Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A&E, Lifetime, History Channel and H2 went live on Sling.

Although it's kinda funny since it looks like Criminal Minds on A&E is blacked out. "Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Call Me Charlie posted:

A&E, Lifetime, History Channel and H2 went live on Sling.

Although it's kinda funny since it looks like Criminal Minds on A&E is blacked out. "Due to rights restrictions, this content cannot be streamed on Sling TV."

That error pops up randomly on Sling on Roku, I've found. It happened to me right before Better Call Saul this week and I had to relaunch the app 3 times before it worked.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

On a somewhat different note, my HD antenna arrived and I am new to HD antennas. Certain channels are coming in great, crystal-clear, and other channels which I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get are not coming in at all. Do I need to move it, or what? My list of possible places I could put it is pretty small since I live in an apartment and can't snake cords through the walls or anything.

e: to clarify these are channels that according to a broadcast map I checked should be coming in loud and clear

loquacius fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

See if your tv menus have an antenna signal meter somewhere

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Reaim it. Also are you using an amp?

Seriously though. Rotate it, tilt it, try everything

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

loquacius posted:

On a somewhat different note, my HD antenna arrived and I am new to HD antennas. Certain channels are coming in great, crystal-clear, and other channels which I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to get are not coming in at all. Do I need to move it, or what? My list of possible places I could put it is pretty small since I live in an apartment and can't snake cords through the walls or anything.

e: to clarify these are channels that according to a broadcast map I checked should be coming in loud and clear

are they vhf or uhf channels?

Don Lapre posted:

Reaim it. Also are you using an amp?

Seriously though. Rotate it, tilt it, try everything

also this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The two I distinctly remember receiving are listed as UHF, but at least one of the ones I wasn't getting is too.

Didn't know antenna amps were a thing, though. Looking into that, thanks :tipshat:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You need to find out What stations you are trying to get and if they are VHF or UHF. Also where they are physically relative to your home.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Also remember that antenna amps also amplify static.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yea I really was wondering if he hasn't plugged it in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The one I'm using claims to have an amplifier built in (which would explain why it needed to be plugged into power), so getting another one probably wouldn't help :sigh:

Also as far as I can tell all of the channels I am particularly interested in receiving, some of which I already am and some of which I am not, are UHF. One of the ones I'm not getting is located like three blocks away from one of the ones I am getting. A couple other ones I'm not getting but would like to get are closer, but in a different direction. Considering getting one of the type of antenna that doesn't look like a big ugly square which I could more easily reaim without the added constraint of needing to stick it to a window -- thoughts on those?

Don Lapre posted:

Yea I really was wondering if he hasn't plugged it in

uh

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 30, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's a weird one.

quote:

Sling TV and HBO today announced that Sling TV will be the first live Internet TV service to offer linear and Video-On-Demand (VOD) content from HBO. HBO will be available in time for the “Game of Thrones” and “Silicon Valley” season premieres on April 12. Sling TV with HBO will be available on all devices supported by Sling TV including: Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick; current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models; Xbox One; Android and iOS devices; and Macs and PCs.

HBO will be available for $15 per month when customers sign up for the “Best of Live TV” core package. The new offering includes one live channel and the same extensive VOD library HBO provides on its other platforms. Each month, HBO offers more of the biggest and latest Hollywood hit movies, original HBO Films, groundbreaking documentaries, sports, and comedy and music specials.

http://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sling-tv-to-launch-hbo-in-time-for-game-of-thrones-premiere/

I thought Showtime would be next.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The only thing SlingTV needs now is to add the ability to watch multiple streams, either through generously doing so or by having a per stream charge. I'd consider moving over to it if I could do so on my 2 TVs.

Does it have DVR capabilities? (pausing, skipping forward afterward, etc)

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

It's $15 extra, right? They worded that strange so it seems like it's included in the Best of Live TV package.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yes, which is interesting as AppleTV has now lost its exclusivity ahead of aGoT which it was touting.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Well Engadget says it's not HBO Now, it's a live stream of HBO, but also with VOD. So Apple still has its HBO Now exclusive.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

The only thing SlingTV needs now is to add the ability to watch multiple streams, either through generously doing so or by having a per stream charge. I'd consider moving over to it if I could do so on my 2 TVs.

Does it have DVR capabilities? (pausing, skipping forward afterward, etc)

Yeah, I'm hoping they add the ability to add additional streams for $5. Being able to split the cost with a friend would make it more attractive.

It depends on the channel. Cartoon Network has no VOD content and no ability to time shift the live stream. AMC has limited VOD (currently Better Call Saul - 2 episodes, Comic Book Men - 2 episodes, The Walking Dead - 4 episodes), no ability to time shift the live stream but you can time shift the VOD content. El Rey has a large VOD library and the ability to time shift most of the live stream.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Well Engadget says it's not HBO Now, it's a live stream of HBO, but also with VOD. So Apple still has its HBO Now exclusive.

I wonder if that means Sling people will get access to HBO GO like they do with WatchESPN.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping they add the ability to add additional streams for $5. Being able to split the cost with a friend would make it more attractive.

It depends on the channel. Cartoon Network has no VOD content and no ability to time shift the live stream. AMC has limited VOD (currently Better Call Saul - 2 episodes, Comic Book Men - 2 episodes, The Walking Dead - 4 episodes), no ability to time shift the live stream but you can time shift the VOD content. El Rey has a large VOD library and the ability to time shift most of the live stream.

I wonder if that means Sling people will get access to HBO GO like they do with WatchESPN.

Timeshifting live stream would really be the only use case that I would demand in order to sign up. I can manage 'DVR-ing' on my own with Sickbeard but would really like to be able to watch TWD or BCS live and take a leak or put my kid back in his room 12 times an hour while I try to watch TV.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Well that solves one of my problems :toot:

e: Also if I were Apple I'd be pretty pissed at HBO over this. Exclusivity doesn't mean terribly much when you just sell their competitors the same thing under a different name.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 1, 2015

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress. I just got an Apple TV because of the exclusive. Is HBO Now not live?

It is a nice device and the video quality is quite good from itunes and I'll keep it, but gently caress, man.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Aeka 2.0 posted:

gently caress. I just got an Apple TV because of the exclusive. Is HBO Now not live?

It is a nice device and the video quality is quite good from itunes and I'll keep it, but gently caress, man.

Nobody knows, but my guess is it works just like HBO Go where someone flips a switch and publishes the episode, and then you can watch it on demand whenever, including exactly at 10pm or such.

It's apparently the MLB tech guys doing it though, so they certainly know how to run a live broadcast if they wanted.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Would that be 10pm local or EST? Because if it is local, I may as well just pirate, even though I've got HBO on Dish, it looks like poo poo, so does GO, the ripped stuff always looks better. This shouldn't be an issue in 20 loving 15.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's what I can find about HBO Now wrt live stuff:

"The service won’t offer live TV, but an HBO spokesperson said that programming will be scheduled to appear on HBO Now when it premieres on HBO, and live events will typically come to HBO Now within 24 hours." So it's technically not a live stream similar to what many channels are doing now. It sounds like, for example, when the new GOT comes on Sunday at 10pm or whatever, someone flips the switch that makes it available on HBO Now. Live stuff would be things like boxing.

As for the difference between HBO GO, HBO Now, and what Sling is doing, here's what I can figure out.

-HBO GO: REQUIRES authentication with a cable/satellite provider.

-HBO Now: Totally standalone. Right now, only on Apple poo poo.

-Sling TV thing: Live stream and VOD. Standalone, but it's an add-on on top of the base Sling package, so it's 20+15.

So for cord cutters, it all depends on what devices you have and what you want to pay.

Aeka: As for your video quality issues, what's your connection speeds? I use HBO GO on my computers and ATV all the time, and it looks fantastic. I wonder if it's something with your ISP.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The thing that's goofy about HBO, Encore, Starz and a lot of those movie channels is that they're not even broadcasting the movies in the right aspect ratio (they have the top, bottom, right and left chopped off a lot to fill up the whole screen). I wonder if HBO Now will be any different.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

"The service won’t offer live TV, but an HBO spokesperson said that programming will be scheduled to appear on HBO Now when it premieres on HBO, and live events will typically come to HBO Now within 24 hours." So it's technically not a live stream similar to what many channels are doing now. It sounds like, for example, when the new GOT comes on Sunday at 10pm or whatever, someone flips the switch that makes it available on HBO Now. Live stuff would be things like boxing.

As for the difference between HBO GO, HBO Now, and what Sling is doing, here's what I can figure out.

-Sling TV thing: Live stream and VOD. Standalone, but it's an add-on on top of the base Sling package, so it's 20+15.

So for cord cutters, it all depends on what devices you have and what you want to pay.

Aeka: As for your video quality issues, what's your connection speeds? I use HBO GO on my computers and ATV all the time, and it looks fantastic. I wonder if it's something with your ISP.

100mbs and it is rock solid. I'm just very picky with content as I have a 135" projector screen. Stuff like Netflix looks fine for comparison.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I'm offically cutting cable tomorrow. My xbox one is setup to basically do everything now after Sling.

I am keeping my internet with TWC though, is it possible to just directly connect the extra coax to my tv and still get channels or is twc encrypting everything?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nerdrum posted:

I am keeping my internet with TWC though, is it possible to just directly connect the extra coax to my tv and still get channels or is twc encrypting everything?

I think it's a YMMV thing. Just try it. At best, free TV, at worst, what you've got now.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's a YMMV thing. Just try it. At best, free TV, at worst, what you've got now.

The true worst case is they detect it and bill you a year later.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

The true worst case is they detect it and bill you a year later.

Can actually detect just a coax going into a TV? Wouldn't it be on them for not putting a filter on the line.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can actually detect just a coax going into a TV? Wouldn't it be on them for not putting a filter on the line.

No and yes. Also they are encrypting everything so enjoy it while it lasts :v:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

No and yes. Also they are encrypting everything so enjoy it while it lasts :v:

Stuff like this is what keeps me working, I got 500+ rooms that have coax to television.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Zogo posted:

The thing that's goofy about HBO, Encore, Starz and a lot of those movie channels is that they're not even broadcasting the movies in the right aspect ratio (they have the top, bottom, right and left chopped off a lot to fill up the whole screen). I wonder if HBO Now will be any different.

My money is on your cable provider doing this, not the broadcaster.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

PuTTY riot posted:

My money is on your cable provider doing this, not the broadcaster.

the broadcaster does this. TCM and MGMHD are the only movie channels that stick to the correct aspect ratio. only occasionally will the other channels not crop 2.35:1 movie down to 16x9.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think you can also buy HBO Now with cablevision internet-only. Sling might have gotten in on HBO because they're very much a cable TV model for the Internet. Maybe PS vue can do the same thing.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have HBO go through a comcast bundle in my area ($75 for ESPN Now, HBO Go and some other nonsense) plus internet. Its pretty sweet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Has anyone had experience with Dish internet? I can't help but notice that as advertised it is considerably cheaper than Comcast and probably a good deal less evil too

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Isn't HBO $10 a month with cable why would I pay $15?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

It's $20 on fios.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

If you don't already have cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

Has anyone had experience with Dish internet? I can't help but notice that as advertised it is considerably cheaper than Comcast and probably a good deal less evil too

You mean their satellite based Internet? If you enjoy high prices, slow speeds, and ridiculously small quotas, than its the perfect ISP for you!