shoot himself in the foot.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
mcmagic is a terrible poster in all subforums. hth

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

mcmagic is a terrible poster in all subforums. hth

I've acquired a cadre of assholes who follow me around and shitpost after pretty much everything I say no matter what it is regardless of the topic.

suicidesteve posted:

You're still wrong.

Ask my friend who took 3rd at Eternal Weekend, using my Chains in his board, how bad it is.

You don't finish 3rd because of 1 SB card usually.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MEtaposting, is it good or bad? Also the ten most underrated posts that aren't seeing play right now.

To read the rest of this post you must be a rabidsquid insider. You can subscribe to rabidsquid insider for only 33.99 a year and also get a cool pin, or maybe some awesome dog pictures

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo I am down for some sw8 dog pictures.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Let me live the dream.

Play Zegana for extra green value :getin: Only need 1 green source if you cast it with Cavern.

and everyone stop talking about mcmagic gently caress its annoying

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
To be honest, I didn't expect Peek to be a real card in Modern. The effect has never quite seemed worth a card slot in serious constructed if you couldn't cast it for zero mana. I guess I was wrong though!

Of course, I'm probably as bad as mcmagic in many regards.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how some dude empty posted about some card going in his EDH deck about 50 times and never posted anything else requiring thought yet no one gave a poo poo. Instead, they loving complain constantly about mcmagic having opinions about Magic: the Gathering in a Magic: the Gathering thread.

If you want to post an intelligent thought why he's wrong, that's fine. Its a discussion thread. If you want to point out that he's wrong and stupid because he's mcmagic then holy hell shut the gently caress up you goony shitlord.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Posts complaining about posters are always worse than the posts they're complaining about.

(that includes this post)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how some dude empty posted about some card going in his EDH deck about 50 times and never posted anything else requiring thought yet no one gave a poo poo. Instead, they loving complain constantly about mcmagic having opinions about Magic: the Gathering in a Magic: the Gathering thread.

If you want to post an intelligent thought why he's wrong, that's fine. Its a discussion thread. If you want to point out that he's wrong and stupid because he's mcmagic then holy hell shut the gently caress up you goony shitlord.
This will go great in my lovely mcmagic posts EDH deck

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

JerryLee posted:

To be honest, I didn't expect Peek to be a real card in Modern. The effect has never quite seemed worth a card slot in serious constructed if you couldn't cast it for zero mana. I guess I was wrong though!

When your deck both leaves your opponent paralysed in fear of instantly losing and operates 99% at instant speed one mana starts to look more appealing than 2 life.

You don't especially want to Probe into Scapeshift (sad trumpet noises) or Burn (record needle scratch).

Ultimately it's because all the good cantrips are banned, as they should be.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rated 1, no goatse

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

This will go great in my lovely mcmagic posts EDH deck

That deck is getting mighty large at this point.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

Hmm yes let's keep it so the only viable poo poo is either piles of cards of similar power level/effects or poo poo that instantly kills turn 4

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ungulateman posted:

When your deck both leaves your opponent paralysed in fear of instantly losing and operates 99% at instant speed one mana starts to look more appealing than 2 life.

You don't especially want to Probe into Scapeshift (sad trumpet noises) or Burn (record needle scratch).

Are you talking about Signal the Rats? Nothing is banned in that deck

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just remember, as bad as you think the MTG community can get:

https://twitter.com/kadybat/status/583672195630567424

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hmm yes let's keep it so the only viable poo poo is either piles of cards of similar power level/effects or poo poo that instantly kills turn 4

Seems like when the good cantrips were legal, it just made the turn 4-ish blowout decks more consistent.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cantrips ultimately speed up and power up all decks. Adding more cantrips isn't going to make Twin or Storm or any busted combo worse.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I thought peek showing up in recent deck-lists was a concession to the power of modern burn at this point.What is even being argued about? It seems sensible if you are trying to pad against popular decks.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

Let me live the dream.

My friend is trying to get me to play it because I only have my one Merfolk deck for Modern and just borrow everyone else's when I get bored with it. He wants to build Barbershop next though so it's like lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Cantrips ultimately speed up and power up all decks. Adding more cantrips isn't going to make Twin or Storm or any busted combo worse.

Then ban Twin because at this point it's honestly just more trouble to the format than it's worth

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Then ban Twin because at this point it's honestly just more trouble to the format than it's worth

Ban Twin, Ban Storm, Ban All Decks,

Complain that you can't play your deck in the format because it's banned.

I'm not supporting Twin (although I haven't seen it in my local meta) but there will just be another combo deck that is powered up by ponder and preordain.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

Just remember, as bad as you think the MTG community can get:

https://twitter.com/kadybat/status/583672195630567424

At least they did something about it. There's a few LGS's where that's a prob with magic players but won't do anything to hurt their cash cow. Though in my experience the grogs and grinders are the most niggardly of customers.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

It is of course instant vs. sorcery that makes the difference. Twin really like to hold mana up when it can, peek gives it something else to do on the opponents turn. As you can imagine once you have 4+ mana, you can peek, if the coast is clear combo or play your big threat like keranos (if post SB)

It is a flex spot really, some versions run probe, some peek, some thought scour. It really points to how awful modern blue cantrips are more than anything. I don't get quite why Toshimo picked this as a thing to stake himself on, he's wrong. Peek is a card that successful Twin builds play. That slot, and be it peek, probe, or scour isn't the most critical choice in the deck. It probably isn't a 1% effective difference. I play the peek, I agree with the having an instant, and sometimes it is a bonus that lets you see if you can go off or not.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

You clearly have no idea how Modern works as a format nor the philosophy of its bans. Twin is sacred. If it is never top-tier then something must be banned to put it right back up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You clearly have no idea how Modern works as a format nor the philosophy of its bans. Twin is sacred. If it is never top-tier then something must be banned to put it right back up.

Those rear end holes at Wizards have ARBITRARILY determined that the fundamental turn of Modern should be turn 4. Unfortunately if your deck doesn't win on turn 4 immediately it's not viable in Modern, forcing everyone to play combo. Nothing else has placed in over six years.

Wizards do you even pay attention to your own formats?

Luckily for those of us in the know none of the power cards from the mightiest combo deck, Signal the Rats, have been banned YET.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jassi007 posted:

It is a flex spot really, some versions run probe, some peek, some thought scour. It really points to how awful modern blue cantrips are more than anything. I don't get quite why Toshimo picked this as a thing to stake himself on, he's wrong. Peek is a card that successful Twin builds play. That slot, and be it peek, probe, or scour isn't the most critical choice in the deck. It probably isn't a 1% effective difference. I play the peek, I agree with the having an instant, and sometimes it is a bonus that lets you see if you can go off or not.

Uhh...

My original post was a sarcastic quip about how Peek is actually a thing (in the context that cantrips have been banned into the ground so WotC could have this elegant, yet garbage format).

You are actually agreeing with my point.

The problem came in when functional illiterate and forum superstar mcmagic came in to tell me that "literally all Twin decks have switched from Probe to Peek". I easily showed how that was demonstrably wrong in about 30 seconds of work.

Then mcmagic, Angry Grimace, and the shitpost brigade proceeded to have a whinefest that drowned the thread in a singularity of suck.

This is a cycle that happens pretty often:
Step 1: mcmagic posts some idiot poo poo that makes no sense.
Step 2: Somebody calls him out on his dumb poo poo.
Step 3: He whines about how he's ~terribly persecuted~.

Turns out he's the only one with this problem because he's the perfect storm of worst poster and most prolific poster in the thread.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Toshimo posted:

Uhh...

My original post was a sarcastic quip about how Peek is actually a thing (in the context that cantrips have been banned into the ground so WotC could have this elegant, yet garbage format).

You are actually agreeing with my point.

The problem came in when functional illiterate and forum superstar mcmagic came in to tell me that "literally all Twin decks have switched from Probe to Peek". I easily showed how that was demonstrably wrong in about 30 seconds of work.

Then mcmagic, Angry Grimace, and the shitpost brigade proceeded to have a whinefest that drowned the thread in a singularity of suck.

This is a cycle that happens pretty often:
Step 1: mcmagic posts some idiot poo poo that makes no sense.
Step 2: Somebody calls him out on his dumb poo poo.
Step 3: He whines about how he's ~terribly persecuted~.

Turns out he's the only one with this problem because he's the perfect storm of worst poster and most prolific poster in the thread.

Sorry, misunderstood. Carry on sir. Something something, sarcasm, internet.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

It's not that McMagic posts wrong things more often than anyone else, it's that he always picks a loving fight about it.

loving stop slapfighting, pitiable rear end, the meta-argument over how wrong you are is super loving tedious.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Something's wrong with me. I'm actually sitting here eagerly hoping my Shorecrasher Elementals arrive in the mail in time for me to play Mono-U at tomorrow's FNM.

Question: Is 3 Mirror Mockery too cute for the deck? It's such a weak form of "removal", even for blue, yet the potential to stick one on my own Master of Waves feels too stupidly enticing to give up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Any number is too many because the best case scenario it's a kind of bad Pacifism and worst case scenario you get infinity for one'd when they remove your Master of Waves in response.

On the other hand it's FNM so jam as many as makes you happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

It's not that McMagic posts wrong things more often than anyone else, it's that he always picks a loving fight about it.

loving stop slapfighting, pitiable rear end, the meta-argument over how wrong you are is super loving tedious.

Yo, bro. Let's talk about Robots. Cranially plated Robots. RIP artifact lands.

• Locked thread