Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Morn: Origins

Really now, who isn't going to watch this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tighclops posted:

If these movies and shows were being made today there would be all kinds of intra-brand synergy or whatever the gently caress like what Marvel is doing and we'd all be lamenting why DS9 and TNG can't just stand on their own instead of being used to set up the Ensign Sito Jaxa film trilogy and Morn: Origins

The TNG movies pretty much failed to get any non-Trek fans interested in Trek, whereas the Marvel movies have gotten a whole shitload of non-comic book fans (including yours truly) interested in Marvel movies, mostly because they are entertaining and do not make me wish I had the last two hours of my life back. Heck, I saw Guardians of the Galaxy twice, it was that much fun.

Morn: Origins culminates in the Bank of Bolias heist

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I personally don't like Ryan Reynolds being cast as Quark in Morn: Origins: Fourth Stomach. It's disrespectful not just to Armin's original portrayal, but also to Peter Dinklage's in the previous film.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeez, thank you. I was starting to wonder whether I was the only person on earth who can't deal with all these superhero mishmash movies with random characters from dozens of different properties all thrown into a salad bowl and tossed from reboot to reboot every two years to rave reviews.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair Marvel's been fairly coherent and not rebooty. Hulk aside. And they only salad bowl for the Avenger ones.

Sony and Fox suck.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 2, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Jeez, thank you. I was starting to wonder whether I was the only person on earth who can't deal with all these superhero mishmash movies with random characters from dozens of different properties all thrown into a salad bowl and tossed from reboot to reboot every two years to rave reviews.

If you're referring to the three phase Avengers deal that Disney/Marvel is doing then you cray because linking that much good movie together is amazing and different.

If you're talking about pointless Ghostbusters reboot when a sequel would have been better, followed by a misogynistic hate-reboot of the reboot that hasn't even happened yet, then yes it's really stupid.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

"There's an old Vulcan proverb. Only Nixon could go to China."

That is some quality beard.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tighclops posted:

If these movies and shows were being made today there would be all kinds of intra-brand synergy or whatever the gently caress like what Marvel is doing and we'd all be lamenting why DS9 and TNG can't just stand on their own instead of being used to set up the Ensign Sito Jaxa film trilogy and Morn: Origins

Well, if you want to get pedantic, Marvel figured out in the 90s (I think) that they can't do crossovers that require you to purchase every book Marvel prints just to know whats going on, so now they'll have the main crossover event book that can be understood by itself and all the regular comic lines are just side stories that fill in the gaps. The Marvel movies mostly work the same way in that you don't really need to watch Captain America to enjoy Avengers. What is that glowing blue box? Who cares, it has powers and the bad guys want it. Why does Tony Stark have PTSD in Iron Man 3? Because something involving aliens happened in Avengers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone seen Planet Earth? It's a pilot Gene Roddenberry made after Star Trek and it's the most hosed up thing. John Saxon leads a team including Lurch from the Adams Family to explore a post-apocalyptic Earth from some super-advanced San Francisco that uses the same shopping mall as Conquest of the Planet of the Apes for location shooting. The premise seems like Star Trek, except that they drive a super-advanced train around in old subway tunnels and visit different post-apocalyptic cities instead of planets. In this one, they visit a city of dominatrixes led by Diana Muldaur, Dr. Pulaski from TNG, and John Saxon gets tied up and whipped a bunch before he gets Dr. Pulaski drunk and has sex with her to make her realize she was wrong to want to enslave all men. There are lot of weird, long scenes of giggling women ripping off John Saxon's clothes and shoving him around, and way too many establishing shots of shirtless men pulling plows. It looks like if it had gone to series, they would have visited a different one of Gene's sexual fetishes every week.

At one point, John Saxon philosophizes, "women's lib, or women's lib gone mad?" when faced with a city run by women. Then later he announces the necessity of men's lib before he rapes an unconscious Diana Muldaur. It's even more uncomfortable than this makes it sound.

Has anyone seen any of his other pilots, and are they this hosed up?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I personally don't like Ryan Reynolds being cast as Quark in Morn: Origins: Fourth Stomach. It's disrespectful not just to Armin's original portrayal, but also to Peter Dinklage's in the previous film.

I think you are mistaken, Peter Dinklage played Nog.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Jack Gladney posted:

Has anyone seen Planet Earth? It's a pilot Gene Roddenberry made after Star Trek and it's the most hosed up thing. John Saxon leads a team including Lurch from the Adams Family to explore a post-apocalyptic Earth from some super-advanced San Francisco that uses the same shopping mall as Conquest of the Planet of the Apes for location shooting. The premise seems like Star Trek, except that they drive a super-advanced train around in old subway tunnels and visit different post-apocalyptic cities instead of planets. In this one, they visit a city of dominatrixes led by Diana Muldaur, Dr. Pulaski from TNG, and John Saxon gets tied up and whipped a bunch before he gets Dr. Pulaski drunk and has sex with her to make her realize she was wrong to want to enslave all men. There are lot of weird, long scenes of giggling women ripping off John Saxon's clothes and shoving him around, and way too many establishing shots of shirtless men pulling plows. It looks like if it had gone to series, they would have visited a different one of Gene's sexual fetishes every week.

At one point, John Saxon philosophizes, "women's lib, or women's lib gone mad?" when faced with a city run by women. Then later he announces the necessity of men's lib before he rapes an unconscious Diana Muldaur. It's even more uncomfortable than this makes it sound.

Has anyone seen any of his other pilots, and are they this hosed up?
drat. What the hell. :psyduck: I definitely have not seen this or his other not-Star-Trek-pilots and to be honest I'm glad I haven't! I suppose we shouldn't be surprised Gene would make something like this...

On the topic of Gene being awful to women, one lady who definitely deserves more praise for the poo poo she's gone though from Gene is Grace Lee Whitney who just turned 85 yesterday. She was the very first Trek actress/actor I ever met at a con and she was by far the nicest when I got her signature. She probably writes "with love" for everyone when writing her signature but 12 year old me still thought it was super sweet of her :3:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trent posted:

If you're talking about pointless Ghostbusters reboot when a sequel would have been better

Of the original cast, one is dead (and hadn't done anything funny in more than a decade), one wants nothing whatsoever to do with another film, and another is pretty much legitimately batshit insane (and also wrote Blues Brothers 2000).

No, a sequel would not have been better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Of the original cast, one is dead (and hadn't done anything funny in more than a decade), one wants nothing whatsoever to do with another film, and another is pretty much legitimately batshit insane (and also wrote Blues Brothers 2000).

Sure it would. Ghosts come back, and their kids have to bust out the old gear - crazy young Venkman nerding out on psychic stuff her dad just used to get laid, Ms Stanz the lawyer argues to get them permission to fire up the old proton packs.....

Whatever, something in universe would have been fine - ghostbusters - The Next Generation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trent posted:

Sure it would. Ghosts come back, and their kids have to bust out the old gear - crazy young Venkman nerding out on psychic stuff her dad just used to get laid, Ms Stanz the lawyer argues to get them permission to fire up the old proton packs.....

Whatever, something in universe would have been fine - ghostbusters - The Next Generation

The Ghostbusters Kids? Is this a rejected Happy Meal toy concept from the 90s?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Reboots are legit better than crappy sequel ideas like that.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
People say Melora is a bad episode.

I think Meridian is so much worse. The dude was just so bland.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

I've never seen the second Blues Brothers movie. I've seen two song clips from it and thought I was watching either a really bad Talking Heads music video from 1982 ("Funky Nassau") or the all-star jam from the end of a particularly underwhelming Grammys show ("New Orleans").

The Commitments was a much better follow-up to The Blues Brothers, of course, not least because Miles O'Brien was in it. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

The only person in the cast who has done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years is Sigourney Weaver and she wants to do it almost as much as Bill Murray.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just watched The Thaw. The last couple of minutes picked up but it made Threshold look like In The Pale Moonlight or The Measure of a Man.

Holy poo poo that was worse than the last episode of TNG S2. :staredog: I feel like a 'Nam vet.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The real Ghostbusters sequel was the videogame anyway. (And it was not terrible, just overcomplicated. [that is not to say it was a good game, just that I had fun playing it.])

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

HIJK posted:

The real Ghostbusters sequel was the videogame anyway. (And it was not terrible, just overcomplicated. [that is not to say it was a good game, just that I had fun playing it.])

Was this the Commodore 64 game? :allears:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HIJK posted:

It was a fun "hey remember this part from the movies? Now you're busting that ghost!" game until the GODDAMN END WITH THE GODDAMN CHERRUBS THAT YOU HAVE TO GODDAMN TETHER TO THE GODDAMN GATE AND IF YOU DIE IT"S A FIVE loving MINUTE RELOAD OF THE LEVEL :argh: :bang:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mister Adequate posted:

Just watched The Thaw. The last couple of minutes picked up but it made Threshold look like In The Pale Moonlight or The Measure of a Man.

Holy poo poo that was worse than the last episode of TNG S2. :staredog: I feel like a 'Nam vet.

Dude, that's what I've been saying.

Just put your head down, shoulder your way through the rest of season 2, and you'll be fine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

The only person in the cast who has done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years is Sigourney Weaver and she wants to do it almost as much as Bill Murray.

Hey, Ernie Hudson's been landing character roles pretty steadily. I don't know how he feels about doing Ghostbusters again but I imagine he wouldn't say no to a fat paycheck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mogomra posted:

Dude, that's what I've been saying.

Just put your head down, shoulder your way through the rest of season 2, and you'll be fine.

Yes, because by the time you do that you'll be so broken you won't realize how terrible Voyager is.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Ghostbusters Kids? Is this a rejected Happy Meal toy concept from the 90s?
You underestimate the 90's if you think it was rejected.

As a bonus the website is apparently still up, Space Jam style.
http://www.extremeghostbusters.org/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Hey man even EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS didn't have the starring characters being the literal offspring of the original cast all James Bond Jr style

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well if you want to get literal James Bond Jr. wasn't James Bond's offspring either. Unless maybe he was "Uncle James" in the sense that he was mommy's special friend.

Anyway, since apparently this piece of information doesn't exist anywhere on the Internet and I'm too lazy to hook up my scanner, here's a relevant slanty photograph of a page from The Art of Star Trek.

I've always wondered why Scotty didn't get a kid.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pfft, how ridiculous. The Federation would never send children into harm's way by filling their flagship up with them.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Hey man even EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS didn't have the starring characters being the literal offspring of the original cast all James Bond Jr style

James Bond Jnr was his nephew

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pakled posted:

Pfft, how ridiculous. The Federation would never send children into harm's way by filling their flagship up with them.

I guess I always assumed it was Picard's personal policy because if he was going to die in deep space, he was sure as gently caress going to take a few hundred snot-nosed little brats with him.

That's the only reason I can think of for putting children in the Stardrive section of the ship and expecting them to run fast enough in case of an emergency separation.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Well, the transporter combining the DNA of Neelix and Tuvok's clothes didn't make sense, but it was established back in TOS that "the transporter is magic and gently caress you don't ask questions".
And it looked loving cool.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Apple Jax posted:

On the topic of Gene being awful to women, one lady who definitely deserves more praise for the poo poo she's gone though from Gene is Grace Lee Whitney who just turned 85 yesterday. She was the very first Trek actress/actor I ever met at a con and she was by far the nicest when I got her signature. She probably writes "with love" for everyone when writing her signature but 12 year old me still thought it was super sweet of her :3:

If she's 85 now, that would make her about 36 or 37 for the first season of TOS? I would have guessed she was considerably younger, cuz in TOS she was a bombshell.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Knormal posted:

Well if you want to get literal James Bond Jr. wasn't James Bond's offspring either. Unless maybe he was "Uncle James" in the sense that he was mommy's special friend.

Defenders of the Earth did pretty much have the offspring around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLKzsynt5I

And it was awesome.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Number_6 posted:

If she's 85 now, that would make her about 36 or 37 for the first season of TOS? I would have guessed she was considerably younger, cuz in TOS she was a bombshell.

Wow, way to objectify, Number_6

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It'd be easy to make suck, but it could be a good movie, Mister No Imagination :mad:

It would probably suck, though, and so probably will the actual reboot

Maybe we can get Michelle Rodriguez to ride a motorcycle with a bunch of slimers flanking her!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Knormal posted:

Anyway, since apparently this piece of information doesn't exist anywhere on the Internet and I'm too lazy to hook up my scanner, here's a relevant slanty photograph of a page from The Art of Star Trek.

I've always wondered why Scotty didn't get a kid.
Spoilers: Those are all actually Kirk's kids

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Trent posted:

gently caress the haters, that's a much more interesting concept than a reboot. The adult children of three guys who were lauded then vilified for saving the city from a giant marshmallow man and defacing an American icon would be thematically resonant as gently caress. They'd have to struggle with questions of whether or not to believe their dads' (or grandpas') old yarns. They'd have a mixture of embarrassment and admiration that they never really resolved in childhood and have been burying.

Maybe Bill Murray's kids think they're hot poo poo and don't want to hang with everyone else's because their dads had a really bad falling out. It'll get the fans to wet themselves with the continuity, but it's an entirely new relationship, so you can show every contour of it without being boring and recycled. This thing writes itself.

Obligatory "What Aykroyd's Really Up To and It's Fantastic":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKqjIv91Zx8

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
To the folks saying that none of the Ghostbusters cast have done anything worthwhile in a decade: the gently caress? Bill Murray?

The Monuments Men, St. Vincent, Lost in Translation, Hyde Park on Hudson, Moonrise Kingdom. That's just poo poo off the top of my head. :cmon:

Dan Aykryod is pants-making GBS threads insane and talking about Ghostbusters makes me sad. :rip: Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd's sanity.

Also: Melissa McCarthy is going to be in the Ghostbusters reboot, so I'm out. She's just not funny. I've seen her in two movies and her sense of humor just annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Defenders of the Earth did pretty much have the offspring around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLKzsynt5I

And it was awesome.

How has it been almost thirty years since that came out and this is the first I'm hearing of it?

• Locked thread