Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Front Mission 1 is actually the best one. There's an official DS release that has a second storyline (to keep it in line with the later games when that became a standard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mega64 posted:

There's strategy in grouping same jobs together to boost them or spreading them out for variety.

Don't forget things like different unit types having different movement ranges, and a squad's total movement being based off of an aggregate of the units comprised therein. Do you want four Heavy Armors for level 40 crushes but can barely move a handful of panels, or do you give them a Light Armor to give them a significant movement boost but lose a quarter of their crush offense?

Great game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I want to play FF XII. Is there a best way to do so? PS2, emulator (if so which one)? Is there a specific edition I should be looking for?

Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I want to play FF XII. Is there a best way to do so? PS2, emulator (if so which one)? Is there a specific edition I should be looking for?

Thanks.

FFXII got a re-release called Zodiac Job Edition but only in Japan. A PS2 emulated and english-patched version of this is the optimal way to play.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's pretty convenient since it rips most of the English text from the U.S release, so all you need to do is use your own FFXII disc to make the patch.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Wrinkle: There is rumoured to be an HD port of FFXII-IZJS in development though it hasn't been confirmed, much less given an ETA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
But the PS4 doesn't have a turbo button. You ever combined Zodiac's turbo button with PCSX2's frame skip? poo poo goes FAST.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Wrinkle: There is rumoured to be an HD port of FFXII-IZJS in development though it hasn't been confirmed, much less given an ETA.

I would buy the poo poo out of that

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fedule posted:

I would day 1 buy that so hard.

If it was released for the PS4 that might even tempt me to shell out the money for one (plus I'd have an excuse to get FFXV), although I don't see why it can't run just as well on the PS3.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Remember that they announced FFX HD Remaster at TGS 2011 but we didn't actually get it till 2014 (holy gently caress).

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 2, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fedule posted:

I'd buy this before it was released.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Where can I play FFVII? There's one for Windows, but I have a Mac. :saddowns:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Violet_Sky posted:

Macs have had Boot Camp since 2006(?) where you can partition your hard drive and install Windows, so if you're willing to do that, it's an option :eng101:

There's also PCSX-OSX, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's just crappy.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
You can stream FFVII on the Dive-In service for iOS.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Violet_Sky posted:

It is also getting a PS4 port.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
Okay, really dumb and probably obvious question for Record Keeper--do the Mastery Rewards repeat when you beat dungeons again?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Grope-A-Matic posted:

Okay, really dumb and probably obvious question for Record Keeper--do the Mastery Rewards repeat when you beat dungeons again?

No.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CeallaSo posted:

:words: about front mission

Front Mission 3 is probably the best though I only played an hour of the first two entries. Some people say 5 is the best but take that with the same grain of salt that should have been taken when people said "we missed the best FF in years when they refused to bring Type 0 to the US on PSP." It's got good things about it but the story is really weak compared to other entries and mostly relies on nostalgia for earlier games in the series because it references them a lot and ties their plots together in some ways.

Don't play the PC game. I played and finished it and it feels like a really lovely, watered down Armored Core game with an instantly forgettable story, which is saying something since Armored Core is already a series with a lot of flaws.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Front Mission Evolved was part of Square-Enix's attempt to make a breakout entry with global appeal. It was supposed to appeal to both Japanese players who liked Armored Core/Gundam and overseas consumers who liked shooters with online. There was a developer's diary that went into detail about it. Shinji Hashimoto was in it and he seemed very excited.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
It was close to being an OK action game but fell short on a lot of fronts. Its fundamentals could have worked in the hands of a better team.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I actually kind of liked that it was a watered down Armored Core, considering that series' complexity. But I also only really liked Gun Hazard when it comes to Front Mission and I don't think I even beat that either.

Still dumb and easy, though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I think the chances of a new Front Mission game in the style of the older SRPGs are slim to none. Toshiro Tsuchida, the creative force behind the series, left to join mobile/social gaming giant GREE as a full employee. Tsuchida said he was getting old and wanted to work on games with shorter development cycles. I think the last Front mission related product was from Square-Enix's comicbook division.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Mega64 posted:

Bahamut Lagoon is pretty nice in that it's Fire Emblem except all of your units is a four-man party and each battle between two units is basically a round of FF-style combat. There are different jobs similar to FF that have abilities both in and out of battle (you can use out-of-battle damage abilities to weaken enemies and even change the map, like using ice magic to freeze water). There's strategy in grouping same jobs together to boost them or spreading them out for variety. And of course you can talk to all your NPC companions between chapters, though since there's several dozen of them most only get a little bit of development, but it's still nice.

And of course each unit also has a dragon that is very useful for weakening units, though they're controlled by AI (you can choose their general behavior though, like "Go attack" or "Stay back"). Each dragon can upgrade in different ways and learn different abilities, to the point where you can make the protagonist's dragon literally invincible. And I'm pretty sure each dragon boosts the party it's attached to in different ways (but I could be wrong on that, it's been a long time since I played).

Story is actually pretty interesting by late-SNES RPG standards. It starts off as a bog-standard rebellion-vs.-empire story, though they do mix things up a bit in a couple areas. I liked it well enough. Translation was pretty solid too, which is to be expected since Tomato (of Mother 3 fame) worked on it.

Definitely worth a try if you're into strategy RPGs.

It also has a great new game+ feature, and the graphics/music are really good too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Front Mission 3 is probably the best though I only played an hour of the first two entries. Some people say 5 is the best but take that with the same grain of salt that should have been taken when people said "we missed the best FF in years when they refused to bring Type 0 to the US on PSP." It's got good things about it but the story is really weak compared to other entries and mostly relies on nostalgia for earlier games in the series because it references them a lot and ties their plots together in some ways.

Don't play the PC game. I played and finished it and it feels like a really lovely, watered down Armored Core game with an instantly forgettable story, which is saying something since Armored Core is already a series with a lot of flaws.

FM3 was the most ambitious and interesting of all the games, with the most impressive worldbuilding and scope. Gameplay wise it's probably not as well designed as the games that came later and had much less of a military tone than the other games, which isn't a plus if you're in it for the military robot fights. But it was an globetrotting adventure with an idiot with anger management issues blowing stuff up around the world while also taking down an evil conspiracy involving genetic supermen who obviously weren't superior to the guy fueled by rage and a weird fixation on his sister-not-related-by-blood.

So I guess it was kinda the most "anime" of the franchise, but it was also entertaining in a goofy but sincere and enthusiastic Fast and Furious sort of way.

FM5's story tries to tie the entire franchise together more tightly but winds up losing coherence and oomph as its own story, and feels a bit like a Greatest Hits collection as a result.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I need someone to just give me an IZJS team so I can stop sperging out about this and actually play.

Help me out Final Fantasy thread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Thiefx6.

Or just go something like Knight/White Mage/Black Mage/Thief/Red Mage/whatever.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fister Roboto posted:

I need someone to just give me an IZJS team so I can stop sperging out about this and actually play.

Here's the last team I sperged out over, including handy indicators of which classes should get which Espers:

Team 1:
Archer – Balthier (Famfrit- 825 HP)
Red Mage – Penelo (Cuchulainn – aga-level black magic) (Shemhazai – Esuna, Cleanse) (Exodus- Heavy armor 8-10) (Zodiark – Ragnarok?)
Breaker – Fran (Belias – Horology) (Hasmal- Swiftness)

Team 2:
White Mage – Vaan (Chaos – 310 HP, Greatswords 2)
Time Mage – Basch (Mateus – 230HP) (Adremmelech – Cura, Raise) (Zalera- Ether Lore 3) (Zeromus – Addle, Shear) (Zodiark – Swords 9- Durandal, Durandal A?)
Uhlan – Ashe (Ultima- Expose)

Or here's another one:
Basch - Knight
Penelo - Black Mage
Balthier - Hunter

Fran - Monk
Vaan - Samurai
Ashe - Red Mage

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 4, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Create two teams of 3.

One melee attacker, one ranged attacker, and one support.

Knight, White Mage, Machinst

Breaker, Red Mage, Archer.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fister Roboto posted:

Pick the most inappropriate-sounding job for each character.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I've been playing FFX because (a) I've never played a final fantasy game and (b) it seemed like a great idea at the time. It's been fun but I'm currently inside Mt. Gagazet (after a really stupidly hard boss, holy gently caress) and the game's starting to wear on me a bit. About how long do I have to go?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not that much longer if you don't do optional content. maybe 5 hours?

e: oh you just started gagazet, not finished it. a bit longer than that then

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 5, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Protip Poison is really good in FFX.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Color Printer posted:

So I've been playing FFX because (a) I've never played a final fantasy game and (b) it seemed like a great idea at the time. It's been fun but I'm currently inside Mt. Gagazet (after a really stupidly hard boss, holy gently caress) and the game's starting to wear on me a bit. About how long do I have to go?

There's one more boss in Gagazet, then two mandatory dungeons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Color Printer posted:

You're approaching the end but yeah as you've seen already this is when the game actually gets hard. The hardest non-optional bosses in the game are all coming up soon.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just got to chapter 5 in bravery default. Tell me this isn't making me do all that poo poo again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I just got to chapter 5 in bravery default. Tell me this isn't making me do all that poo poo again.

Why are you asking us to lie

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RC Cola posted:

I've got some bad news.

But in all seriousness, it's not that bad. Turn off random battles, and it's easy to speed through. And after a chapter or two, the optional fights get interesting again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RC Cola posted:

haha i loving warned you

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've got some bad news.

But in all seriousness, it's not that bad. Turn off random battles, and it's easy to speed through. And after a chapter or two, the optional fights get interesting again.

Is it worth redoing all the side quests? I just burned myself out seeing all of this. I don't even want to max every job anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

RC Cola posted:

Is it worth redoing all the side quests? I just burned myself out seeing all of this. I don't even want to max every job anymore.

You can skip them until chapter... what is it, 7? For now they're almost the exact same as the originals, but in ch7 they start to change and become the reason to continue on to the end. It's just the (exceptionally short) chapters 5 and 6 that are a slog to get through.