Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've been messing around with the particle wave from AF3 and it's not really doable to set it so that it's high enough that it doesn't completely encompass the ground and not be invisible since it seems the particle effect sort of takes up the entire world space as it is.

It seems like it's one of those things we're going to have to live with, sadly. I'm not nearly good enough at editing particles to 'fix' it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Swartz posted:

So tripping effect has arrived. It's WIP though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adUWKhjMowc

Many thanks to the wonderful Meltac (Dynamic Shaders mod for SOC).

P. cool, but it needs more synth music.

In all seriousness though, I think it could benefit from a second randomly selected color filter each time you take the drug, so you can have a 'good' or 'bad' trip. I can only imagine how amazingly off-putting it would be to have fluorescent colors one trip, and then a dark-rear end sepia filter another.
Maybe also add a slight camera wobble to make combat a bit more difficult?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Lacedaemonius posted:

P. cool, but it needs more synth music.

In all seriousness though, I think it could benefit from a second randomly selected color filter each time you take the drug, so you can have a 'good' or 'bad' trip. I can only imagine how amazingly off-putting it would be to have fluorescent colors one trip, and then a dark-rear end sepia filter another.
Maybe also add a slight camera wobble to make combat a bit more difficult?

Dark sepia filter with those hallucinations you get when you take mental damage sounds like it'd really, really own. :allears:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Use wet surfaces to make the walls melt!!!

Also that sort of thing that makes things look like they're breathing... it's kinda subtle unless you stare at it, then it gets really trippy after a while.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

... blatant all out tree dance party

I want to see those trees bopping up and down and side to side, even more so if they can do it to music.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

Use wet surfaces to make the walls melt!!!

Haha, that would be awesome. I'll see what I can do.

NeoSeeker posted:

Also that sort of thing that makes things look like they're breathing... it's kinda subtle unless you stare at it, then it gets really trippy after a while.

I have no clue how to do this and I just now started importing new post processing shaders. Wall breathing effect would be would be a vertex shader, and I don't have a clue how to go about it, especially since I doubt anyone has made a similar shader that I could copy.

Gromit posted:

I want to see those trees bopping up and down and side to side, even more so if they can do it to music.

Impossible or insane amount of work, sorry.

As for other suggestions, I can add camera wobble easily. In terms of a sepia filter...why? I've probably tripped over 100 times and I don't recall ever having a sepia overlay to anything. Then again none of the examples posted are realistic portrayals of tripping.
Besides, I need to save some visual effects for marijuana and meth (I know they don't necessarily have any, but I'd like to give them both shader effects).

I'm uploading a video to my page as soon as I'm able to make the news cycle again (couple hours) which is a combination of a sharpening effect, "gloom" coloring effect, and cartoon effect. Motion blur is also enabled though from the video I can tell it's not working correctly so I'll have to revisit that...
To do: Add pitch lua export for playing back sounds (so everyone talks and gunshots play in slowmo), get motion blur working correctly.

@Ddraig: No worries about the wave particles. I actually disabled them once before by either the script or messing with the particles. It was the very first version of Swartz mod that I posted ages ago when it was still SA-only, and probably doesn't exist anywhere anymore. I'll see if I can remember how to do it. If it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Swartz posted:

As for other suggestions, I can add camera wobble easily. In terms of a sepia filter...why? I've probably tripped over 100 times and I don't recall ever having a sepia overlay to anything. Then again none of the examples posted are realistic portrayals of tripping.
Besides, I need to save some visual effects for marijuana and meth (I know they don't necessarily have any, but I'd like to give them both shader effects).

I don't mean just a sepia filter, I mean an array of different color filters, and each time you do one of the hallucinogens it randomly picks one, so that each trip is different, and the novelty of the drugs lasts a lot longer.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
For marijuana you should just make the colors overall more vibrant, as if the weed is telling you "Hey, this Zone ain't so bad after all!"

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycl6y4odofQ
:smuggo:

@Lacedaemonius: Sounds like a lot more work to code, but I'll think about it for sure.

@Junk: Yeah, more vibrant colors is probably enough in terms of shaders. Definitely need to increase satiety though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Swartz posted:

Impossible or insane amount of work, sorry.

Ha, I wasn't being serious. Dancing trees don't belong in the Zone, they need to be dour and uncaring.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Swartz posted:

I have no clue how to do this and I just now started importing new post processing shaders. Wall breathing effect would be would be a vertex shader, and I don't have a clue how to go about it, especially since I doubt anyone has made a similar shader that I could copy.

You could do some kind of fisheye effect that's only applied to the object itself... if the game even supports object motion blur. I have a loose grasp on this stuff though and I'll just leave it to the people who know what they're doing.

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012
Any experiences of Autumn Aurora? I've checked out some clips and it looks pretty cool, but how does it play? I'm thinking about doing Misery or Autumn Aurora. I tried Misery a long time ago, but it started crashing horribly for me so I had to uninstall it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I loved Autumn Aurora, though if you want a colourful zone then it's not the mod for you. Are you talking about SOC or COP here as as far as I know AA is for the former and Misery for the latter? AA is not as punishing as Misery but when you install you can choose Misery style scopes and a couple of other options that affect the look of the game.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

You can add all three games to GoG now, if you have the appropriate serial.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well that's pretty cool. Already got the Steam versions but DRM free versions may be useful at some point I guess.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Has anyone noticed all the games received updates on steam?

live free or dont
Apr 13, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I loved Autumn Aurora, though if you want a colourful zone then it's not the mod for you. Are you talking about SOC or COP here as as far as I know AA is for the former and Misery for the latter? AA is not as punishing as Misery but when you install you can choose Misery style scopes and a couple of other options that affect the look of the game.

Yeah, I played Misery on CoP and it was punishing, but I loved it. Too bad it crashed all the time I think it was a really early version that I played a long time ago. I think I might have lost my SHOC disc so I might need to buy the game again to try Autumn Aurora, which sucks because I am an unemployed poor rat at the moment.

Aaand now in Lost Alpha I got to the swamps and got the cutscene with some kind of Illuminati bullshit and a hooded magician? What the gently caress. I think I'm done with this.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Lost Alpha gets much worse.

I'll spoil the ending for you:

That hooded figure with the weird eyes is the representative of the illuminati enlightened. They have existed for millenia and are the driving force behind humanity's ambition to become something greater. I guess the Zone is their ultimate test, and they created it. So all that crap with the labs and the experiments on Sin and such? All a complete load of crap, it was actually the illuminati all along

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

nexus6 posted:

Has anyone noticed all the games received updates on steam?

Does somebody know if this fixes the x ray engine crash?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Kr7stof posted:

If it's the one caused by Steam, there is a fix .exe I'm pretty sure is linked in this thread somewhere. I know that doesn't help much, but its worth a look. Hopefully the OP sees these and relinks it.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kr7stof posted:

Which crash are you referring to?

Just removed the static lighting/DX8 renderer. Outdated, people with old-rear end hardware will complain when certain things don't work, etc. It basically just saves me a bit of a headache to remove it.

Oh yeah, and it looks like a genuine C++ programmer joined the team, so if anyone has some engine-related suggestions let 'em rip.

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Swartz posted:

Which crash are you referring to?

Just removed the static lighting/DX8 renderer. Outdated, people with old-rear end hardware will complain when certain things don't work, etc. It basically just saves me a bit of a headache to remove it.

Oh yeah, and it looks like a genuine C++ programmer joined the team, so if anyone has some engine-related suggestions let 'em rip.

I always get the same crash:

x-ray 1.6 engine has stopped working. I tryed just now and the game still crashes. Both SOC and COP.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Sajeezzar posted:

Any experiences of Autumn Aurora? I've checked out some clips and it looks pretty cool, but how does it play? I'm thinking about doing Misery or Autumn Aurora. I tried Misery a long time ago, but it started crashing horribly for me so I had to uninstall it.

I played AA2 way back when the ENB would crash peoples' games and I quite enjoyed it as a sort of Vanilla+ experience. Pretty good if that's all you want. Misery's nice if you can get past the brown and brown color palette, but thanks to Trojanuch's idiotic design decisions you need a quality of life patch just to make it playable. I recommend Les Miserables.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Sajeezzar posted:

Some things it adds are kinda weak, but overall it's not a bad stalker mod at all. It's worth a playthrough if it seems interesting to you, I'd say.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Kr7stof posted:

I always get the same crash:

x-ray 1.6 engine has stopped working. I tryed just now and the game still crashes. Both SOC and COP.

Same here. Just tried to load up Misery 1.5, but it never finishes loading a save. I hate it when Steam does bullshit like this and you can't turn it off. Is there any way to fix this crap or are my saves hosed?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
So, after having SoC and CoP laying around in my Steam library for ages and finally decided I'd give it an honest go.

Turns out I really dig these games. So, uh, thanks for this thread I guess. It's what got me started at all.

Also am I crazy for thinking of this as the FPS equivalent of dark souls?

And finally: a real question.
It seems the improved shaders are only available for SoC; there are files for CoP but they don't seem to actually work?

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 2, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There are shader mods for COP but they're largely irrelevant. When they made COP they pretty much took all the stuff from the improved shaders and actually built the COP shaders on them.

There is a 'graphical overhaul' mod for COP that adds in a few 'cut' features to the game like ingame antialiasing, DX10.1 etc.

It's called PCFM and it's in Russian. I'm sure I've got it somewhere. I'll do a quick translation of the options and upload it to mediafire tomorrow probably.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Well, I still got it looking good with atmosfear, some texture-packs, maxed out settings and all that.

Just felt like something was missing, might be the depth of field I got in SoC?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

There are shader mods for COP but they're largely irrelevant. When they made COP they pretty much took all the stuff from the improved shaders and actually built the COP shaders on them.

There is a 'graphical overhaul' mod for COP that adds in a few 'cut' features to the game like ingame antialiasing, DX10.1 etc.

It's called PCFM and it's in Russian. I'm sure I've got it somewhere. I'll do a quick translation of the options and upload it to mediafire tomorrow probably.

The game already has AA and DX10.1, they may not be in the menu but the console commands are there and work.

I'm assuming the mod adds them to the menu.

In the process of adding FXAA to the engine for DX9. I'd do SMAA but I'm still new to this and it's a little more complex, plus there's an fxaa shader available on a stalker repo, but its for dx11. I just need to convert it to DX9.
Why DX9? Because r2_aa sucks, and R2 doesn't have proper antialising available yet. R3&4 can use MSAA until something better comes along.

Then I'm going to look into converting the wet surfaces effect from DX10 back down to 9. It doesn't look hard, I'll find out if they cut if for performance reasons though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ahundredbux posted:

Well, I still got it looking good with atmosfear, some texture-packs, maxed out settings and all that.

Just felt like something was missing, might be the depth of field I got in SoC?

Call of Pripyat has depth of field by default but it's not really utilized that much, I believe. Mainly for reloading, I think

Atmosfear includes DOF for its weather effects.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

E: nvm, I fixed it.

Appoda fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 3, 2015

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
So Im re downloading Call of pripyat on steam for the first time since like 2012. What is the current recommended mod / mods to install? I'm going to install the LUA bugfix from the OP but Swartz mod is dead apparently? And I'm not sure if I should try SGM

EIDT: Okay never mind, the LL fix in the OP is set to private so I cant download it. Wonderful.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 3, 2015

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
So I got another crash. Every time I try to enter lab X14 in Rostok Factory on Lost Alpha with Ddraig's mod, gives me this error report:

Expression : ovi->rate==44100
Function : CSoundRender_Source::LoadWave
File : SoundRender_Source_loader.cpp
Line : 71
Description : Invalid source rate:
Arguments : c:\program files (x86)\s.t.a.l.k.e.r. - lost alpha\gamedata\sounds\detectors\da-2_noise1_loop.ogg

Exception Reason
XR_3DA.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Lost Alpha\bins\xrCore.dll" at 0023:73384188, xrDebug::backend()+168 byte(s)

Damnit Stalker LA, can't you see I'm trying to tell you I love you!

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, these are not the proper crash logs.

Go into your Stalker appdata folder and find the only text document in logs that you can open. Post the "Fatal Error" section.

With these generic messages the game spits out it's impossible to decipher anything.

*Edit*: Except for OhGreatAGinger. That sounds like they forgot to save that particular file in the proper format for the game. If you know how to edit Xray ogg files go ahead and re-comment it, otherwise tell Team Dezowave that they're incompetent.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

Swartz posted:

*Edit*: Except for OhGreatAGinger. That sounds like they forgot to save that particular file in the proper format for the game. If you know how to edit Xray ogg files go ahead and re-comment it, otherwise tell Team Dezowave that they're incompetent.

Well, if it's a problem with the format it might actually be an oops by Ddraig as the gamedata folder doesn't exist for a standard install of Lost Alpha without installing his mod.

Removing the file in question allowed X14 to load without crashing. Though if you or anyone wouldn't mind, how would one go about editing Xray ogg files? Not knowing how important that file is, just taking it out feels a bit like pulling out a random tube in a car engine... or at least the car's radio.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
http://www.kommandostore.com/by-country/poland/genuine-tourists-delight-canned-pork.html

Holy poo poo, it's real.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Well, if it's a problem with the format it might actually be an oops by Ddraig as the gamedata folder doesn't exist for a standard install of Lost Alpha without installing his mod.

Removing the file in question allowed X14 to load without crashing. Though if you or anyone wouldn't mind, how would one go about editing Xray ogg files? Not knowing how important that file is, just taking it out feels a bit like pulling out a random tube in a car engine... or at least the car's radio.

That file isn't particularly important, it's just a slight QOL thing to fix the detector beeps when you get too close to an anomaly.

A lot of people have had problem with that particular file it seems. It's from Chriotmao's change pack.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah, ogg is just an audio file format, not specific to xray either.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Living in the UK is pretty cool as we have a large polish community so there's a ton of polish shops where you can get cool stuff like this. Haven't actually encountered a tin of konserwa but a few other neat things.

e: Also Swartz, I'm not sure how easy this would be, and you could probably do it with net_packets (but working with them can be a pain in the rear end and I'm not hugely familiar) but it would be great if there was a way to change the properties of artefacts and anomalies (such as anomaly hit power) etc, as I'd like certain artefacts/anomalies to become 'overcharged' after a surge and be slightly more powerful.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

e: Also Swartz, I'm not sure how easy this would be, and you could probably do it with net_packets (but working with them can be a pain in the rear end and I'm not hugely familiar) but it would be great if there was a way to change the properties of artefacts and anomalies (such as anomaly hit power) etc, as I'd like certain artefacts/anomalies to become 'overcharged' after a surge and be slightly more powerful.

I'm pretty sure you can already do this via the scripts.

Found these callbacks in the code:
code:
        .def("enable_anomaly",              &CScriptGameObject::EnableAnomaly)
        .def("disable_anomaly",             &CScriptGameObject::DisableAnomaly)
        .def("get_anomaly_power",			&CScriptGameObject::GetAnomalyPower)
        .def("set_anomaly_power",			&CScriptGameObject::SetAnomalyPower)
Edit: As for artefacts, I'll add some callbacks.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 3, 2015