Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My group realized last weekend that we really like Shopping as a mechanic in games. We like Dominion, we like buying the power tiles in Kemet, buying technologies in Eminent Domain, buying from the market in Suburbia, etc. "Shopping" is kind of broad and could be used to describe a number of vaguely similar mechanics, but the shopping in these games is more appealing than in games where we draft from a pool that changes from turn to turn (7 Wonders, Agricola). Especially if drafting has an equal cost associated with each. Games where you "shop" from your own hand (Race, GtR) sort of fall somewhere in the middle.

I think the pleasure might be in that pavlovian bargain hunting instinct instilled in us by our parents.

Any other renowned games that feature a strong shopping element out there? Does what I'm trying to categorize here even make sense?

Machi Koro springs to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My group realized last weekend that we really like Shopping as a mechanic in games. We like Dominion, we like buying the power tiles in Kemet, buying technologies in Eminent Domain, buying from the market in Suburbia, etc. "Shopping" is kind of broad and could be used to describe a number of vaguely similar mechanics, but the shopping in these games is more appealing than in games where we draft from a pool that changes from turn to turn (7 Wonders, Agricola). Especially if drafting has an equal cost associated with each. Games where you "shop" from your own hand (Race, GtR) sort of fall somewhere in the middle.

I think the pleasure might be in that pavlovian bargain hunting instinct instilled in us by our parents.

Any other renowned games that feature a strong shopping element out there? Does what I'm trying to categorize here even make sense?

Lost Legends (a drafting game and dungeon crawl) does this, sort of. There's drafting involved, but you're making economic selections from a decreasing range of options. I'm not sure what the larger opinion is, but I like it a lot.

Essentially each player starts with a pack of item cards that have gold costs. You get a round to either buy one, or turn it into skill for free. You then pass the pack to the next player. High skill levels give discounts. You earn money through gameplay. The entire game is an exercise in kitting out your character through shopping so that they can meet the next (harder) round of dungeon crawling.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Shopping as a mechanic totally makes sense to me, I like it too.

I think it has a role to play in making a game feel like even if you're doing poorly you still have a fighting chance. You might be able to buy or bargain hunt just the thing you think you need to get back in the running.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's always Castles of Mad King Ludwig, where someone plays price-setter and then everyone hunts for bargains or pays out the nose for that thing they really wanted.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My group realized last weekend that we really like Shopping as a mechanic in games. We like Dominion, we like buying the power tiles in Kemet, buying technologies in Eminent Domain, buying from the market in Suburbia, the items in between rounds of Arcadia Quest, etc. "Shopping" is kind of broad and could be used to describe a number of vaguely similar mechanics, but the shopping in these games is more appealing than in games where we draft from a pool that changes from turn to turn (7 Wonders, Agricola). Especially if drafting has an equal cost associated with each. Games where you "shop" from your own hand (Race, GtR) sort of fall somewhere in the middle.

Maybe you'd like Scoville. It's not exactly shopping but it has a similar sort of 'claim something before the other person does' element.

You'll be placing peppers on the board to create areas that you walk around in, and crossbreeding them according to a chart (a bit like mixing paint in Fresco), but there are 3 different 'markets' in the game - one is an auction where the first person gets the first pick of options, one is a sale where you can sell off your peppers for some cash and other peppers, and the last is one where you use peppers to make recipes. Each option is gone after one person takes it, which means you'll have to watch the turn order carefully.

It's on the lighter end and can be prone to AP with how many options there are for placing peppers and moving, but I've enjoyed it both times I played it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
"Shopping" is a really good word for that general spread of mechanics, actually. Looking back on it like that, that's definitely the hook for me, as well. It's fun to decide which card/room/tile/whatever is your best pick for the resources you have.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Something that makes buying power tiles in Kemet satisfying, and occasionally frustrating, is that with few exceptions most of the tiles are unique, which means that when you buy something you're the only one who gets to have it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That element is also what makes Mage Knight's drafting so fun, too. You're not exactly shopping (unless purchasing with influence) but you are usually keeping people from getting the only version of something when you pick it up.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really wish there was an active online Dominion community here, but iso being gone has killed it. I really do enjoy doing theory discussions about cards and strategies. Unfortunately even my IRL group has gotten tired of it, and I'm reduced to playing nearly exclusively against bots :/.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Splendor is basically a shopping mechanic without a game attached. I don't like it, but some people love it. Try before you buy, but I'll say you should check it out if you are into those mechanics.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Do auctions count as shopping? I'm thinking of Power Grid in particular, as opposed to Cyclades.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I dunno if it's quite the same but the technology board in Eclipse sort of has that feel, and as you progress down the various trees it makes concurrent techs in that branch cheaper. Then you get to add the new parts and trick out your ships which is always fun.

I also agree with Castles of Mad King Ludwig, the builder mechanic is pretty cool.

homullus posted:

Do auctions count as shopping? I'm thinking of Power Grid in particular, as opposed to Cyclades.

In the same vain I suppose Keyflower as well, as you're trying to buy the tiles you really want to add to your village for the best 'price' possible, while still producing the goods and stuff you need.

For more of a filler type, For Sale is a pretty good and quick auction game.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Castles of Burgundy has been one of my groups favorite games since we picked it up, and that game is all about the shopping.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I want to try out Fleet at some point, since that's a card game with auctions and maybe some meat on it's bones. And yeah, Keyflower and Cyclades probably qualify, too, although there is an element to auctions that makes them feel different than fixed cost games because I think they tend to be a little less enjoyable to newbies who can't accurately evaluate the worth of things yet. Even if that still applies to other fixed cost games, it's less immediately perceptible.

I also received my copy of Baseball Highlights 2045 ~DELUXE~ so I'll try that out and report back. Joel Eddy and Tom Lehman are pretty hyped on this game.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I also received my copy of Baseball Highlights 2045 ~DELUXE~ so I'll try that out and report back. Joel Eddy and Tom Lehman are pretty hyped on this game.

it's a really good and enjoyable deckbuilder and SPORTS game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

fozzy fosbourne posted:

My group realized last weekend that we really like Shopping as a mechanic in games. We like Dominion, we like buying the power tiles in Kemet, buying technologies in Eminent Domain, buying from the market in Suburbia, the items in between rounds of Arcadia Quest, etc. "Shopping" is kind of broad and could be used to describe a number of vaguely similar mechanics, but the shopping in these games is more appealing than in games where we draft from a pool that changes from turn to turn (7 Wonders, Agricola). Especially if drafting has an equal cost associated with each. Games where you "shop" from your own hand (Race, GtR) sort of fall somewhere in the middle.

Prosperity (not the Dominion expansion) is an interesting shopping game. You buy exclusive access to one of a number of city tiles, with new and better ones continually entering the market as "time passes", and the entrance also triggers scoring in one of five areas. You can pay through the nose for the best high technology, or invest in research and get it for cheap.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I want to try out Fleet at some point, since that's a card game with auctions and maybe some meat on it's bones.

I like Fleet, but I would try before you buy. It is relatively polarizing for a shorter game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

djfooboo posted:

I like Fleet, but I would try before you buy. It is relatively polarizing for a shorter game.

What do you think is polarizing about it? Is it pretty cutthroat, dry, interactive, political, or otherwise ~triggery~?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you think is polarizing about it? Is it pretty cutthroat, dry, interactive, political, or otherwise ~triggery~?

It's a broken game that some people haven't realised is broken yet. We played it a few times, but since we realised that whoever gets the Processing Vessels wins every time it hasn't even been brought to game night.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Packet Row is a good game for your group to check out if you like shopping. The game is a commodities trading and asset acquisition game, which centres around four markets. The active player leads the table in visiting the four markets in the order of their own choosing, with the other players getting to buy their goods first or passing and allowing other players to buy. It means that the lead player is trying to fake out the others as to what they want to buy (or what is the optimal buy for the turn), so that they are the only player left eligible when the party arrives at the market with the card they want. Even better, once the active player buys a card, the turn is over, whether the other players have bought yet or not. It's a neat, short game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

It's a broken game that some people haven't realised is broken yet. We played it a few times, but since we realised that whoever gets the Processing Vessels wins every time it hasn't even been brought to game night.
This seems to hold water, but I'd also like to hear from someone who doesn't have a record of misreading or forgetting rules.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there any good games that would play well outside? I've got a patio table and chairs, so the only thing I'm worried about is wind. A card heavy game like Dominion is right out, but I'm not sure how a bunch of little wood meeples would react to being in the wind.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wooden meeples are usually hefty enough that it would take quite a gust to actually blow them around. If it's just an occasional breeze then things should be fine.

You could test it out by setting up a game inside and then pointing a fan at the board or something.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any good games that would play well outside? I've got a patio table and chairs, so the only thing I'm worried about is wind. A card heavy game like Dominion is right out, but I'm not sure how a bunch of little wood meeples would react to being in the wind.

Hanabi Deluxe and Hive

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FISHMANPET posted:

Cheeky Monkey would work, since it's all poker chips, although it's very quick and casual. Puzzle Strike also has no cards, and its little discs are pretty sturdy, and unlikely to blow around.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Cthulhu Wars could probably withstand a mild hurricane.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Cthulhu Wars could probably withstand a mild hurricane.

You'd probably be killed by the huge figures being blown about in the wind though

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Small World should work as well; everything is cardboard and should be somewhat able to resist wind. Roll for the Galaxy is another contender, as it too uses cardboard and dice that should be sturdy enough to resist wind.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Picking up Space Alert tomorrow :v:

Any advice for teaching, or is it a pretty good Vlaada tutorial?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

Don't skip stuff.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Pictomania. Believe the hype :stare:

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

Played Pictomania. Believe the hype :stare:

It's soooo good. I haven't laughed that hard in years.

:allears: Vlaada :allears:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

taser rates posted:

Haha yea, fair point. I was thinking token usage specifically, which is technically true even with coin tokens I think. Tomorrow's preview should be about tokens though, so I guess we'll see what those are about.

The tokens actually come in multiple player colors, and a lot of the Events manipulate these tokens. "Place your X token on a Kingdom Pile. If you play this card, you also gain +1 Action." Etc. Some of them are loving insane.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's a really good tutorial! I'd recommend watching the UFBRT video so you have a general idea of how the game works, but don't use it as a replacement for the tutorial obviously.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Hmm, yeah that sounds no good. There's a thread about that on bgg and some people suggest it can be countered by bidding the price up really aggressively, which from a naive perspective sounds like it would work as negative feedback. But then again a lot of people on bgg still argue that A Few Acres of Snow doesn't suffer from a strategic collapse and are probably just bad at games.

E: thread mentioned https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/873140/what-am-i-missing-when-1-player-has-no-processing

E: also my pictomania is stuck with my catacombs preorder :(

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 3, 2015

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The tokens actually come in multiple player colors, and a lot of the Events manipulate these tokens. "Place your X token on a Kingdom Pile. If you play this card, you also gain +1 Action." Etc. Some of them are loving insane.

Haha holy poo poo, I can't wait.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/317p4m/james_ernest_ama/

James Ernest is on Reddit answering questions if anyone is interested.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

deadly_pudding posted:

The one thing that threw me off was at some point in the first or second tutorial it will tell you to play the soundtrack, then a bit after that tell you to go play the mission. At least for my group this was a bit of confusing wording since we thought the game was basicaly saying "here's what you need to know, go have fun" when what they're trying to do is let you hear all the things the computer says before you're actually in a timed situation and go "uh wait what do we do now?"

Other than that it explains itself well and hopefully your group gets a good laugh out of failure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Dude who designed Power Grid posted:

Yes! It's only one game I want to play 504 times.

The challenge: My design of a modular game building game that creates 504 different games out of one box.

There are 9 different modules (game systems) and I take 3 of them, put them in the order I like to build a new game out of this situation. So I have 9 different choices for the first position, 8 remaining for the second spot and last but not least 7 for the third spot. This generates 9x8x7 = 504 different games.

The first spot is responsible for the main game, victory points, game end condition. The second module takes card of the economy - the idea how money will be earned in the game. The third module is more or less flavor.

The game "504" will be published for Essen 2015. Now I played 144 of the 504 games. 144 = 2 times 72. 72 is the number of possible combinations for the first two modules (9x8). So now I have seen each of these combinations 2 times. Each time with another flavor choice (3rd spot).

Still a lot work to do, but it all works fine by now, only minor changes to be made, so I'm sure it will be ready for October.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/189492/my-1-x-504-challenge

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh yeah pretty sure I know someone who has helped playtest that, at the gathering. Sounded batshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
What the gently caress