Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EBgames has now been down for 2 hours

I gotta wonder why they even bother, how much can they possibly be making on each Amiibo sale at $13 each or whatever it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Vintersorg posted:

what? mega man character for mario kart??

just a suit, but it's something

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PleasingFungus posted:

you can enjoy a game while still admitting it's kinda p2w. my strategy is to be bad enough to not have to play against the gold-covered legendary krew, and also, playing as much arena as possible

i really hate arena, but i also know im never gonna hit legend. ive played the game enough and spent some money so i have a not-awful collection, though. still wish i had doctor boom

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PleasingFungus posted:

you can enjoy a game while still admitting it's kinda p2w. my strategy is to be bad enough to not have to play against the gold-covered legendary krew, and also, playing as much arena as possible

agreed. i play a shitload of hearthstone but the game is really p2w and there is zero chance i'd start playing it now. i only enjoy it because i've been at it since the beginning so my collection is decent even though i didn't spend a lot of cash on it. as of today, the barrier of entry for a new player is basically two required expansions which cost $25 each, and then you still need to either pay or grind for boosters. it's just a joke

also i am p. good at arena which i feel is necessary if you want to enjoy the game without spending literal hundos on cards

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
is that the reason i keep getting demolished by people who are theoretically at my "level"?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

my wizard in PoE isnt doin it for me. maybe i'll try a barbarian.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

saucepanman posted:

is that the reason i keep getting demolished by people who are theoretically at my "level"?

the problem is that the ladder resets every month and there is just one huge ladder (no divisions or anything), which means that you will run into top players in poo poo ranks constantly, either because the month just began or they just didn't feel like laddering yet and are still stuck in wood league on the 23rd of the month. constructed is abysmal

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

univbee posted:

EBgames has now been down for 2 hours

I gotta wonder why they even bother, how much can they possibly be making on each Amiibo sale at $13 each or whatever it is?

The new consoles are arriving soon, with Microsoft and Sony competing for the success of their latest consoles, which should be out sometime in or around November. Normally I wouldn't write something like this, but there are some pretty important things at stake with this particular battle that could change for worse the way future media is distributed. You may have heard it discussed on the news, but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around that I'm going to attempt to set straight.

The short version is that if you want to buy one of the next generation consoles, I implore you to go with the Sony PlayStation 4. The good news is that this system will be $100 cheaper ($400) than Microsoft's Xbox One ($500), so we're already off to an excellent start. Neither unit is backwards compatible with its predecessor, so even if you have a lot of Xbox 360 games you can keep that console and start fresh with a PS4; you'd be starting fresh with an Xbox One anyway.

The main difference is that Microsoft is looking to permanently change how media ownership works. Basically, if you buy a game you are more or less stuck with it, with very few avenues to sell it, exchange it, or give it away. Every game comes with a unique serial number, or product key code. You're probably familiar with how these work if you've ever installed Microsoft Office or a paid Adobe product like Photoshop. These must be registered to your account before you can start playing the game. Once registered, transfers have to go through Microsoft. A license can be given away once to one of your friends; they can't intern give the game to someone else or give it back to you, they are then stuck with it forever. Trading in games at stores will only be possible at stores that have a service agreement with Microsoft and a computer system allowing them to manage licenses, which will cut off smaller stores and likely be limited to larger outfits like EB Games and Future Shop. This will also not be possible initially when the system comes out, and a publisher can disable all of these functions; first buyer is the only allowed user.

In order to manage these licenses, the console itself will require a persistent high-speed internet connection. If the Xbox One is unable to communicate with Microsoft's online license servers for longer than 24 hours, ALL games will be automatically disabled until the connection is re-established. The system will be locked down to 21 countries initially, with some fairly important markets missing, including all of Africa, Asia, as well as Japan, a country so video game crazy that Space Invaders' 1978 caused a coin shortage in the entire country. All games will have to be purchased in your home country and the system can only be used in your home country (this likely means no travel between Canada and the U.S. with it). When Microsoft was challenged with what that meant for soldiers stationed overseas on R&R time, or in the Navy on a connection-less submarine, Microsoft's answer was a smug "We have a system for [you], it's called the Xbox 360 [the system they released 7 years ago]". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...alled-xbox-360/)

All Xbox One consoles come with a Kinect, a camera that must be connected and pointed at your couch for the system to work. Microsoft took out a patent that leverages the technology to limit the number of people in your living room for pay per view events and the like. If your world cup party has too many people, it will either disable the signal or bill you, and the amount billed could be huge (like what sports bars pay). You can view the patent here: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=DN/20120278904

Finally, it's likely that in the future, when the Xbox One's successor is released, Microsoft will take down the activation servers, once they've decided that they're no longer cost-effective to keep up and running. They've already done exactly this for their first Xbox, a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. (http://www.itworld.com/personal-tec...inal-xbox-games) These blatant money-grabbing anti-consumer tactics are in sharp contrast to Sony's, a region-free console that uses traditional discs. If you want to trade a game, all that has to happen is for the disc to change hands. That's all, the end. (A video demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA)

If you're wondering what happened with the Xbox 360's success, well, the short version is that Microsoft got lucky because Sony screwed up the PlayStation 3's launch. While it had a subscription fee, Microsoft's multiplayer services were unprecedented since the original Xbox's 2002 launch, and the PS3's version of the service, while free, was lacking in a lot of areas, especially since the Xbox and Xbox 360 simply had more people playing them (which is very important for multiplayer). Coming off the runaway success of PlayStations 1 and 2, Sony launched their system a year late at an incredibly high price point ($500-$600), mainly in an attempt to get Blu-ray into as many homes as possible to defeat the then-contender HD-DVD. While Blu-ray eventually won that war, it cost them some success in the video game world, which took an especially hard hit when their servers were compromised and many of their online services were disabled for several weeks. Sony did an amazing thing by pretty much admitting that they screwed up and were doing everything possible to make it right, which is unheard of for a corporation, especially one based in the notoriously face-saving Japanese culture (you can view their apology here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u8W784FTkw). Their services have improved by leaps and bounds, and they have caught up nicely. The Xbox 360 was only really successful in the U.S. and Canada, with many of its benefits being U.S.-only, something they don't appear to have learned from this time around. Their first units also had a failure rate so high that a class action was eventually leveraged against Microsoft for the design flaw.

Coupled with Windows 8, it's clear to me that Microsoft is management culture gone berserk, with the decision makers insulated by yes men and who think they can impose their will on the public, which you can also see with Windows 8 as they tried to impose their app store onto everyone (they wanted their cut the same way Apple gets theirs). I'll be sticking to Windows 7 outside of work, and my next laptop when the time comes will, despite the high cost, likely be a Mac.

If you have any questions about anything I've said, or any other computer/video game questions, let me know. Thank you!

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Squeezy Farm posted:

The new consoles are arriving soon, with Microsoft and Sony competing for the success of their latest consoles, which should be out sometime in or around November. Normally I wouldn't write something like this, but there are some pretty important things at stake with this particular battle that could change for worse the way future media is distributed. You may have heard it discussed on the news, but there's been a lot of misinformation floating around that I'm going to attempt to set straight.

The short version is that if you want to buy one of the next generation consoles, I implore you to go with the Sony PlayStation 4. The good news is that this system will be $100 cheaper ($400) than Microsoft's Xbox One ($500), so we're already off to an excellent start. Neither unit is backwards compatible with its predecessor, so even if you have a lot of Xbox 360 games you can keep that console and start fresh with a PS4; you'd be starting fresh with an Xbox One anyway.

The main difference is that Microsoft is looking to permanently change how media ownership works. Basically, if you buy a game you are more or less stuck with it, with very few avenues to sell it, exchange it, or give it away. Every game comes with a unique serial number, or product key code. You're probably familiar with how these work if you've ever installed Microsoft Office or a paid Adobe product like Photoshop. These must be registered to your account before you can start playing the game. Once registered, transfers have to go through Microsoft. A license can be given away once to one of your friends; they can't intern give the game to someone else or give it back to you, they are then stuck with it forever. Trading in games at stores will only be possible at stores that have a service agreement with Microsoft and a computer system allowing them to manage licenses, which will cut off smaller stores and likely be limited to larger outfits like EB Games and Future Shop. This will also not be possible initially when the system comes out, and a publisher can disable all of these functions; first buyer is the only allowed user.

In order to manage these licenses, the console itself will require a persistent high-speed internet connection. If the Xbox One is unable to communicate with Microsoft's online license servers for longer than 24 hours, ALL games will be automatically disabled until the connection is re-established. The system will be locked down to 21 countries initially, with some fairly important markets missing, including all of Africa, Asia, as well as Japan, a country so video game crazy that Space Invaders' 1978 caused a coin shortage in the entire country. All games will have to be purchased in your home country and the system can only be used in your home country (this likely means no travel between Canada and the U.S. with it). When Microsoft was challenged with what that meant for soldiers stationed overseas on R&R time, or in the Navy on a connection-less submarine, Microsoft's answer was a smug "We have a system for [you], it's called the Xbox 360 [the system they released 7 years ago]". (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...alled-xbox-360/)

All Xbox One consoles come with a Kinect, a camera that must be connected and pointed at your couch for the system to work. Microsoft took out a patent that leverages the technology to limit the number of people in your living room for pay per view events and the like. If your world cup party has too many people, it will either disable the signal or bill you, and the amount billed could be huge (like what sports bars pay). You can view the patent here: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...=DN/20120278904

Finally, it's likely that in the future, when the Xbox One's successor is released, Microsoft will take down the activation servers, once they've decided that they're no longer cost-effective to keep up and running. They've already done exactly this for their first Xbox, a few years after the Xbox 360 was released. (http://www.itworld.com/personal-tec...inal-xbox-games) These blatant money-grabbing anti-consumer tactics are in sharp contrast to Sony's, a region-free console that uses traditional discs. If you want to trade a game, all that has to happen is for the disc to change hands. That's all, the end. (A video demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA)

If you're wondering what happened with the Xbox 360's success, well, the short version is that Microsoft got lucky because Sony screwed up the PlayStation 3's launch. While it had a subscription fee, Microsoft's multiplayer services were unprecedented since the original Xbox's 2002 launch, and the PS3's version of the service, while free, was lacking in a lot of areas, especially since the Xbox and Xbox 360 simply had more people playing them (which is very important for multiplayer). Coming off the runaway success of PlayStations 1 and 2, Sony launched their system a year late at an incredibly high price point ($500-$600), mainly in an attempt to get Blu-ray into as many homes as possible to defeat the then-contender HD-DVD. While Blu-ray eventually won that war, it cost them some success in the video game world, which took an especially hard hit when their servers were compromised and many of their online services were disabled for several weeks. Sony did an amazing thing by pretty much admitting that they screwed up and were doing everything possible to make it right, which is unheard of for a corporation, especially one based in the notoriously face-saving Japanese culture (you can view their apology here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u8W784FTkw). Their services have improved by leaps and bounds, and they have caught up nicely. The Xbox 360 was only really successful in the U.S. and Canada, with many of its benefits being U.S.-only, something they don't appear to have learned from this time around. Their first units also had a failure rate so high that a class action was eventually leveraged against Microsoft for the design flaw.

Coupled with Windows 8, it's clear to me that Microsoft is management culture gone berserk, with the decision makers insulated by yes men and who think they can impose their will on the public, which you can also see with Windows 8 as they tried to impose their app store onto everyone (they wanted their cut the same way Apple gets theirs). I'll be sticking to Windows 7 outside of work, and my next laptop when the time comes will, despite the high cost, likely be a Mac.

If you have any questions about anything I've said, or any other computer/video game questions, let me know. Thank you!

same

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i want animal crossing but club nintendo is down :(

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Due to very strong demand for the newest wave of Nintendo’s amiibo figures, GameStop is experiencing some technical issues with our website.

At this time, we are accepting pre-orders of amiibo in stores only while we resolve these issues.

We are working aggressively to resolve the technical issues as quickly as possible and expect it to be back online shortly.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

!!!

nintendo is going to allow binding of isaac on 3ds/wiiu

completely unedited

#wow #whoa

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

well they published ghost rape so

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

!!!

completely unedited

#wow #whoa

no voices from dog? :smith:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wish I had have bought Dirt 3 one of the many times it was $5 because they upgraded everyone who owns it for free.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deviant posted:

Wizard is good for aoe status spells and they nerfed his most useful one in the latest patch haha.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish I had have bought Dirt 3 one of the many times it was $5 because they upgraded everyone who owns it for free.

Its not as good as Dirt 2 though

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!
i'm glad that wizards in poe don't need five minutes and a dozen protection spells to be useful, and that they have casts shared between spells of the same level instead of per spell.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Its not as good as Dirt 2 though

I never played that one, but I like dirt 3 well enough.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Knuc U Kinte posted:

it took loving forever but now I finally have the DLC and for free

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Enjoying the gnashing of teeth form people who have poured $$$s into Star Citizen seeing Elite:Dangerous appearing on Steam... Now E:D is still wide and shallow and being worked on, but as far as I can see SC is a Derek Smart game for the new millennium :o:

Also this article:

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it took loving forever but now I finally have the DLC and for free

who are U on Steam Dusty?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
how do I get a steam key for elite

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
very carefully

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

who are U on Steam Dusty?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/freakishspleen/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i sent you a friend request. please be my internet friend. p-please

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blackula69 posted:

You mean if you already bought it? I'm wondering that too. Hopefully they will sort something out.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

https://www.google.com

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Pinterest Mom posted:

!!!

completely unedited

#wow #whoa

on new 3ds for "performance reasons"

because they didn't learn their goddamn optimization lesson after making the first with actionscript 2 (no, that's not a typo)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You mean if you already bought it? I'm wondering that too. Hopefully they will sort something out.

they've said that they aren't planning on giving out keys "because the two versions are exactly the same" (which is dumb dumb dumb) but they've also said that they're listening to feedback regarding this so expect to get one in a week or two

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Enjoying the gnashing of teeth form people who have poured $$$s into Star Citizen seeing Elite:Dangerous appearing on Steam... Now E:D is still wide and shallow and being worked on, but as far as I can see SC is a Derek Smart game for the new millennium :o:

Also this article:

can't wait for this poo poo to get legislated into oblivion

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Katana Gomai posted:

the problem is that the ladder resets every month and there is just one huge ladder (no divisions or anything), which means that you will run into top players in poo poo ranks constantly, either because the month just began or they just didn't feel like laddering yet and are still stuck in wood league on the 23rd of the month. constructed is abysmal

unless you have good decks, just play casual for your constructed needs. maybe hit rank 20 each month if you care about cardbacks

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

c poe s:

this quest to rescue a noble woman in dyrford sure got :stare: in a hurry

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

god drat it

squeenix redesigned that gay af final fantasy character

I'm the :negative: in the background.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deviant posted:

Be a Cipher, Rogue or Fighter. Barbarians are glass-cannon-ish in the early stages.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 353 days!

Notorious QIG posted:

c poe s:

this quest to rescue a noble woman in dyrford sure got :stare: in a hurry

you're not wrong

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
can confirm that new hearthstone legendary card is absurd

even worse than the new hunter card

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also this article:

Derek Smart

Derek Smart

DEREK SMART

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao that Derek Smart has been at this for far longer and probably hasnt even seen a fraction of that kind of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

wesley snypes posted:

you're not wrong

im curious how many ways there are to finish that quest. for the record i wiped the souls from the girl's mind, killed the cultists, sent her away to a temple to be protected by the priests, and killed the nobleman

man what a great quest that was :allears:

• Locked thread